Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

When my VW was in for service, which was frequent, they would just give me a used car off the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Surprise surprise, they have a loaner for me after all. Only took calling them 3 times and magically a car appears. Hopefully this ecu fix is legit and they aren't just throwing parts at the car...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not saying that it won't be negotiated down, but it's way more complex than everyone in DC having a vested interest in keeping VW in the US and not hurting their domestic production too much.

edit: I just looked it up. VW employs 1400 in its Tenn. plant. THat's not exactly the backbone of American manufacturing. Also I seem to remember them having a fight with UAW at the end of the year - unions are still politically powerful and if UAW isn't VW's friend but has at least a stable relationship with the domestic manufacturers that's not going to add to VW's political clout.

Yes, I agree that it's more complex, but it only takes one senator to step in about the impact potentially shutting down the VW plant would have (which "sells" a lot better than statistics about emissions, for better or for worse).

And as for the UAW vs VW, remember that VW is actually quite pro-union. The thing that happened in November was about whether or not the UAW could have a separate union for skilled trade members, whereas VW wanted to have a single union for everybody. It wasn't VW fighting against unions altogether. So I agree that maybe they're not on the best of terms, but you'd be silly if you think the UAW is going to side against VW. At the most basic level, VW is another auto manufacturer and the UAW obviously as many of them around as possible.

And if you think shutting down a major automotive plant isn't going to hurt the local economy, well, I don't know what to tell you. It's not going to turn Chattanooga into a ghost town, duh, but it is going to be painful for a lot of people.

Anyway, I think my point still stands that $20 billion is way more than what VW is going to end up paying, no matter what the reasons are, so that number is completely irrelevant other than as a ceiling.

vvv okay, whatever number is being thrown around, is irrelevant :P

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 5, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

totalnewbie posted:

Anyway, I think my point still stands that $20 billion is way more than what VW is going to end up paying, no matter what the reasons are, so that number is completely irrelevant other than as a ceiling.

$20 bil actually isn't the ceiling, $90bil is.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Voltage posted:

Hopefully this ecu fix is legit and they aren't just throwing parts at the car...

Welcome to the VW dealer mechanic experience!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

veedubfreak posted:

Eh, as with most every giant fine like this, it'll be tied up in the courts for years before they ever have to spend a penny. I mean Ford and Toyota killed people and got off easier.

Thanks for your tireless efforts to remind us that "but but the allies other car makers did bad things too!", forums poster veedubfreak.

Why is VW going to shut Chatanooga down? That's not going to get them out of paying the fine, unless you're talking about some kind of tit-for-tat cutting off your nose to spite your face type of thing. That would make no sense for a shareholder owned public corporation

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Quick Audi A4 question. This bit:

is leaking fuel. How hard is it to replace?

I have more questions relating to this car but they can wait for a longer post.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Thanks for your tireless efforts to remind us that "but but the allies other car makers did bad things too!", forums poster veedubfreak.

Why is VW going to shut Chatanooga down? That's not going to get them out of paying the fine, unless you're talking about some kind of tit-for-tat cutting off your nose to spite your face type of thing. That would make no sense for a shareholder owned public corporation

Starting to understand how you got that avatar.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

nockturne posted:

Quick Audi A4 question. This bit:

is leaking fuel. How hard is it to replace?

I have more questions relating to this car but they can wait for a longer post.

Depends on where exactly it's leaking. Maybes it's just loose and needs to be tighten or maybe the Teflon tape is bad and just needs to be replaced (is Teflon tape safe for gas and used in this case? I'm not sure). Could also be the rubber to fitting crimp that is bad and a little more work would need to be done.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No you should't use teflon tape for liquid fuel applications. Even the yellow stuff. Not only isn't it rated for liquid fuel, but any tape in a fuel system is begging to break off and clog injectors and other poo poo.

No sealant should be needed if the threads are undamaged. If for some reason a sealant is necessary form-a-gasket #3 is the go-to.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Never before have I attempted replacing valve stem seals on any engine, never mind my 2.0L mk4. I have the spring compressor, paracord to keep the valves from falling into the cylinders, and a whole lot of can-do attitude, I just need a guide to follow. I'd rather leave the head on the block since I don't have the VAG head bolt tool. Anyone done this before that would like to share their experiences?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

devmd01 posted:

Welcome to the VW dealer mechanic experience!

Looks like they need to order a new ECU from germany, and it's going to take over a week to arrive...
Meanwhile I have a loaner auto 1.8t jetta... at least I wont be racking up miles on the lease...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
A 91 gti would be digifant, right?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've got about $340 left of my Audi TDI penance money but my next service (55K) is a year away and free; what's worth buying at the dealership for a '11 A3?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Jesus Christ. That's like a 3.5-4k truck where I'm at.

Also, GAP has a lot of mk1 stuff also.
Sent the dude an email asking if he'd accept a trade. Probably not the best timing if "yes" since my garage is gonna be occupied with a Passat W8 wagon to fix up, but we'll see.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Sent the dude an email asking if he'd accept a trade. Probably not the best timing if "yes" since my garage is gonna be occupied with a Passat W8 wagon to fix up, but we'll see.

Yeah well I have a torn apart gti in the garage and am currently emailing a dude about an 8v 91 gti that's blowing smoke but runs for 800.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah well I have a torn apart gti in the garage and am currently emailing a dude about an 8v 91 gti that's blowing smoke but runs for 800.
$800? You said you're in Texas? *checks available flights*

My gf was just saying "we should get a shed for the backyard." I'm in love.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Nah, socal. Just from Texas originally.

So flight would likely be even cheaper :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

yeah, time to report back in at your thread in BFC

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, time to report back in at your thread in BFC
:master:

My plans got squashed for the evening so I'll make some tea and time to actually figure out how much money I'm spending on booze/eating at restaurants/entertainment/etc.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Depends on where exactly it's leaking. Maybes it's just loose and needs to be tighten or maybe the Teflon tape is bad and just needs to be replaced (is Teflon tape safe for gas and used in this case? I'm not sure). Could also be the rubber to fitting crimp that is bad and a little more work would need to be done.

Yeah, you wouldn't use teflon tape anywhere near the fuel system, have to agree with that other dude.

Leak is coming from the thread itself, the metal bit. It's been tightened as far as it will go, in fact pretty sure overtightened to try to stop the leak. Apparently these things have a metal gasket that can distort and wreck the seal so there's no point trying to repair it.

Anyone know what this part is called and how you go about replacing it so I can find it in parts catalogues? Not the fuel rail (bit its feeding fuel to, long metal thing) but the rubber pipe and metal fitting? And do you need to replace the rail itself as well? Hoping to find someone here who has worked on this model of car.

God this car is a nightmare. Long post still incoming, just need to fix this before it can be driven again. Otherwise the fuel will evaporate, hit something hot and explode, which would be less than desirable.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

bizwank posted:

I've got about $340 left of my Audi TDI penance money but my next service (55K) is a year away and free; what's worth buying at the dealership for a '11 A3?
Self-quote because I just thought of something related to this: has anyone tried to use their "dealer only" card to make a purchase somewhere besides the dealer? When I used mine at the dealership today they just swiped it through their cc machine like any other card, and I signed a normal looking cc receipt. There's a 16 digit Visa number on the back, a cvv code and an expiration date, so it seems this might be just another pre-paid Visa card in Audi/VW clothing. Unless every dealership uses the same credit card processor I don't see how they could control where these cards are used, and are instead hoping that everyone will just assume they're some sort of magic VW/Audi gift card that won't work anywhere else. I might try running a small transaction at work tomorrow to see if it goes through...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a phone number or website on the back of the card? Last time I looked at a gift card, I was surprised to find a website that let me view my balance and edit my PIN to my heart's content, just like with a "real" debit card. Maybe you'll find more info there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Things with VW are deteriorating.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN0UL00320160107

quote:

German automaker Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) assumes it will have to buy back about 115,000 cars in the United States as a result of the emissions scandal, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

Without citing its sources, Germany's daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung said the company expected it would have to either refund the purchase price of a fifth of the diesel vehicles affected or offer a new car at a significant discount.

Volkswagen expects that the rest of the vehicles will need major refits, incurring significant costs for parts and a long stay at the garage as parts of the exhaust must be reconstructed and approved, the newspaper reported.

Yesterday, sources were saying that the EPA wasn't happy with VW's solution and now it's out in the open.

quote:

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said on Wednesday that "recall discussions with the company have not produced an acceptable way forward. EPA continues to insist that VW develops effective, appropriate remedies as expeditiously as possible."

So, things are really not looking good for any sort of quick resolution.

If they truly do have to buy back all 115k vehicles, that's nearly $4 bil flushed down the drain before we even look at the fines or the repairs to the remainder of the vehicles.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 7, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wonder what the criteria will be...probably the oldest and highest mileage vehicles under 100 or 150k miles.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So how is the Cayenne Diesel affected here?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

nockturne posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't use teflon tape anywhere near the fuel system, have to agree with that other dude.

Leak is coming from the thread itself, the metal bit. It's been tightened as far as it will go, in fact pretty sure overtightened to try to stop the leak. Apparently these things have a metal gasket that can distort and wreck the seal so there's no point trying to repair it.

Anyone know what this part is called and how you go about replacing it so I can find it in parts catalogues? Not the fuel rail (bit its feeding fuel to, long metal thing) but the rubber pipe and metal fitting? And do you need to replace the rail itself as well? Hoping to find someone here who has worked on this model of car.

God this car is a nightmare. Long post still incoming, just need to fix this before it can be driven again. Otherwise the fuel will evaporate, hit something hot and explode, which would be less than desirable.

Try the form a gasket #3 that was suggested in the other post?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I hope this doesn't come down to VW having to crush 115k vehicles, because whatever damage they're doing to the environment crushing that many cars before their end of life is worse.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It isn't about the environment anyway, it's about local air quality.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just heard on a podcast that the Focus RS arrival to the US is delayed by 2 months, because the EPA is going to individually test every single car now. There are probably other cars that will also be delayed. Thanks assholes!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

I wonder what the criteria will be...probably the oldest and highest mileage vehicles under 100 or 150k miles.

There's a few models that already have the Adblue tank but don't use it, so those ones are probably in the clear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EngineerSean posted:

There's a few models that already have the Adblue tank but don't use it, so those ones are probably in the clear.

Speaking of this I just got a warning that I needed to Add Adblue in the next 1500 miles. My 20k service is coming up soon so I'd imagine they would do it but I don't even know where the Adblue tank would be.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

I hope this doesn't come down to VW having to crush 115k vehicles, because whatever damage they're doing to the environment crushing that many cars before their end of life is worse.

BUT WE MUST MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THE GERMANS. THEY CHEATED OUR lovely EMISSIONS TESTING AND MUST SUFFER.

This whole debacle makes me really glad I got my R when I did, since I'm guessing it's really gonna cut into their availability for a few years.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of this I just got a warning that I needed to Add Adblue in the next 1500 miles. My 20k service is coming up soon so I'd imagine they would do it but I don't even know where the Adblue tank would be.

What model? I know on my brother's Jeep its a smaller filler neck next to the main one for fuel.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

BUT WE MUST MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF THE GERMANS. THEY CHEATED OUR lovely EMISSIONS TESTING AND MUST SUFFER.

This whole debacle makes me really glad I got my R when I did, since I'm guessing it's really gonna cut into their availability for a few years.

The emissions testing isn't lovely, please stop being a sycophant for this stupid loving company.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

The emissions testing isn't lovely, please stop being a sycophant for this stupid loving company.

Yeah, just gonna echo BraveUlysses. I love VW and Audi, but they broke the rules and they brought this upon themselves.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mr-Spain posted:

What model? I know on my brother's Jeep its a smaller filler neck next to the main one for fuel.

Same story on my 2015 Golf.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Uthor posted:

The engine in my MKV GTI sometimes takes a bit of cranking before it starts. It's been like this for a while, worse in the winter, but sometimes happened during the summer, too. I recently replaced the battery and the battery place said the alternator was fine. I've been hearing coil packs are a likely culprit. Are these the recommended ones to get? I'm about to place an ECS Tuning order, anyway.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Ignition/ES2065380/

The long cable that feeds the coil packs can also gently caress up with extended heat cycles, so check that over too, also worth checking with a VAG dealer to see if you are eligible for, or a previous owner had the packs and cable done on a recall- mine were, but I have had to get fresh coils anyway.

Get a few spares as well, because they will fail again eventually- really, really easy swap though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

8ender posted:

This is a good point, but it's much harder to measure the amount of environmental damage "wasting" that many cars does vs. how much NOx comes out of the tailpipe.

Plus then you're going to be asked to compare what amounts to CO2 emissions vs. NOx emissions, which is also problematic.

veedubfreak posted:

You need to calm down and realize that things are happening like they're SUPPOSED to happen. EVEN IF, in this case of VW they are (just hypothetically) being treated more harshly than same/similar incidents in the past, it means that things weren't done properly in the past, not that things shouldn't be done properly THIS time.

BraveUlysses posted:

Because they're only doing a partial buy-back and talk about rebuilding part of the exhaust system, I suspect that the buybacks are for cars with an LNT system and the rebuild is to increase the urea tank size. From what I understand, the reason they couldn't just not-cheat is that the AdBlue tank was too small and it's required that it lasts from service-to-service. I'm not sure that that explanation makes sense, but that's what I heard through the grapevine.

(But I didn't check this against VW's engine offerings to see if 1/5 of diesels ("older 2.0L") had an LNT system or anything like that, just guessing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

As an aside, is it even realistic to think they might cube the cars? I was always under the impression that they would just resell them to markets that don't have emissions controls. Africa, Asia, etc. gently caress, even Europe if they can get the emissions under their bar but not pass the stricter American standards.