Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Super 3 posted:

What does the CW meta look like for IS these days?

I'm assuming that Clan is, artic cheaters, crows, twolves/hbringers, dwolves?

I haven't played IS CW in a while, but certain chassis get major energy range bonuses to the point where they outrange clan ER large lasers

Something like this for instance is pretty effective in certain CW maps

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=120&l=0634f64be1d3c1011a9497e9b55e78e7f786b00b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh, yeah, I meant the Mauler. I don't want no 2nd hand Zentreadi bull poo poo.

And yeah, BJs are great, I don't have an Urbie so that's the personal experience I meant. THere's even one that can fit an AC20 and a couple of medium lasers. I've face tanked dumb atlases in it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

DiHK posted:

Oh, yeah, I meant the Mauler. I don't want no 2nd hand Zentreadi bull poo poo.

And yeah, BJs are great, I don't have an Urbie so that's the personal experience I meant. THere's even one that can fit an AC20 and a couple of medium lasers. I've face tanked dumb atlases in it.

Bjs are great eh?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Blackjacks were the first robot type I mastered before quirks came along. :shobon: They were always pretty good, in my opinion.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I have an older Ideapad (i5 3210 2.5 GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000) - is it going to take a complete poo poo when 12 robot mans are shooting laser all over or will the game be playable but not pretty looking?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ZenVulgarity posted:

Bjs are great eh?

I recommend BJs for everyone!

But I'm like that guy a couple pages back: I won't personally spring for it but I thinks its a pretty good idea for sure.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Blackjacks were always one of the best IS Mediums and now they're pretty much the best after they hit the weights and got swole as gently caress. It's seriously kind of dumb how much punishment they can take right now.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Super 3 posted:

With the increase in tonnage that Clans just got, 3x Timberwolves and 1x Artic Cheetah fits in a drop deck now. I'm guessing that is the most efficient use of tonnage since the Timbers are just big Stormcrows.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Direwolves aren't really a par of top end clan meta. It's mostly just ACH, SCR, TWF. Hellbringers are situational based on ecm need. Direwolves are a liability except when you're defending and don't need maneuverability.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

If you got a performance pack of any kind Ravens, Cheaters, Hunchbacks, Stormcrows, Thunderbolts, Timberwolves, King Crabs, and Dire Wolves are 35% off in Cbill and MC prices until the 11th I think?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Shaving six million Cbills off of a price of a dire wolf is pretty nice

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ZenVulgarity posted:

Shaving six million Cbills off of a price of a dire wolf is pretty nice

Not worth buying one of the lovely Steam "performance packs" though.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Does the sale actually require a performance pack? The announcement is unclear.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not worth buying one of the lovely Steam "performance packs" though.

I have no idea if it requires one though. I don't have any of those any it's offering the 35% off to me.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Haven't played in ages. Thread still active. Had to investigate. Took Highlander 733C, put on max engine, AC20, MLs, some SRM4 and... the game is actually fun. What sorcery is this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Friction posted:

Haven't played in ages. Thread still active. Had to investigate. Took Highlander 733C, put on max engine, AC20, MLs, some SRM4 and... the game is actually fun. What sorcery is this.

:pgi: went full circle. Enjoy a brief moment in the sun before they loop back around to terribad.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Super 3 posted:

4 * Tbolt ER-large, or large pule
4* Quickdraw 4g
banshees/ ravens

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ardlen posted:

Does the sale actually require a performance pack? The announcement is unclear.

It doesn't.

Wish I'd known this sale was going to happen, I'd have held off getting my third SCR.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Okay should I just buy one of every clan mech if I can in order to just have one?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
No

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you got a performance pack of any kind Ravens, Cheaters, Hunchbacks, Stormcrows, Thunderbolts, Timberwolves, King Crabs, and Dire Wolves are 35% off in Cbill and MC prices until the 11th I think?

i picked up the light pack during the steam sale and got another 15% off thanks to captain invictus on sa-mart. after the christmas promotion i bought nine mechbays @ 150mc a pop so now it looks like:

3 * KC
3 * hunchback
and the rest of my bays will go to more variations of stormcrow/ timberwolf even though i already own more than four of each. my mission to never have to go into the mechbay will be realized.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

Okay should I just buy one of every clan mech if I can in order to just have one?

Washout told me in February of 2015:

Buy via c-bills in this order

A) 3 pack of stormcrows
B) 3 pack of timberwolves
C) 3 pack of hellbringers
D) 3 pack of ebon jaguars
E) 3 pack of direwolves

edit: oh and for the love of christ get a 3 pack of artic cheetahs second.

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 5, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

liquidfire posted:

Washout told me in February of 2015:

Buy via c-bills in this order

A) 3 pack of stormcrows
B) 3 pack of timberwolves
C) 3 pack of hellbringers
D) 3 pack of ebon jaguars
E) 3 pack of direwolves

But cheaters are good!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I doubt I'll have enough cbills for nine of the things before the sale ends so I'll get one of each of the top three to start.

Does it matter which major one I get first?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Stringbean posted:

I heard a lot of praise for the Marauder. My finger is hovering over the buy button for this thing. Considering the price is the same over all these mechs, should I consider the Rifleman/Warhammer over it?

Before anyone says "don't give them money", I'm going to give them money regardless.
Marauders!

MAD-5M "Pulse Drill"

4 Large pulses, 18DHS, XL300, 2 jumpjets for manouverability, I hear you asking "Why no Endo Zomby?" Lack of crits I'm afraid. You could swap the jumpjets out for AMS, but those jumpjets are pretty handy for getting around and if you're anything like me you'll miss them if they weren't there.

MAD-5D "Brawler"

2 Large Pulses, 15DHS, 2 Jumpjets and 2x SRM6 with 3t ammo. I think to myself that it's looking a little under gunned, but this setup has been a very strong performer for me with the added durability of the Standard 300 engine. of course there's always.......

MAD-5D "Some like it hot!" Edition

I used to run this prior to the Standard engine build, but with the XL engine it felt like a bad brawler.

MAD-BH2 " Pretty much the bog standard meta mech build"

6 Medium Lasers, AC20, Standard 300 Engine, it's a pretty solid unit but it does get hot pretty quick. The little ML T-Rex arms don't have the range of movement of the other Marauders ( no lower actuators ) which is kind of a downer but hey, they still work ok alongside the AC20. If I don't sound enthused by this mech, it's because I find the 5D & 5M so much more entertaining.

And lastly....
MAD-3R " Ugh whatever"
Stock build is like PPCs in the arms and an AC5, but I'm a fan of neither - both are weapon types that are problematic with my high latency ( I don't have so much problems with the AC20 because I'm generally using it up close & personal like ), and the PPCs in the low slung arm mounts are a total waste anyhow. Because I bought the the Bounty Hunter I don't need the 3R for anything, but if I were inclined to do anything with it I'd probably just turn it into another Pulse Drill.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

start with the most expensive 3 pack that you can afford and work down. for what it's worth after the gauss nerf i totally prefer my hellbringers over timberwolves and direwolves. i guess i would say 3 * artic cheetah non (D) variant and stormcrow d, prime, and a. i farm c-bills faster with the streakcrow than any other mech or else the artic cheetah prime with small pulse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What are the three best Hunchback variants to get? 4J for LRM10 spam, 4P for medium lasers and 4SP for ASRM-6 brawling? How's the AC-20 on the 4G?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ZombyDog posted:

And lastly....
MAD-3R " Ugh whatever"
Stock build is like PPCs in the arms and an AC5, but I'm a fan of neither - both are weapon types that are problematic with my high latency ( I don't have so much problems with the AC20 because I'm generally using it up close & personal like ), and the PPCs in the low slung arm mounts are a total waste anyhow. Because I bought the the Bounty Hunter I don't need the 3R for anything, but if I were inclined to do anything with it I'd probably just turn it into another Pulse Drill.

I'm running 3 AC5s on mine and a shitfuckton of ammo. Have one weapon group set to fire them all at once, the other set to chain fire them. It's a pretty OK build.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm running 3 AC5s on mine and a shitfuckton of ammo. Have one weapon group set to fire them all at once, the other set to chain fire them. It's a pretty OK build.
Yea 3AC5s, 2 MLs and a bunch of ammo is a solid build.
My 5M build is similar- dual UAC5s and dual LLs on one side- leaving you a shield side

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alternatively you can run the 3r like a shittier BH. 4 ML and an AC20

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Seconding the recommendation for Marauders. Those things are dope, and do a pretty good job of soaking damage. 3R is pretty good with 3x AC5 and 4x ML, just remember it gets hot quick.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

e: unintentional doublepost

I'm excited to pick up some cheap(ish) King Crabs.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

Marauders!

MAD-5M "Pulse Drill"

4 Large pulses, 18DHS, XL300, 2 jumpjets for manouverability, I hear you asking "Why no Endo Zomby?" Lack of crits I'm afraid. You could swap the jumpjets out for AMS, but those jumpjets are pretty handy for getting around and if you're anything like me you'll miss them if they weren't there.

Get Endo, Upgrade the engine to XL325. Same number of heatsinks and more zoom zoom.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I really hate XLs on marauders. The #1 reason to play the mech over its competitors is the ease of shielding the CT. There are mechs that do the fast XL-using heavy a lot better.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Lemon Curdistan posted:

What are the three best Hunchback variants to get? 4J for LRM10 spam, 4P for medium lasers and 4SP for ASRM-6 brawling? How's the AC-20 on the 4G?

they're all good, including the hero

the 4H is probably the black sheep of the bunch, I haven't checked the quirks for it in a long time

edit: also the 4G owns

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Blackdog420 posted:

the 4H is probably the black sheep of the bunch, I haven't checked the quirks for it in a long time

edit: also the 4G owns
4G
It does own
Additional Armor Right Torso+18
Additional Structure Right Torso+12
AC/20 Cooldown25%
(Ballistic Weapon Cooldown15%)
Ballistic Weapon Range25%
Ballistic Weapon Velocity25%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation-15%
Energy Weapon Range15%
Turn Rate30%

4H
AC/10 Cooldown20%
(Ballistic Weapon Cooldown15%)
Ballistic Weapon Range20%
Energy Weapon Cooldown20%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation-20%
Acceleration15%
Deceleration15%
Turn Rate10%
Torso Yaw Speed

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just fell into the ravine at the back of Frozen City, in front of two King Crabs and a Dire Wolf which proceeded to look at me, totally ignore my splatcrow and keep on walking. :stare:

So I ran away, waited for them to get engaged by friendlies, then killed the two King Crabs. :getin:

Blackdog420 posted:

Cool, I'll see if I can whip up enough C-bills before the sale ends to get the 4G, 4J and another variant. Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 5, 2016

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

glad to see Hard Gay still rocking. Still no response from PGI about them turning me from upinya to MechWarrior0424161

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So, Clan Mechs, does it matter which version of mech you buy or can you just get whichever and get the Omnimodules for whichever mech in the line is the best for the thing you want it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

The only omnipod you can't change is the center torso and with that said you're usually safe buying prime/a/c/d . other people know better than i do.

• Locked thread