Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Arkham Horror is pretty darn long, innit. I mean I guess on the fifth playthrough it'll be pretty quick compared to the first (also we might get the rules right) but overall there is just soooo much extended mechanical stuff. It does feel like playing an RPG together, if that's what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Honestly Mombasa was hard to learn from the rulebook, too, playing a game of it where no one knew the rules going in.

I wanted to see how the cards worked, I really like Concordia and was looking for a new game with a hand management mechanic similar to it. Is Mombasa's at all similar?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EBag posted:

I wanted to see how the cards worked, I really like Concordia and was looking for a new game with a hand management mechanic similar to it. Is Mombasa's at all similar?

Yes, similar.

In essence, you have three (you get more later) piles you play cards into, choosing them in a way like dungeon lords. So, everyone chooses three cards face down, you flip them, take actions based on those cards, and move them up into these piles. Before you move the cards up, though, you choose one pile and put it back in your hand. So you want the same type of thing together, but then they end up in different piles and you have to work with that problem. It's very interesting. And the take-cards-back is similar to Concordia, you just don't get everything back.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Mombasa looks really fun but honestly the colonialism theme might be too much for me on this one. Even if I didn't mind it, I'd feel weird about pulling it out to play with other people.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

burger time posted:

Mombasa looks really fun but honestly the colonialism theme might be too much for me on this one.

That's fair. It's...very colonialism. Like, significantly moreso than Puerto Rico.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I enjoy playing Space Alert, but I find it too stressful to really be enjoyable. I'm fine with the time pressure in games like Galaxy Trucker, XCOM:TBG or any number of video games, but the constant yelling in Space Alert gets to me. I think it's caused by the constant panic Space Alert tries to create versus the more quiet "make a hard choice, but make it fast" atmosphere in XCOM or the like.

B-b-b-b-but.... star trek klaxons!

How else will you know that you're at red alert?!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Arkham Horror is pretty darn long, innit. I mean I guess on the fifth playthrough it'll be pretty quick compared to the first (also we might get the rules right) but overall there is just soooo much extended mechanical stuff. It does feel like playing an RPG together, if that's what they were going for.

Yeah I feel like Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror both give you the feeling of playing something like Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness, but without the narrative existing solely on the strengths of your roleplaying capability.

In the same way that games like Descent or Talisman almost give you a light D&D experience. You have characters, health, money, gear, and you even gain levels while killing monsters. But its more approachable and easygoing than hardcore D&D.

Arkham Horror is cool but stuff like flipping your stats around every turn just feels loving weird. It works as a mechanic but I don't consider it fun or interesting.

We'll see how I settle on Eldritch Horror after I've gotten a chance to play it with a group, but I like the changes they made from Arkham a lot.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 5, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Played a two player Valley of the Kings: Afterlife game last night. This was not only my first time playing it, but it's also babby's first deckbuilder (I have a sealed Dominion core set, but haven't cracked it open yet)

Wife and I both caught the strategy pretty quickly, and she ended up winning by 2 points at the end (!) I had more sets, but she had bigger sets including a full set of Tomb Art (for 49 points!) I'm really excited to play it again, now that I know what cards are out there and the sort of available combos.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

canyoneer posted:

Played a two player Valley of the Kings: Afterlife game last night. This was not only my first time playing it, but it's also babby's first deckbuilder (I have a sealed Dominion core set, but haven't cracked it open yet)

Wife and I both caught the strategy pretty quickly, and she ended up winning by 2 points at the end (!) I had more sets, but she had bigger sets including a full set of Tomb Art (for 49 points!) I'm really excited to play it again, now that I know what cards are out there and the sort of available combos.

Yeah, the market row aspect of VOTK makes it more important to know what stuff does. It's not like you're on a timer, but having a general buy order really helps you understand what stuff is useful when. That being said, the interactive aspect of the market row (crumbling, and shifting stuff with shabtis) alleviates a lot of the pitfalls of that mechanic. It's a really great game.

If you like VOTK then I recommend you try 2P Dominion as a comparison. It's a super solid game as well, and there's enough difference that it will be fresh compared to VOTK. One of those major differences is the kingdom supply mechanic, which means that the early game will allow you and your opponent to take similar strategies while being able to diversify as the game progresses. Not having guaranteed trashing is also different, and will make you think differently about deck composition (having to figure out rough expected hand values given your engine / strategy).

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Anonymous Robot posted:

For the record, yeah, I was thinking of Elder Sign. Which has what feels like the groundwork of a good game, but there isn't nearly enough you can do to mitigate the inherent randomness of it.

Elder Sign is not particularly good, especially compared to Eldritch Horror, but it's got fancy dice so get at them dice bro.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Puerto Rico in person rather than the ios app and it's way more fun filling up a ship and sailing off with it in person rather than on the rather so-so ios app which suffers too much from 'What the gently caress is that building again?'

Resource tokens could have been better differentiated rather than having two shades of brown though.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I don't mind Rahdo mostly because he doesn't look like he would smell gross.

I bet all the Dice Tower dudes smell really bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like Rahdo because you dont see Rahdo, the videos just focus on the games.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andarel posted:

Elder Sign is not particularly good, especially compared to Eldritch Horror, but it's got fancy dice so get at them dice bro.

I've played both board and app versions, and yeah, it's not a good game. It's like a tedious version of cooperative Yahtzee, and setting the loving thing up is a 20 minute investment in itself.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Indolent Bastard posted:

His rambling sounds like a coke head trying to do three things at once and it is really annoying I rarely watch his stuff and even then I skip around.

I made the mistake of trying to watch his video explaining Roll for the Galaxy because I was considering picking it up and absolutely couldn't follow him. He was all over the place, kept backtracking to cover rules he forgot, and by the end of the video I didn't understand the game anymore than I did before and I was worried about presenting the game to my friends.

Then I bought the game and looked at the <10 page rulebook and lol'ed.

The game wasn't 1/10th as complex as he made it seem with his jumbled presentation. I'll pass on his videos. I miss UvulaBob. :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I feel like Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror both give you the feeling of playing something like Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness, but without the narrative existing solely on the strengths of your roleplaying capability.

In the same way that games like Descent or Talisman almost give you a light D&D experience. You have characters, health, money, gear, and you even gain levels while killing monsters. But its more approachable and easygoing than hardcore D&D.

Arkham Horror is cool but stuff like flipping your stats around every turn just feels loving weird. It works as a mechanic but I don't consider it fun or interesting.

We'll see how I settle on Eldritch Horror after I've gotten a chance to play it with a group, but I like the changes they made from Arkham a lot.

If you are looking for a simulated "D&D" experience you would definitely enjoy Pathfinder Adventure cards. Apeing the trappings of a D&D game is its great strength, without needing a DM or a lot of prep time.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Rutibex posted:

If you are looking for a simulated "D&D" experience you would definitely enjoy Pathfinder Adventure cards. Apeing the trappings of a D&D game is its great strength, without needing a DM or a lot of prep time.

And without being a good game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

SynthOrange posted:

I like Rahdo because you dont see Rahdo, the videos just focus on the games.

You can see Rahdo sometimes, he looks like your friend's weird dad that would play Margaritaville on repeat too loud in the other room and constantly ask if you were playing Star Wars.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zaphod42 posted:

The klaxons aren't the problem, the problem is how my friends and I end up yelling at one another for ten minutes then dying immediately. It's fun, but stressful in a way that I don't want in a game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody played Arctic Scavengers? Shut up & Sit down seemed to be pretty keen on it, and a better version of a Dominion deck-building game sounds pretty nice.

Gloomhaven looks pretty cool, although from what I'm seeing it seems more like Descent than X-com.

It's not bad. I think I wrote a bit about it in the last thread.

Dominion is a better game overall but I burnt myself out on Dominion. If you're going to play Arctic Scavengers, I'd suggest throwing at least one of the built in 'expansion' modules to start. It can get a little monotonous otherwise. The end of round rumble is a cool idea and when it works, it works really well. However most of the time there isn't a lot you can do to influence the outcome once you see your hand. I know someone in the last thread brought up some technical issues, the rulebook is not always the best written.

If you can get it for less than $40 and like Dominion but want something different, I would go for it. The biggest issue I have with the game is that after I played the Warmachine: High Command deckbuilder I felt like that was what I wanted Arctic Scavengers to be.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I actually like Rahdo a lot, his Final Impressions videos tend to be much better and concise than his gameplay runthroughs. His Warhammer Quest video was surprisingly ordered and almost without mistakes as well!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Somberbrero posted:

It's not bad. I think I wrote a bit about it in the last thread.

Dominion is a better game overall but I burnt myself out on Dominion. If you're going to play Arctic Scavengers, I'd suggest throwing at least one of the built in 'expansion' modules to start. It can get a little monotonous otherwise. The end of round rumble is a cool idea and when it works, it works really well. However most of the time there isn't a lot you can do to influence the outcome once you see your hand. I know someone in the last thread brought up some technical issues, the rulebook is not always the best written.

If you can get it for less than $40 and like Dominion but want something different, I would go for it. The biggest issue I have with the game is that after I played the Warmachine: High Command deckbuilder I felt like that was what I wanted Arctic Scavengers to be.

Amazon has it with both of the expansions for like $35 which seems like a pretty drat good deal because that's how much the expansions are going for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Someone on the BGG boards realized Warmachine/Hordes High Command plays much better if you dump the part of the game where you pay to play your cards again after buying them. After doing some simple math it seems it was intended to work like this but they switched it to the way it is now just a bit before release and they didn't change the underlying formula. I have no idea if it makes it a better game but :lol: what a gently caress up, boys.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ShutteredIn posted:

I don't mind Rahdo mostly because he doesn't look like he would smell gross.

I bet all the Dice Tower dudes smell really bad.

SkeletonHero posted:

You can see Rahdo sometimes, he looks like your friend's weird dad that would play Margaritaville on repeat too loud in the other room and constantly ask if you were playing Star Wars.

Briefly met Rahdo while doing a thing for Mayfair at Gen Con. He seems like an alright sort when he's not talking a mile a minute. And he came the closest to a coherentdemo of High Frontier I've ever found (although a lot of his video is obsolete now with 3e).

Usually can't watch his videos, though. The shaky-cam makes me motion sick as hell.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I can't begin to take Rahdo seriously after watching him get choked up and drat near cry on camera while talking about Pandemic Legacy.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody played Arctic Scavengers? Shut up & Sit down seemed to be pretty keen on it, and a better version of a Dominion deck-building game sounds pretty nice.

It's like a really good pre-baked Kingdom for Dominion, with some additional direct conflict. It's not better than Dominion (no pure deckbuilder has stepped up to that yet) but it plays in the same league, which is pretty impressive considering how many lovely deckbuilders are in the world.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Gutter Owl posted:

Briefly met Rahdo while doing a thing for Mayfair at Gen Con. He seems like an alright sort when he's not talking a mile a minute. And he came the closest to a coherentdemo of High Frontier I've ever found (although a lot of his video is obsolete now with 3e).

Usually can't watch his videos, though. The shaky-cam makes me motion sick as hell.

Yes, but did he smell?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

burger time posted:

Mombasa looks really fun but honestly the colonialism theme might be too much for me on this one. Even if I didn't mind it, I'd feel weird about pulling it out to play with other people.

When I played a demo at Spiel the demonstrator said no less than three times that we weren't exploiting black people. It's not really overt that you are exploiting black people, mind you, but you definitely are exploiting them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

When I played a demo at Spiel the demonstrator said no less than three times that we weren't exploiting black people. It's not really overt that you are exploiting black people, mind you, but you definitely are exploiting them.

You can be sure, if you are working for a 17th century chartered company, that you are definitely exploiting someone .

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Jedit posted:

The more times you tell me I'm not exploiting black people the more I feel like I'm not exploiting black people. That's just basic fact!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

It's called Mombasa and the cover art is a white dude writing in a ledger, with some diamonds and models of British officers on his desk. A window in front of him shows black people doing manual labor. How much more overt do you want?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Scyther posted:

I can't begin to take Rahdo seriously after watching him get choked up and drat near cry on camera while talking about Pandemic Legacy.

His rant about the slave cards in Five Tribes was "better".

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

*Thinks nervously about the plays of Endeavor, Puerto Rico, and Mombasa he really enjoyed.*

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ShutteredIn posted:

Yes, but did he smell?

Gutter Owl posted:

at Gen Con.

Buddy, if you can actually parse the omnidirectional high-summer nerd-funk at GC well enough to assign individual stenches to individual goobers, you are a finer connoisseur of bodysmells than I ever intend to be.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

gently caress the stinky gamer guy that inevitably shows up to every public board game gathering. I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of things, but stinky unshowered gamer funk is not one of them. :argh:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If you guys don't like The Dice Tower or Radho or all them, then I suggest you support Watch It Played's next fundraiser, whenever that happens. It's the best internet board gaming media we have by a country mile, and if he can continue to make more of it, maybe the others will have to get better to be less lovely to compete. (Spoiler, probably not going to happen.)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gutter Owl posted:

He now always has a non shake version if you look up the video on YouTube.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I bought gloom for my girlfriend and then we played it. its... fun I guess. there's no real strategy. at least the art work is cool! maybe the storytelling variant would be more fun? overall it was ok, I know I'm gonna have to play it again, but sometimes it's nice to shut the ol brain off and laugh.

that being said, guillotine is my "take that" game of choice.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

There's not a ton of gameplay, but the storytelling variant is where it's at. Gets you the bonus silliness that the game really wants.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Magnetic North posted:

If you guys don't like The Dice Tower or Radho or all them, then I suggest you support Watch It Played's next fundraiser, whenever that happens. It's the best internet board gaming media we have by a country mile, and if he can continue to make more of it, maybe the others will have to get better to be less lovely to compete. (Spoiler, probably not going to happen.)

I agree, Rodney and his format is the most comprehensive and approachable by far. The only critique I have of him is that his release schedule is pretty slow, but that's a given really since he seems to be a one man operation. I know once or twice he did brief overviews but never a full how to play for a game I wanted to learn so I had to depend on some other source to see it in depth, and this was months after he put up the initial look for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MrDru posted:

I bought gloom for my girlfriend and then we played it. its... fun I guess. there's no real strategy. at least the art work is cool! maybe the storytelling variant would be more fun? overall it was ok, I know I'm gonna have to play it again, but sometimes it's nice to shut the ol brain off and laugh.

that being said, guillotine is my "take that" game of choice.

I wouldnt even call Gloom a "game", there is almost nothing there at all. It's not even a good experience generator, you could just as soon draw random cards from a deck and make up stories about the Jack of Diamonds.