Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think Stormchaser gets there in Standard but yeah there are a lot of really good 2 drops in legacy it has to compete with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Have we seen anything with a casting/activation cost with C and another colour? We've seen them split like W in the casting cost of Displacer and C in the activation cost. But I don't think we've seen anything like WC yet?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

odiv posted:

Have we seen anything with a casting/activation cost with C and another colour? We've seen them split like W in the casting cost of Displacer and C in the activation cost. But I don't think we've seen anything like WC yet?

No, because that would be dumb box-ticking

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mandatory lesbian posted:

This is the key interaction of my Vintage 61 turn mill deck

It's the only proven mill deck and it's very strong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chandra Preordering at 10 bucks on SCG.

Guess people are that wary of cards with the subtype "Chandra" on them nowadays.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just wait until we get hybrid colorless mana in the future. Pay G or D, etc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Count Bleck posted:

I'm buying foils just to be safe.

I can never quite tell if you're being sincere with these posts.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

Guess people are that wary of cards with the subtype "Chandra" on them nowadays.

I would argue she's playable if she started with 5 loyalty instead of 4.

If you think of her as a really lovely version of Elspeth, Sun's Champion - that's not too bad but for the fact she can't take down Siege Rhino, or a field full of Wingmate Rocs without dying. A 6 mana walker pretty much needs to be able to do that to be worth playing. You aren't going to be tapping out to play this card and then dumping your hand. You want to do the Elspeth play - wipe the board of serious threats and then start using whatever other abilities she has.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 5, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I would argue she's playable if she started with 5 loyalty instead of 4.

So what you're saying is to play her in RW tokens with Oath of Gideon? :v:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gonna pair that hedron card with counterbalance in modern :getin:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

While this is a cool idea, that hedron is kind of mana intensive for scrying.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Molybdenum posted:

Getting to spend mana to be disappointed ahead of time sounds like its extremely efficient

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Holy poo poo Reality Smasher looks busted. I've been testing that mono black modern eldrazi deck and the deck owns owns owns, it just eats every fair deck up and has a lot of game against a lot of combo decks too. Anyway it looks like it'll be great in that deck. A turn 3 5/5 haste that protects itself, what's not to like

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UberJew posted:

It can't replace swiftspear and I don't think it's better than snapcaster or young peezy in the '2cmc that really wants you to have a third mana available to cast a spell immediately' slot

It's buddies with Swiftspear, not a replacement and Legacy UR Delver doesn't really play Snapcaster, the Modern deck does.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

This seems maybe very good? I am bad at detecting important cards in this card game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This seems maybe very good? I am bad at detecting important cards in this card game.

I'm gonna guess that this doesn't get there is constructed but I could be wrong.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's buddies with Swiftspear, not a replacement and Legacy UR Delver doesn't really play Snapcaster, the Modern deck does.

I could see it being played in modern if Twin ever got banned and the remaining Blue/Red shell became a pure tempo deck.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

The card itself seems good. The question is if it will find a deck, a 2/3 for 2 mana, that becomes a 4/5 when your top decking is pretty solid to me, and the land creature clause may or may not be relevant. This seems like a borderline limited bomb, except I now realize Awaken cards will actually be pretty rare in BFZ drafts sense we are doing double Oath then BFZ.....

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Is it a better buddy with swiftspear than young pyromancer, the most common competition? (snapcaster mage is the second most common competition, and i see them both in lists as well)

deftest
May 7, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Already sold out...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Speculating on a Chandra. Shameful.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

anglachel posted:

I could see it being played in modern if Twin ever got banned and the remaining Blue/Red shell became a pure tempo deck.

The card itself seems good. The question is if it will find a deck, a 2/3 for 2 mana, that becomes a 4/5 when your top decking is pretty solid to me, and the land creature clause may or may not be relevant. This seems like a borderline limited bomb, except I now realize Awaken cards will actually be pretty rare in BFZ drafts sense we are doing double Oath then BFZ.....

It's a 2 drop, which always seemed to be a gap in BFZ, for a 2/3 vigilance that easily gets bigger, yeah it's good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

Is it a better buddy with swiftspear than young pyromancer, the most common competition? (snapcaster mage is the second most common competition, and i see them both in lists as well)

It's probably not better than Pyromancer but I think you could play 4 of theses alongsid 4 Pyromancers. Easily.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

deftest posted:

Already sold out...

I bought them all, it was me.

Actually, I only bought two. Gonna see if I can run it in a UR/Temur Control shell with it as the finisher alongside Sphinx of the Last Word.

This actually looks like a fun standard brewing set.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It also grows your manlands!

a 4/5 lifelink or 4/3 double strike seems pretty great

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

It's probably not better than Pyromancer but I think you could play 4 of theses alongside 4 Pyromancers. Easily.

It's probably not better than Pyromancer. Yeah it's probably not better than the best possible 2 drop for the deck / possibly the best 2 drop in the format.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Aaron Forsythe
Aaron Forsythe – ‏@mtgaaron
Corrupted Crossroads doesn't say "colorless spells" because that would read too bizarrely. Apologies to the Etched Oracles among you.
11:36 PM - 4 Jan 2016

Sad

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I'm gonna guess that this doesn't get there is constructed but I could be wrong.

anglachel posted:

It sort of depends if there's anything good with Awaken in OGW. So far I don't think they've even spoiled a card that had Awaken at all in the set.

Awaken's issue in BFZ by itself isn't that the lands aren't powerful enough, its that they all cost a shitload to animate. Even as a limited format Awaken is not terribly awesome because you might have 1 or 2 lands animate in a game.

The card itself is pretty good in limited though. Topdecking a 4/5 for 1G has historically been pretty good.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 5, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Aaron Forsythe
Aaron Forsythe – ‏@mtgaaron
Corrupted Crossroads doesn't say "colorless spells" because that would read too bizarrely. Apologies to the Etched Oracles among you.
11:36 PM - 4 Jan 2016

Sad

How does that read bizarrely? loving what?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It's probably not better than Pyromancer but I think you could play 4 of theses alongsid 4 Pyromancers. Easily.

What spells do you think get cut to bump the creature count that high?

Recess Rapist
Jul 4, 2004
I no longer whack; I use a driptorch.

UberJew posted:

Why make them compete? Every legacy deck will run 4 Monastery Swiftspear, 4 Young Pyromancer, 4 Snapcaster Mage, 4 Stoneforge Mystics, 4 Stormchaser Mage, and 40 basics.

UberJew posted:

No spells, the creatures are too efficient.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

You're stupid. I'm stupid. The entire player base is morons. I'm surprised development hasn't directly tweeted that fact yet.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Can someone start mtgfinance on Thopter Spy Networks, I have like 40 of these things I would like to sell for 20 a piece (or more)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Didn't maro say something like players don't actually read cards tho

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

jassi007 posted:

My thought on it is like this.

1. the Development side of R&D are pro players. They trust them to judge/fix power level of the game.

2. Multiple experienced pro's who have played the game for some time, many of whom have either acknowledge job offers for R&D (LSV) or probably have been offered one, have said the deck is to good.

That isn't the most solid basis in the world to expect a ban, but it makes sense to me. The deck isn't rampant because it isn't as easy to play as some other stuff. Sequencing and triggers and decisions on what to tutor for give it multiple points where a player can screw it up. If you make all the right decisions the deck is gross.
The point of contention I'd take here is that most of the pros whose judgment you seem to trust either waffle on their opinions - LSV, for example, has said the deck is 'busted' while playing it and going off, and has also commented on how the deck is not strong enough to play because it's too inconsistent while playing against it and winning - or are just huge divas like PVDDR. I think there's a huge gulf in the actual strength of the deck and the perceived strength of the deck. Similarly, Grishoalbrand is another equally strong deck that can go off multiple ways with arguably less complexity, and the pro diva players love it and think it's fine.

What I'm saying here is you can't trust players of any caliber to have unbiased judgment on the level of balance in the game because they have a vested interest in it.

That said, if Bloom eats a ban I'd wager Goryo's decks will eat a ban, and possible infect. Because, while wildly inconsistent in the same measure, they are the other decks that can pull of T2 wins with infrequent consistency.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Can someone start mtgfinance on Thopter Spy Networks, I have like 40 of these things I would like to sell for 20 a piece (or more)

Do it yourself. Corner the market on Thopter Spy Network. Every magic card is going up up up! It's a buyers market

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

Didn't maro say something like players don't actually read cards tho

Morkrut Banshee was essentially unblockable because 75% of the people I played it against thought it had flying

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

Well there really isn't a very good UR Delver deck right now but the Grixis Delver decks run 4 Deathrite and 2 Angler's in addition to 4 of Delver and Pyromancer so if you play those in addition to 4 Swiftspear and 4 of these guys you're only playing 2 more creatures.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Part of me wants to run this with Treetop Village in that cheap G Stompy deck in Modern but I feel like a lot of that deck's games are done before land #6, for better or worse.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah I don't buy that. If it said "spend only on colorless spells," that's something any player can understand even if they don't know why. It's weird, but it's Eldrazi, they're supposed to have some inscrutable feeling to them.

Instead players have to look up the keyword 'devoid,' a word that does not appear in magic anywhere outside of this block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Someone stop me from buying the lands for this dumb Eldrazi deck

• Locked thread