Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Once my kid is out of his crib I'm getting these cheapo door alarms that will sound when a door is opened and putting them on the doors that lead outside. I'll turn them on before bed...every year it seems like there are one or two news stories I see where a young kid excited about snow sneaks outside when everyone is sleeping to play and then freezes and the parents find them the next day :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well we had a nice christmas with family. Fortunately my fiances side are buddhists and don't celebrate christmas so there's no problems with having to go to X this year and X next year. And all my nearest family live within a 35 minute drive too.

Favorite present. I'm surprised how well they're getting along with sharing it. Daniel the older brother (by 7 minutes) is mostly willing to sit in the back and let David sit in front. David isn't as selfless most of the time. Definite personality differences here. Daniel is also more often the one who gives something up for David, like giving him his pacifier if he's sad, or comforting him by hugging him.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

sheri posted:

Once my kid is out of his crib I'm getting these cheapo door alarms that will sound when a door is opened and putting them on the doors that lead outside. I'll turn them on before bed...every year it seems like there are one or two news stories I see where a young kid excited about snow sneaks outside when everyone is sleeping to play and then freezes and the parents find them the next day :(

That is frightening! We don't have the snow problem, but my little guy is determined to get out the front door. Right now he can't turn the deadbolt to unlock that and can't quite get the storm door open, but that doesn't stop him from trying. He has made it out a few times already. Once when we had just come inside with groceries so I didn't get the storm door shut all of the way and didn't get the deadbolt locked. Made the mistake of asking if he wanted to see his friend. He walked right out the door and started running to her door. Thankfully her door is close since we're in the same small set of townhouses. But oy kid you can't run out the door! Someone suggested those little alarm things to me too. I think I may need to get some very soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah our kids have already opened the doors and been outside, noticed it when a cold breeze was running across my feet, they came back in by themsleves becase it was wet and cold outside. So far we're safe during the night because they can't get out of their beds, little prisons they are.

In daycare they learned to drag boxes and stuff and reach the door and open it and run outside. So they had to start using little door chains to stop them. They got both younger and older kids there, they don't seem to cause problems like this.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

So they had to start using little door chains to stop them.

This is what we did to all three doors that lead outside as soon as our oldest learned how to turn the deadbolt. Our youngest, when she gets upset, will go hide under a bed and stay incredibly quiet until we come looking for her and she gave us a pretty good scare one time. The wife and I were sitting in the living room helping the girls set up a new Doc McStuffins play set, I went into the garage to vape and read a bit in my book and the wife went to look up a recipe on the computer at the same time.

We come back, the oldest is there and when asked where her sister is, she points at the big front window and says "She went outside."

We live in military housing so I wasn't too worried and she only had a few minute head start so I grabbed my mountain bike out of the garage and took off down our street looking. After covering the neighborhood and the two playgrounds I came back home, consulted with the wife, got ready to call the MPs and then tried our last trick. We had checked under the bed in the guest room, their beds but not our own bed because we usually lock the bedroom door to keep them out. So I pull a tin of chocolate candies off of the top of the fridge and call out, "Vivian! Candy!"

I was standing at the entrance to the hallway and heard a quietly excited two year old voice answer back, "Candy? Candy!!"

drat kids.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Good day to all, haven't been here in ages! My son is nearly six now:

I also moved into a new house, and my girlfriend moved in with her three year old son. It has been very interesting taking on the roll of step-father over the last eight months or so. We have been trying to work on his manners and some other things, sometimes to no avail. Being a step parent is definitely different.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I have a bit of a problem. My almost 5 year old will still not go poop in the toilet. She goes pee fine but no poops. She will hold it in for days, sometimes six or seven day at a time. She can go in her diaper whenever she wants. She is currently three days without poop, and if we put a diaper on her she will go within 5 minuets. She even tells us she will go in the diaper, but nothing on the toilet.

Also, she can only go in the diaper if she is standing up. I have read about others having this issue, but nobody seems to have an answer other than wait it out. We have been waiting this one out for over a year now, and she is at a point where she is going to go into kindergarten soon and thats an issue. We currently can't put her in all day Pre-K because she will not go potty in the toilet. One of their requirements.

The Dr told us to put her on miralax to help soften it up. But that does not seem to be doing the trick. We would like to get her into full day Pre-K so that she is more use to all day before kindergarten, so we would really like to get this fixed asap so we can get that going.

We have tried bribing her with a new toy if she goes in the potty. We have tried taking away TV if she has to use the diaper to go, we have tried sitting with her and leaving her alone in the potty. We have asked her to tell us what is wrong and she says that it feels different or that she is scared.

I don't want her to get a complex about pooping, but I also feel that letting her still go in the diaper is taking away any need for her to learn to go in the toilet. I don't want her to get sick. The more she hold it in the more she gets constipated. Right now she just wants to lay around and you can tell she is not having a good time.

Any ideas would be great.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 1, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

badjohny posted:

I have a bit of a problem. My almost 5 year old will still not go poop in the toilet. She goes pee fine but no poops. She will hold it in for days, sometimes six or seven day at a time. She can go in her diaper whenever she wants. She is currently three days without poop, and if we put a diaper on her she will go within 5 minuets. She even tells us she will go in the diaper, but nothing on the toilet.

Also, she can only go in the diaper if she is standing up. I have read about others having this issue, but nobody seems to have an answer other than wait it out. We have been waiting this one out for over a year now, and she is at a point where she is going to go into kindergarten soon and thats an issue. We currently can't put her in all day Pre-K because she will not go potty in the toilet. One of their requirements.

The Dr told us to put her on miralax to help soften it up. But that does not seem to be doing the trick. We would like to get her into full day Pre-K so that she is more use to all day before kindergarten, so we would really like to get this fixed asap so we can get that going.

We have tried bribing her with a new toy if she goes in the potty. We have tried taking away TV if she has to use the diaper to go, we have tried sitting with her and leaving her alone in the potty. We have asked her to tell us what is wrong and she says that it feels different or that she is scared.

I don't want her to get a complex about pooping, but I also feel that letting her still go in the diaper is taking away any need for her to learn to go in the toilet. I don't want her to get sick. The more she hold it in the more she gets constipated. Right now she just wants to lay around and you can tell she is not having a good time.

Does she sit on a little potty or a big one? If its an adult sized toilet, her feet need to be supported (with a little stool... heh pun intended) in order to assist in providing the leverage necessary to evacuate her bowel.

How much Miralax are you using? It sounds like it might not be enough. One of the biggest reasons kids withhold stools is because they have hard or painful stools. This sets up a cycle of them refusing to go which causes constipation which causes hard, painful stools, which causes them to with-hold again. A GI doctor has told us about our children that a "normal" consistency for stool is roughly a little bit thicker than apple-sauce.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 1, 2016

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Yeah, my son did this too. Same age. He held it for days at a time, but would poop the instant he was in a diaper. Belly hurt, refused food, refused also to poop. Tons of non-stop fun. :suicide: Got the same advice about Miralax, and that if he was also feeling sick because he was holding it, I could give him a glycerine suppository, and he would not be able to hold it. So I tried the Miralax, and he could still hold it if I didn't give in with a diaper.

Then, I had just enough one day, and we started The Last Standoff. Cruising into day 5 of refusal, (I knew from the nurse that he could go up to 7 days without pooping :aaa:) I was just done. I got the drat suppository (available at any drugstore). Gave a big warning that this wasn't going to be pleasant, that he would poop immediately; and if he would just poop on the toilet, we didn't have to do this. But he was making his insides sick, and this had to stop. Still refused. He willingly laid down for me, and I slipped it in (they really are very tiny though, being made for kids and all). He kicked me straight in the face. Surprisingly hard (I don't blame him though). I closed the diaper in a split second and just got up. He screamed and ran from the playroom to the kitchen, and then had to stop immediately--"I can't not poooop!" :supaburn: What followed was as impressively terrible diaper, and a whole bunch more crying. We both hated every second of it, (although he hated it much more).

The poop stand off ended though. No more holding it after that. I won't say I recommend that per se, because the whole thing was really not a good time (and I felt/feel bad about being so drastic), but it did end the behavior. And he said afterwards that he never wanted to talk about the "poop medicine" again, and that he would just go on the toilet now. I did and thought of all the same stuff you have--goals, rewards, not wanting to give them a complex. We had been negotiating and bargaining and cajoling for months; we were feeling desperate about it just needing to end--for everyone's sanity, and his little GI system. That can't be healthy for them to keep up, you know?

:negative:

I don't know if I have advice, (since my story is terrible), but that's my story. I sympathize; good luck. (And the advice ahead of me about the stool is good; we have stools in both bathrooms so the kids can rest their feet, and they appreciate them.)

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 2, 2016

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 4, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Apogee15 posted:

Hey, so I was having trouble find information on this but basically...

My daughter has eaten peanuts and peanut butter plenty of times for probably a year now with no negative reactions. However earlier this morning she ate a handful of peanuts, and about 5 minutes later she puked them up. I'm reading that this could be a sign that she might be developing an allergy to them, but most are saying they noticed a reaction the first time they exposed.

It's the only time it's happened, so maybe it was just a fluke. and it was from chewing shelled peanuts rather than peanut butter so maybe she just didn't chew them enough and had some in her throat or something? I just wanted to get some other opinions on it, especially since peanut allergies can be pretty scary.

That is probably not at all related to an allergy. Peanut allergy would manifest as a skin rash or difficulty breathing. Vomiting in that short of a period of time after eating them was probably either coincidental (like she was sick from something else) or something mechanical/physical that triggered vomiting, like what you described with not sufficiently chewing them.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

badjohny posted:

So the answer from a child development perspective is to leave it alone. Talk to your child about it and tell them that you trust them and they can trust you. Don't pressure at all. Don't offer rewards or punishments. Just offer and move on and let them use the diaper if needed. After a few weeks or so, when your child has had time to relax on the issue have a sit down talk. Find out why they aren't comfortable with the potty. It is usually fear. Explain why it is important for them to do this and then come up with a plan together to help them on the potty. I went through this with a student of similar age in a pre-K class. He was afraid of the potty. He was new to our center too. I told him we would do what he was comfortable with. When I gained his trust we had the sit down talk and we came up with a plan that I would stay right with him while he tried. That he would be safe because I would be there and that if it got too scary we would take a break and try again. I think we agreed to trying for 30 seconds at first. The first time he tried he did get scared and he cried and I just kept telling him that I was with him and he was safe and he could do it and he did! I sat with him the next few times and then after that he said he didn't need me any more. I know it's tough but hang in there. Sometimes the way we approach the entire situation is what matters to the child so take a step back and acknowledge their feelings and start over. You will be successful this time. Also, talk to the Pre-K, any program worth it's salt should be willing to accommodate a child's developmental needs. Yours won't be the first.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just chiming in to say that my son did perfectly in his first night in a toddler bed. Hoping for further success tonight.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

acknowledge their feelings and start over.
Gotta give props to this. If you can start addressing your kid's fears like they're real things and talk through them, you are setting yourself up for many years of sharing and trust.

That said I really feel for AlistairCookie who I'm sure tried the addressing the fears and listening and trying again thing, sometimes it just doesn't work and you have a Last Standoff.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
My almost-four-year-old had a similar issue. After discussing it with his pediatrician, we dropped the subject for 2 months and then tried again. He started pooping in the potty a few days after we restarted. Control issues were the obstacle in our case, though. Now if only I could get him going reliably when he's dressed as opposed to when he's bare-bottomed...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My three-month old has been super gassy the last few days and hating her life as a result. Is there anything we can do besides pumping her legs often to help her out? Or to reduce gassiness in general?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

hooah posted:

My three-month old has been super gassy the last few days and hating her life as a result. Is there anything we can do besides pumping her legs often to help her out? Or to reduce gassiness in general?

Our son is also 3 months old and while he isn't super gassy, he will sometime become gassy and cry non stop. I've found that holding him with his stomach on my forearm (google football baby hold) will often instantaneously make him feel better. After 10-15 minutes he will often pass a huge gas and/or poop and be fine after. If we keep him on his back he'll cry and cry and cry

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I need help.

Our three year old has taken to waking up at 5:30, coming through to our room and in the process wakes up her sister who's one.

If I tell her to go back to bed and sleep, stubbornly she tells me no. I try to say that mummy and her sister are still asleep. And she says she wants to wake them up. I try to get her to stay and read I n her room and she says she wants to wake them all up.

How do I reason with a three year old. Or find a way to keep her quietly in her room until it's a more civilised hour.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

So the answer from a child development perspective is to leave it alone. Talk to your child about it and tell them that you trust them and they can trust you. Don't pressure at all. Don't offer rewards or punishments. Just offer and move on and let them use the diaper if needed. After a few weeks or so, when your child has had time to relax on the issue have a sit down talk. Find out why they aren't comfortable with the potty. It is usually fear. Explain why it is important for them to do this and then come up with a plan together to help them on the potty. I went through this with a student of similar age in a pre-K class. He was afraid of the potty. He was new to our center too. I told him we would do what he was comfortable with. When I gained his trust we had the sit down talk and we came up with a plan that I would stay right with him while he tried. That he would be safe because I would be there and that if it got too scary we would take a break and try again. I think we agreed to trying for 30 seconds at first. The first time he tried he did get scared and he cried and I just kept telling him that I was with him and he was safe and he could do it and he did! I sat with him the next few times and then after that he said he didn't need me any more. I know it's tough but hang in there. Sometimes the way we approach the entire situation is what matters to the child so take a step back and acknowledge their feelings and start over. You will be successful this time. Also, talk to the Pre-K, any program worth it's salt should be willing to accommodate a child's developmental needs. Yours won't be the first.

We are going to give this a try. Hopefully we will get some progress. Will report back with my results.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Oodles posted:

I need help.

Our three year old has taken to waking up at 5:30, coming through to our room and in the process wakes up her sister who's one.

If I tell her to go back to bed and sleep, stubbornly she tells me no. I try to say that mummy and her sister are still asleep. And she says she wants to wake them up. I try to get her to stay and read I n her room and she says she wants to wake them all up.

How do I reason with a three year old. Or find a way to keep her quietly in her room until it's a more civilised hour.

We got an "OK to wake" clock on Amazon. Somehow, it works better when the clock is to blame for our 3 yo not being allowed to come out of his room. We're very nonchalant and say, "oh well, the clock isn't green yet!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skeetied posted:

We got an "OK to wake" clock on Amazon. Somehow, it works better when the clock is to blame for our 3 yo not being allowed to come out of his room. We're very nonchalant and say, "oh well, the clock isn't green yet!"

This. The very sun itself doesn't count, as all stars are liars and it's somehow apparently Daytime, but the blue and orange LEDs on Alexandra's clock make it the incorruptible arbiter of Quiet Time, Night Time, and Day Time, and it did the trick (for a while, at least...)

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

skeetied posted:

We have one of these and it works okay. It took a while, though. The first night we used it, we woke to our three-year-old screaming bloody murder at 5am because he thought the clock was holding him hostage in his room.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Oodles posted:

I need help.

That's about the age our daughter started doing that. The only thing I could do was invite her into my bed and snuggle with her until she fell back to sleep. Sometimes this would take an hour, depending on how awake she was, but for the most part she'd just fall back to sleep. She's four now, and although she still comes to my room, once she's "awake" awake, she'll sneak back to her room and play until I wake up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a firm time to stop swaddling a baby's arms? Our three-month old often has a hard time falling asleep if she doesn't have her face pressed against someone's chest because her arms swim around and sometimes hit her in the face. Is she too old to swaddle her arms for sleeping?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Once they roll from back to belly arms need to be out. Other than that, swaddle away!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That, and also when they get really angry about being swaddled. You will know because your baby will emphatically team you so.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So what's the consensus on when to switch your little one from rear facing to forward facing in their car seat? I've heard/read in some places it's all about your kid's height/weight, but other places say it has more to do with age and neck muscle strength. My squishy man is going to be 21 months at the end of January, but is almost 40 pounds. Right now we still have him rear facing, but the issue is, to have the seat properly installed in my little Forrester, the front passenger seat needs to be scooted way up and forward, making the ride very uncomfortable for any front seat passenger.

That's a 3T he's wearing there.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
The safety consensus is that you keep them rear facing until they can't fit like that any more, since rear facing is safer at any age/height/weight/neck muscle strength.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
As was just said, the consensus is keep them rear facing to the limits of the seat.

That is in a theoretic world, where there are no front seat passengers to be concerned with. In the real world, if you generally have a front seat passenger, there is their comfort and safety to take into account as well.

2 years and 40 lbs is sometimes mentioned as a rear-facing goal. It's only three months from now, I'd try and get there if it's possible.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah my wife's safety is my concern at the moment. I'm afraid that if we get into any kind of frontal impact right now it'll destroy her legs.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

WTF BEES posted:

Yeah my wife's safety is my concern at the moment. I'm afraid that if we get into any kind of frontal impact right now it'll destroy her legs.

Not to be too blunt, but forward facing before age two (preferably four, but you're not going to get there with an almost 40 pound 21 month old) carries a significantly higher risk of internal decapitation. Your wife's legs can be fixed. That can't.

Are you sure your car seat has a high enough rear facing weight limit, though? You could also look at a new seat if front to back space is an issue. The Chicco NextFit or the Diono Radian with the angle adjuster are both fairly narrow front to back and support high weight limits.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Is there some reason why your wife can't just sit in the back seat so your son can continue to rear face?

Looking into a different car seat is also a good option. We have a nextfit & while the front seat can't be pushed all the way back, there's still plenty of room for someone under 6' to sit up front.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2016

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

skeetied posted:

Not to be too blunt, but forward facing before age two (preferably four, but you're not going to get there with an almost 40 pound 21 month old) carries a significantly higher risk of internal decapitation. Your wife's legs can be fixed. That can't.

Blunt is perfect, and I 100% agree. I dunno if I was clear but he is still rear facing, and will be for the foreseeable future. I just wanted some outside opinions on the matter. He's still not cramped or anything which is good, but his little legs are getting awfully long awfully fast.

As for looking into a new car seat, that's not really an option for now. The one we already have is really nice, and will last him a long while even when forward facing. There's also the fact that we're dirt poor at the moment and the price of a good new seat would be a bit much (yes, that poor).

WTF BEES fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 5, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, poo poo, this conversation is informative, in the "we bought the wrong thing" way. Our current car seat goes to 30 pounds, and I bought a next-step seat off either Woot or Meh a couple months ago that's a forward-facing seat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't stress about it. That size and weight is fine for forward facing, you can't keep them rear facing forever. Once you flip them you'll feel great.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The AAP and all safety organizations recommend 2 years old as a minimum for forward facing. 2 states have that as the law now too with more state legislatures having 2 year minimum laws in various phases of the process now too

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
We had #1 in a rear-facing seat until a little past his fifth birthday; #2 is currently four and a quarter and still facing rear as well.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

skeetied posted:

Yeah, this. Comfort up to and including a pair of potentially broken legs is less important than a potentially dead toddler.

It's the head-size/neck-strength-ratio that's the problem with front-facing kids, so their weight or height up untill the point where they literally grow out of a backward facing seat isn't really relevant. Where you would get a whiplash, a toddler will get a broken neck. Keep your kid rear-facing for as long as you can up to the age of 4.

(I'm particularly passionate about this because I've found that a surprising number of otherwise reasonable and safety-conscious people will happily front-face a 2 year old "because his legs were getting kind of squished, and it's boring to look out the back window!" Being dead is even more boring!)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe the seat of bought can be rear facing ad well. I sure hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

skeetied posted:

Are you sure your car seat has a high enough rear facing weight limit, though? The Chicco NextFit or the Diono Radian with the angle adjuster are both fairly narrow front to back and support high weight limits.

Chicco nextfit says rear facing limits are 40 lbs. So, no. It's not at all narrow front to back either. In anything other than a SUV you can't even position it the maximum suggested vertical range for rear facing because the seat literally prevents the carseat from being another 5 degrees or so vertically.

I say this having a chicco nextfit and a passenger car with latch (vw jetta). Forester isn't that different in rear passenger space whether it's a passenger car or small suv (depending on the year of the model).