Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*lsv's wife comes out of bathroom holding pregnancy test* good news honey, we "got there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
sperm are like mind's desire flips: if you can generate enough of them, at least one of them will probably give you what you need

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

little munchkin posted:

*lsv's wife comes out of bathroom holding pregnancy test* good news honey, we "got there"

Storm count at 1. She'll get hit with tendrils of agony then empty the warrens.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I can't wait for every rare I open at the pre-release to be a lovely, narrow, unplayable land or a legendary enchantment that cares about a card type I don't have any of.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

I can't wait for every rare I open at the pre-release to be the same legendary enchantment that cares about a card type I don't have any of.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Balon posted:

I can't wait for every rare I open at the pre-release to be a lovely, narrow, unplayable land or a legendary enchantment that cares about a card type I don't have any of.

Speak for yourself. I'm gonna play with all the wastelands and strip mines I open!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Balon posted:

So far every single one of the enchantments has been at least playable in limited - the White one is probably even Good in a 2 color Ally deck. I'm sure the red one will be utter garbage though, so enjoy 6 of those.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

New? (I think it was leaked in another language)

i liked this

Interesting that it's "spells with devoid" and not "colorless spells". They didn't want to enable sunburst artifacts?

Speaking of devoid, if a creature with devoid loses all its abilities (say, from Turn to Frog or the like), does it gain whatever colors are in its casting cost?

e: Actually it looks like most Remove Ability cards actually set a color. Darksteel Mutation then? Or Humble / Humility?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Entropic posted:

Speaking of devoid, if a creature with devoid loses all its abilities (say, from Turn to Frog or the like), does it gain whatever colors are in its casting cost?

e: Actually it looks like most Remove Ability cards actually set a color. Darksteel Mutation then? Or Humble / Humility?
No, they stay colorless. Color-changing effects are on layer 5; ability-removing effects are on layer 6.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My question is: are they really that likely to kill Amulet Bloom this time, or is it people just grousing about combos?

They just reprinted a bunch of amulet bloom pieces in MM2015, in the bounce lands and the Primeval Titans, and it's obviously not super overpowered, as it's only 5 percent of the field for all of 2015, only 5 percent for the last two months, and isn't being adopted by large swaths of the player base.

It's a good deck, yeah, but it's not the most oppressive deck. You can't just give copies to 8 people and send them out to win 8 tournaments without a shitload of practice.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

kizudarake posted:

My question is: are they really that likely to kill Amulet Bloom this time, or is it people just grousing about combos?

They just reprinted a bunch of amulet bloom pieces in MM2015, in the bounce lands and the Primeval Titans, and it's obviously not super overpowered, as it's only 5 percent of the field for all of 2015, only 5 percent for the last two months, and isn't being adopted by large swaths of the player base.

It's a good deck, yeah, but it's not the most oppressive deck.

There are times when it goes off and there is literally nothing you can do about it. Sometimes this is as early as turn 2, on the play. It also violates Modern's single fundamental rule so it's basically hosed.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 5, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Klomparens (TCG writer) brings up an astute point regarding the effect of Nissa's oath on standard. If it ends up widely played it'll significantly weaken Dromoka's Command's stranglehold on enchantment based strategies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Klomparens (TCG writer) brings up an astute point regarding the effect of Nissa's oath on standard. If it ends up widely played it'll significantly weaken Dromoka's Command's stranglehold on enchantment based strategies.

Please give me more reasons to buy it in foil.

Edit: Also spoil the standard staple mythic red dragon already.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 5, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I've said this before, but you could keep 95% of Amulet Bloom legal, viable, and still dangerous by just banning Hive Mind. It removes the need for Simian Spirit Guide, forces the Bloom player to win through combat damage with vulnerable creatures, and while the chance of a nut hand is still possible, you basically need a perfect hand.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Niton posted:

There are times when it goes off and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

Sounds like every combo deck, though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

kizudarake posted:

Sounds like every combo deck, though.

Bloom can go off before their opponent gets to play a second land. Modern doesn't have the cards available where it's reasonable to expect decks to consistently have answers to something like that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

My only misgiving about that is that you don't necessarily want to play Oath of Nissa in an enchantment-heavy deck (since it can't find enchantments!). But 4 Oath of Nissa, 4-8 [enchantment you care about] is probably fine.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Please give me more reasons to buy it in foil.

Edit: Also spoil the standard staple mythic red dragon already.

They already did, its called Goblin Dark-Dwellers, c.f. Stormbreath Dragon.

kizudarake posted:

It's a good deck, yeah, but it's not the most oppressive deck. You can't just give copies to 8 people and send them out to win 8 tournaments without a shitload of practice.

"The most oppressive deck" is and never has been an actual ban criteria. It's metagame position is very close to where Storm's was when Seething Song got the axe. It's unfun, uninteractive and makes tournaments very random since some decks eat it like Twin does and some decks cannot beat it at all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 5, 2016

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Bloom can go off before their opponent gets to play a second land. Modern doesn't have the cards available where it's reasonable to expect decks to consistently have answers to something like that.

They just printed that blue 1 mana counter instant spell unless that spell's controller pays 4 mana in BFZ. Bam, Summer Bloom is hosed on turn 2.

Also, thoughtseize, and other variations of thoughtseize exist, and you can thoughtseize summer bloom or amulet of vigor, and pay 1 black phyrexian to surgically extract all copies of either.

Granted, shatter costs 1R to kill Amulet, and Back to Nature costs 1g to kill hive mind, but most red decks in modern can include Simian Spirit Guide to cheat out an extra red.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 5, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

kizudarake posted:

They just printed that blue 1 mana counter instant spell unless that spell's controller pays 4 mana in BFZ.

Spell shrivel is 3 mana and dispel only counters instants and doesn't have pay 4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I wish they would just print shocklamds at uncommon (or common!), it wouldn't break limited and might make constructed a bit more affordable. All the new lovely cycles of bad lands are a bit annoying.

It might also be interesting to have a shockland variant whee you didn't get to choose, I.e. it always came into play untapped and shocked you/gained your opponent life.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

pointsofdata posted:

I wish they would just print shocklamds at uncommon (or common!), it wouldn't break limited and might make constructed a bit more affordable. All the new lovely cycles of bad lands are a bit annoying.

It might also be interesting to have a shockland variant whee you didn't get to choose, I.e. it always came into play untapped and shocked you/gained your opponent life.

A typed dual that always gave your opponent life would be way too good unless maybe (and this is a big maybe) it was like W/R or B/R. poo poo like that just goes into control and makes it way better.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
[/QUOTE]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Prowess lives

Green better be good, the Baloth is my kind of card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Finally, a UR card I'm actually excited about for my Cube.

It's no Wee Dragonauts or Nivix Cyclops, but it's still pretty strong. The Baloth is also great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Weapons trainer, the real payoff for drafting bone saw.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think that hunk is a she, Marshall

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Weaons Trainer looks cyberpunk as heck. Wait no, dungeonpunk. Also where is he standing, what are those clouds doing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Void Grafter looks fantastic and like an absolute motherfucker to try to play around.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Honestly given that Weapons Trainer doesn't have Chief of the Scale's type restriction and the sheer number of token producers in R and W, there's something to be said about how disappointing Relic Seeker looks.

Also Bant Eldrazi comin' along with Proof Grafter to protect FlickerDrazi

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 5, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cliffhaven Vampire looks good for the existing BW limited deck, and combos with Exquisite Blood in my EDH deck.

I the Baloth Null flavor is fun, the mage seems really strong in the right deck so long as flying remains as good as it has done. Grafter continues the tradition of solid UG flash dudes and is a pretty flexible trick. Weapons trainer ehhhh. 3/2 for 2 different colors is only oksy, and to count on the ability you're running too many equipments.

Zoness posted:

Honestly given that Weapons Trainer doesn't have Chief of the Scale's type restriction and the sheer number of token producers in R and W, there's something to be said about how disappointing Relic Seeker looks.

Also Bant Eldrazi comin' along with Proof Grafter to protect FlickerDrazi

That's hot.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

kizudarake posted:

Granted, shatter costs 1R to kill Amulet, and Back to Nature costs 1g to kill hive mind, but most red decks in modern can include Simian Spirit Guide to cheat out an extra red.

The way Hive Mind works with priority, you don't have a chance to remove it before they can cast a pact. That's what makes it hard.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Spell shrivel is 3 mana and dispel only counters instants and doesn't have pay 4

Dispel counters summer bloom for U, though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

kizudarake posted:

Dispel counters summer bloom for U, though.

Sorcery

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Reprint Envelop 2016

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Spell Snare works, but we were trying to find non-blue answers anyway I thought...

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Voyager I posted:

Infect can win on turn 2 also. This weekend on camera it won on turn 2 and turn 3 in consecutive games. Nobody is calling for anything to happen to that deck and it is about the same portion of the meta and puts up more consistent results.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mana tithe. Turn 1 Griselbrand into Borborygmos.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

standard.deviant posted:

Spell Snare works, but we were trying to find non-blue answers anyway I thought...

there's always ghost quarter. Pop their karoo with the untap and bounce triggers on the stack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Baloth Null will be really good, as long as green is playable. Dutiful Return is a card that can be powerful but it's just too often blank when you don't have two dorks in your yard. Baloth Null is never blank and can get one or two creatures back (which by turn 6 you will presumably have).

Plus, getting back Eyeless Watcher or Brood Monitor has to be great, not to mention getting another shot at your processors.

• Locked thread