Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

randombattle posted:

I'm never fighting another high ranked phasema team. loving bonus attacks out the rear end.

I've been up against 2 Phasma teams back to back in GW before. Many bench warmers lost their lives that day. Killing Phasma then resetting is the best way I've found to monkey wrench that poo poo, but it's not easy.

Having been on the other side of it, I'm now working on a Phasma proc team. I'm thinking I can use the ai's retarded RNG hacks to pull some really crazy poo poo, and hopefully it'll help maintain my rank better than my cookie cutter Sid (lead) Jawa/JC/Lumi/Daka team does.

My Jawa procs speed down and does an extra 35% to debuffed targets. Sid's heal debuff is a thing, and I've left off the aoe upgrade that lowers the cooldown because gently caress that attack. Daka is a no-brainer, and even at only 5* she's out speeding all my opponents, which is awesome. For the last spot I'm using Lumi, as the team lacks heals, and her evasion buff should be on permanently with this setup. Long term I'd like to move Luke into one of the slots, most likely the Jawa,but it'll be a minute since I just started farming for him. If only Leia were farmable....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Anyone build a full FO team?

Phasma
Kylo Ren
FO pilot
FO officer
FO trooper

Seems really tempting.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
Kind of miffed that I started playing this the day after they stopped giving away Phasma, but beyond that is a fun little time-waster.

Ally code is 544-742-193. Already added some people starting from the beginning of the thread (your level 50+ level dudes have been appreciated).
Also, if anyone also plays Seven Knights I just started playing that too. So if anyone needs/wants a friend my in-game name is Syrious.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
What are people spending their currency on? My Arena Tokens go towards Sid, but otherwise I don't spend much except credits. Are ally points only used to buy Bronzium? What about Crystals, Cantina Credits and Sim tickets? Any "optimal" way to spend them?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

What are people spending their currency on? My Arena Tokens go towards Sid, but otherwise I don't spend much except credits. Are ally points only used to buy Bronzium? What about Crystals, Cantina Credits and Sim tickets? Any "optimal" way to spend them?

Ally points are for Bronzium only.
Cantina Credits are best used on Old Daka at first, then whatever you want.
Sim tickets are, IMO, best used on Cantina missions because they're long. Otherwise, use them for gathering gear from regular missions unless they're way below your level and you have time to sit there while you auto-clear it.
Other than straight pulls, a common way to use Crystals is to get stamina refills once or twice a day. Buying regular stamina costs 50 Crystals the first two times per day, and includes the sim tickets to spend it with, as well. If you have some excess Crystals and don't feel like pulling for a rare, a Cantina stamina refill is definitely worth it because you get Cantina credits as well as shards from whatever character drops there AND skill mats.

In my case, I unlocked a bunch of cheap characters that I probably won't use very soon. It seemed to pay off, though, because thanks to the cheevos for getting X number of Light / Dark characters, I only just hit Level 60 today and I should have Darth Vader by tomorrow night!

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 5, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Man, getting rid of the daily gems is really loving painful for my rotation. I felt like a $5 weekly donation to the game as long as I played was pretty generous already, but it feels like they wanted to really reel you in before slapping you down again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

New Leaf posted:

Man, getting rid of the daily gems is really loving painful for my rotation. I felt like a $5 weekly donation to the game as long as I played was pretty generous already, but it feels like they wanted to really reel you in before slapping you down again.

The P2W is really strong with this game. i don't mind dropping 5 bucks here or there but the game is really stingy in general and packs are very lean. I spent some play store credits up front but I wont do it again, it's not worth it unless you really want to whale hard.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

New Leaf posted:

It's EA. They will make you spend the $20 for half as many gems.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I would rather grind Luke than Chewie. JC is probably better to grind than Luke but that extra cost bugs me.

Luke loving owns, I can attest. Swapping him in for the Jawa turned my team around.

Listen to rabidsquid, he knows what he's talking about.

Levantine posted:

The P2W is really strong with this game. i don't mind dropping 5 bucks here or there but the game is really stingy in general and packs are very lean. I spent some play store credits up front but I wont do it again, it's not worth it unless you really want to whale hard.

I spent a bunch of free money I got from a dumb work thing buying Chromium packs.

I got some cool poo poo, but ultimately? It didn't help me at all, as the best meta right now revolves around poo poo you can farm. Unless you luck into a free Palpatine or Old Daka, you're pretty much wasting money. The story could be different after they change-up what's in the arena/GW shipments and balance the game next month.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 5, 2016

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

I spent a bunch of free money I got from a dumb work thing buying Chromium packs.

I got some cool poo poo, but ultimately? It didn't help me at all, as the best meta right now revolves around poo poo you can farm. Unless you luck into a free Palpatine or Old Daka, you're pretty much wasting money. The story could be different after they change-up what's in the arena/GW shipments and balance the game next month.

Yeah, packs are fun, but almost a total waste of money. Refreshes are far better use of funds.

Also, I'm convinced that evasion leaders are the best for Arena, at least on defense. Attacking someone who has Dooku as their leader, with his 14% or so evasion, is just obnoxious. They dodge everything, given the AI proc boost. I'll attack 50 Phasmas before I attack a single Dooku.

commish fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 5, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The overall "best" pull I had from Chromium was 2* Kit Fisto. Geared up and leveled appropriately, he can go toe to toe with 5*'s due to his massive health pool. He'd be amazing if he had a taunt. Granted, he doesn't do as much damage and his AoE is of limited usefulness, but he's easily the best pull I've seen, for whatever that's worth.I really hope his shards make it into the Arena or GW.

EDIT: also, how is Lumi not considered a healer? I hate I can't use her for the Agi challenge.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 5, 2016

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Is there a skill tree list anywhere online? Trying to decide where to put my ability materials.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Munkaboo posted:

Is there a skill tree list anywhere online? Trying to decide where to put my ability materials.

http://www.swgohcantina.com/hero-stats/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Packs need to give more shards to be worthwhile. Or lower the shard count for premium-only characters.

The difference between 4 star and 6 is too big, so free farmable characters are going to be the best for a long time. A 6 star Qui-Gon is probably the loving Apocalypse but it would cost you like $500.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
They monetized this game right out of alot of peoples hands, but then again, I feel like anyone who played this for a week or two ends up throwing 20 bucks at it for shits...

They know they're sitting on a gold mine.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Games like this don't make their money off of hitting the magic price point to get casual players to buy a pack or two. They make such insane amounts of money off whales that whether the individual dude is going to spend $5 a week or $0 a week is of no real consequence to them.

That said, I've only bought the Dooku starter and the week of gems and don't plan on buying anything else unless it's crazy good or crazy cheap.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

This game is the #11th ranked app in the app store in terms of revenue generated. This game is making an insane amount of money, so I think they have monetized the game perfectly (for them). For us, it's pretty bad until you realize that packs are a waste of money. If you just spend crystals on refreshes, it's actually not nearly as bad as many other games. I'm really hoping they introduce more character packs because I'd be more likely to spend money on those than anything.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I know puzzles and dragons did 7 million a day during each godfest and that was 2013. Also Activision bought King for more money than Disney bought star wars

Zotix fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 5, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's no Kimoji though.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Zotix posted:

I know puzzles and dragons did 7 million a day during each godfest and that was 2013.

Yes and the problem with PAD was that you basically needed certain characters to efficiently do
Certain levels/bosses. So annoying and expensive.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

commish posted:

Yes and the problem with PAD was that you basically needed certain characters to efficiently do
Certain levels/bosses. So annoying and expensive.

PAD throws stones at you, though. I roll 2-3 times in each and every god fest. I've only spent 10 bucks on the game.

The real trick to PAD was to remake your account over and over and over again in the beginning, until the first thing you rolled was like a Horus or w/e. I did this. It took me a week before I could actually play the game, but it proved to be the single best investment, as I'm now level 300+ with a 400+ monster stable and I've never seen another Horus. Point is, you can play PAD without paying a dime, if you're just playing for a few minutes every day.

I've beaten nearly every descended dungeon with either Horus or Athena (which I couldn't have gotten without Horus).

Sorry for the PAD chat.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Almost to Lv37.

Will suck dick for Mk V Loronar Power Cells.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

overdesigned posted:

Almost to Lv37.

Will suck dick for Mk V Loronar Power Cells.

I just hit 50 and I have sucked so many dicks in the hopes to finding gears upgrades.

So

Many

Dicks.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

PAD throws stones at you, though. I roll 2-3 times in each and every god fest. I've only spent 10 bucks on the game.

The real trick to PAD was to remake your account over and over and over again in the beginning, until the first thing you rolled was like a Horus or w/e. I did this. It took me a week before I could actually play the game, but it proved to be the single best investment, as I'm now level 300+ with a 400+ monster stable and I've never seen another Horus. Point is, you can play PAD without paying a dime, if you're just playing for a few minutes every day.

I've beaten nearly every descended dungeon with either Horus or Athena (which I couldn't have gotten without Horus).

Sorry for the PAD chat.

Yeah, I started when PAD launched, so I rerolled until I got a Green Odin (at the time, a pretty boss character). And you're right, they are very generous when it comes to giving freebies (GOH needs to do a much better job at this), but after a point, I felt like I was being hindered too much by not having certain characters. For example, you said you needed a Horus to beat Athena - well, I never had a Horus, so I'd have been screwed. Some bosses just needed a few other efficient paths to winning (other than throwing stones at it). Who knows, maybe it's better now. I retired. Really enjoyed my time with it though.

Back to GOH: I hope they introduce a new PvP system so I don't get knocked down repeatedly right before 6 pm. Trying to finish in the top 5/10 is almost not worth it because of how much effort it can take. I also hope we get some benefit from defensive wins. Maybe 10 arena points for each win you get on defense.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

commish posted:

Back to GOH: I hope they introduce a new PvP system so I don't get knocked down repeatedly right before 6 pm. Trying to finish in the top 5/10 is almost not worth it because of how much effort it can take. I also hope we get some benefit from defensive wins. Maybe 10 arena points for each win you get on defense.

They're working on it. Abusing RNG with a Phasma backed up by Daka + dps will help maintain rank on defense, I think. Less healers are actually better given how the ai will burn turns and cooldowns trying to heal people with healing immunity.

Also, this happened to me today:

I've never finished higher than about 30ish, but never bought quicker arena fights, either.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 6, 2016

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013

Mooktastical posted:

Replace Talia, but not with Ima Gun Di. You want more pure dps to round out your LS team, because it's generally overburdened with tanks and healers. Sidious eats all Jedi teams in pvp, and everyone uses him.

Keep your Poe, Jawa, and JC. Try to keep Chewie just leveled enough that he can reliably tank, but start looking to get rid of him in the mid to late 40's. If you want to add an LS, get either Luke or Resistance Trooper. You're going to end up with 2-4 healers on LS battles, especially if you make JC a priority, so tankiness only matters enough to keep them from being taken out before they can be healed.

Plus, there's a balance update coming after the level cap increase this month. That means the current meta is probably going to be flipped on it's head, so I'd hold off on leveling anyone that isn't already over used from scratch until you know what'll be good then.

Sweet! Got lucky with pulls again and got IG-86 1*. That's good enough to replace Talia until I get Luke right?

Is it worth grinding shards for IG?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

planedriver posted:

Sweet! Got lucky with pulls again and got IG-86 1*. That's good enough to replace Talia until I get Luke right?

I would leave your team as is for now. IG is just a lovely Sid, imo, unless you're running an all droid team. Grind Luke/Daka in Cantina, Sid in Arena, Lumi in GW, and use regular energy for gear and to focus on your main 'goal' character.

Edit:IG-88 is the off brand Sid. I still would focus on other characters, especially given he comes in only at 1*.

VVVAlso, what he said. VVV

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 6, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

planedriver posted:

IG-86 is good and powerful, but he's slow and won't be part of that all-too-important initial salvo.

I'd just stick with Talia. Definitely get the IG-86 up in the 30-40 range and gear level IV, because he's useful in the attacker challenge, and helluva B-teamer for GW.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

They're working on it. Abusing RNG with a Phasma backed up by Daka + dps will help maintain rank on defense, I think. Less healers are actually better given how the ai will burn turns and cooldowns trying to heal people with healing immunity.

Also, this happened to me today:

I've never finished higher than about 30ish, but never bought quicker arena fights, either.

Can confirm that Phasma and Daka pretty much secure Arena. I've never placed lower than 20 and I managed to secure second place yesterday when Daka's stuns kept proccing.

Given that the guys around me were at least 5 ranks higher and I got a bunch of friend invites from them later, I assume that the def buff really screwed them over.

Luminara seems to be the highest rated character but I think Daka does arena better. She can heal, revive, buff on revive and most importantly, stun up to two people on her normal attack. Add a character that grants additional attacks and you can pretty much take out a higher arena team.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Think I'm going to take tomorrow off from farming gear to do some hards. I think I can unlock Vadar and would like a dark side attacker.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

Can confirm that Phasma and Daka pretty much secure Arena. I've never placed lower than 20 and I managed to secure second place yesterday when Daka's stuns kept proccing.

Just got sub50 today! And just unlocked Daka. Time to griiiind.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So is it generally worth it to pay crystals to reset the timers on stages? I've maxed out all my runs on all the characters I'm farming, so I've got nothing to do for the rest of the day. I'd really like to get some more shards, but the cost seems way too high.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Canemacar posted:

So is it generally worth it to pay crystals to reset the timers on stages? I've maxed out all my runs on all the characters I'm farming, so I've got nothing to do for the rest of the day. I'd really like to get some more shards, but the cost seems way too high.

It's a roulette and generally seems bad. I've done it before but think of it this way. Shipment is 50 crystal per shard. You could do 50 crystal reset plus 36 energy and get on average one. Maybe none.

That said if I'm really farming someone I do grab their shipment since it can the days off the time in the long run. and the point of crystals is a time advantage.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

farm gear-ups instead, man.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I actually think Fives looks kind of interesting too and he would more or less be a straight upgrade to Biggs but I can't justify spending the shipments on him when I need Old Daka so much. Once I get her maybe I'll detour and pick him up. It won't slow me down THAT much I guess?

edit: It just feels like my Cantina shipments come so slowly, even with buying a recharge every day I am not getting 400 points that quickly.
Cantina energy regens at 1/12 minutes, or 120/day (10 every 2 hours vs. 10 every hour for regular energy). If you buy one recharge, that's 240 total. You get either 13/8 or 17/10 currency/energy, so either 390 or 408 - about one shipment a day if you are recharging. If you consider 4 stars "entry level" to your team it takes 16 days to buy a character to that level from shipments alone - a bit less while you're leveling and getting bonus cantina energy from that, and if you do Daka's mission every day you'll probably shave 2 or 3 days off that.

Does Biggs give the crit bonus to the assisting champion or to himself? The phrasing on that ability is not very clear.

edit: I was trying to test the Biggs thing in Bounty challenge, had Barriss/Biggs/Chewie. Cad stuns Barriss, I use Biggs' assist ability, and no second character attacks. Do stunned characters get "picked" to assist, but aren't actually able to attack?

kaschei fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 6, 2016

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Given that the guys around me were at least 5 ranks higher and I got a bunch of friend invites from them later, I assume that the def buff really screwed them over.

Luminara seems to be the highest rated character but I think Daka does arena better. She can heal, revive, buff on revive and most importantly, stun up to two people on her normal attack. Add a character that grants additional attacks and you can pretty much take out a higher arena team.

Agreed on all counts. Phasma+Daka+Sid + Luke/R Trooper/FO Pilot/Jawa + Lumi/Barriss seems to be the top tier until the pseudo xpac comes out later this month, maybe even longer.

kaschei posted:

edit: I was trying to test the Biggs thing in Bounty challenge, had Barriss/Biggs/Chewie. Cad stuns Barriss, I use Biggs' assist ability, and no second character attacks. Do stunned characters get "picked" to assist, but aren't actually able to attack?

I can't say that I've ever seen a bonus attack signifier pop up on a stunned character. I think Dooku will pop up with his counter attack message, even when he's stunned and can't actually do anything. It would then follow that they can't get picked, but they could be getting picked and the hud just not be showing it.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 6, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Agreed on all counts. Phasma+Daka+Sid + Luke/R Trooper/FO Pilot/Jawa + Lumi/Barriss seems to be the top tier until the pseudo xpac comes out later this month, maybe even longer.

I've been doing phasma daka Sid Ren Lum to great success. Currently 4th with 1-3 stupid thing like 7 star qui gon

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Hughlander posted:

I've been doing phasma daka Sid Ren Lum to great success. Currently 4th with 1-3 stupid thing like 7 star qui gon

That last slot is great for any glass cannon, really. With so many juicy targets, and Daka's drat rez, they don't even need to live through the whole match to be ridiculously effective.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

My needs to get poo poo done team is Phasma leader, Sid, Lumi, Dooku, Daka. I'm still working on getting Phasmas skills up to snuff and it already just wrecks poo poo. So much control over the enemy, two forms of healing, and pretty good damage. I'll have Daka 6* in 3h, and Dooku 5* in a couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Zotix posted:

My needs to get poo poo done team is Phasma leader, Sid, Lumi, Dooku, Daka. I'm still working on getting Phasmas skills up to snuff and it already just wrecks poo poo. So much control over the enemy, two forms of healing, and pretty good damage. I'll have Daka 6* in 3h, and Dooku 5* in a couple of days.

I was still f2p when the Dooku pack left the shop. :(

My Daka is 65 shards behind yours. I made a couple missteps in the 40's, including buying Jedi Guardian in the Cantina shop until she got to 3*, since she was one of my first bronzium pulls.

Splitting GW shards between my 6* Lumi and 5* Phasma is a pain in the dick. It's a good thing they're implementing a shard exchange 'soon', 'cause papa Sidious is almost finished.

• Locked thread