Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Oh good we've had incestchat and now its antispawnerchat.
It's the best prevention against incest.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

whatever the hell we are blood.
We're communists blood.
I can't be the only one that remembers the threadchat ages ago about a modern replacement for comrade.

Oberleutnant posted:

If you haven't read it already Discipline & Punish is a real good examination of the transition from feudal to modern methods of judicial punishment and which necessarily spends a good deal of time on the focus which modern penal institutions put on disciplining and integrating the prisoner (including those imprisoned for the crime of being poor) to existence in capitalist society as an obedient worker.
I have but not recently and now I have a new thing to reread because I'd been meaning to anyway. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

We're communists blood.
I can't be the only one that remembers the threadchat ages ago about a modern replacement for comrade.

Blood is fun but I would feel a bit silly saying it to my nan.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Is there a thread-approved better solution than this? Aside from the tabloid pandering about wanting "two years of hell" which isn't constructive, an intensive residential course for criminal families to be taught basic life skills , parenting skills and job hunting skills sounds pretty useful. Removing them from the estates they terrorise would have a dramatic improvement on crime and quality of life for the remaining law abiding residents as an added bonus. As long as the focus was truly on rehabilitation, we haven't got much to lose (and don't some Nordic countries already try something similar?)

As the article says, constantly jailing perpetual reoffenders doesn't actually solve anything, and this would have the additional benefit of avoiding children being taken into care, which often has terrible outcomes in any case.

I've been hearing a lot of (first-hand) social work stories lately and the trends identified here are certainly duplicated in at least three other areas of the UK. Inevitably there are one or two families responsible for the majority of crime and antisocial behaviour on a particular street, the parents and children are utterly without the most basic of life skills, and prison and extensive contact with social workers has little/no effect on behaviour.

Some of the life stories are beyond shocking, so I'm very much coming at this from a sympathetic rather than a blaming point of view, but I never seem to hear any strong voices on the left advocating radical solutions for those that have been truly left behind by society. From a cost:benefit point of view, even expensive solutions must surely be worth it in view of the disproportionate impact the most dysfunctional members of society have on society at large.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

We're communists blood.

Nah I got it. What did we think of mate?

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I don't think many people think about it in terms of continuing their line, or creating miniature versions of themselves for the good of humanity or any of that. They just want to have children.

That would explain it I guess. It'd still be nice to see more popular analysis of why people feel like that, but maybe it's too closely held a belief (and too tied in with notions of biological imperatives, even though I'm pretty sure at this point it's far more social conditioning than anything) to touch without setting people off, unless they come to it themselves.

If the only people to have kids were people who both wanted to and could afford to do it and be certain of not dropping into poverty at all in the following 20 years, population growth would be hosed. (assuming a scenario where governments continue to feel like it's not their job to stop anyone falling into poverty, regardless of their childhaving status)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 5, 2016

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

If the Housing and Planning bill report stage takes all of its protected time today, the Commons will sit until Around 3.15am, assuming a half hour adjournment debate.

Before being too smug on this, remember that this means all of the staff that need to be there while the house is sitting are also there, like catering (the cafeteria stays open until rise) and admin workers and such.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Is there a thread-approved better solution than this? Aside from the tabloid pandering about wanting "two years of hell" which isn't constructive, an intensive residential course for criminal families to be taught basic life skills , parenting skills and job hunting skills sounds pretty useful. Removing them from the estates they terrorise would have a dramatic improvement on crime and quality of life for the remaining law abiding residents as an added bonus. As long as the focus was truly on rehabilitation, we haven't got much to lose (and don't some Nordic countries already try something similar?)

As the article says, constantly jailing perpetual reoffenders doesn't actually solve anything, and this would have the additional benefit of avoiding children being taken into care, which often has terrible outcomes in any case.

I've been hearing a lot of (first-hand) social work stories lately and the trends identified here are certainly duplicated in at least three other areas of the UK. Inevitably there are one or two families responsible for the majority of crime and antisocial behaviour on a particular street, the parents and children are utterly without the most basic of life skills, and prison and extensive contact with social workers has little/no effect on behaviour.

Some of the life stories are beyond shocking, so I'm very much coming at this from a sympathetic rather than a blaming point of view, but I never seem to hear any strong voices on the left advocating radical solutions for those that have been truly left behind by society. From a cost:benefit point of view, even expensive solutions must surely be worth it in view of the disproportionate impact the most dysfunctional members of society have on society at large.

Abolish prison in the main, refer people to rehabilitative centres, tell blood-hungry victims and bystanders to gently caress off/send them to rehabilitation also because they're eminently antisocial.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Probably less awkward than calling her a crip.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

She calls herself that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

You don't feel silly saying comrade to her?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

Is there a thread-approved better solution than this?

Re-education camps have always been 100% humane areas where peoples' dignity and rights are respected.

Maybe we can get the people who run Yarl's Wood to oversee the implementation.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

why, is she a blood?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

You don't feel silly saying comrade to her?

Given that she told me recently to keep the red flag flying and lectured me at age ten on the benefits of communism and the dangers of stalinism, possibly not.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Given that she told me recently to keep the red flag flying and lectured me at age ten on the benefits of communism and the dangers of stalinism, possibly not.

Oh to be a fly on that wall.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prince John posted:

I actually quite like the idea of the government running education/training centres where people could go to learn job/trade skills. Hell, use the derelict army bases that that posh shitlord mentions, to give the learners board while they're there. I suspect the difference would be that I'd let people choose whether to go or not.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

lectured me at age ten on the benefits of communism and the dangers of stalinism,
is that a fancy way of saying she told you to share your toys?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

is that a fancy way of saying she told you to share your toys?

No she genuinely just decided one day that I really needed to know how bad the soviet ideology was but that it was distinct from 'true communism' which is 'maybe the best way to live'.

I think at the time I was just kind of confused.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Coming back to the reshuffle, I think the media handling and perception is just another example of the weakest parts of the Corbyn team. When the news of the reshuffle emerged, Corbyn's team should have raced to get ahead of it, control the story, set expectation levels. To be honest, the media behaviour does suggest that briefing a few favoured journalists about the scope would have been a better option. They get the scoop, you get a message out you can control. The alternative just leads to a seedy media frenzy. The other issue, is one of message discipline. His team should have nipped some of the worst excesses of Maria Eagle and others in the bud early on. Openly saying you disagree with the leader, and that the things they are saying are "unhelpful for a potential PM" in the media, that is just crazy. The Corbyn team need a Alastair Campbell type to hold ministers' genitals in a vice when they go off message or openly question the leadership in that manner.

It's not nice, and of course there's a risk of being tarred with the Blairite brush, but rigorous message discipline is the only way people are going to be convinced to vote for Labour. Personally I'm not going to vote for a Labour candidate, no matter how good I think he or she would be, if the leadership is going to be at war with itself.

At least Cameron has managed to contain the EU renegotiation dissent so far - yes there's briefing, but it's anonymous and not too overt. I also don't think any of the senior cabinet will break for the No campaign. Whatever policy announcements Corbyn is making are usually completely overshadowed by public infighting or contradictions from the minister whose brief it is.

I'm not questioning his principles, but he seems to be a really loving awful manager.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Milotic posted:

I'm not questioning his principles, but he seems to be a really loving awful manager.

On the contrary maybe that he is apparently taking time and talking to everyone in confidence about it means he's a really good manager and I would rather see that than someone who just fires people willy nilly and decides everything arbitrarily?

If he wants a cabinet he can stick with he should take as long as he needs to find it. A few days of media crying is far less probematic than a lovely cabinet, as the point of a reshuffle would be to fix the lovely cabinet I would hope he'd do it properly so he doesn't have to do it in future.

If he has to have another one further down the line he's going to get accused of not knowing what he's doing then anyway.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Prince John posted:

Social discipline is one of those really interesting points to consider when approaching Leftist thought because while the entire left is basically agreed on broad-stroke economics, approaches to individual liberty run the full gamut from anarchist conceptions of the inviolable sovereignty of the individual to full authoritarianism. I know UKMT is very leftist but I'd be surprised if any kind of thread consensus would emerge on that point for that reason.

A while ago when we were talking about Anarchism (like a month or two back) I remarked on what I considered the naive belief among anarchists that community opprobrium would be enough to regulate the behavior of its members without any coercive judicial power - basically peer pressure. I thought it unrealistic because I've basically never seen it work in my own experience - and I've lived for most of my life on exactly the sorts of grey, ugly council estates where one or two families cause endless misery for everybody else. But on reflection, I don't think I've ever lived in a "community" where I knew my neighbours, or felt in any way a part of a communal existence, and I think that's regarded as a fairly common complaint of modern life.
But in the sort of community envisaged by Anarchist and Communist thought - in which people are necessarily constantly engaged in their local community because there is no state superstructure - perhaps that constant intercourse within a community would be enough to promote the sort of civil solidarity that would be able to moderate the behaviour of the worst members.

But then again maybe not. I've not had the opportunity to delve into this in any detail, it's just half-arsed thoughts.

Re: Norway. They have little prison islands where the prisoners live independently in their own little houses with 2 or 3 other prisoners and are trained in real vocations. I think the guards aren't even on the island most of the time. It has a good record as I recall. One story that always sticks with me is a guy who murdered 2 or 3 people with a chainsaw being trained as a lumberjack while he was there. It just always tickled me in some dreadful way.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oh and just on prison and correction generally, let me recommend Dostoevsky's House of the Dead for an account of 19th century Russian prison life. It's wicked good - one of my favourite books in the world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hehe, constant intercourse within the community.

I think perhaps a lot of the disagreement stems from there possibly being no single sure fire way to solve the problem. Better conditions of living would probably help, as would better community integration, better opportunities for people, better reform-driven justice, better everything, really.

I dunno if you'll ever make things perfect, but you might improve stuff a lot by shoveling a bunch of money into improving people's lives in general.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Milotic posted:

I also don't think any of the senior cabinet will break for the No campaign.

i'll take that bet

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

On the contrary maybe that he is apparently taking time and talking to everyone in confidence about it means he's a really good manager and I would rather see that than someone who just fires people willy nilly and decides everything arbitrarily?

If he wants a cabinet he can stick with he should take as long as he needs to find it. A few days of media crying is far less probematic than a lovely cabinet, as the point of a reshuffle would be to fix the lovely cabinet I would hope he'd do it properly so he doesn't have to do it in future.

If he has to have another one further down the line he's going to get accused of not knowing what he's doing then anyway.

It's best to get through reshuffles quickly, so you can get back to communicating policy and also so you don't look weak. By the sounds of it, it would have been better to sit everyone down one by one or all together and told to shut up with the public and overt dissent. Also a reshuffle after 4 months isn't great optics. Discussion amongst the (shadow) cabinet is great, but there's a reason why the public shouldn't see it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Hehe, constant intercourse within the community.
:mad:

I basically agree that better living conditions, a sense of meaning and community will do a lot to ensure that people don't (and don't need) to turn to crime. But I can never quite shake the fear that some people are just assholes for a reason that maybe we aren't yet able to unpick - or maybe for obvious reasons. You can maybe ensure that a child has food and clothing and a roof over its head, but can you guarantee it a happy, stable, nurturing environment to grow up in? Are those things necessary to "goodness"? Life's too loving complicated, maaan.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

Re: Norway. They have little prison islands where the prisoners live independently in their own little houses with 2 or 3 other prisoners and are trained in real vocations. I think the guards aren't even on the island most of the time. It has a good record as I recall. One story that always sticks with me is a guy who murdered 2 or 3 people with a chainsaw being trained as a lumberjack while he was there. It just always tickled me in some dreadful way.
Tories should in theory love those because they make most of their own food and furniture and so they're cheap as gently caress to run after the initial inves... no wait I get why they want to load all prisoners onto container ships with no books now.

There are guards, but they go home at night. You do have to earn any entertainment privileges by being useful on the island, but even the most 'gently caress this' prisoners got into the swing of that after a few weeks.

I'm not sure how general the island prisons are within the Norwegian prison system though. I recall for the first one it was picked from volunteers from more conventional prisons, so they may have got the more well behaved types, but I don't know about any later ones.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Cerv posted:

i'll take that bet

Osborne will side with Cameron, Hammond will. May is the wildcard. She's the one who gets it in the neck over immigration. But she won't want to be seen to be the one who sticks the knife in Cameron's back. Ah bugger, are we counting IDS as a senior member? Yeah, he'll break for No.

Milotic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 6, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

I basically agree that better living conditions, a sense of meaning and community will do a lot to ensure that people don't (and don't need) to turn to crime. But I can never quite shake the fear that some people are just assholes for a reason that maybe we aren't yet able to unpick - or maybe for obvious reasons. You can maybe ensure that a child has food and clothing and a roof over its head, but can you guarantee it a happy, stable, nurturing environment to grow up in? Are those things necessary to "goodness"? Life's too loving complicated, maaan.

While we can drastically reduce the number of arseholes in the community, I personally think we'll never fully remove them (plus those who already exist at the time of the Glorious Communist Revolution), so there will always have to be some sort of way to detain them while trying to rehabilitate them,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Maybe some people are just assholes, but I would be willing to bet that there are far few people who are just assholes than there are people who become assholes by circumstance.

Milotic posted:

It's best to get through reshuffles quickly, so you can get back to communicating policy and also so you don't look weak. By the sounds of it, it would have been better to sit everyone down one by one or all together and told to shut up with the public and overt dissent. Also a reshuffle after 4 months isn't great optics. Discussion amongst the (shadow) cabinet is great, but there's a reason why the public shouldn't see it.

The public isn't seeing it, that's why the media are going insane. Unless you want Corbyn to arrange his meetings by dead drop and hire some body doubles to do his publicity work I don't know what else you can do to prevent it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe some people are just assholes, but I would be willing to bet that there are far few people who are just assholes than there are people who become assholes by circumstance.

100% agreed. I'm assuming the natural assholes are a minuscule percentage of the population.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Milotic posted:

Osborne will side with Cameron, Hammond will. May is the wildcard. She's the one who gets it in the next over immigration. But she won't want to be seen to be the one who sticks the knife in Cameron's back. Ah bugger, are we counting IDS as a senior member? Yeah, he'll break for No.

yeah, i was thinking we'd count DWP as senior. Health too, but I've no idea who's going to be in Hunt's job by the time the referendum comes round after the junior doctors strike

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Oberleutnant posted:

But then again maybe not. I've not had the opportunity to delve into this in any detail, it's just half-arsed thoughts.

Yeah, me too. I'll check out the Dostoevsky suggestion, thanks (and to everyone else) for the responses.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cerv posted:

yeah, i was thinking we'd count DWP as senior. Health too, but I've no idea who's going to be in Hunt's job by the time the referendum comes round after the junior doctors strike
Justice Leader of the Commons probably counts as "senior" too, and Grayling is a dead cert to campaign to leave.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

LemonDrizzle posted:

Justice Leader of the Commons probably counts as "senior" too, and Grayling is a dead cert to campaign to leave.

You could split hairs about it - Leader of the Commons is seems to be used as a sop you give to senior people you don't want around anymore. But yeah, IDS will certainly break my bet. I don't think Hunt will. He's a cannier politician than that, and he knows he needs to keep his mouth shut in order to keep his job if the strike goes ahead. Cameron does tend to reward loyalty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though as cameron's jumping ship soon I wonder if one of the other possible successor figures may attract a potential set of toadies if they campaign to leave.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Though as cameron's jumping ship soon I wonder if one of the other possible successor figures may attract a potential set of toadies if they campaign to leave.

Possibly. I don't think we'll see any blatant 'I could be leader' style speeches arising from it. Given the fairly equal split of the campaign, it would be a brave politician who hitched their leadership prospects to the success of one side or the other (though Cameron effectively has already in the case of a Leave vote). Also you'd end up pissing off half the party that you need to vote for you - in such a scenario it would be likely the Tories would end up with a compromise candidate as their leader.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

100% agreed. I'm assuming the natural assholes are a minuscule percentage of the population.

I imagine that percentage gets much much larger if you include unthinking assholes. Like the kind of person that gets super pissy when they offer a homeless person a coffee and get brushed off because he's just had one.

e/ I think what I'm getting at is, minority of real dickbags aside, how do you stop people thinking in terms of in and out groups? Is it possible for a community to hold its members to account for the way they think of people outside the community? I can't imagine so, because who would ever notice it to do anything about it?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 6, 2016

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Oberleutnant posted:

Social discipline is one of those really interesting points to consider when approaching Leftist thought because while the entire left is basically agreed on broad-stroke economics, approaches to individual liberty run the full gamut from anarchist conceptions of the inviolable sovereignty of the individual to full authoritarianism. I know UKMT is very leftist but I'd be surprised if any kind of thread consensus would emerge on that point for that reason.

A while ago when we were talking about Anarchism (like a month or two back) I remarked on what I considered the naive belief among anarchists that community opprobrium would be enough to regulate the behavior of its members without any coercive judicial power - basically peer pressure. I thought it unrealistic because I've basically never seen it work in my own experience - and I've lived for most of my life on exactly the sorts of grey, ugly council estates where one or two families cause endless misery for everybody else. But on reflection, I don't think I've ever lived in a "community" where I knew my neighbours, or felt in any way a part of a communal existence, and I think that's regarded as a fairly common complaint of modern life.
But in the sort of community envisaged by Anarchist and Communist thought - in which people are necessarily constantly engaged in their local community because there is no state superstructure - perhaps that constant intercourse within a community would be enough to promote the sort of civil solidarity that would be able to moderate the behaviour of the worst members.

This is a really informative post, thanks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Do you have any links for the Norway prison system? I knew a few of the broader details like the individual housing, but nothing about the details and it sounds pretty interesting.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's refreshing to see Corbyn purge his shadow cabinet of anyone representing a constituency north of the Watford Gap and packing it with Londoners instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Milotic posted:

You could split hairs about it - Leader of the Commons is seems to be used as a sop you give to senior people you don't want around anymore. But yeah, IDS will certainly break my bet. I don't think Hunt will. He's a cannier politician than that, and he knows he needs to keep his mouth shut in order to keep his job if the strike goes ahead. Cameron does tend to reward loyalty.

Leader of the Commons is the role for people who couldn't run a lemonade stand. Margaret Beckett was sacked from every ministerial role she had because of incompetence and ended up in the role.

• Locked thread