Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Done, thanks for the thumbnail suggestion!

also sharp eye, I love my btzs hood. I previously used a made in China one. It had this horrific chemical smell of plastic that could never wash off. The hood is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria degli Uffizi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I like this!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

I like this!

Thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

evilspoon21 posted:

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here. I set up a vintage photo booth at a flea market, you can check out the pictures above! It uses direct positive photo paper that I shoot and develop on the spot.

Also, I have other film photos I have posted on my website. I urge you to check them out.

https://andrewyuen.carbonmade.com/projects/5838519

I really like some of the images in this 4x5 thread. Most actually. But the forum format is a bit of a pain.

What brand of direct positive paper, and what kind of exposure are you using? I've tried some, and never had any success getting usable photos. When my photos weren't massively underexposed (metering for about ISO 3) they were still unusably high contrast.

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Hi,

I`m using Harman Direct Positive Paper. I can't comment about the high contrast thing, I use it only in conjunction with a speedlight. You can sort of see my setup in the photo i`ve posted, I`m using a flash sync cable at f/6.3 @ with a 430 EXii at full power and full zoom at about 0.5m away from the subject. Development wise, I developed in Ilford Paper dev at the recommended times for FB paper. 2 mins plus.

I don't have any experience using it in daylight, I would assume due to its dramatically low ISO it would be a crapshoot if a scene is already contrasty to begin with. Perhaps you could try shooting in diffused lighting. There's a new Galaxy photo paper coming out though, that should be less finicky to use.

Cheers

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Well, that example you posted is definitely high contrast. I've heard of people preflashing the paper in a darkroom to reduce the contrast. Also, it's worth pointing the Galaxy photo paper is just regular photo paper - unlike the Ilford stuff, you need reversal chemistry to use it as a positive. They've been pretty shady about obfuscating this fact, leading to the only time I've canceled a Kickstarter pledge.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
That's exactly why I cancelled my Galaxy paper pledge too.

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that the Galaxy paper ended up being like that as well.

I've gone through a few boxes of Harman Direct Positive shooting landscapes and, yeah, it's a finicky bitch. It's extremely contrasty, the iso changes radically depending on what type of light you're under, and it's just a general pain in the rear end to use. But in those few cases where I managed to do everything right, the results are spectacular. For landscapes I recommend shooting on overcast days to begin controlling the contrast (it's orthochromatic so the sky will render pure white except under the darkest clouds) and, as MrBlandAverage mentioned, flash the paper with diffuse light. You can do this either before or after exposure. I flash my paper immediately before developing. Flashing can ruin your blacks by raising them too much if you're not careful, though. My workflow with the Harman paper is to make two identical exposures of the scene; then in my "darkroom" I would flash one for 5 seconds (7w frosted bulb bounced off the ceiling), develop it, and check the print. If 5 seconds of flash raised the blacks too high, I would flash the second exposure for 4 seconds before development. Likewise, if 5 seconds wasn't enough I would do 6 seconds for the second sheet. But even with flashing the paper either pre or post-exposure, you're still only looking at a range of 2-3 stops of usable exposure. So if you're using the zone system, put everything with important detail on zone IV to VI, and since it's positive paper err on the side of underexposure and pre/post-flash to fill in the shadows.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does the Harman direct positive paper respond differently to long and short exposures? Long meaning 1 second up, and short being like 1/15 or faster.
My massively underexposed results were all on fast exposures, about 1/30 with the Speed Graphic curtain shutter.

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

nielsm posted:

Does the Harman direct positive paper respond differently to long and short exposures? Long meaning 1 second up, and short being like 1/15 or faster.
My massively underexposed results were all on fast exposures, about 1/30 with the Speed Graphic curtain shutter.

I can't say for sure, as all my exposures with it have been in the seconds-to-minutes range. Are you flashing your paper at all? I've read elsewhere that the rated iso of 3 is assuming you flash the paper; it's closer to iso 1.5 without. If you're not flashing the paper, that could have something to do with it. But you say it's only happening with shorter shutter times? Maybe the shutter is off? There's really so many variables that seem to affect HDPP that all you can do is just shoot a poo poo-ton of it and learn how it responds to them. If you're consistently underexposing when your meter says 1/30, then perhaps try 1/20 in those situations instead. Like I mentioned, this stuff is finicky and a lot of things that make sense and we take for granted when shooting film or digital seem to go out the door when using it.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Corruption is why we WIN !!
same roll as the other shot of the pears, portra 160

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^ I like the vibe of this one and the previous ones that you've been posting.

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Yup, agree with the contrasty properties of the Harman Paper. This one I photographed of myself kept it's tonality pretty well though. I`ve never seen the direct positive thing as anything more than a novelty. I use it so that I can develop a print for a stranger on the spot, which is only achievable practically through this process. ( Other than polaroid. )

I do shoot other stuff such as C41 and E6 photos, which are the ones posted below:

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

alkanphel posted:

^ I like the vibe of this one and the previous ones that you've been posting.

thanks, always been a fan of your abstract compositional non-scape-y things.

2015 was the year I finally finished acquiring all the right stuff, 2016 thus shall be the year of producing things and revisiting old shots that I was dissatisfied with and making them satisfying.
also, hopefully, getting some useful feedback as I don't have art friends who are as technical as I am, or photographers really.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Lopi by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

dat texture

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

edit: ektar 100

fail son rebate fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 8, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I dig it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Someone tell me why I shouldn't get a GW690. Besides the fact that I'll run through film faster.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Someone tell me why I shouldn't get a GW690. Besides the fact that I'll run through film faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Buy one and shoot a little less. I love mine.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I do not regret getting mine.

nop
Mar 31, 2010
I need to shoot with mine more. But I don't regret it in the slightest. Hell shooting less is more a bonus. I don't often shoot that many frames, and this way it's less likely there's half a roll of unshot film sitting in my camera for several months...

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Dusted off my Bronica. Fun but a bit large camera. I guess mirrors take up a bit of space.

Untitled by Maciej, on Flickr

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

Starting to get a handle on this Delta stuff.

fail son rebate
Apr 10, 2007

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC2417 by Maciej, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
:getin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nice mortar shell.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That70sShirt posted:

Starting to get a handle on this Delta stuff.

Have you given Delta 3200 a try yet? I love that stuff.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nice watermark, was gonna steal it but now I realize I can't

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

Fantasic Username/Post combo.

Pukestain Pal posted:

Have you given Delta 3200 a try yet? I love that stuff.

I think I did a long, long time ago on 35mm. But these days 99% of what I shoot is landscapes and 100% of the time it's on a tripod, so slower films work fine for me. I don't think Delta 3200 is available in LF anyway.

ansel autisms posted:

If you're referring to my photo, the watermark isn't there to stop people from stealing it. But it does provide a curious viewer a way to find my website.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

here you go friend

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

That'll be $2,500 to $25,000 plus attorney's fees, please. :homebrew:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That70sShirt posted:

I think I did a long, long time ago on 35mm. But these days 99% of what I shoot is landscapes and 100% of the time it's on a tripod, so slower films work fine for me. I don't think Delta 3200 is available in LF anyway.

On MF it's great.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I tried typing "D H------" into my browser but nothing came up

seriouspost: It's a cool photo but watermarks always detract from the image imo, they're either distracting or break up the image in a weird way or in this case make the foreground seem uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

crap nerd posted:

seriouspost: It's a cool photo but watermarks always detract from the image imo, they're either distracting or break up the image in a weird way or in this case make the foreground seem uneven.

I agree completely, but they are beneficial on the internet in helping someone identify the creator of an image. I've gotten paying work because people have tracked me down from my watermark. I do realize that my opinion of them is vastly different than the majority of the Dorkroom, however, so I'm going to shut up about it now and just back away slowly.

• Locked thread