Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

How does that read bizarrely? loving what?

At first glance "Make a colored mana, only use it on colored spells" does read weirdly, but then you realize the whole block is based on devoid so new players would have had an idea what to do with it and the cool synergy it could have had with Sunburst and well my point is new and old players would have easily understood what the card should say on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone stop me from buying the lands for this dumb Eldrazi deck

Eye of Ugin is currently at $27 mid - that alone should tell you not to invest (even though I feel the deck can get by on 2 Eye of Ugins).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

Eye of Ugin is currently at $27 mid - that alone should tell you not to invest (even though I feel the deck can get by on 2 Eye of Ugins).

Thank you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Balon posted:

Eye of Ugin might not go down. Tron is only getting better in Modern even if this deck isn't a long term thing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This seems maybe very good? I am bad at detecting important cards in this card game.

Seems decent; 2/3 for Vigilance at 2cmc is good value, and late-game is becomes a 4/5, and all with added benefit for any man-lands you run.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

At first glance "Make a colored mana, only use it on colored spells" does read weirdly, but then you realize the whole block is based on devoid so new players would have had an idea what to do with it and the cool synergy it could have had with Sunburst and well my point is new and old players would have easily understood what the card should say on it

If they put "spend this to only cast devoid and colorless spells" it would have been even clear to new players and also work outside of standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bhsman posted:

Seems decent; 2/3 for Vigilance at 2cmc is good value, and late-game is becomes a 4/5, and all with added benefit for any man-lands you run.

I don't think a 2/3 Vigilance for 2 is good enough for standard and a 4/5 Vigilance is pretty meh late game. I like Woodland Wanderer better.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i don't think that eater of the dead spike is real, it's too precise
*soviet spy writes down "641" with golf pencil then opens codebook to "e"*
"Da... da, is good. I am ready."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

""Hm, this card says to use the coloured mana only on colourless spells, in this block where "coloured costs on colourless spells" is a major theme. Why'd they print this, what possible use might it have ugh, I don't get it" ~a new player" ~magic rnd

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Count Bleck posted:

Chandra Preordering at 10 bucks on SCG.

Guess people are that wary of cards with the subtype "Chandra" on them nowadays.

I caved and preordered 4 on magiccardmarket for €27 with shipping back when she was pre-spoiled. Last time I did this was when I saw Khans Sorin at about the same price for preorders.

Rhino is a big deal but for 3 months. And there are plenty of ways to punch it away. Spending 6 mana to clear a raided Wingmate Roc and friends is not great but passable. And if I am wrong and she is garbage forever then it's just £20 for 4 of her.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If they put "spend this to only cast devoid and colorless spells" it would have been even clear to new players and also work outside of standard.

Use this mana only to cast colorless spells (Spells with Devoid are colorless).

There's a dozen ways they could have done it if they really thought Devoid's reminder's text wasn't good enough, but..

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Again I don't think the distinction will ever matter so you might as well go for clarity.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

94% of BFZ packs contain a common with Devoid. If you're opening Corrupted Crossroads, you're almost certainly also opening a Devoid creature in the same pack to give it context.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Again I don't think the distinction will ever matter so you might as well go for clarity.

Like yeah that's true but it still would have been nice just to have the option, and the point i'm making is that in the context of the set it would have been clear just saying colorless

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bonus posted:

Holy poo poo Reality Smasher looks busted. I've been testing that mono black modern eldrazi deck and the deck owns owns owns, it just eats every fair deck up and has a lot of game against a lot of combo decks too. Anyway it looks like it'll be great in that deck. A turn 3 5/5 haste that protects itself, what's not to like

Is that a list for that up somewhere? What's it useing for mana acceleration?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Is that a list for that up somewhere? What's it useing for mana acceleration?

Mostly Eye of Ugin, Eldrazi Temple and Blight Herders.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

:spergin: Sunburst :spergin:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, has there been any word on whether cost-reducer effects reduce them by (1) or by (D)?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Aaron Forsythe
Aaron Forsythe – ‏@mtgaaron
Corrupted Crossroads doesn't say "colorless spells" because that would read too bizarrely. Apologies to the Etched Oracles among you.
11:36 PM - 4 Jan 2016

Sad

We wouldn't want an Eldrazi spell card to be bizarre.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Niton posted:

Use this mana only to cast colorless spells (Spells with Devoid are colorless).

There's a dozen ways they could have done it if they really thought Devoid's reminder's text wasn't good enough, but..

Basically

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

So, has there been any word on whether cost-reducer effects reduce them by (1) or by (D)?

By (1), that's the whole point of differentiating the two, to distinguish between "mana of any color" and "colorless mana".

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 5, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You could be saving for those $110 Scalding Tarns!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Balon posted:

Just wait until we get hybrid colorless mana in the future. Pay G or D, etc

We already have this - it's 2 colorless per color mana though.

Edit: nm, misread. That would be interesting maybe for the next time we visit New Pherexia since Pherexian mana is broken as hell.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 5, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

it's 2 generic per color mana

what they're talking about is prob not gonna happen tho

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Emerson Cod posted:

Edit: nm, misread. That would be interesting maybe for the next time we visit New Pherexia since Pherexian mana is broken as hell.

2 generic :spergin:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mikujin posted:

That said, if Bloom eats a ban I'd wager Goryo's decks will eat a ban, and possible infect. Because, while wildly inconsistent in the same measure, they are the other decks that can pull of T2 wins with infrequent consistency.

I still think infect is safe, since it still plays well with fair decks by being real bad against removal and disruption, whereas the other two love eating fair decks up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mikujin posted:

That said, if Bloom eats a ban I'd wager Goryo's decks will eat a ban, and possible infect. Because, while wildly inconsistent in the same measure, they are the other decks that can pull of T2 wins with infrequent consistency.

Bloom just seems so much more resilient and consistent than those decks, especially when you see someone playing it who knows what they are doing with the deck. The guy who won the SCG this past weekend put on a clinic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I still think infect is safe, since it still plays well with fair decks by being real bad against removal and disruption, whereas the other two love eating fair decks up.

Every deck in the format that's not itself an uninteractive combo deck can at least do something about Infect. Interaction is the bigger problem than simple dominance - the confusion regarding this is why you get a lot of people arguing that "well Bloom Titan doesn't go off on T2 consistently!" with the apparent understanding that "consistently means >50%" which isn't actually a correct understanding.

If Bloom Titan goes off to win the game turns 2 or 3 without any serious possibility of interaction 20% of the time, that's consistent enough to get a target on its back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Devor posted:

Someone is speculating on something that can repeatedly exile for free to enable infinite processor combo?

Boy are the in for a surprise when they read the oracle text!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Can someone start mtgfinance on Thopter Spy Networks, I have like 40 of these things I would like to sell for 20 a piece (or more)

I don't believe that the thing people thinks happens all the time happens all the time. I'd wager a lot more Eye of Ugin's where bought as playsets for people who want to play the new Eldrazi deck than they were people buy 10+ at a time in hopes of flipping for a profit.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mikujin posted:

The point of contention I'd take here is that most of the pros whose judgment you seem to trust either waffle on their opinions - LSV, for example, has said the deck is 'busted' while playing it and going off, and has also commented on how the deck is not strong enough to play because it's too inconsistent while playing against it and winning - or are just huge divas like PVDDR. I think there's a huge gulf in the actual strength of the deck and the perceived strength of the deck. Similarly, Grishoalbrand is another equally strong deck that can go off multiple ways with arguably less complexity, and the pro diva players love it and think it's fine.

What I'm saying here is you can't trust players of any caliber to have unbiased judgment on the level of balance in the game because they have a vested interest in it.

I feel the deck has put up to many results to continue to call it inconsistent. It wins consistently, and seems to have more pre-t4 wins than WOTC wants the format to have.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

I don't believe that the thing people thinks happens all the time happens all the time. I'd wager a lot more Eye of Ugin's where bought as playsets for people who want to play the new Eldrazi deck than they were people buy 10+ at a time in hopes of flipping for a profit.

People always say this but then all of these definitely not speculated on cards never show up being played by people. Especially not in the numbers that are suggested by the price increase

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

It is real fun. It especially messes with people playing snapcaster desk and jund. I played it last FNM and I smashed a guy who loves his homebrew esper delver deck. I cast Oblivion Sower, get 4 lands off the top of his deck, crack Nihil spellbomb and pay B to draw with his swamp, draw Wasteland Strangler (had Eye of Ugin in play) crack his polluted delta to get a swamp out of my deck, Strangler his Delver. He was a touch salty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

It is real fun. It especially messes with people playing snapcaster desk and jund. I played it last FNM and I smashed a guy who loves his homebrew esper delver deck. I cast Oblivion Sower, get 4 lands off the top of his deck, crack Nihil spellbomb and pay B to draw with his swamp, draw Wasteland Strangler (had Eye of Ugin in play) crack his polluted delta to get a swamp out of my deck, Strangler his Delver. He was a touch salty.

I don't know why anyone plays interactive decks in modern...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I feel the deck has put up to many results to continue to call it inconsistent. It wins consistently, and seems to have more pre-t4 wins than WOTC wants the format to have.

A lot of the defenses of the deck come from spectators being laser-focused on whether it violates the "turn 4" rule as opposed to any other consideration about the metagame and what the deck does to it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

People always say this but then all of these definitely not speculated on cards never show up being played by people. Especially not in the numbers that are suggested by the price increase

This is such a silly thought. How do you determine where the cards are? How do you know they aren't being played? I know of at least 3 other people aside from myself building the deck at my local shop. YMMV but I see new deck get popular, see people in my store building it, read about the MTGmarket Illuminati, and scratch my head. People just build decks man. I've seen people building that stupid Narset combo deck, Grishoalbrand, and so forth. Want to know why Goryo's Vengeance is $15-20? Its because people build that poo poo and don't flip it, even if they aren't playing it. They build the flavor of the month, add it to their collection and sit on it.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Someone post the mono black eldrazi list. I'm phone posting

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

A lot of the defenses of the deck come from spectators being laser-focused on whether it violates the "turn 4" rule as opposed to any other consideration about the metagame and what the deck does to it.

I think the only issue with the deck is how good summer bloom is at letting it combo off early. The deck isn't dead without Summer Bloom unless winning on t2 or 3 is crucial to the deck, which if that is the case then there is something wrong with how often it wins before t4 right? I think the argument against banning summer bloom is flawed because either the deck will be fine if its a little slower but still consistent, or summer bloom making it explosive is why its good.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

You mean in big events or at all? I've definitely bought a bunch of cards online just for poo poo like Game Day and FNM.

:can: So I can't cast Ghostfire with Corrupted Crossroads for red yet, right? Hopefully they errata that soon.

(oh wait, looks like they won't: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/130173159803/why-not-simply-reprint-ghostfire-with-devoid)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

edit: double. Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Someone post the mono black eldrazi list. I'm phone posting

This is pretty much it but it's BW.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=97028

• Locked thread