Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Build a wall around Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I was under the assumption that for the majority of the country's history, the 2nd amendment was not interpreted as "free guns for all".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

McDowell posted:

Build a wall around Texas.

Nuke Texas and take their oil IMO.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Luigi Thirty posted:

*dances into thread* Lumping the mentally ill in with mass murderers doesn't help reduce the stigma against seeking diagnosis or treatment. This might be counterproductive. *dances out of thread*

Mass murderers are pretty universally mentally ill though? I mean, they should probably be more specific in the messaging as to what sort of mental illness needs to be looked into for gun purchase issues, but you need to start somewhere. Schools and parents need to be more alert for issues and warning signs so that these things can be handled before they become a real problem.

For example, I probably should not have had access to firearms until my own issues were treated as, hell at some points I was a bad week away (or in one incident a phone call away) from a Columbine reenactment and/or suicide by shotgun. That feeling of isolation, of hopelessness and that everyone is laughing at you behind your back is soul crushing. Add getting bullied to that, and you've got a time bomb if not properly treated. We need that focus on mental health to show just how serious a problem it can become. It can save your life, and the lives of others to get treated.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

Here's his actual statement:

What's the case law on that clause, by the way? Why does it seem to be completely ignored in American jurisprudence?
Much like how many Christians have convinced themselves of the apocryphal story that a camel going through the eye of a needle was actually a fairly easily achieved accomplishment due to the "needle" being a city gate or some other bullshit, there has been a willful decision by many over the past two centuries to re-translate the plain language of "well regulated militia" to mean "each individual citizen". Enough of these self-deluded jackasses were judges, leading to problems because our judicial system commonly defers to precedent when interpreting what certain legal language means.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I know what you guys think because I think it as well, I was wondering what cases gave primacy to "shall not be infringed" over "well regulated militia".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

I wanna throw a stick in the spokes of Greg Abbot's dumb wheelchair

He's genuine poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One of the concerns of the states during ratifying conventions was that the establishment of a federal army would mean that their militias would get conscripted by the central government and sent to fight conflicts on the other side of the country. If you're living in Georgia in 1789, which is still 80% controlled by the Native Americans, you might be understandably worried that your only defensive force could be sent to Maine for years at a time. Hence the need to enshrine state control of militias and gun ownership in the constitution.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

One of the concerns of the states during ratifying conventions was that the establishment of a federal army would mean that their militias would get conscripted by the central government and sent to fight conflicts on the other side of the country. If you're living in Georgia in 1789, which is still 80% controlled by the Native Americans, you might be understandably worried that your only defensive force could be sent to Maine for years at a time. Hence the need to enshrine state control of militias and gun ownership in the constitution.

Also slave societies have slave rebellions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

Also slave societies have slave rebellions.

True, but from what I've read, that didn't come up at the ratifying conventions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Inferior Third Season posted:

Much like how many Christians have convinced themselves of the apocryphal story that a camel going through the eye of a needle was actually a fairly easily achieved accomplishment due to the "needle" being a city gate or some other bullshit, there has been a willful decision by many over the past two centuries to re-translate the plain language of "well regulated militia" to mean "each individual citizen". Enough of these self-deluded jackasses were judges, leading to problems because our judicial system commonly defers to precedent when interpreting what certain legal language means.

Have you seen me play counter strike, bro? I am a well regulated militia.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah I know what you guys think because I think it as well, I was wondering what cases gave primacy to "shall not be infringed" over "well regulated militia".
The big one is D.C. vs Heller.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Logikv9 posted:

I was under the assumption that for the majority of the country's history, the 2nd amendment was not interpreted as "free guns for all".
Well, yeah, I mean some of those people are black.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is looking to be a good EO. Can't wait to see people rage about things they support.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

zoux posted:

Ugh we're never going to be free of Romneys or Bushes are we.

He'll stare his problems away.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Mass murderers are pretty universally mentally ill though? I mean, they should probably be more specific in the messaging as to what sort of mental illness needs to be looked into for gun purchase issues, but you need to start somewhere. Schools and parents need to be more alert for issues and warning signs so that these things can be handled before they become a real problem.

For example, I probably should not have had access to firearms until my own issues were treated as, hell at some points I was a bad week away (or in one incident a phone call away) from a Columbine reenactment and/or suicide by shotgun. That feeling of isolation, of hopelessness and that everyone is laughing at you behind your back is soul crushing. Add getting bullied to that, and you've got a time bomb if not properly treated. We need that focus on mental health to show just how serious a problem it can become. It can save your life, and the lives of others to get treated.

Mass murderers are typically radicalized white people, which isn't the same as somebody who isn't taking their schizophrenia meds. They're called mentally ill for the same reason the Oregon dorks are called protesters

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TheDisreputableDog posted:

"If we can save the life of just one child, we have to do it!"

*wipes tear away after photo shoot outside abortion clinic, goes back to Congress and sponsors bill cutting food stamps and medical care for poor children*
FTFY

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

zoux posted:

The argument, which I am not particularly interested in defending, is that "well regulated" had more the meaning of "working right" than "working pursuant to codified rules". Thus the phrasing being about knowing that when you muster up the militia they'll be able to function like a militia (that is, know how to shoot). This is the view that Scalia took in Heller.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If Congress attempts to impeach him over this, he will have hosed up and he should have gone full gun ban.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The modern gun rights movement took off after some sort of Cincinnati putsch, which I think was years or even decades earlier than Heller in 2008. Surely there was case law on this prior to that?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nonsense posted:

If Congress attempts to impeach him over this, he will have hosed up and he should have gone full gun ban.

I was about to say "Surely they know they wouldn't have enough of the vote" but then I realized that they don't care.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Obama: I'm not trying to take everyone's guns.

Supposedly from the Cruz campaign:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Obama took all of my guns just now and I'm on the train car to the FEMA camp and I have to get gay married and Facebook is charging me a monthly fee.

Guns are now illegal. The gun police came to confiscate my guns today, I them I was a criminal, they let me keep my guns. Welcome to Obama's America.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Today in History

Nixon: Shuttle's fine.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zoux posted:

The modern gun rights movement took off after some sort of Cincinnati putsch, which I think was years or even decades earlier than Heller in 2008. Surely there was case law on this prior to that?
Sure, there has been lots. There are lots of good links on the "Heller" and "2nd amendment" wikipedia pages (please don't take this as a dismissive LMGTFY).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I do like how the Canadian BNA act realized what a dumb loving idea this was and had the federal government have the residual powers.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Lyapunov Unstable posted:

What a bunch of loving cowards, nobody would know they "occupied" that place for months if they didn't tell anybody.

This is about 1/2 step up from invading a back-country camp site.

I smell a goon project: get #OccupyOffseason trending. :v:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Space Pegasus.

Jesus Christ.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Lacks excitement? Should've called it the Space Jeb!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Some options are :patriot: SPACE CLIPPER :patriot: and do you really want me to list more options?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

crazy cloud posted:

Space Pegasus.

Jesus Christ.
The Pegasus Challenger Disaster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's written on parchment, Odumbass.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Obama should release a video of him opening the Constitution's display case and touching it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I think Starlighter is a great name for a motel on the edge of town. I can already see the big asymmetrical sign and the 50s font.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Obama should release a video of him opening the Constitution's display case and touching it.

And then looking at the back of it, turning to the camera, and saying, "Now I know where the treasure is :smug:"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

SedanChair posted:

with his dick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the things that irritates me the most are smug right wing twitter pundits acting like a man who taught con law at the U of Chicago doesn't know poo poo about the constitution.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I think Starlighter is a great name for a motel on the edge of town. I can already see the big asymmetrical sign and the 50s font.

I first read starlighter as starlifter and thought that would be a decent name since the shuttle was basically a space faring pickup truck.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

After having seen Hateful Eight this won't stop being hilarious... and what he should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Put the Consitituon on the ground on a basketball court and have Biden iPhone slow-mo video Obama dunking over it repeatedly

• Locked thread