Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
At one point, there were allegedly plans to release mod tools, but forum drama happened and they changed their minds. Also something about expensive licensing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

A few pages of discussion to result with: "ALB arty was breddy gud" lmao.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I still disagree. ALB artillery was mostly useless, you'd only use the top tier ones (and high HE mortars) because they were at least capable of doing some damage. None of the stuff that ~applied debuffs~ was really worth spending a lot of points on.

RD artillery is better. It takes longer to aim, so it's harder to use against mobile units and attacks, but it's actually effective against static little doomforts.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I don't think artillery is much of a problem in RD either. The only people getting wrecked by artillery are those who aren't playing to the line-of-sight of the map and not trying to stop scouts getting eyes on their stuff.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yo where's that replay?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Tulip posted:

Yo where's that replay?

That screenshot just looks like a typical Bloody Ridge deployment.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mukip posted:

That screenshot just looks like a typical Bloody Ridge deployment.

I just want a good goon-approved replay, I'm not super interested in watching the 4Chan tournament even if the main turnoff is the team names.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Foxdie made a thing (I helped a little): http://www.wargamedb.com/

It's still in beta so doesn't have all the units. If you have feature requests or spot something missing please let me know.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

anyone game dumb play

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
This game of sour feelings is still actively played for whatever reason.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Elukka posted:

I still disagree. ALB artillery was mostly useless, you'd only use the top tier ones (and high HE mortars) because they were at least capable of doing some damage. None of the stuff that ~applied debuffs~ was really worth spending a lot of points on.

RD artillery is better. It takes longer to aim, so it's harder to use against mobile units and attacks, but it's actually effective against static little doomforts.

I remember artillery being pretty important to soften things up before pushing in ALB. Also for knocking out expensive air defenses, murdering doom forts in treelines and hilltops, and infantry running around on mountains.

You couldn't easily knock over a town-doomfort with just artillery, but you could drain them of points and knock out the valuable ATGM teams. I actually liked the idea artillery would not murder everything entrenched in a town, requiring you to actually use your own infantry for that. It made towns important.
The problem is that artillery didn't really soften infantry up for as long as it probably should have, so by the time your APCs had closed in to assault the place they'd usually be popping them with accurate RPG shots again and stranding your dudes in the open.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I really think the easiest solution to the whole problem would've just been increasing the distance at which house infantry can be spotted by very good or exceptional recon. Make it so they can be spotted and shot by tanks at a reasonable distance, forcing the defender to both hold the town but also the areas directly around the town with tanks and armor. It was too easy to doomfort and make the entire town dangerous with just infantry and recon.

Like if it was 750m, double it and see what happens. Then work from there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

play a america game time?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mazz posted:

I really think the easiest solution to the whole problem would've just been increasing the distance at which house infantry can be spotted by very good or exceptional recon. Make it so they can be spotted and shot by tanks at a reasonable distance, forcing the defender to both hold the town but also the areas directly around the town with tanks and armor. It was too easy to doomfort and make the entire town dangerous with just infantry and recon.

I like this idea, because it would let an external presence force units out of the front line of buildings and give up enough to get a foothold, but only while under active suppression. It would also lead to the fight for clear lines into the city prevailing, which is generally good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mazz posted:

Here's an old trick for dealing with mens in houses. Casualties get higher if they have a lot of cheap ATGM teams dug in but I historically found it manageable.

Tulip fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 5, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tulip posted:

Here's an old trick for dealing with mens in houses. Casualties get higher if they have a lot of cheap ATGM teams dug in but I historically found it manageable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIiU-rfTtE

What time index?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

xthetenth posted:

What time index?

Goddamn embedded videos. Starts about 25:45, they start explaining it about 26:06.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

xthetenth posted:

What time index?

at about 25:30 infantry for the reveal and cheap armor for the stunlock.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Had a few Cat C only matches with friends and it was the most fun I've had with the game in a while. The combination of new maps and no prototypes made for actually quite engaging matches. Then I realized that it was pretty much the ALB experience.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Tulip posted:

That does work, but in ALB there were far more ATGM teams in houses (people use less in RD because of the lethality of artillery), and USSR didn't have 15 man reserve squads to pair with Su-122-54s (or any of the 4 HE tanks). It's a lot more effective in RD like that because of a differently balanced game. I actually used to run 2 cards of Jagdkommando in my FRG deck and just put 8-12 on the front lines of my major holdings. Also, like 3-4 mortars on the defender's side could've changed the outcome more or less, just barrage the low armor Su-122s until they back off.

Artillery being more lethal was good for fixing the ATGM problem, but it just comes with a lot of other downsides IMO whereas we could've tried just fixing the house problem directly and see where that took us.

But yes, I had 2 20 man cards of Moto in my ALB USSR deck along with T-64A for almost exactly that kind of push, along with a lot of other utility uses. Even in destruction it could go points positive as long as you made sure to punish that panicked airstrike that people always tried to turn the tide with.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 5, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Hazamuth posted:

Had a few Cat C only matches with friends and it was the most fun I've had with the game in a while. The combination of new maps and no prototypes made for actually quite engaging matches. Then I realized that it was pretty much the ALB experience.

Yup, that era is my favorite as well. Less sniping, less BS.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone want to play a goon game tonight?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Sure. Usually I wait on Mumble until enough people show up to play.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I uploaded my latest verison of the 2nd Korean War campaign mod recently on the forums guys, if anyone is interested in SP still,. If anyone feels like it, here's a link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/o039kjep3xlbia9/MOD.rar

The thread is here: http://forums.eugensystems.com/viewtopic.php?f=187&t=44459&start=490

If you'd like to report any errors or have suggestions for BG tweaks or flavor text errors you spot, please let me know :) I know a few people play SP still, its a loving shame coop is gone because in this campaign that'd have been magnificent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know that I'll be available tonight until late.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
Anybody wanna help test the newest ural mod?

We have a release candidate here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8khz71jnzvvt13o/UralMod_2.1RC4.zip?dl=0

Documentation is pretty sparse because I haven't had time to do much of anything lately (including testing), but here is the main changelog: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_pPqXyE2SvnVlYSijHSIUbLQBktiXaPtFNIjb2kff78/edit#gid=678467639

And this document contains stats for infantry AT, plane prices and availability, faction bonuses and air-to-air missiles: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-32yjT7goePLBfP9NzMXDzEp9Fjhe6NL-mTbRZNiums/edit#gid=182015747

I'd be very interested in feedback on how air power plays now (since it's seen a total overhaul) as well as balance between factions (superpowers vs coalitions vs minors).

I'm also looking for feedback on the installation process. Installation is carried out by placing the four bat files and the uralmod folder in your main Wargame RD directory and then running the installer bat. I'd like to know whether this process actually works for other people.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I come humbled. Having watched the latest tournament and started playing again, the state of the balance is enormously different and more fun than it was when I last played and my more recent judgments were based on a false understanding. If anything, artillery is even less important than it was in ALB. Mea culpa.

What's the current thought on flame infantry? I know that they tend to swing wildly from 'great' to 'garbage,' and the fact that I never see them seems to point to the latter, but is there some untapped potential for them?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you watch a latest tournament?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you watch a latest tournament?

I've been watching via this YouTube channel. I'm not happy about the quality of the caster but it's easier and faster than finding the games myself.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Tulip posted:

What's the current thought on flame infantry? I know that they tend to swing wildly from 'great' to 'garbage,' and the fact that I never see them seems to point to the latter, but is there some untapped potential for them?

I think flame infantry are okay, the one with napalm rockets are better. But a lot of the newer maps don't cater to drawn out urban fights so they are niche units in the very competitive infantry slots.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukip posted:

very competitive infantry slots.

Cf. AP balance no longer matters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why does everyone in the tournament play red?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Buratinos and Mig 27s. There's a few blufor entries, and they tend to do just as well as red, but mostly on the back of blue dragon infantry of all the drat things.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Tulip posted:

Buratinos and Mig 27s. There's a few blufor entries, and they tend to do just as well as red, but mostly on the back of blue dragon infantry of all the drat things.

Also PACT still has the missile advantage, you see a lot of BMP-3s and a few T-80As in that video you posted. Big advantage on the open ground maps you see pretty often.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mazz posted:

Also PACT still has the missile advantage, you see a lot of BMP-3s and a few T-80As in that video you posted. Big advantage on the open ground maps you see pretty often.

Also SU-122-54s and SovKor can take 3 cards of Superheavies. The 3 cards thing is just kind of nice to know but the SU-122-54 thing was decisive in at least one match on Hop & Glory.

Blufor has a few advantages that come up in the tournament - Jagers and Hachinana Shiki proved to be decisive for grinding out a victory on Another D-Day in Paradise - but ATACMs and Longbows don't seem to come up decisively.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh. Yet a bunch of Bluefor cheap tanks and support guns exist. The only thing they don't have is a Burrito. MARS and ATACMS replicate Smerch functionality just fine. And Blue Dragon has some sort of burrito thing right?

And the MiG-27 doesn't seem special compared to the plenitude of AGM planes on Blue.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The SU 122 has 5 HE at 15 points, it's a lot better than other support guns.

The MiG 27 is 105 points, which is important when you have no intention of the plane flying a second mission.

I'd say ATACMs is a distinct advantage of Blufor, but I also don't see players that are much better than me using them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

Huh. Yet a bunch of Bluefor cheap tanks and support guns exist. The only thing they don't have is a Burrito. MARS and ATACMS replicate Smerch functionality just fine. And Blue Dragon has some sort of burrito thing right?

And the MiG-27 doesn't seem special compared to the plenitude of AGM planes on Blue.

Isn't the distinctive thing with the su-122 that it's a cheap fire support with HE 4? Blufor in general doesn't seem to have a lot of high he cannons

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

Isn't the distinctive thing with the su-122 that it's a cheap fire support with HE 4? Blufor in general doesn't seem to have a lot of high he cannons

Yeah, it's a very good combination of armor greater than 1 or 2 and HE for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly it's pretty lame that only one side is played at tournaments because of a few outlier units in a roster of hundreds. You saw the same thing back in ALB where nobody played red for a while.

• Locked thread