Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Food and medicine, the medicinal crisis is worse at the moment.

The problem, though, is that the government doesn't want to play ball at all. This latest move to will likely precipitate a constitutional crisis and foster in a period of ungovernability until it's resolved, with the new parliament dissolved, the current government unseated or a third option where the MUD and the government reach some kind of consensus as to how to move forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Amused to Death posted:

I feel like the end result of this is basically going to be riots

Will the riots be "dignified expressions of love for the motherland" or "terrorist attacks against Chavez's children"? Only time will tell!

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
Well the MUDs plans are to have a massive group of people March publically into the congress with all the Representatives and see them seated. How could that possibly fail? The chavistas can mount a counter protest and violence in the streets but they have so little support amongst the populace that if anything major goes down people will only convinced further to vote against them.

The only Hope here for psuv lies in their paramilitary forces.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CalmDownMate posted:

Well the MUDs plans are to have a massive group of people March publically into the congress with all the Representatives and see them seated. How could that possibly fail? The chavistas can mount a counter protest and violence in the streets but they have so little support amongst the populace that if anything major goes down people will only convinced further to vote against them.

The only Hope here for psuv lies in their paramilitary forces.

How'd it work out for the French National Assembly?

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe
There is no time like the present to Kill All Communists.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

How'd it work out for the French National Assembly?

Well, it turned out a number of different ways on the 10 or so occasions it occurred. So, outlook is hazy.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Well as I hear, the sloat judges, bought and paid for (or at gunpoint) have judicially voided the super-majority of the opposition.
It will be interesting how this plays out.
Interesting in the bad sense.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The MUD is calling for all 112 elected deputies to show up to the National Assembly on January 5 to take place in the swearing-in ceremony.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but a group of colectivos also put out the call to head to the National Assembly on the same day to protest the MUD take-over. The article I read last week on this had a press release signed by 6-7 colectivos to that effect.

Yesterday, Henry Ramos Allup and Julio Borges (one of whom will probably become National Assembly President tomorrow when they MUD votes on it) released a statement yesterday calling on the National Armed Forces to stand by their commitment to uphold the Constitution in the face of this obvious attempt by the PSUV at reversing the election's results.

One of the 3 MUD deputies whose victory has been blocked by the Supreme Court, Romel Guzamana, told El Nacional today that he spent the last two days at the TSJ offices in Caracas and he still doesn't know exactly what's happening. No one at the TSJ was able to provide him with his case for review. He has one day left to file an appeal, but the TSJ offices are closed for the weekend.

He beat the PSUV candidate for the Indigenous Representative seat (Southern Region) 33,353 votes to 15,724.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Countdown until Maduro orders the arrest of all the MUD deputies for inciting violence and terrorism.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Tomorrow the new assembly will be seated after a march from opposition supporters that will take place only a couple of blocks from my home, I'll try to be there.

During their last days in office, the old national assembly approved over a billion bolivares for the government (in a session that lasted 20 minutes), looted the equipment and fired several workers from the official government channel that covers the assembly (after saying that the opposition planned to gut the channel themselves), and packed the Supreme Court with staunch PSUV supporters who will honor the tradition of their predecessors who didn't rule against the government once in over a decade.

The worst news of the past days, however, is that Maduro passed a law by decree (which he was empowered to do thanks to the old assembly) which essentially states that only the president can name members of the Central Bank's board of directors (whereas previously half would be selected by the assembly and half by him under their guidance) and the bank can directly finance the state and other private institutions (which expressly violates the constitution).

The government has been printing money at an alarming rate during the past few years (we closed 2015 with an inflation of 215%) and now, faced with losing control of the state budget due to the change in leadership within the assembly, they've elected to outright steal the printing machine in order to continue unabated. We're likely to finally reach hyperinflation this year unless the assembly forces a change in government soon, which implies a confrontation.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Any predictions for tomorrow, Labradoodle? I saw that Henry Ramos Allup (the MUD deputy who will be National Assembly President starting tomorrow) was blocked from entering the building today just because. I also just saw that Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino Lopez said that the army wasn't a referee and that it wasn't its job to mediate between political parties.

In other words, he told the MUD "You're on your own tomorrow. Good luck when the colectivos show up!".

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Chuck Boone posted:

Any predictions for tomorrow, Labradoodle? I saw that Henry Ramos Allup (the MUD deputy who will be National Assembly President starting tomorrow) was blocked from entering the building today just because. I also just saw that Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino Lopez said that the army wasn't a referee and that it wasn't its job to mediate between political parties.

In other words, he told the MUD "You're on your own tomorrow. Good luck when the colectivos show up!".

Well, right now Maduro is on cadena saying that he wants the new assembly to be seated in peace and with no incidents. I'm guessing the next move is to kind of ignore the official assembly when possible (probably by saying they don't have a 2/3rds majority due to the Supreme Court's ruling), and talk up the communal parliament moving forward.

UPDATE: The session is beginning and Diosdado already gave us a glimpse of their future maneuvers by stating that any decision that includes the contested assembly members will be null and void.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 5, 2016

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
So how are things going over there? Isn't the new assembly being seated today?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So how are things going over there? Isn't the new assembly being seated today?

Seated with a few minor isolated incidents on the way in, but no major violent outbreaks. The assembly is still in the "opening" process, which means that the oldest assembly member (who's in the middle of a rambling speech) is leading a discussion before the assembly president takes his seat. The question now is how they will respond to the "suspension" of their fellow members, Cilia Flores (Maduro's wife) pretty much said that if the assembly doesn't recognize the authority of the Supreme Court, the other powers should not recognize the authority of the assembly, but let's see how things proceed.

UPDATE: The new leaders of the assembly are about to be sworn in and some reporters have been attacked outside by members of colectivos, but everything inside is proceeding with normalcy.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Labradoodle posted:

Seated with a few minor isolated on the way in, but no major violent outbreaks. The assembly is still in the "opening" process, which means that the oldest assembly member (who's in the middle of a rambling speech) is leading a discussion before the assembly president takes his seat. The question now is how they will respond to the "suspension" of their fellow members, Cilia Flores (Maduro's wife) pretty much said that if the assembly doesn't recognize the authority of the Supreme Court, the other powers should not recognize the authority of the assembly, but let's see how things proceed.

Thanks for the update.

One thing I think that will be really important to communicate to people in general is that the landslide win in this election is not enough to effect change and that continued engagement with politics and ongoing events will be required. One of the dangers is that people could end up thinking that they've done their bit and now that they voted the opposition in it is up to them to sort out all the problems. Except as we know their power is limited, even on paper let alone their ability to get things done on the ground, and effecting change is going to be a long process that will require public support if they want it to happen.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Goddamn, Chavista deputies are petty shitheels. Right now they are crowding and heckling Julio Borges and Henry Ramos Allup.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Aaaaaaand now the government deputies are simply leaving the building after like 20 minutes when the MUD didn't fall for their sabotage attempts.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Here's a link to a live feed from the proceedings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKbcUlD8BI

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Labradoodle posted:

Aaaaaaand now the government deputies are simply leaving the building after like 20 minutes when the MUD didn't fall for their sabotage attempts.

Nice. Not petty and disrespectful at all.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Munin posted:

Nice. Not petty and disrespectful at all.

To be honest, the opposition deputies regularly did the same when they were a minority and the PSUV would walk all over them, with Diosdado wielding his power pettily. But this was just silly, especially when you consider they left while Borges while talking about how they would seek to grant land and property deeds and expand "social security" for the elderly; it just paints a bad picture.

UPDATE: Allup, the new assembly president just confirmed rumors that he would be seeking a change in government via a method yet to be decided (either a recall referendum or a constitutional assembly) within six months starting from today.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 5, 2016

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Labradoodle posted:

UPDATE: Allup, the new assembly president just confirmed rumors that he would be seeking a change in government via a method yet to be decided (either a recall referendum or a constitutional assembly) within six months starting from today.

Right-wing coup plot CONFIRMED.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
It was really great hearing the MUD deputies talk about Cilia Flores' nephews (not by name, though), plus the whole Banca d'Andorra money laundering scheme with PDVSA and all the other billions of dollars that have been stolen while the PSUV deputies were all sitting there grinning.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35231562

quote:

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has limited the National Assembly's powers over the Central Bank.
President Maduro approved the changes on Wednesday, but it only became public on Monday.
The president will now no longer need legislative approval to hire and fire Central Bank directors.

The amended law not only curtails the powers of the assembly over Central Bank appointments, it also allows the bank to withhold data if it deems its publication a threat to national security or economic stability.
Opposition lawmakers, who won a landslide victory in elections on 6 December, had said they would press for the publication of key data.
Inflation figures, estimated to be among the highest in the world, have not been made public since December 2014,
'Monstrosity'
Under the new law, the Central Bank can also allocate money to the state without the approval of the National Assembly.

This essentially bypasses the National Assembly's power of the purse by allowing Maduro to fund the government any way he sees fit through the Central Bank.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If they have 112 seats, can the National Assembly override this change?

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

I hope the MUD makes public how they are getting blocked after rightfully winning. I hope the information spreads.

Because by the time the PSUV starts blaming the MUD for "not changing enough" or whatever the gently caress they come up with; the MUD should have documented and publicized all the shady poo poo that the PSUV had been doing to make the MUD powerless.

The only hope the psuv has is for people to be uninformed or confused about the whole situation, so that later on they can invent whatever they want in their grandiose authoritarian speeches.

wiregrind fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 6, 2016

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Cicero posted:

If they have 112 seats, can the National Assembly override this change?

In a normal, functioning democracy, yes. In the dystopian kleptocracy that is Venezuela, it's not looking good.

The last (PSUV controlled) National Assembly rushed the appointment of 13 judges to the Supreme Court a few weeks ago. They went through a list of 400 candidates in 2 days and stuffed the court with lackeys. Two of those lackeys made it into the Supreme Court's Electoral Chamber, which is the body that decides on electoral matters.

Surprise surprise, just a few days after that same Electoral Chamber announced that they were ordering an injunction against the four candidates who won in Amazonas state for an absurd reason. Three of those candidates are from the MUD and one is from the PSUV. That's why only 109 and 54 MUD and PSUV deputies, respectively, were sworn in yesterday.

Diosdado Cabello said in an interview before the start of the session yesterday that if the MUD wanted to disregard the Supreme Court injunction and have its 112 deputies vote, then the PSUV would just ignore whatever they voted on. So the MUD is in a tough spot.

There is 0 judicial independence in Venezuela. The Supreme Court is 100% in the pocket of the PSUV.

wiregrind posted:

I hope the MUD makes public how they are getting blocked after rightfully winning. I hope the information spreads.

Because by the time the PSUV starts blaming the MUD for "not changing enough" or whatever the gently caress they come up with; the MUD should have documented and publicized all the shady poo poo that the PSUV had been doing to make the MUD powerless.

The only hope the psuv has is for people to be uninformed or confused about the whole situation, so that later on they can invent whatever they want in their grandiose authoritarian speeches.

The MUD has been pretty outspoken about all of this nonsense. People definitely know.

If there's one thing I learned from the December 6 election is that there's only so much BS you can feed someone. Maduro's approval rating is probably - at the high end - 25%. If the MUD has its way and get a recall referendum, I have no doubt that Maduro would lose.

I think the vast majority of Venezuelans see the PSUV as the sham that it is. Hector Rodriguez and Diosdado Cabello and all the other criminals can go on TV and talk about how they're the people's party, how they care for the poor, etc. all that they want. What the PSUV says doesn't reflect people's lived realities.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Where's Borneo Jimmy? I can't form a correct opinion without his impartial information bulletins.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

wiregrind posted:

Adding to what Chuck said, one of the reasons why the PSUV threw a hissy fit and left the assembly early yesterday was exactly because it's not in their best interest to be televised while being publicly called out as the crooks they are. Let me explain, until yesterday, the only media that could transmit from inside the assembly was their official channel, which was packed with die-hard PSUV supporters. Now suddenly, every channel is allowed back in and there's fighting to interview assembly members and transmit everything the new assembly does because it's a historic moment.

Suddenly you get money shots like the assembly member who called out the government for giving diplomatic passports to drug traffickers or the massive embezzlement of funds they took part in and all that poo poo is being broadcasted across the country with no censoring. All the channels and radio stations that would never raise their hands against chavismo for fear of getting shut down, are suddenly fearless because people want to see what goes down in there. Usually, government spokespersons would never debate anyone in public, or give statements to journalists that asked them real questions, so for the people who don't have the means (internet) or the time to bypass this blockade, that's all they know.

Now, the legalese about the 112 assembly members may be lost in translation, but people certainly know that chavismo is trying to pull some fast poo poo because they've spent over a decade telling anyone who would listen how their voting system was perfect.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

Now, the legalese about the 112 assembly members may be lost in translation, but people certainly know that chavismo is trying to pull some fast poo poo because they've spent over a decade telling anyone who would listen how their voting system was perfect.

The most :psyduck: I've heard from pro-government types recently is, "The opposition has been saying for 16 years that the electoral system is broken. Now they say it's fine?".

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Today's session just kicked off and the government predictably went a step further and used the regulatory body for media to ban live transmissions. I'm watching via Periscope (https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MnxnVNQPboxO) and the last 3 deputies were just sworn in. Chavismo replied by saying that due to that action, all decisions by the assembly will be considered null and void.

Now, the legal issue here is: the ruling by the Supreme Court used an illegal recording as evidence and furthermore, they have no authority to declare the elections void since the electoral council already proclaimed those 3 deputies as the winners. Once that occurred, parliamentary immunity kicked in and they could only be stripped of their power by a majority of the new assembly, which chavismo does not have.

The PSUV assembly members just left the building again and now the MUD is moving onto the second order of the day: the illegitimacy of the Supreme Court itself. The constitutional crisis just started, folks.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
That's heavy stuff.

The PSUV deputies remind me of those "Freeman on the Land" nut jobs that walk into their trials and start declaring laws and the legal system null and void as if just saying the words makes it so.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 7, 2016

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Labradoodle posted:

Today's session just kicked off and the government predictably went a step further and used the regulatory body for media to ban live transmissions. I'm watching via Periscope (https://www.periscope.tv/w/1MnxnVNQPboxO) and the last 3 deputies were just sworn in. Chavismo replied by saying that due to that action, all decisions by the assembly will be considered null and void.

Now, the legal issue here is: the ruling by the Supreme Court used an illegal recording as evidence and furthermore, they have no authority to declare the elections void since the electoral council already proclaimed those 3 deputies as the winners. Once that occurred, parliamentary immunity kicked in and they could only be stripped of their power by a majority of the new assembly, which chavismo does not have.

The PSUV assembly members just left the building again and now the MUD is moving onto the second order of the day: the illegitimacy of the Supreme Court itself. The constitutional crisis just started, folks.

I think the MUD is taking the correct response by refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of the Supreme Court. This is provoking a constitutional crisis, and its the natural outcome of the destruction of impartial institutions by Chavez and his supporters. The system is rigged to be a Chavismo system; it has to be dismantled and turned back into a legitimate democracy, which is going to be a painful process as %% of the country wants to continue the previous status-quo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's all gonna come down to what the army does when they empty out the supreme court, isn't it? :ohdear:

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Apparently they just threatened to leave the building, the PSUV members are still in there talking and a local channel is transmitting it live, so I don't know what the gently caress is going on. I'll update later when they get to talking about the Supreme Court.

Diosdado is talking to Globovision saying they'll ask the Supreme Court to declare the Assembly in contempt and that no government body will recognize any laws that the Assembly passes due to its illegitimacy.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 6, 2016

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

So what pretext did CONATEL use to throw out the media?

Edit: I'm watching it via Globovisión, what's going on?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xio7e2_senal-en-vivo_news

beer_war fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 6, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Labradoodle posted:

Apparently they just threatened to leave the building, the PSUV members are still in there talking and a local channel is transmitting it live, so I don't know what the gently caress is going on. I'll update later when they get to talking about the Supreme Court.

Diosdado is talking to Globovision saying they'll ask the Supreme Court to declare the Assembly in contempt and that no government body will recognize any laws that the Assembly passes due to its illegitimacy.

No government body was going to recognize any law that went against the PSUV's interests anyway

Glad the MUD had the balls to seat all their democratically elected deputies

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Hahahaha, the Assembly just passed a vote to allow all media access to the chambers and a PSUV deputy stood up to ask that it be noted the vote was null because of the 3 contested members, and was basically answered "They didn't vote, dumbass". Then they went "Well, it's still null because they were in the chambers".

Despite the obvious implications of today's session, it's still a goldmine of zingers from side to side. It's like watching a telenovela.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
The daily Venezuela news cycle isn't complete without Jimmy.

So how does a showdown between the courts and the assembly play out?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Chuck Boone posted:

That's heavy stuff.

The PSUV deputies remind me of those "Freemand on the Land" nut jobs that walk into their trials and start declaring laws and the legal system null and void as if just saying the words makes it so.

The problem is though that unlike those nutcases they know what they are doing and sprouting all this guff to give a thin veneer of legitimacy to their attempts to neuter the newly seated assembly. Whether what they are doing are technically legal or constitutional doesn't matter as long as they have the ability to get those done.

Who provides security to the assembly building btw? Have the PSUV attempted to ask them to clear the media out or cut off broadcasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't know if you guys have posted about it but the new "VP of the economy" is a 39 year old professor from a chavist university. He's written in the past that in flation doesn't exist and is the result of capitalist conspiracy.