Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

turtlecrunch posted:

I only meant "crappy" because their fleet no longer has any diversity besides x-wings and flying Subway lunchboxes.

Would that apply to the First Order as well, though? They're supposedly a shadow of their former selves, and yet they had the capital to construct a planet-sized Deathstar. Still, they only had the one fighter type. For me, there is no meaningful narrative reason for their fleets to be comprised primarily of X-wings and Ties, though I'd rather have missed something than for that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I don't really know what the First Order's strength actually is. The Empire wasn't just that one Death Star, but we don't have extra movies to put FO into more context. We know they have at least one star destroyer, I guess.

The opening crawl also says the FO is devoted to killing Luke Skywalker, but they spend the whole movie messing with the Resistance and in fact devote a planetbuster to that end, while only Kylo Ren really cares about getting the map (Hux even lectures him about this, saying Snoke told them to destroy the droid if they need to).

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't really know what the First Order's strength actually is. The Empire wasn't just that one Death Star, but we don't have extra movies to put FO into more context. We know they have at least one star destroyer, I guess.

The opening crawl also says the FO is devoted to killing Luke Skywalker, but they spend the whole movie messing with the Resistance and in fact devote a planetbuster to that end, while only Kylo Ren really cares about getting the map (Hux even lectures him about this, saying Snoke told them to destroy the droid if they need to).

I think one of the PT's strengths was in making it clear what the political landscape was, who the players were, and how certain things fit. I have no idea what the state of things are between the Empire and Republic, or how the Resistance and First Order fit into that. I kind of gathered the Resistance was being half-heartedly supported financially and logistically by the Republic, but the New Order seemed too small to have been considered an existential threat to the Republic (prior to the unveiling of Starkiller), but too big to be ignored. Maybe it's something they go into through a book companion or something, but the film really didn't make a whole lot clear.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 5, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Xeremides posted:

Would that apply to the First Order as well, though? They're supposedly a shadow of their former selves, and yet they had the capital to construct a planet-sized Deathstar. Still, they only had the one fighter type. For me, there is no meaningful narrative reason for their fleets to be comprised primarily of X-wings and Ties, though I'd rather have missed something than for that to be the case.

They bolted a Death Star like weapon onto an existing planet, so who knows if building a giant trench system/superlaser emplacement/etc. that stretches around the equator of a planet is more work than creating a smaller but 100% artificial Death Star.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Xeremides posted:

I think one of the PT's strengths was in making it clear what the political landscape was, who the players were, and how certain things fit. I have no idea what the state of things are between the Empire and Republic, or how the Resistance and First Order fit into that. I kind of gathered the Resistance was being half-heartedly supported financially and logistically by the Republic, but the New Order seemed too small to have been considered an existential threat to the Republic (prior to the unveiling of Starkiller), but too big to be ignored. Maybe it's something they go into through a book companion or something, but the film really didn't make a whole lot clear.

Yeah the movie wasn't clear about it at all beyond Republic funds Resistance which fights First Order. Maybe it's heavily relying on us to expect Resistance = Rebels = good guys and First Order = Nazis Empire = bad guys, but I guess I'm not eight years old anymore.

(I hadn't been born when the OT came out so I'm not sure when I first watched it.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah the movie wasn't clear about it at all beyond Republic funds Resistance which fights First Order. Maybe it's heavily relying on us to expect Resistance = Rebels = good guys and First Order = Nazis Empire = bad guys, but I guess I'm not eight years old anymore.

(I hadn't been born when the OT came out so I'm not sure when I first watched it.)

I think an eight-year-old would be especially confused, because how are they going to intuitively assume 'proxy war'?

The main issue with the film is that most of the Leia's scenes are cut. She would have been the one trying to warn the Republic, and would ultimately hand Rey the lightsaber at the end of the film as a sort of blessing.

In the final cut, Leia's role is "Han's wife".

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gotta figure they cut Leia's scenes out as an absurd over-reaction to the morons who drone about "politics" in the prequels

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
My guess regarding Starkiller Base's mobility was that it was actually a huge ship that they could fly around and then "land" on a planet/moon by essentially digging into the surface, like an oil well or whatever.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Waffles Inc. posted:

Gotta figure they cut Leia's scenes out as an absurd over-reaction to the morons who drone about "politics" in the prequels

They probably cut it because it was awkward to watch her mouth move.

I love Carrie, but she's had a rough life.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
So I finally got to see the force awakens the other day and I absolutely loved it. It was great. It really made me feel a bit like when I first saw the original trilogy and has actually made me really interested in star wars for the first time in like 15 years. Im so glad that the franchise is back and in such a big way.

My only real comment is initially i was really worried that theyre gonna make rey lukes daughter or a skywalker in general, but now that I think of it, having two skywalkers of the same generation duking it out in the ultimate battle to determine who wins the force is pretty cool actually so whatever :cool:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Solfrann posted:

They probably cut it because it was awkward to watch her mouth move.

I love Carrie, but she's had a rough life.

Yeah also this. I didn't even recognise her at first. She looks dreadful :(

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's that and a number of other factors. By cutting Leia's scenes, the characterization of Maz and Rey is also simplified.

This shot from the trailer shows that there was an alternate ending - Rey gives the sword back to Maz at the end of the film, and then Maz gives it to Leia and says "here, you talk to her" or something. Leia would ultimately be the one who convinces Rey to be a Jedi.

The end result is that we would have a much better understanding of how Maz and Rey relate to the Republic/Resistance. In the final cut, Rey just spontaneously loves Luke and goes off to search for him. Leia's all waving as Rey flies away with her husband's car and her brother's sword.

These are not plot holes but 'character holes': Rey never really cared about the Jedi. She idolizes Han Solo, the smuggler. Leia's the one who was searching for Luke the entire film. At the end, these roles are inexplicably reversed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Xeremides posted:

Those are top of the line X-Wings, though. You'd think, if the Republic were just giving the Resistance token support, they'd have given them older generation fighters and bombers, not T-70s. I think the fact that they were, at worst, equal in capability to the Tie's, with the X-wings outclassing them despite being heavily outnumbered, is a testament to their quality, both technologically and in terms of pilots.

I think the T-70 is actually an older X-Wing, i seen something about the current model being the T-85.

That's all just silly EU stuff though, and has no bearing on the film.

Found out they mention it in the prequel book.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is such an awful complaint because the entire point of the prequels is to set up the story of the OT. A huge part of that is showing how the Republic fell to the Empire, which is almost entirely a political issue.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

I think the T-70 is actually an older X-Wing, i seen something about the current model being the T-85.

That's all just silly EU stuff though, and has no bearing on the film.

Found out they mention it in the prequel book.

I looked it up, and you're on the money, though it looks to be more important than typical EU stuff since it's a direct prequel to the film. T-85s were used by Poe and his squadron while working for the Republic. So now I'm left wondering why the New Order is using fighters that are equal to or worse than T-70s, while still being able to afford to build a planet-sized Deathstar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

corn in the fridge posted:

Yeah also this. I didn't even recognise her at first. She looks dreadful :(

The sad part is she looks better than she has in years.

Xeremides posted:

I looked it up, and you're on the money, though it looks to be more important than typical EU stuff since it's a direct prequel to the film. T-85s were used by Poe and his squadron while working for the Republic. So now I'm left wondering why the New Order is using fighters that are equal to or worse than T-70s, while still being able to afford to build a planet-sized Deathstar.

They can only afford old TIE fighters specifically because they spent all that money on a planet-sized DeathStar.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

The sad part is she looks better than she has in years.

They can only afford old TIE fighters specifically because they spent all that money on a planet-sized DeathStar.

That sounds more like a rationalization than a narrative-based reason for only including two kinds of fighters in the film. And hell, if having interceptors was too much of an issue, at least add proper AA to your weak point instead of relying on inferior fighters that just happen to be the equal of whatever the resistance is using.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's that and a number of other factors. By cutting Leia's scenes, the characterization of Maz and Rey is also simplified.

This shot from the trailer shows that there was an alternate ending - Rey gives the sword back to Maz at the end of the film, and then Maz gives it to Leia and says "here, you talk to her" or something. Leia would ultimately be the one who convinces Rey to be a Jedi.

The end result is that we would have a much better understanding of how Maz and Rey relate to the Republic/Resistance. In the final cut, Rey just spontaneously loves Luke and goes off to search for him. Leia's all waving as Rey flies away with her husband's car and her brother's sword.

These are not plot holes but 'character holes': Rey never really cared about the Jedi. She idolizes Han Solo, the smuggler. Leia's the one who was searching for Luke the entire film. At the end, these roles are inexplicably reversed.

You are kind of ignoring how she holds out the saber in kind of a desperate "please take this from me" gesture. The opening act also shows she has a lot of interest in Luke and the force, thinking he was a legend and asking with wide eyes if it was all true.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Or maybe the TIEs and even T-70s are perfectly fine fighters and the T-85 is the result of corrupt Republic Pork Belly politics and defense procurement contracting. :v:

The gist I've gotten from the movie and supplemental material so far is "Meet the new Republic, same as the old Republic."

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I mostly just hope that when Kasdan mentioned the script Rian was working on being really weird it wasn't an empty platitude.

Its a fun movie as a setup and contained adventure but I really miss that feeling of mystery and the sense that everything you see is a small part of a much larger world. Obi Wan's line about taking a first step into a larger world is something that stuck with me when thinking about how the setting and environment unfolds in the original movies.

The world in the movie was exciting, but feels very similar to the world we've already been to, so there wasn't much that surprised.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All of you people shocked at Carrie Fischer's audacity to humanly age are assholes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is something the Clone Wars series is amazing with. You can see Obi-Wan/etc. being huge hypocrites all day, being super chivalrous and honorable knights when it's time to talk that then slink out of taking action or actually helping people all the time with legal loopholes and "well a true Jedi wouldn't interfere with..." and it does a great job of planting the seeds of why the Jedi are a bunch of chumps and why anyone in Anakin's position would make the same choices and have the same frustrations. His loyalty to his friends also makes it much easier to buy him as this charismatic character that rises in the ranks quickly and knows that he knows how good he is. Also episodes with a lot of frustration about how the Jedi view the clones and droids as slaves incapable of agency and so on.

They have a couple lines in the films (aggressive negotiations, or Anakin's problems with Obi-Wan's criticism of R2 are brief examples of this) but yeah, they don't really give that stuff time to breathe.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Carrie Fisher is still a goddess at three times the age she was in A New Hope, and I don't see you guys slagging off Very Old Man Harrison Ford.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Speaking of Old-man Han, was I the only one who noticed the severity of the scars on his chin kept changing? I swear they did...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waffles Inc. posted:

More likely it's a 2 hour and fifteen minute movie that feels breathlessly paced. They took out scenes that didn't barrel the story forward at the same breakneck rate.

EDIT: Also, Carrie Fisher is loving awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rick posted:

They have a couple lines in the films (aggressive negotiations, or Anakin's problems with Obi-Wan's criticism of R2 are brief examples of this) but yeah, they don't really give that stuff time to breathe.

Granted I've only seen like the first five episodes of Clone Wars but in them Yoda, Bug faced Mask Jedi guy, Obi Won, and Anakin were all emphasising to the clone troopers that they were individuals and not expendable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Xeremides posted:

That sounds more like a rationalization than a narrative-based reason for only including two kinds of fighters in the film. And hell, if having interceptors was too much of an issue, at least add proper AA to your weak point instead of relying on inferior fighters that just happen to be the equal of whatever the resistance is using.

Oh, I agree with you. Simplifying the fleets seems like a cop out. I guess you can maybe justify the arc from lots of shiny and sleek ships in the PT to rougher looking battered ships in the OT to a whole lot fewer varieties in TFA. After a couple of generations of your best ships becoming scrap you focus on only a few models.

And they don't need proper AA because they have shields and shields never go out.

greatn posted:

All of you people shocked at Carrie Fischer's audacity to humanly age are assholes.

Hey, I love Carrie Fisher. buy she didn't look the part anymore. Most princesses don't look like pre-TFA Carrie Fisher unless they're forest princesses or druids. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of her walking around in public wearing a muumuu. Brando is the only actor who could pull that off and still get work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

She is not a princess, she is a general. :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Hey, I love Carrie Fisher. buy she didn't look the part anymore. Most princesses don't look like pre-TFA Carrie Fisher unless they're forest princesses or druids. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of her walking around in public wearing a muumuu. Brando is the only actor who could pull that off and still get work.

Hey, gently caress you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

She is not a princess, she is a general. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You want them to recast her with Daphne Zuniga?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Wookieepedia says the TIE/fo of the First Order "kept the TIE/LN starfighter design for their fighters, but upgraded the ship to modern combat standards," whatever that means. The new ones are also smaller. The FO's Star Destroyers were also much newer and larger than the Empire equivalent, albeit fewer in number.

Where do you get the impression that the FO's tech isn't uniformly advanced?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

She wasn't asked to look like she did in ANH because she was playing the character 30 years later. Women age, deal with it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shoren posted:

This is such an awful complaint because the entire point of the prequels is to set up the story of the OT. A huge part of that is showing how the Republic fell to the Empire, which is almost entirely a political issue.

This doesn't mean the politics have to be dull, lacking in any relateable protagonist, and then skip large amounts of it to get to space-Venice (which was a few clear plastic instruments away from being a star trek set)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Most princesses haven't been fighting and leading a war against space nazis :colbert:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For anyone who enjoyed the movie or are interested in the development process, I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Star-Wars-Force-Awakens/dp/1419717804/

It's really interesting. It features a ton of concept artwork, divided out in a timeline by each month during the development process. It also includes a fair amount of production information for each month, where they were in the process, what was changed/dropped and what hurdles they faced. Also outlines how some of the main characters changed, like how Finn and Poe both had some drastic differences. "Kira" aka Rey however, seemed to be the same for most of the process.

For those complaining about the "sameness" of the planets, in pre-production they were actually way out there, being more similar to the prequels with some of the locales and vistas. Such that the budget would have either been enormous or had a ton of extended green screen sets like the prequels.

Had set pieces like huge alien bazaars, jungle-like forests with gigantic trees, and the giant mushroom planet Felucia was also going to be visited. The artwork for the Arndt script also appears to use several of the ideas the final script uses, which I found surprising since I thought it was more or less dumped.

Also get some good concept art for the "Jedi Killer" which develops into Kylo Ren. It looks like some of his designs were later used for the Knights of Ren.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Krispy Kareem posted:

What does 'looking the part' mean? Leia Organa aged 30 years, Han Solo aged 30 years, Luke Skywalker aged 30 years. They all look like themselves aged 30 years (plus a car accident in Luke's case, plus a fistful of coke per day in Leia's case and plus 30 years of disdain and misery in Han's case).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Carrie Fisher looked great in this movie. When she first steps off the spaceship she looks the part of the haggard military commander but she still has some regal stature. As von Sydow's character says, "to me, she'll always be royalty."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sorry guys, but women on camera must be under 40 or over 70. A generic Old has no place on the stage unless you can pull a Maggie Smith or the silly grandma from Wedding Singer and Wedding Crashers who has been playing a 90 year old since she was 50.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

If I can look this good at 59, I'll be over the forest moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Beeez posted:

This article might be interesting for some people, Cnut and SMG in particular might like it.

Yeah, but the stuff they've come out with so far is scarcely better than the old EU, from what I've seen of it. And I guess this may make me an irrational fan in some people's eyes, but I think these iconic, nearly forty-year-old characters deserve respect in the official film continuation of the originals. With Obi-Wan, Mon Mothma, and Yoda it was one thing, because those characters may have been former leaders of the old Republic but we knew them in the original trilogy's context first. But Luke and Leia are too indelibly the protagonists of Star Wars to have them totally shunted aside to make way for new blood. I'm not saying those characters should never face any challenges after RotJ, but there's a difference between facing challenges and setbacks, and totally trampling on what they developed into and fought for in the originals.

The movie is about the interaction between the old and new generation, and how the results of the past have shaped the future that the new generation must deal with. Nothing is trampled on. Han and Leia's romance is realized with Kylo (who's actions are influenced by every one of the old generation), Luke stops the Empire and brings substantial peace to the galaxy, creating a new jedi council and living life in a way natural to -his- older generation. Han's entire arc in the film consists of trying to bury his past and accepting that he must face it.

You can like the prequels and not be insane or demand inoffensive mediocrity.

E: Carrie looked amazing considering her past and did a great job. You are uncomfortable with her because you are used to Hollywood pairing 18-25 year old women with 35+ year old men. The sight of Han with a woman his age makes you uncomfortable.

• Locked thread