Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
That leg injury on top of being 500+ pounds really did a number on the Big Man. Hopefully he has one last burst in him before retiring to join the WWE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

:rip: Little Time Sim Sam, well on the way to becoming a permanent replacement player. Still kind of starting, but not for long, I'd wager.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can't believe the HoF dropped Ichiro. This is rapidly becoming the worst timeline.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

I can't believe the HoF dropped Ichiro. This is rapidly becoming the worst timeline.

tbf the unfeeling machine probably saw his career OPS+ and thought he was a fringe HoF candidate at best.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The gently caress, did Andrew McCutchen rape the president between seasons or something? What's with him dropping from 14.1 to 4.3 and being eliminated in just his second year?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
RIP Ammat O'Goku, at you got to be an all-star once.

Do all the retired players get converted into coaches, not just the ones who never made it to MLB? And if so, are any Goons coaching for teams of note?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Iceberg is gonna linger around to 38 as a journeyman 1B

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Inspector_666 posted:

DH rule abolished, A-Rod unanimously elected, Ichiro dropped

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ALFbrot posted:

The gently caress, did Andrew McCutchen rape the president between seasons or something? What's with him dropping from 14.1 to 4.3 and being eliminated in just his second year?

Strong first year class stealing votes I presume.

Also why do people keep putting A-Rod's unanimous induction with the bad things when it's the best thing to come from this thread?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doltos posted:

It was bad, then the best timeline, and now it's awful!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

It was bad, then the best timeline, and now it's awful!

IcePhoenix posted:

Strong first year class stealing votes I presume.

Also why do people keep putting A-Rod's unanimous induction with the bad things when it's the best thing to come from this thread?

Doltos posted:

You guys area also forgetting the four Cubs WS victories, including a three-peat! The culmination of Theo's genius.

I also think part of Ichiro's problem is that the game doesn't model certain intangibles (like first big Japanese import) nor his career in Japan, and thus can't extrapolate just how legendary Ichiro's stats would have been if he didn't spend his first 8 or 9 years in Japan. That and just the voters being generally terrible.

ALFbrot posted:

God-President Trump does the raping, he does not get raped. The voters are just morons.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

RIP Ammat O'Goku, at you got to be an all-star once.

Do all the retired players get converted into coaches, not just the ones who never made it to MLB? And if so, are any Goons coaching for teams of note?

All retired players have been made into coaches. The problem right now is that most of them are young and inexperienced, and it takes time to move up through the coaching ranks to do anything of note. I'll do a quick write up on their current status, and go back and revisit them after our boys are retired.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Poor Seth's career is so down the tubes he doesn't even get to be in the player status updates at the end of the season anymore. :smith:

I hope he's doing alright in AAA because this contract is probably his last one.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quick announcement: I will be without reliable internet and computer due to a trip for about a week, but will continue (and likely finish very quickly) this sim as soon as I return!

I tried to get through it before this trip, since we're pretty close to goons reaching the end of their careers, but it shouldn't be much longer yet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

You guys area also forgetting the four Cubs WS victories, including a three-peat! The culmination of Theo's genius.

All retired players have been made into coaches. The problem right now is that most of them are young and inexperienced, and it takes time to move up through the coaching ranks to do anything of note. I'll do a quick write up on their current status, and go back and revisit them after our boys are retired.

I didn't forget anything :colbert:

Also your coaches thing reminded me of this from my single player OOTP game

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
Mr. Belig's apparently just been playing the long con this whole time...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have returned from my trip abroad, and it will soon be time to finish this baby and see how our goons play out their twilight years!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2030 Season

We now enter the 2030's, but few goons have survived. It has been a full 15 seasons since the first draft. Of the 43 original goons, only 12 have major league jobs, with 5 more waiting in free agency for another chance at the majors.

2030 Opening Day Status

Anyone not listed here is a free agent, except for Seth Iroth

Don't fret too much Chuck Johnson, while you'll be on the bench for opening day in your new LA stadium, it's only a one week injury due to "back stiffness". I'd be more concerned that your injury status is now "wrecked". :catstare:

Also, good work Simon "Second Chance" MacGregor. Despite your constant mediocrity, you're back in the Mets' starting lineup, batting first for some reason.

The most shocking thing is that Raul Ordonez is still a free agent. He still plays great defense at a key position, and while he's declined in offensive ability a bit, is well worth hiring. I don't know why no one has gone for him, but I really doubt it'll last much longer.

It should also be noted that Sam Booty somehow made the Cubs starting lineup (replacing the departing Krusty Unts), while Belig rides the bench. This also makes Belig the only bench batter right now, but that will likely change.

It feels good to be right. Why it took a week into the season for Ordonez to find a home is beyond me. Welcome to the Mariners, Raul!

6.5 million is solid, but at his age, I'd have looked for more than 2 years.

The Mets don't seem concerned about Bukowski's age, so he gets to keep playing for his childhood team until he is 35. And for great money too. This is wonderful, and if the Mets stay even decent, he may just make the top 10 in career saves.

:negative:. Fuuuuuuck. Hardslab has a date with whoever is the new Dr. Andrews in the 2030's. This is a really nasty injury, and it may cut his career short or impact his ability to pitch next year. This really sucks!

Johnson is traded again! I thought he would go to SF (or SD) just to spite me, but now he's a Red.

MLB All Star Break Stats

Congrats to Mike Bukowski on his sixth All-Star appearance, the most among all goons! The way things are going, he may be the longest lived goon, at least in terms of actually being good.

Batting

So much disappointment! I would say Booty and MacGregor were lacking, but hey, at least Booty is still starting in the majors! (MacGregor was summarily demoted to the bench, again).

The best thing about the All-Star break stats is the breakout of Bill Hrenchuk, who seems to enjoy his time outside of his San Diego prison. He signed a 700k contract for one year with Houston, and is playing better than any other goon, albeit over a limited sample.

Ordonez is also sucking, as his injury status has declined, and he now has constantly recurring back spasms that have already made him miss six weeks of play.

Should I be disappointed that Fostolfur has so few dingers in Colorado? Because I am. Same goes for you, Chuck Johnson. You're not in SF anymore, pick it up!

Pitching

Mike Bukowski :swoon:

300 Saves! :toot:. This would make him 26th overall in career saves in 2016, and at this rate, 400 looks doable. Don't think you'll quite make the 653 you'd need to be the top leader overall, though, unless you play into your 50's.

That's better Fostolfur, but more dingers please.

I wanna congratulate you Bissel, but you also lack dingers.

Raul Ordonez finishes the season strong, but it was still a bit of a disappointment throughout the year. I hope it's just one of those injury recovery years, and he bounces back next year.

2030 Regular Season Standings

Goon playoff potential! Finally!

That's because the Mets are actually good for once, and with their divisional title, Mike Bukowski, Krusty Unts, and Simon MacGregor all get a shot at a ring. This may be the most goons ever on a single playoff team, but Arizona might have rivaled that when O'Goku, Callahan, and Hardslab were all there.

Speaking of, Hardslab could get a ring if division winner Arizona makes it to the World Series, but he won't see any action himself, as he recovers from his injury.

Raul Ordonez may get a shot too, as his Mariners are wild card contenders. Cleveland will also give it a wild card try, granting Bissel his own shot at a playoff run. Too bad one of them will be eliminated right away.

It should be noted that Houston won their division, but Bill Hrenchuk was demoted to AAA, so he may not see any action in the playoffs.

2030 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

Kirby's two hits weren't too shabby, but Raul Ordonez made the difference for Seattle, with three hits and an RBI in a 6 - 5 victory, knocking out Cleveland early in the playoffs.

Division Series

Ordonez does work again in the ALDS, demolishing Houston 3 games to 0, and serving as a key contributor in the process. He should be ALDS MVP, but his teammate Kevin Roberts hit two dingers, which apparently makes Raul's better contribution in every other category less meaningful. :shrug:

The Mets Mets'd it up, and instantly got swept by a Hardslab-less Arizona. MacGregor did little, and Krusty didn't even play. Bukowski even hosed up, suffering a loss by giving up two runs in his only appearance. :rip: Mets.

Championship Series

Raul Ordonez is the only one to survive into the LCS, and does his job again, resulting in another sweep over Boston.

World Seres

The sweeps continue, but as Ordonez is shut down, so is his team. Superstar Milwaukee ace Kendall Graveman, now 39 years old, is simply too strong for them. :psyduck:

Seattle will never win a World Series, and they shall be struck down for their hubris for even making it to the WS in the first place.

Full Playoff Tree

Shameful display, goons.

2030 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Robbie Hartley
NL MVP: Joe Seals
AL Cy Young: Sam McCollough
NL Cy Young: Damian Cunningham
NL Reliever of the Year: Mike Bukowski :woop:

Good work Bukowski! The only award, and only All-Star. You might just be the last goon in the majors, and have a yearly update all to yourself some day.

And in the offseason, I realize something weird:

First, Hockles is traded to KC, which isn't all that interesting in and of itself. But look at that ERA! Hockles managed to pitch an identical ERA between 2029 and 2030. But not just that:

He did it over the exact same number of innings, and thus surrendered exactly the same number of earned runs! Weird.

2030 Hall of Fame Results

Robinson Cano and Clayton Kershaw are inducted into the Hall of Fame, on their sixth and second years respectively. That seems reasonable, as both players are very good, and if their careers continue on their current trajectories they've got a good shot.

2030 Player Status

Oh God, it's all crashing down. MacGregor, Hrenchuk, Callahan, and New Concept all exhaust their short term contracts and are thrust into free agency.

Also a free agent is none other than Krusty Unts, who is now aging and not very good. Remember when I told you that a 2 year contract was a bad idea, Krusty? You should have Goddamn listened, you idiot!

Batting Stats

The aging is apparent, but some of you stare still managing to maintain relevance. Bissel and McGee are doing a great job at leveraging their defensive prowess to maintain decent WAR's despite some mediocre hitting.

Fostolfur seems to be liking Colorado, and while the dingers haven't been as plentiful as I had hoped, he's doing a decent job getting on base and not striking out. It's all rather impressive, considering he had to survive the death of the DH to get here.

Johnson isn't thriving in Cincinnati, but his dinger count is staying high, and only Raul Ordonez can still match him.

The biggest disappointments were easily Krusty Unts and Nelson Frazier, both of whom missed considerable time with injuries and cold spells that resulted in their benching. I'm worried about what kind of contract Krusty is gonna get, and what's going to happen to Nelson once his current contract is up in a year.

Pitching Stats

Obviously, Hardslab's injury hurt our pitching corps badly, but Bukowski just seems to get better with time. 41 saves is really, really impressive! I wonder how many he'd have if he actually played for a good team most of his career, rather than the Pirates and Mets.

I think Moosejaw's chances at becoming a closer are pretty much gone, but he will stick around due to his consistency.

Finances

Yikes. There's a lot of contracts expiring next year, and I'm not sure what's going to happen to all of our goons. I'm sure McGee and Hardslab will be under contract into their late 30's, but I'm skeptical Frazier will. And who knows what's going to happen to Krusty or Hrenchuk...

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

JosefStalinator posted:

Seattle Ordonez will never win a World Series

Hope the guy gets better! I had a back spasm not long ago and holy hell is that torturous.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hard luck Mets :(

I'm thrilled Bukowski has become a legendary reliever after starting out as the second to worst goon. I'm disappointed he hasn't had a career ending injury yet by cutting off the tip of his throwing finger slicing salami.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

God drat, this is just getting worse and worse. Now Simon is turning into a terrible journeyman.

Auk14HP
Dec 12, 2005

Screw this crap I've had it, I ain't no Mr. Cool
Is it so much to ask for Bissel to make the All-Star game? :(

I mean, a .360 OBP has to count for something doesn't it?

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
My cancerous scrap will never die!

Eat poo poo, San Diego!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Hope the guy gets better! I had a back spasm not long ago and holy hell is that torturous.

As he ages, the spasms will grow, until they consume him and force retirement. So it shall be for any Mariner with the hubris to lead his team to a world series (even if they lost).

NutShellBill posted:

My cancerous scrap will never die!

Eat poo poo, San Diego!

I really want Hrenchuk to get a new contract and demand to be traded immediately from wherever he ends up.

Auk14HP posted:

Is it so much to ask for Bissel to make the All-Star game? :(

I mean, a .360 OBP has to count for something doesn't it?

Bissel suffers from being a quiet middle infielder on a poo poo team and small market. OOTP actually takes into account the stupidity of All-Star voters, player popularity, and market size in determining selections :(.

TheMcD posted:

God drat, this is just getting worse and worse. Now Simon is turning into a terrible journeyman.

I don't know if anyone has had more second chances than Simon. Even Hrenchuk had chances just because he had a horrible albatross contract. MacGregor keeps getting new jobs, is put early in the lineup, and then bombs his way out of it. I think this is the fourth or fifth consecutive season that that's happened.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:rip: Harry, you never struck out.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

From what I can see, Krusty has 299 career home runs at the point. He still had a 109 OPS+ last season so I'm really hopeful he at least gets a 1 year deal that allows him to reach 300...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2031 Season

2031, and the number of goons thins considerably!

2031 Opening Day Status

Krusty "C" Unts suffers a huge fall from grace. He goes into opening day signed with Boston, but on a minor league deal, with a 900k bonus. Of all our players to collapse quickly, I really didn't think it'd be Krusty.

Hrenchuk, shockingly, cannot find a new home. Callahan and New Concept also go wanting. I would bet that their careers are over, but who knows, someone might take a flier on a minor league deal.

Fostolfur also has a new home, signing with the Dodgers for 3 years, 22 million dollars. Not bad job security, though a bit cheap on the annual pay.

Jackson McGee is a bit younger than most of the other goons, and remains pretty consistent.

Congrats Ordonez, you're now a national in an otherwise boring trade!

Except... the Nationals bench you, because they don't need an SS or 2B :negative:.

Nelson Frazier's been quiet as of late, but 2031 might see a resurgence. I wonder if he'll be that guy that performs every time his contract gets close to running out, then turns mediocre after.

Bissel's the youngest goon, and like McGee, he doesn't seem to be slowing down. I think he's in the running with Bukowski for the goon that might retire last.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that Hardslab is back, and is pitching even better than before his injury. The bad news is that he has an ongoing elbow injury now, and it seems to be popping up from time to time. I'm glad he's still good, but he might see some limited play time, depending on how his recovery goes.

2031 All Star Break

Congrats Mike Bukowski, who is yet again the only goon All-Star! I think this is going to become a regular thing, and once Bukowski's gone, there won't be any more goons at the All-Star game :(.

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

This is the first time Krusty's not on the list :(.

Bissel is pretty much the only one pulling his weight, with a solid 115 OPS+ and great defensive play, making him the only one with a 2+ WAR.

I have no idea what happened to Fostolfur, but he really fell apart this year. McGee and Ordonez are also struggling, which is very disappointing.

Chuck Johnson and Nelson Frazier are both doing well offensively, but aren't seeing as many appearances as their play warrants. Johnson continues to disappoint - his power numbers are up in Cincinnati relative to SF, but he left SF right as his playing time declined, so it all evens out. His lifetime 234 home runs is such a depressed number, he could easily be 300+ if he wasn't in SF most of his career. Remember he had an 85+ rated power tool!

Pitching

:wow: Bukowski is phenomenal. He's still on a 40 save/season rate, with a far more impressive 1.14 ERA. Unbelievable.

Hardslab is also doing well, but his innings are limited, which scares me a bit. Hockles is suffering from the same problem, but not from injuries, just gradual phasing out of use.

Sud Belig keeps finding work no matter what, and the Cubs are benefiting greatly from his patronage.

Bissel and McGee, the two youngins, suffer some fairly serious injuries and setbacks. McGee is out for the season :(.

MacGregor is trying to inherit Sam Booty's AAAA title, tearing up AAA but languishing when in the majors.

Harry Callahan got a minor league deal! That's... really all I can say, other than a nice 20 game hit streak in AAA.

2031 Regular Season Standings

A shame that McGee is hurt, but Austin has a chance to win a ring for him - and get Texas its first championship (it won't happen don't worry).

The same goes for Nelson Frazier, except that he may actually get to play in the playoffs, though he's been relegated to the bench or backup catcher.

The 96 win Mets are carried in part by Bukowski, who is finally thriving and farming a great deal of saves from playing for a good team. Good poo poo, and a chance for a championship!

Lastly, Hardslab again gives Arizona another shot at a championship. Let's hope his team doesn't let him down!

2031 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

No goons appear in the WC series.

Division Series

Nelson Frazier faces Austin (since the fates are cruel to Texas baseball), and hits a nice dinger, but Texas falls to Austin 3 games to 1.

Mike Bukowski is forced to pitch 5 innings in relief, which is unusual given that he's a dedicated closer, but not ineffective. He appears in all but one game, and surrenders no runs, but Pittsburgh defeats New York 3 games to 2.

Hardslab slips a bit in his only playoff start, as Arizona gets swept 3 games to 0. 3 earned runs (and another unearned) in 5.2 innings isn't all that bad, but poo poo happens.

Championship Series

No goons make it this far :(. But just to be sure, Austin loses, and McGee has no shot at a ring.

World Seres

The Pirates beat the Red Sox 4 games to 2, to win their first championship since 2022.

Final Playoff Tree

Right after the playoffs, Hardslab signs a deal with Arizona:

Looks like he wants to finish in Arizona. And peep that ERA - he came back from his injury even better. :catstare: Maybe they installed a bionic arm in place of his ligament.

2031 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Mike Rogan
NL MVP: Luis Gabriel
AL Cy Young: Jesus Martinez
NL Cy Young: Joseph Mancuso

NL Reliever of the Year: Mike Bukowski! :woop:

Bukowski lead the league in saves, but more importantly, had great stats across the board. Age is but a number to him. He's now up to 359 lifetime saves, which would make him 10th overall in 2015 (by this time he'd probably be around there, depending on how Papelbon, Street, Kimbrel and a few other active players do). 400 is easily in reach, and maybe even 500 if he lasts. 3rd overall all time is not unrealistic, and 4th is likely barring injury.

Belig will now play for the Red Sox. I'd like to point out the weirdness of Belig's career - he made his MLB debut in 2021, then wouldn't appear in the majors until 2029, and now he's relevant in 2031 at 34 years old. Weird.

Jackson McGee had a bum year but there are still many interested parties. Chicago might grab him, but apparently teams are afraid to do big contracts given his age and health status.

2031 Hall of Fame Results

Tulo earns a well deserved hall of fame spot, and is flanked by Craig Kimbrel and King Felix. They'll probably get in next year. Posey and Sale are working up the list, and have a shot towards the end of their eligibility.

2031 Player Status

Holy unemployment! The end of the 2031 season sees only 7 goons under contract, 6 of them in the majors, by far an all time low (since the drafts at least). Hockles isn't featured here but is also an unretired free agent.

McGee and Johnson will almost certainly get a new home, and Ordonez and MacGregor will probably get a 1 year contract somewhere. Not as sure about Frazier or Hrenchuk, and I think the cancerous Hrenchuk will be retiring very soon.

Batting Stats

Bissel and Belig are the best offensive players this season, with Johnson and Frazier not too far behind. Pretty much everyone else pulled up a bit by the end of the season, with the notable exception of Fostolfur, who should be very glad he signed a 3 year contract, as it gives him some time to figure out his poo poo.

MacGregor, Booty, and Hrenchuk failed to impress, and may have had their last shot, depending on the generosity of the teams and the strength of the FA market.

Pitching Stats

Bukowski lead the league in saves, and fell to earth a bit after the sub 2.00 ERA at the half, but is still dominant as ever.

But check out Hardslab's stats! :drat:. He pitched another 100 innings in the second half of the season with an ERA below 2.00. I'm hoping the first half struggles was just some rust and lingering injury recovery, as he fired on all cylinders in the second half. I really wish he and Bukowski were on the same team, as they'd be quite the combo.

Hockles did what he could, but his time will soon end :(.

Finances

So few contracts! I do like that Belig and Booty spent so much time in AAA that they're still in arbitration.

It's notable that Krusty Unts leads the goons in total lifetime earnings with 170 million, but he is likely near the end of his career. Hardslab has made about 120 million and has an outside shot at passing him up. Same goes for Bukowski, who has amazingly made only slightly less than Hardslab at 118 million. Johnson and McGee have also made about 120 million.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
So Seth Iroth's retired at this point, yeah?

Idiot Wind
Sep 10, 2007

We hope anyone sees you again...
Belig's on the juice. His hat size has gone way up this season and he's having his best years in the majors in his mid-30s? Somebody call the commissioner!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What are Tanaka's career numbers in this, the darkest timeline?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think Bukowski has ever won a playoff series.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

are you loving kidding me Krusty. ONE MORE MLB HOME RUN YOU BUM

Hopefully he can pull of an A-Rod and come back for a good season after a year out of the majors

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaya posted:

So Seth Iroth's retired at this point, yeah?

Yeah, anyone not featured on the player status is retired now :(. I'll do a run through of everyone's coaching careers shortly!

Doltos posted:

I don't think Bukowski has ever won a playoff series.

I think the Mets advanced once or twice, but yeah, his teams tend to fail pretty horribly. He's an elite closer who will probably finish top 5 in saves and in plenty of reliever peripherals, so you really can't complain!

Idiot Wind posted:

Belig's on the juice. His hat size has gone way up this season and he's having his best years in the majors in his mid-30s? Somebody call the commissioner!

Sounds about right. Belig will again be responsible for the return of steroids.

canadianclassic posted:

are you loving kidding me Krusty. ONE MORE MLB HOME RUN YOU BUM

Hopefully he can pull of an A-Rod and come back for a good season after a year out of the majors

I was pretty furious when he didn't make a single appearance in the majors too. The problem with OOTP player development is that people just fall off instantly and rarely recover. Krusty may just retire with 299 dingers :(.

Inspector_666 posted:

What are Tanaka's career numbers in this, the darkest timeline?

Barry Bonds made it into the Hall of Fame. It is not the darkest timeline. Tanaka had a solid career playing until he was 37 :unsmith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

JosefStalinator posted:

Barry Bonds made it into the Hall of Fame. It is not the darkest timeline. Tanaka had a solid career playing until he was 37 :unsmith:

Wow, what 2018 season is uh...wow.

But that's a cool career, I would totally take that IRL :unsmith:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Wow he got BABIP'd to death...

Man I'm scared for Krusty... come on Cubs sign him to a 1 game contract so he can get that 300th dinger where he started :(

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2032 Season

2032 sees most of the goons come back, with some notable exceptions:

For some reason McGee struggles to get a one year contract, but he finds a home in Philly eventually.

2032 Opening Day Status

Chuck Johnson, Hockles, and (unsurpisingly) Hrenchuk are the only free agents left at this point. I suspect Johnson will get a last minute contract pretty soon, but not so sure about Hrenchuk or Hockles.

It didn't make the news, but Raul Ordonez got a 1 year, 900k deal with Baltimore, and MacGregor joined the Giants for a year and 850k. Nelson Frazier only got in on a minor league contract, but appears to be starting the season in the majors, at least.

Krusty Unts remains in the Red Sox minor league system :(.

There we go. Why Johnson had to wait until a week into the season to find a team is beyond me, but he's getting paid pretty well for his services. He'll join the Cubs, where it seems like every goon ends up at some point or another.

Remember when all you guys would do is tear up the minors? We're just about back there, again.

2032 All Star Break

The gently caress, where is Bukowski? No goons in 2032 :(

MLB All Star Break Stats

Batting

Okay, much more interesting than last year. First, Kirby Bissel is having the best season any goon's had in a long time, hitting above .300 and nearing .400 OBP.

Chuck Johnson is not far behind, maintaining his power with a respectable 11 dingers and a solid walk rate. His profile is one that ages well, so I think he's going to hang in for a while (though he keeps missing a few weeks each season to injuries).

Fostolfur must be mad about last year, as he's on an absolute tear. In less than 200 PA, he already has 17 dingers, which would be 34 dingers at the half if he played as much as the regular starting goons :catstare:. I don't know why he's not being sent out more often. These are actually minor league and major league stats combined. Oops.

By contrast, Krusty's back! But he's awful, just... awful. Why he has been allowed to play this much is beyond me, but at least he got to 300 dingers :). I thought Krusty was back, but I forgot to filter out the minor league stats. These are his stats in AAA. :(

Pitching

Both Hardslab and Bukowski are "hot" at the break, and both are doing well, but not phenomenal. Bukowski's a bit low on saves as the Mets are sucking again, but his peripherals and ERA remain fantastic.

Coming off his best season in a while, Bissel is signed to a 5 year contract. This all but guarantees he will be one of the last goons playing, as he'll be around until he's 37 at least. And 90 million dollars ain't bad either :homebrew:

Moosejaw dreamed of being a closer, but it never panned out. He's finally downed by an injury, and has retired. :rip:

Bill Hrenchuk also will retire at the end of the season, after briefly returning to the Pirates. Hrenchuk made only 37 million dollars in his career, but was really, really bad the whole time. He only came close to leading in two categories across his career: HBP, and SO.

MacGregor joins St. Louis in an uneventful trade.

:negative:. Bissel hurts himself at the end of the season, and will miss the playoffs that Cleveland didn't qualify for.

2032 Regular Season Standings

Welp. Bill Hrenchuk might actually make one last playoff run, having last been the playoffs with San Diego in 2023-4, but this time with the Pirates.

Jackson McGee has huge potential this postseason, leading the suddenly very good Phillies. He hasn't been to the postseason since with Austin in 2026.

Nelson Frazier may also appear from the bench for the White Sox, or as a backup catcher.

Sud Belig's roids wore off in 2032, but he still has a shot at an appearance or two this time around. It would be his first time in the post season.

That's it. Only McGee will see regular appearances, with scraps going to the rest of the goons.

2032 Playoff Results

Wild Card Series

No goons appear in the WC, though the White Sox lose.

Division Series

Jackson McGee tries, but the Phillies fail to advance, losing to Colorado 3 games to 2.

All remaining goons are eliminated in the division series except Hrenchuk, who does nothing anyway.

Championship Series

Hrenchuk doesn't appear, and the Pirates are eliminated.

World Seres

Houston defeats Colorado 4 to 2, and thus, Texas finally wins a World Series! It'll only take until 2032!

An 85 year old Nolan Ryan reportedly cried a single tear, then passed away, just after receiving news of the Astro's victory.

2032 MLB Awards

AL MVP: Robbie Hartley
NL MVP: Ben Summers
AL Cy Young: Tommy Campbell
NL Cy Young: Juan Alvarez

Who even are these people?

Bukowski gets third place for NL reliever of the year, which is the closest any goons get to awards. Yawn.

Out of curiosity, I check to see what real life major leaguers are still around in 2032. Not many, but a few are hanging in there:

Walker's about the only one who's still any good, but good to see Bryant, Baez, and a few others still playing.

2032 Hall of Fame Results

King Felix rightly enters the hall of fame, alongside closer Craig Kimbrel. Sale is on the cusp, and Posey is a few years away.

2032 Player Status

Such is the uncertainty at the end of your careers. Johnson is somehow a free agent again (I guess second year was an option?) but will find a new club, as will McGee and probably MacGregor.

Frazier and Ordonez
might be done, though :(.

Batting Stats

So I messed up and included minor league stats last time - here's the major league stats only.

Johnson and Bissel had great seasons, as did some of the guys further down the list, but most tended toward mediocrity. Selig and Hrenchuk were actually worse than replacement players.

Pitching Stats

The saves are a bit down but Bukowski's still got it. Hardslab is also doing well, but his ratings are down, so I worry about his inevitable decline.

Finances

Only Bissel has any security :(.

Also, a legend retires:

(2 MVP's, 5 All-Stars, 4 Silver Sluggers, 2 Championships)

Krusty had an impressive career, and may end up being the best goon yet to play. He may even have a hall of fame case - I think he'll ultimately fail, but might stick around a few ballots.

He also ,made just short of 180 million dollars in his career, which is the mark to beat for the other goons.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lol Krusty retired with 299 dingers

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
As we're coming up on the end here, I have two questions.

1. Will there be another wave of goon players?
2. If yes, would we continue playing in this world, the darkest timeline, or would it start over?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Maaaaaan you're killin' me. I saw Krusty on the stats then was like "why is the text crossed out?"

Oh well. Pretty lovely end to a fantastic career. Hopefully he'll be remembered well as the slugger who helped the Cubs get a couple of rings :unsmith:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaya posted:

As we're coming up on the end here, I have two questions.

1. Will there be another wave of goon players?
2. If yes, would we continue playing in this world, the darkest timeline, or would it start over?

This will be the end. A few things that will happen:

1. Run until all goons are gone (I might start simming faster once this current group poops out, no point in yearly updates for 1-2 players alone)
2. Check up on coaching careers
3. Sim until Hall of Fame eligibilities expire (A few of you have a shot, like Krusty, Hardslab, Bukowski, but don't get your hopes up
4. I'll do one last big post with everyone's stats, history, money earned, etc so we can judge for ourselves who did best!

I don't mind running another one of these in the summer or next year or something, but this will end pretty soon. I would probably start a new timeline if I did this again, but I also wouldn't mind starting it in 2040 or whatever we end up at.

Baseball season's a coming, anyway!

canadianclassic posted:

Maaaaaan you're killin' me. I saw Krusty on the stats then was like "why is the text crossed out?"

Oh well. Pretty lovely end to a fantastic career. Hopefully he'll be remembered well as the slugger who helped the Cubs get a couple of rings :unsmith:

Yeah that was my mistake. I got all excited too and didn't realize it until I saw the stats at the end. OOTP randomly resets my filters from time to time, and I can't go back to halfway through the season to bring up the halfway stats!

A lovely end, but he will probably end up being the best hitter, or possibly best goon. Certainly would have retired one of the most popularof all goons - he played all his career for big market teams (one season with the Mets), multiple championships, a few years as the best player in baseball. I think he has a shot at the Hall of Fame, but may be a bit short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, looks like Simon's a shoe-in for the Goon Journeyman Award for Most Teams Played For. That's another two new teams... I think? He might have been in STL before, now that I think about it.

• Locked thread