Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Let me inflict a little of this book on the thread. The portion quoted comes fairly deep in, after a long time is spent examining not only the Liberal credentials of those quoted, but also investigating whether such statements could be put down to personal hypocrisy (being obviously incompatible with any notion of human dignity) or if they were integral to Liberal thought.

The author also spends a lot of time on dissenting contemporaries, proving absolutely that such attitudes were not simply an inevitable product of their time.

It's a seriously good book but very, very depressing.
If their goal was to limit population growth, the evidence of the past 200 years shows that they loving sucked at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ Christ almighty (Edit: aimed at Ober's crazy book)

Gonzo McFee posted:

Aye I hosed it with that post. Reading comprehension no so good.

But they are pig fuckers. That much is true.

Happens to the best of us. But your post has reminded me to ask - what's the story behind your avatar? Who's the guy on the left and who (what?) is on the right? :)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to guess that it was something to do with shaking your head for 'no thanks' on ScotRef. There was a phase in ScotPol of buying people avatars for the opposite of their position.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

Let me inflict a little of this book on the thread. The portion quoted comes fairly deep in, after a long time is spent examining not only the Liberal credentials of those quoted, but also investigating whether such statements could be put down to personal hypocrisy (being obviously incompatible with any notion of human dignity) or if they were integral to Liberal thought.

The author also spends a lot of time on dissenting contemporaries, proving absolutely that such attitudes were not simply an inevitable product of their time.

I never realised the Island of Doctor Moreau was intended as aspiration rather than horror novel. The more you know.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That would be Terry Funk, greatest living Texan. And on the Right that would be Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert being accurately portrayed by a horses rear end.

https://youtu.be/B8g19YbAcCY?t=46s

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Day two of Reshuffle Blue Balls, Buzzfeed dares the impossible and actually asks Corbyn's spokesperson what's going on.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/heres-what-jeremy-corbyns-team-wants-you-to-know-about-the-r#.dhVMNKAxd

quote:

Hilary Benn’s just sat next to Jeremy Corbyn – is he still the shadow foreign secretary?
Everyone’s where they are until it’s announced by the leader. I’m not going to comment on the reshuffle.

Any guidance on when you might complete this?
No I don’t – he’ll complete when he completes.

Can you confirm Michael Dugher has been sacked?
I’m not confirming anything until we announce the final position.

Will you do that tonight or tomorrow?
I don’t know. We’ll wait and see when it’s finished then we’ll announce it.

So we shouldn’t assume because we see someone on the front bench that means they will be on the front bench?
We’re not commenting on the reshuffle.

Does that mean Dugher is still technically shadow culture secretary?
Until we announce any changes to the front bench we’re not commenting on the reshuffle.

Is there a reason it’s taking so long?
We’re not going to answer questions about the reshuffle.

Once Jeremy leaves the chamber, presumably he’ll hold further meetings with colleagues?
Well, he’s going back to look at the situation he was looking at really, that I’m not going to comment on

At this point I'm starting to feel Corbyn is doing this on purpose. How's Stephen Bush doing?

quote:

17:04: It's not unreasonable to sack or move people because they disagree with you - it is unfair to their employees to brief it for two months and beyond incompetent - this reshuffle is now longer than the entire Terminator franchise - to wipe out your own story on rail fares and not have an Opposition frontbench by now. I hate everybody.

quote:

17:08: Sorry about that, I have had a cup of tea and am now feeling a lot better.

Don't blink and announce anything Corbyn, he's so close to cracking. I can feel it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

If their goal was to limit population growth, the evidence of the past 200 years shows that they loving sucked at it.
Only relatively. A steadily increasing supply was still seen as necessary, and thought was given to ensuring it.

quote:

How to ‘continue the race of journeymen and servants’? Smith’s phrase reveals that social mobility was limited or non-existent. The heaviest, worst-paid work was entrusted to a stratum that tended to be reproduced from one generation to the next, and hence to a kind of hereditary servile caste. The reproduction of this caste or race was absolutely necessary. According to Mandeville, a decidedly beneficial role was played by war. If, with its periodic massacres, it did not provide a remedy for excess male births, women, sought after by too many aspiring, competitive males, would become a kind of rare commodity accessible only to the rich. Society would then lose its re-supply of ‘the Children of the Poor; the greatest and most extensive of all temporal Blessings’. The hereditary reproduction of the poor destined to perform ‘the Drudgery of hard and dirty Labour’would prove difficult or impossible.
The natural order, of which war was a part, spontaneously generated the race of semi-slaves that society could never do without. However, this supposedly spontaneous process must be encouraged by timely political interventions from above. According to Mandeville, access to education on the part of the ‘Labouring Poor’was to be avoided at all costs: the ‘Proportion of the Society’ would be compromised by it. The requisite cheap, docile and obedient labour force would risk disappearing.
:suicide:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Not on the homepage it isn't. You know, the thing most people go to.

Nobody does this. BBC News/Sport, that's it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

Hi guys,

What do you all think of the littering fine increase? I thinks it's good but not enough, because only utter cunts litter on purpose and should be fined enough to pay for the running of our wonderful nation.

Source: Worked in woodland management.

I think that people that drop litter in the street should be forced to pick it up with their mouths and then crawl on their hands and knees to deposit it in the nearest bin, while a hard-faced nun marches behind them, ringing a bell and shouting "Shame! Shame! Shame!"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ratjaculation posted:

Hi guys,

What do you all think of the littering fine increase? I thinks it's good but not enough, because only utter cunts litter on purpose and should be fined enough to pay for the running of our wonderful nation.

Source: Worked in woodland management.

I dont think there should be a fine, I think they should have to pick up litter for a day. Why punish the poor when the rich wont notice a 150 quid fine for chucking a starbucks cup out their mercedes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replace the labour spokeperson with a chatbot preprogrammed with twenty variations of "we are not commenting on the reshuffle"

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

OwlFancier posted:

Replace the labour spokeperson with a chatbot preprogrammed with twenty variations of "we are not commenting on the reshuffle"

Looks like the high ground of "there is no reshuffle" is officially not the position then.

Also thanks Gonzo, that is a crazy vid!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Looks like the high ground of "there is no reshuffle" is officially not the position then.

We are not commenting on our position on not commenting on the reshuffle commenting position not shuffle the reshuffle commenting we position the commenting reshuffle comment.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm might start littering to spite the Queen, personally. She's never got me a birthday present, so I don't see why I should chip in for hers.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

Also thanks Gonzo, that is a crazy vid!

Pro Wrestling is the true sport of the proletariat.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Nobody does this. BBC News/Sport, that's it.

I go to Weather, as it's a lot more interesting since moving here, and to News from there...

The BBC has a Frontpage ?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Most people use that page because its the fastest thing to go to. If you look at the stats here http://bbc.co.uk.hypestat.com/

98% of the daily visitors to the bbc website visit the homepage. Only 0.65% of people visit news.bbc.co.uk. You cannot in good faith claim that the homepages choice of news stories has no impact on the people that view the website, since for 4.9 million of the sites 5 million unique visitors per day that is what they see.

Look at the stats here for news.bbc.co.uk which doesn't even exist any more except as a redirect to bbc.co.uk/news: http://news.bbc.co.uk.hypestat.com/.
4.8m daily uniques. And that's almost entirely due to people who type it in or have it bookmarked, cause, you know, it's just a redirection now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

tentish klown posted:

Look at the stats here for news.bbc.co.uk which doesn't even exist any more except as a redirect to bbc.co.uk/news: http://news.bbc.co.uk.hypestat.com/.
4.8m daily uniques. And that's almost entirely due to people who type it in or have it bookmarked, cause, you know, it's just a redirection now.

It's probably more due to old links on places like Wikipedia. Still a lot of hits though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Only relatively. A steadily increasing supply was still seen as necessary, and thought was given to ensuring it.

:suicide:
That's what confused me. I thought the liberal-capitalist position was always "everlasting growth and drat the consequences" like in that quote, and always assumed that the free-market liberals were opposed to the Malthusians.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

That's what confused me. I thought the liberal-capitalist position was always "everlasting growth and drat the consequences" like in that quote, and always assumed that the free-market liberals were opposed to the Malthusians.

Think of liberalism and capitalism sort of like leninism and marxism. One political component, one economic component (though both contain elements of the other). You can have liberal communism or anarchy for example. Liberalism and capitalism are deeply entwined for important reasons, but not inseparable. Pure modern Liberalism is more concerned with the absolute freedom of the liberal class to do as it pleases with the classes beneath it. What it then does economically with that freedom is a separate issue.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also Malthus was just fuckin retarded. Let's be real here.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

Oh hell no, pretty much any early Liberal philosopher you'd care to mention will have at least one section of society like the poor or criminals or women or black people where they just go 'Oh btw all this liberty and rights and things won't apply to them of course, that would be silly, nope it's tyranny and oppression for them like it should be'.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

Oh hell no, pretty much any early Liberal

Yeah.... 'bout that.... the book covers what it calls 'the catastrophe of the twentieth century' and.... it don't get no better :saddowns:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't realise that historically liberalism was more explicitly class segregated. We like to pretend it applies to everyone nowadays.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't realise that historically liberalism was more explicitly class segregated. We like to pretend it applies to everyone nowadays.
I think the emphasis there is on 'pretend'.

Although everyone does have the equal right to buy a house for the going market price so liberty reigns. :pseudo:

Oberleutnant posted:

Also Malthus was just fuckin retarded. Let's be real here.
Yeah, the 'population always increases geometrically and food supply always increases linearly' is dumb and bad, and Malthusians always seem to have a "well, there's too many people, but let's be honest, it's mostly those people" component. But unchecked population growth is a bad thing and I'd support good ways of reducing it like education and contraception and women's rights.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I've mentioned it previously (and Marx always gets a kick out of it) but reading early political theorists is great because they were (obviously) writing for an educated and wealthy audience with no fear that the labouring poor would (even be able to) read their theories. Hence they were uncensored and candid.
Now we can all read they have to lie and obfuscate all the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the case of Mail and Sun op-eds, pretend to everyone involved that they're talking about those other unworthy people. You know the ones. Don't worry, they're not you.

And then you end up with that lady on Question Time. :(

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah.... 'bout that.... the book covers what it calls 'the catastrophe of the twentieth century' and.... it don't get no better :saddowns:

Well happy to be proved wrong but once we get into the era of social Liberalism I'd be surprised to hear many of them making the same major exceptions to the tenets of equality and freedom that you do from Bentham and the like.

Oberleutnant posted:

You can have liberal communism or anarchy for example.

I think you're wrong, liberalism without private property rights isn't liberalism. It's a integral component of the concept of liberal freedom so if you're getting rid of that you're just a universalist or egalitarian or something.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Telegraph have literally added a timer counting up the seconds to their 'Reshuffle Live' page.

Corbyn is totally doing this on purpose, and it's awesome.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Oberleutnant posted:

This reminds me of a news story a few years ago where they mapped Neanderthal DNA or something, and some Guardian columnist immediately wrote out a piece that was like "GREAT!! We can clone slaves now!!"

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I don't subscribe to Malthus' views because I think they're evil but I do think that having kids is generally a bad thing, especially (or even exclusively) in developed countries, given that there seems to be absolutely no other concerted effort at all to combat climate change and in general given how lovely things are going to be in a couple of years time, it seems like a net-evil to willingly subject people to that.

I guess having children is a huge, huge contributing factor to climate change in a number of ways thanks to the hosed up way the western world works, so I do feel bad contributing to that.

This isn't really a fault with people having children, of course, which I think is a fundamental inalienable right but it is a huge problem that society is set up in such a way that makes it a sub-optimal thing to do, especially where other people are concerned.

jabby posted:

The Telegraph have literally added a timer counting up the seconds to their 'Reshuffle Live' page.

Given how the media are so desperate to smear him with anything it does seem like a very, very fun game to just lead them on with vague notions that they're constantly reinforcing because they can't fathom anything else.

I like to think Corbyn is in a room somewhere, and between interviewshe's checking all the various news sources to see people absolutely making GBS threads themselves for no god drat reason, and he's smiling to himself :unsmith:

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 5, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jabby posted:

Well we're gradually moving towards day 3 of morons liveblogging a non-story they invented, so I really hope so.

I mean, the only thing that's vaguely newsworthy that's come out of it is Dugher and that's not even formally confirmed yet.

The real worry is that this has been entirely invented just as Corbyn was trying to launch a new policy initiative and just after the flooding which was basically entirely the fault of dear Cambo, and it's doing a grand joob of distracting from that :smith:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ddraig posted:

I don't subscribe to Malthus' views because I think they're evil but I do think that having kids is generally a bad thing, especially (or even exclusively) in developed countries, given that there seems to be absolutely no other concerted effort at all to combat climate change and in general given how lovely things are going to be in a couple of years time, it seems like a net-evil to willingly subject people to that.

I guess having children is a huge, huge contributing factor to climate change in a number of ways thanks to the hosed up way the western world works, so I do feel bad contributing to that.

This isn't really a fault with people having children, of course, which I think is a fundamental inalienable right but it is a huge problem that society is set up in such a way that makes it a sub-optimal thing to do, especially where other people are concerned.

Choosing to have a child in this country is supremely selfish and egotistical. I know that it's not quite as simple as going to the child pound and picking one out, but if you want a kid then it seems to me that in the UK adopting is really the only morally defensible choice.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thespaceinvader posted:

The real worry is that this has been entirely invented just as Corbyn was trying to launch a new policy initiative and just after the flooding which was basically entirely the fault of dear Cambo, and it's doing a grand joob of distracting from that :smith:

The Conservative split over the EU and IS Execution video have distracted from that, the reshuffle really isn't that big a news right now because nothing is happening. There's only so much the BBC can say on "It's a thing. We don't know anything about it"

quote:

19:17: News of Lord Falconer - apparently he is still in the Carribean. I wish I was in the Carribean.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ddraig posted:

Something can be a fundamental inalienable right and still be discouraged. I believe it's a fundamental inalienable right to end your life at the time of your choosing as long as you don't take unwilling people with you or have dependent children, but that doesn't mean I think all the suicide phones on tall bridges should be ripped out or we should allow adverts to encourage it. (I'm not even sure what those would look like. Kill yourself and win a free holiday?)

In the same way, Iran managed to decrease their population growth heavily during one of their less-reactionary eras by encouraging contraception and voluntary sterilization and women being active participants in family planning.
I don't agree with n-child policies or fiscal punishment and I generally feel that prohibition is a bad way of achieving any social change, but there are softer ways of influence that may be beneficial in and of themselves too.

e:

Fans posted:

The Conservative split over the EU and IS
Which Tories want to leave the EU and join IS? :v:
(It's May, isn't it.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

:tinfoil: exactly as the Blairites planned :tinfoil:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

namesake posted:

I think you're wrong, liberalism without private property rights isn't liberalism. It's a integral component of the concept of liberal freedom so if you're getting rid of that you're just a universalist or egalitarian or something.
I think there's a discussion to be had there about how pure Liberalism and other liberal ideological strands approach personal and private property distinctions and rights, but I'm probably not the one to have it with because I've got stuff to do.

Sorry for slow reply, was eating!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Eh you could have significant differences in social liberalism within communism, which would be the difference between utopia and an ant colony.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a tricky situation. I've pretty much brought up my sister after both our parents died so I guess I have that parental experience, and I can't imagine ever wanting to have children of my own for a whole host of reasons.

My bloodline has been an unbroken chain from now until the dawn of life itself but it ends with me, which is a pretty incredible power-trip, certainly more so than continuing it, so even the standard arguments don't really fly that well with me.

Ever since I was made aware of the wider world and how everything is interlinked I've always strived to life my life to make it so that the world is in a slightly better state than my birth made it worse, so I think that's a noble goal to pursue, even if it pales in significance to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I made that argument in the kidhaving thread everyone said I was insane.

Maybe it's something endemic to the UK.

Some folks are weirdly loving attached to the idea of having kids being the most ethical thing in the world.

• Locked thread