Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Superior Bastard posted:

Cruising around in Ecto 1 vacuuming up ghosts while jamming out to the Ghostbusters theme song. That game was so drat repetitive but a classic nonetheless.
I had such good memories of that (and the other game) from being a kid, but there are just some things that are better left as memories and not revisited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Mak0rz posted:

My first was a SB PCI128

Yeah I had one of those cards in a Socket 370 system, about the only PCI sound card in those times that even remotely sounded as well as the old SB16. As a matter of fact, I think I still have that card kicking around somewhere.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Jun 24, 2020

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Data Graham posted:

parallel communication ports/cables

Who the hell were Centronics anyway

wikipedia posted:

Centronics began as a division of Wang Laboratories
Nice

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Making cross over cables. Before companies started making routers for the consumer market, it was the only way I could share my cable modem connection on two machines.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

slidebite posted:

I would be utterly horrified if anything sounded remotely like that on my PC. :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmoDLyiQYKw

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
SCSI was so much fun!

My dad owned a small business, so we always had cast-off computer equipment trickle down to home, but it meant everything was cobbled together from random poo poo. Finding the right SCSI adapter was a hoot.

We had a 9gb external SCSI hard drive in the... late 90s? It was a foot long (I measured it once), maybe 6" tall and 7" wide, weighed a ton, and sounded like an airplane taking off. I accidentally gouged a big trail on the pine desk once when I tried to slide it forward. I hated that thing so much.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chief McHeath posted:

Cable chat reminded me of these bad boys:

:holymoley: where the gently caress were these in my IDE days?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Well into this century I considered Soundblaster PCI cards necessary because I run a lot of Linux, and the driver support for onboard audio used to be really bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was the badass with the Sound Blaster Pro :smug:

Years later I upgraded to the Sound Blaster Live! I remember the MIDI tracks from Final Fantasy VII going from "sounds like it's being run off an SNES" to "sounds more accurate to real instruments than the original PSX version." EAX was the poo poo back then.

It also had 5.1 inputs, back in the day where you were lucky if your motherboard had onboard audio, period. Annoyingly, I had a set of Cambridge Soundworks satellite speakers that were wired as quadrophonic, not 4.1, I could never get surround sound to work , it just doubled the left and right channels to the 4 speakers (not that there was much that supported it back then, but DVDs and a couple of games and a Winamp plugin...) The gen1 Live! boards had some weird DAC issue that made the "rear channel" speakers output kind of lovely, too - for years and years I hosed around trying to diagnose that issue and never even thought it could possibly be the sound card itself.

Also, that screenshot makes me wonder how often Video Game Design Superstar Cliff Bleszinski is asked to autograph a 3.5" floppy version of Jazz Jackrabbit

e: I guess both Creative and EAX still exist? I didn't know that. The EAX demo that came on the driver CD used to scare the poo poo out of my mom with the thunder/lightning demo. I also have the following laying in a drawer:

(Zen Touch, 40GB)
(Zen Xtra, 40GB, removeable battery which was awesome)
(Zen Micro, 6GB, have 2 of these in black and green)

All but 1 of the Micros still work. Hell, I still use the Xtra on long flights because the battery life is great and my phone doesn't have removable storage. I also definitely owned a few of the Creative MP3-CD players. My friends were blown away by 200 tracks on 1 CD, and the fact that they read ID3 tags? Awesome.

e2: while I'm on the topic of old and awesome MP3 players, who else owned this loving thing:

bonus with super-awesome case:

The Rio Riot. I wanted so loving badly to love it. I knew my dad spent a ton on it for me, it had 20gb of space compared to the gen-1 iPods 5 or 10, looked sweet as hell, nice big display, etc. But it crashed loving CONSTANTLY. Not to mention an MP3 player that looks like a Game Gear should at least have Snake or something on it. It basically had a d-pad and a scroll wheel on it!

Oh yeah and transferring 20GB of MP3s at USB 1.1 speeds was an all-night affair. Not to mention that MP3s above 160kbps were basically unheard of, so it was a much larger number of smaller files. Oi.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jan 5, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I was the badass with the Sound Blaster Pro :smug:

Years later I upgraded to the Sound Blaster Live! I remember the MIDI tracks from Final Fantasy VII going from "sounds like it's being run off an SNES" to "sounds more accurate to real instruments than the original PSX version." EAX was the poo poo back then.

It also had 5.1 inputs, back in the day where you were lucky if your motherboard had onboard audio, period. Annoyingly, I had a set of Cambridge Soundworks satellite speakers that were wired as quadrophonic, not 4.1, I could never get surround sound to work , it just doubled the left and right channels to the 4 speakers (not that there was much that supported it back then, but DVDs and a couple of games and a Winamp plugin...) The gen1 Live! boards had some weird DAC issue that made the "rear channel" speakers output kind of lovely, too - for years and years I hosed around trying to diagnose that issue and never even thought it could possibly be the sound card itself.

Also, that screenshot makes me wonder how often Video Game Design Superstar Cliff Bleszinski is asked to autograph a 3.5" floppy version of Jazz Jackrabbit

e: I guess both Creative and EAX still exist? I didn't know that. The EAX demo that came on the driver CD used to scare the poo poo out of my mom with the thunder/lightning demo. I also have the following laying in a drawer:

(Zen Touch, 40GB)
(Zen Micro, 6GB, have 2 of these in black and green)

All but 1 of the Micros still work. Hell, I still use the Xtra on long flights because the battery life is great and my phone doesn't have removable storage. I also definitely owned a few of the Creative MP3-CD players. My friends were blown away by 200 tracks on 1 CD, and the fact that they read ID3 tags? Awesome.

Buddy , as a big sound nerd ,this post is extremely my poo poo.
I remember when we got our first tricked out Dell with a 5.1 sound card back in the early 00s. Oh my goddddd.

Oh and I had a Creative Zen vision M. I think it has maybe a 60gb HDD. The thing weighed a loving ton but I stored all my music at the time on it. When it broke... :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I remember when we got our first tricked out Dell with a 5.1 sound card back in the early 00s. Oh my goddddd.

Oh and I had a Creative Zen vision M. I think it has maybe a 60gb HDD. The thing weighed a loving ton but I stored all my music at the time on it. When it broke... :(

Ok so do you remember these bad boys:

I used those things for...13 years? I still have them, it's just the cables going to the speakers are at this point more solder and electrical tape than actual wire. Someday I'll open them up and replace the wires entirely; clean off all the gunk from the million times I glued/taped the speakers/volume control to various things, etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The speakers we got back with the Dell were so loving good. I think my younger brother took the sound card for his new PC. It's probably the oldest piece of tech in the thing but it still does 5.1, digital optical and all sorts of other stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I mean I'm not a huge sound nerd but I was downloading MP3s at 320 whenever possible way back when, and was an early adopter of VBR. The Creative players always sounded better than the competition, though whether that was placebo or not :iiam:

Ugh I wanted a Vision M so bad but I think at that point I was loving about with MiniDiscs for some idiotic reason so I spent money on that dumb dead technology instead

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV they sure are! VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jan 5, 2016

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

I used those things for...13 years? I still have them, it's just the cables going to the speakers are at this point more solder and electrical tape than actual wire. Someday I'll open them up and replace the wires entirely; clean off all the gunk from the million times I glued/taped the speakers/volume control to various things, etc.

Are those Cambridge Soundworks speakers? I had those for a long drat time with my Gateway until they were finally replaced by Boston Acoustics. I had those forever until last year when I replaced them with Definitive Technology speakers. Sound is where it's at.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

For the record I was too young for these:

and these:

But had several of these:

and one or two of these:

e: lol the evolution of the MP3 player is a long and sordid journey

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh man, having a B: drive.

e: why is it that C: is the default and A: is the default for 3.5" floppies?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Man, people bring old poo poo to our IT desk all the time. I'll have to see what I can dig up and get some pictures.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've also got all the early MacAddict's

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Because the system would boot from floppies first, if inserted while booting the computer. Hence, A and B before C.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Anyone remember the old ISA SB16s? Onboard audio took a really long time to match these bad boys.

Yes I'll be dying alone and unloved surrounded by my Socket 7 poo poo. :spergin:

GUS Max motherfuckers- It was the only thing that could keep up with Amigas at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuj6Lug90xM

Philthy has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Jan 5, 2016

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Got these at a yard sale for a dollar, minus two speakers and the volume knob. This seemingly forces them to max out their range unless the volume is controlled within another device. Turning them on the first time was a hell of a surprise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hard drives started out as add-on luxuries.

For the longest time a tricked-out PC was one with dual floppy drives, A: and B: -- usually both 5.25" or both 3.5", but mine had one of each :slick:

But if you were really hot poo poo, you had a hard drive too, and that was naturally just a big volume to store data; it wasn't a boot disk or anything. So it was C: .

A couple years of that being the status quo, and by the time hard drives started being standard equipment, all the software in the world had been written to assume the two-floppies-plus-maybe-a-hard-disk setup, often with drive letters hard-coded and printed in a million copies of glossy manuals.

It was simpler to just get used to your main drive being a hard disk called "C:" than to try to force the world to redo all its legacy poo poo just for the sake of elegance. (After all, if elegance was what you wanted, let's face it, drive letters and 8.3 filenames were not a hill you wanted to die on anyway.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

wow nice post. my mom still uses my zen xtra as her car audio source. she said it works just fine.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

thathonkey posted:

wow nice post. my mom still uses my zen xtra as her car audio source. she said it works just fine.

I have two 80GB Zunes, both with dead hard drives. Now we just use Plex.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I work at a CNC shop and we have $100,000 machines hooked up to old gateway moo machines running windows 95. The newspaper the keyboard sits on has an advert for "American Beauty" in theaters.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

I remember hating the Live! for this. Game music that I had listened to for years suddenly sounded different. Also I played a lot of old DOS games well into the early 00's on account of being dirt poor and I recall there being a lot of compatibility issues with Live! cards.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
there's an array of digital blasphemy wallpapers everyone had at one point id try and find some but their site is all fucky now

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my dad's boss had this game on his work PC and I used to sit there and play it all day

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

oh man what about PC Gamer demo discs?

you 'd put it in and it was like a room loaded and you could click around and get options to install different game demos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ehud posted:

you 'd put it in and it was like a room loaded and you could click around and get options to install different game demos

"Hello, I am Coconut Monkey."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The_Franz posted:

"Hello, I am Coconut Monkey."

god you just blew my mind

I found a video of the demo disc thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Acpv3GJFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPsiJOO5UMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LndMUMG77Y

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

No joke, I used these with a power inverter in my first car. I had the little speakers and sub under my seat covers front and rear. Sound was via a battery powered cd player.
The best part was with my headlights on and the inverter my fuse would blow, so at night I'd need to choose.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVQq6lYWII4

Demo 1 anyone?

Not quite computer, but still classic

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Ehud posted:

They Hunger. That, and all the wonderful golden age of HL1 mods in general. Going to Planethalflife.com for the latest stuff...

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The best MP3 player I ever used was an iRiver H10. Sound was awesome, but it was the glitchiest piece of poo poo I've ever owned. My Zen Micro Photo was pretty sweet, but finally quit turning on aside from the glowing ring around the face.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I had a KOSS system similar to this. It was during my "I want to have cool things even though I wouldn't know what to do with it" phase. I didn't have much to make use of it, really. Some DVDs were nice though.

Half-Life was a whole new experience with that setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My grandpa originally got this monitor stand power strip thing for his Micron PC in 1994. It has been connected to ever computer he's had since then.