Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hilariously enough republics are a lot more stable than monarchies in my experience of playing.

Republics are great for turning a disposable ruler into a general if you're waiting for the tradition to tick back up anyway. After being repressed into a boring office job for all of his life the douge now decides to throw all the papers to the side and grabs a sword. Everything is wonderfully simple, you hold one end and stick the other into enemies.

Speaking of republics, I'd love if custom nations could be set to get women as rulers for republics, theocracies, etc. You can start with a high priestess or similar, but every successor will just be men.

Poil fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The only thing I miss while playing republics is the diplo rep you get from having high legitimacy, which in extreme cases can be fixed by picking the diplo dude next election.
I think one thing that is missing from monarchies is the whole heir shuffle that some of the large dynasties did. I feel like there should be some sort of choice for this, maybe I can have a low legitimacy heir who's really good, while the guy with high legitimacy is Carlos II. Making regencies not suck/be boring would greatly improve them too.

The more I think about government types being tied to your idea groups the more I like this idea. It might make idea choices more fun as well, and maybe buff some of the weaker idea sets because they unlock more powerful government forms. If not that then maybe add a bonus that activates if you have X government and Y idea group (Monarchy + Aristocracy = -x% cavalry cost etc).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Republics in the EU time period were no less stable overall than the monarchies of the time. The big question about them was whether a Republic could run a large country. That's one of the big question that hovered above the USA at the time of its founding. The Republics that did exist were either pretty loose confederations or much more local affairs. Venice and Genoa were the ones with the most possessions at various times but they were scattered holdings each with a specific purpose withing their trading and power projection network rather than large territories held for farms, manpower and taxes. Switzerland was a hugely decentralised network of tiny and hugely varied political entities which simply couldn't function as a monarchy with it's implied centralised power.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IMO, it would be a good nerf to Republics being objectively stronger than Monarchies for non-vassal swarm games/HRE poo poo if the early government forms were seriously bad and had pretender revolts and poo poo. But then American/French style federations that are all about balance of power open up and suddenly democracy is this nice mix of centralization and decentralization.

But of course this would then leave the problem that the new Theocracies (besides the Pope) are insanely strong compared to early Republics and Monarchies anyway

Also I really wish they gave Tibet a unique theocracy form when they changed the others. It would be cool if they were a theocracy with monarchy mechanics for heirs, AKA you have heirs that start very young but can potentially rule for 40 years or so.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 5, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
e:^ hopefully that'll get included in the east asia expansion they do sometime. I dunno about constant rebellions, but giving republics a monarchist estate that's hard to deal with would maybe work? Because yeah I literally always pick republics if I have the option; even with the penalties for royal marriages I usually think it's worth it.

Paradox is back from vacation:

quote:

In 1.15 newly conquered provinces will always lose their Estates. Estates staying makes sense historically but it's too detrimental gameplay wise (it'll remain an option for modding though).

also they're talking about a development cap for the AI, so you don't get ridiculously huge OPMS (30-something development Tver was the example). It's not that big a deal for me but I kinda hope they let non-OPMS get their capital past the limit at least. I liked having more 30+ development cities as the game progresses.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 5, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Non-sapient posted:

I didn't have time to colonize all open provinces because colonist travel time bugged out to 1000+ days everywhere, but oh well.

When this happens to me, saving and loading generally fixes it. It's a bug that's been around for a while now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I wish they'd fix that when you alt+tab out of the game the music pauses (good) but the ambiance such as wind, gulls and other animals keeps on going in the speakers.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Poil posted:

Hilariously enough republics are a lot more stable than monarchies in my experience of playing.

Republics are great for turning a disposable ruler into a general if you're waiting for the tradition to tick back up anyway. After being repressed into a boring office job for all of his life the douge now decides to throw all the papers to the side and grabs a sword. Everything is wonderfully simple, you hold one end and stick the other into enemies.

Speaking of republics, I'd love if custom nations could be set to get women as rulers for republics, theocracies, etc. You can start with a high priestess or similar, but every successor will just be men.

Your leader dying in battle would be a disaster for a republic. There would not be an orderly emergency election. I think that every time a republican leader dies in office, there should be a -RT penalty during the emergency election. Emergency elections should be a threat.

And I agree, right now, republics are objectively the best government. You get more monarch points, more reliable, predictable rulers, and a bunch of side benefits, like getting to cycle your free general every 4 years if you don't like him.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I've cored 50 development Prague too many times, the development cap can't come soon enough

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, being able to pick from a pool of potential heirs would make monarchies a lot better. The current system seems like a holdover of the limitations of EU3.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The thing about monarchies is that there should almost never be a regency.

These people had tons of kids and relatives and it wasn't uncommon for different branches of the family tree to take over.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

These people had tons of kids and relatives and it wasn't uncommon for different branches of the family tree to take over.

Yeah, this would make a lot of sense. Even at the cost of some stability or uprisings or something.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, this would make a lot of sense. Even at the cost of some stability or uprisings or something.

Claim Strength would be the most logical cost. You've got three potential randomized heirs with different levels of Claim.

But I could see other costs put in place for if you don't want to suffer a regency.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't feel like republics need a nerf, it's monarchies that are just too bad compared to other options. The 1 in 100 chance for a PU, that might not even be stable, just doesn't make up for all the drawbacks.

Also some republics in this time period were actually very stable, Switzerlands only internal wars were the two during the Reformation (led by Huldrych Zwingli/Zürich) and then way later the two "Sonderbundkriege" which were way after Napoleon. The other wars were a united Switzerland vs HRE/Northern Italy coalitions. The internal politics during that time were rather stable.
From what I remember this wasn't much different for Venice/Florence/North German republics.

If you check history it frequently happened that a prince was considered too young and some uncle/relative came to power. I guess the Hungary/Bohemia events kinda simulate things like this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MrBling posted:

Or at the very least, getting a regency shouldn't prevent you from going to war for up to 15 years. That's bullshit.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Tahirovic posted:

I don't feel like republics need a nerf, it's monarchies that are just too bad compared to other options. The 1 in 100 chance for a PU, that might not even be stable, just doesn't make up for all the drawbacks.

Also some republics in this time period were actually very stable, Switzerlands only internal wars were the two during the Reformation (led by Huldrych Zwingli/Zürich) and then way later the two "Sonderbundkriege" which were way after Napoleon. The other wars were a united Switzerland vs HRE/Northern Italy coalitions. The internal politics during that time were rather stable.
From what I remember this wasn't much different for Venice/Florence/North German republics.

If you check history it frequently happened that a prince was considered too young and some uncle/relative came to power. I guess the Hungary/Bohemia events kinda simulate things like this.

The highly decentralized nature of the Swiss Confederation gave it a lot of stability (and was also something of an exception), and was very different from Italian republican models, where executive positions were essentially elective autocracy. The Swiss model is probably the closest model from this time period to the American model, which succeeded at creating a very large republic, mostly through decentralization (but with a substantially more autocratic executive).

e: I'm not 100% sure that Switzerland should be a country. Realistically, it should be a special combined polity, like the shogunate, or the HRE, where each one province canton is a member and they are all dragged into wars, etc. Each canton casts a vote each term to pick which canton determines foreign policy (e.g. is the "emperor", for simplification purposes), I guess. Never going to happen for an area as generally not important as Switzerland during this time period, though.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 5, 2016

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Fister Roboto posted:

Or at the very least, getting a regency shouldn't prevent you from going to war for up to 15 years. That's bullshit.

Something like a stab hit and maybe some war exhaustion would be far more palatable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

That and the incessantly awful rulers, and the fact that good rulers are coded to be more likely to die.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Has that ever been confirmed? It doesn't sound right.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm pretty sure it has. Better heirs are also more likely to die.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Wiz has denied this repeatedly, so it is definitely true. There are also certain carve-outs to make heir death chance even worse for particular players.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dibujante posted:

Wiz has denied this repeatedly, so it is definitely true. There are also certain carve-outs to make heir death chance even worse for particular players.
He denied it? I thought he confirmed it? Or maybe I'm remembering completely wrong. :saddowns:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hi, as I've said before, I feel it's lovely to mislead players about a game as complex as EU4. Yes it's funny to watch people believe things that aren't true, haw haw. And the fact that some dude is getting riled up over the bullshit of something that isn't true? That's what he gets for being dumb!

New players: Your heirs with good stats are not coded to die earlier, but it often seems that way, which is why folks are screwing with you.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's literally nothing but confirmation bias. Bad heirs are just as likely to die as good heirs; it's just that you notice it more when it's a good heir (or you just have very, very lovely luck).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Poil posted:

He denied it? I thought he confirmed it? Or maybe I'm remembering completely wrong. :saddowns:

I can pretty much promise you if he "confirmed" it he was joking.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
He posted a snippet of code here like a year ago that indicated that, and then made sure everyone knew it was a joke like 3 posts later.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rakthar posted:

Yes it's funny to watch people believe things that aren't true, haw haw. And the fact that some dude is getting riled up over the bullshit of something that isn't true? That's what he gets for being dumb!

Agreed

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's kinda amusing to watch the AI pile in on the same country and suddenly really small and pathetically weak ones do it too but there aren't enough provinces for them to get any warscore and then the piled upon gets out of the other wars, raises a few mercs (about twice or thrice the size army) and just stomps all over them.

Fintilgin posted:

I can pretty much promise you if he "confirmed" it he was joking.
Oh.... Well, I'm an idiot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What, really? I'm an idiot too then apparently.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
For what it's worth, Oirat is a pretty fun Horde start. Not quite as good NIs as Kazan (they have the generic set) but they're Tengri, so you can enact a decision for -1 RR and +2 Heathen Tolerance, plus go syncretic Hindu for another +2 Heathen Tolerance. You start with a god-king general (2/5/5/0) and a pretty good position as long as Ming doesn't step on you.

Edit: the heathen tolerance is really good because most/all of the land you conquer won't be Tengri, obviously. Revolts suck as a horde because you have huge amounts of land with few forts, plus quelling revolts costs manpower and returns no cash/MPs like fighting real wars.

relative to Kazan, Oirat can enact decisions for a net gain of

-1 national RR
+2 Heathen Tolerance or +2% Missionary Strength
+1.5 yearly prestige
-10% stab cost

if/when you get Humanism you can go syncretic Shinto or something :getin:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 5, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Wiz must be tempted to make so many horrifying jokes about how EU "secretly" works right now, just to see which ones stick.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I have the design documents

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VerdantSquire posted:

It's literally nothing but confirmation bias. Bad heirs are just as likely to die as good heirs; it's just that you notice it more when it's a good heir (or you just have very, very lovely luck).

This is exactly it. It just feels like the game is cheating because you actually notice and give way more of a gently caress when your 5/5/5 heir dies a year away from becoming ruler and ending a regency than when your 2/0/1 idiot son dies and is immediately replaced.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

According to the wiki, focusing on Odin as your deity when Norse gives you +0.1 horde unity. That's... interesting. Vikings on the steppes is kinda ridiculous though.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

My 5th try as Manchu ended up in ruins because Ming got the unite China mission. :saddowns:

Aaaaagh. Ming didn't implode once in every one of these tries. I never manage to stackwipe them, even going with all my forcelimit full cav and tech advantage, which is probably more due to my permanent newbie status with this game than anything else.

Gonna smuggle some crap in Elite while I figure how to beat the yellow giant :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I only play ironman but I will end task the game if I get a regency.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Transmetropolitan posted:

My 5th try as Manchu ended up in ruins because Ming got the unite China mission. :saddowns:

Aaaaagh. Ming didn't implode once in every one of these tries. I never manage to stackwipe them, even going with all my forcelimit full cav and tech advantage

It might be better to have a row of mercs instead of cav when fighting a unified Ming. Bait them into your land and run them out of manpower while you pay 0 for reinforcements.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, how many actual loans do I need to Major gently caress Things Up for them (Ming), though?

My main reservation on that front is that hordes are so drat poor that I am not so sure that going with an all in against them wouldn't bankrupt me even with a major victory

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just drive them to a white peace. Revolts will do the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Koramei posted:

He posted a snippet of code here like a year ago that indicated that, and then made sure everyone knew it was a joke like 3 posts later.

Said snippet also specified that if the username was "Beamed" it was even more likely. :smith:

• Locked thread