Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

I look forward to contrarian goons crowning it as far, far better than GoT ever was.

Snak posted:

Well story-wise, that won't be hard. GoT is a loving paragon of production value, including makeup and costuming, though.

literally a response to the post, now that's speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Hellboy movie put me off the comic for years, when I read it last year I couldn't believe how different everything was. I turned off Hellboy halfway through, the book is some of the best comics I've ever read.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

literally a response to the post, now that's speed

Oh, you misinterpret me. I intend to claim that both shows are complete garbage, and that real fans of fantasy should watch science fiction shows.

Mainly, that The 100 is the best fantasy show ever made.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Snak posted:

Oh, you misinterpret me. I intend to claim that both shows are complete garbage, and that real fans of fantasy should watch science fiction shows.

ahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha

quote:

ahahahahahahahahhaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Sure Jan

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snak posted:

:stare:

Toxxupation posted:

ahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahhaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*hiccuping laughing so hard*

So...pffft....forums...ha....forums....woo...forums poster Snak, how...how is the 100 the 'best fantasy show ever mad'-AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHA I CAN'T DO IT

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, mostly I was being hyperbolic while poking fun at the "science" in The 100.

But really, are there any good "period" fantasy shows at all? I don't think I've ever seen one...

I mean let's see what I've seen off the top of my head...

Hercules: the Legendary Journeys
Xena: Warrior Princess
Conan the Adventurer
Legend of the Seeker
Game of Thrones
Camelot
Merlin

...that's all I got

Which one of those is good?

Outlander, I guess, is that good?

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 5, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Game of Thrones is a good fantasy show.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Pacific Rim is a perfect film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BSam posted:

I think it's pretty loving awesome, yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Game of Thrones is a good fantasy show.

yep

also vikings

outlander reviewed well

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

But really, are there any good "period" fantasy shows at all? I don't think I've ever seen one...

Outlander

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I should check out Outlander, since I forgot to cancel my Stars premium subscription on amazon before my free trial ended.

I head some stuff about the books that made it sound really bad, so I didn't think it was for me, but on the flip side, before I heard that stuff, the premise sounded kind of interesting.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It's brilliant and absolutely brutal

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Cool, I'll start it when I finish Terriers.

edit: Then I can be a giant snob about it to people who watch GoT. I think my roommates are going to watch both GoT and Sons of Anarchy, so I will be able to feel secure in my snobbery while I watch Outlander, Deadwood, and the Wire.

edit: v yeah that would be the gist of what I heard about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

I thought it was based on some time travelling harlequin romance novels?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Yes, it is.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

It's actually a hardcore deconstruction of that, very similar to GoT in that sense since that does the same for its own subgenre (and also in terms of production values, plotting, brutal violence and gorgeous cinematography).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hm maybe I should check it out, I thought it was 50 Shades But In Braveheart.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just to illustrate (big spoiler):

The main antagonist, who is like a more mature and less cartoonish version of Ramsay Snow, methodically, almost surgically rapes the male lead (who he is in love with, it's actually a surprisingly carefully built up and explored, character-rooted plotline) in probably the longest and most graphic psychosexual male rape scene ever shown on television.

This show does not kid around, it's has a lot of era-realistic violence and terror so the oversensitive snowflakes ITT who complained they were "triggered" by Jessica Jones and such should probably steer clear.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't the show about a time-traveling nurse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat, I hope I'm a Bad enough Dude to watch Outlander.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't the show about a time-traveling nurse?

Just like Game of Thrones is ostensibly about bickering princes and princesses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure GoT is about "shock factor".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I look forward to contrarian goons crowning it as far, far better than GoT ever was.

ASoIaF had 3 really good books, then a lovely half book that took 11 years to come out, then another lovely quarter of a book and Gurm is too busy shoveling lemoncakes up his rear end in Ireland to write the next one.

Shananara I barely made it through 1 book and the first maybe 50 pages of the next.

And I read all of The Sword of Truth (much of it hate-reading) so this should give you a good idea of how bland the source material this show will be drawing from is.

That said, fantasy show, I'm fuckin' in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We need a Z-Nation version of GoT.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was BBC/Starz show called The White Queen that was basically the cheesy version of Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N98ojUqInk

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

drat, I hope I'm a Bad enough Dude to watch Outlander.

I was just poking a bit of fun at certain goons who posted a while ago that stuff like Shameless and Jessica Jones was too much for them to handle. Which is maybe an expected reaction from an 11-year-old to filmed, entirely fictional entertainment but not really from a grown adult. Watching the graphic episode I described above would probably "trigger" them into a coma.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would absolutely caution a sexual assault survivor about the content of JJ, that poo poo is legit triggering in the PTSD sense.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

We need a Z-Nation version of GoT.

Someone call The Asylum.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Not to mention practically every media outlet at the time cautioned viewers about that specific Outlander episode, considering it IS so detailed. They say it for the distrubing rape scenes on GoT too. Triggering isn't just an attention-grabbing title the way you seem to think it is. I mean, it's just tv, but if it's well done, it's realistic and eerie.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

less laughter posted:

I was just poking a bit of fun at certain goons who posted a while ago that stuff like Shameless and Jessica Jones was too much for them to handle. Which is maybe an expected reaction from an 11-year-old to filmed, entirely fictional entertainment but not really from a grown adult. Watching the graphic episode I described above would probably "trigger" them into a coma.

Yeah nothing screams grown adult like making fun of people for reacting strongly to stories about rape.

Idiot.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

BSam posted:

Pan's Labyrinth also is legit perfect.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

VDay posted:

Yeah nothing screams grown adult like making fun of people for reacting strongly to stories about rape.

Idiot.

Thanks for your mature response.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Season 1 of Elementary was great, though??? I mean the pilot was kinda weak (i still hate that baseball scene,) but beyond that you had a loving amazing development of Sherlock and Watson's relationship.

And by "bizarre" you mean "completely misunderstands what feminism actually is," right?

MEN SHOULD ALL BE MURDERED

like drat lady just get a divorce

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Pan's Labyrinth also is legit perfect.

Crimson Peak was also surprisingly decent last year, though maybe that was partially because I went in with absolutely no expectations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In retrospect I think Pacific Rim is terrible

Crimson Peak should have been like a hour-long Outer Limits special.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I know this isn't about TV at all, but Giant Bomb just shared this trailer for Pac-Man on iPad and it's sheer magic.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/want-to-play-pac-man-with-a-thing-on-your-arm-no/2300-10930/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WATCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okc8Bn0zVwM

WATCH

WATCH

• Locked thread