Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So does Oath of Gideon work with flipwalkers or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Of course it does.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

So does Oath of Gideon work with flipwalkers or not?

Yes, they exit the battlefield when the flip condition is met.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Nope I'm going to play it as a 5 or 6 drop, kill a creature with bolt/terminate/decay, get a token. You know Olivia doesn't have an ETB effect, she just shoots things and adds counters and she is a very good card right?

If you're playing it as a 5 or 6 drop why aren't you just playing Thragtusk

Why are you playing a 5 or 6 drop in Jund at all for that matter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

I'm not as silly as you to make absolute statements about cards. You know I'm right that the 4cmc slot is a flex spot and while it is good enough to see play in Jund in no way is it the next Goyf that is a 4 of autoinclude. Some people may play it over Huntmaster. They may also play it instead of Olivia, or instead of P&K. Jund has a lot of good options at the 4cmc flex spot, and this is one of them. Also I take it you aren't interested in that bet because you know I'm correct?

Yes, the 4 CMC spot is a flex spot, for other cards that are much better that this card. Like P&K, Olivia, Huntmaster and Baloth. the floor on that bet is so low that it shows you have no confidence in it. It could be a 1 of in a SB that never gets played. I would bet that it doesn't show up in a Jund top 8 list of a GP, Pro Tour or SCG Open for the next year. That is much more reasonable.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Infect is consistent, and can get t2 kills some amount of the time, but infect can be interacted with in tons of ways:
1)Countermagic
2)Burn
3)Dismember
4)Land D
5) Spellskite
6) bounce
7) discard
8)Abrupt Decay

Whereas Amulet can only REALLY be interacted with via:
1)Countermagic
2)Land D
3)Discard
4)Abrupt Decay

(Neither list is completely exhaustive, but the point stands)

This leaves entire classes of decks unable to do anything against amulet should the deck get a combo. Almost every deck in modern has some means to interact with Infect, and at their very worst can just run spellskite.

Amulet to consistently kills turn 3 or before and to few decks have a meaningful way to interact. For that reason, if nothing else I fully expect it to get hit with the banhammer in some fashion. I hope Amulet itself eats the ban.
Your list of interactions is utter bullshit. Bloom's turn 2 kills involve Hive Mind significantly less than 10% of the total times it t2s. Primetime is very interactable.

Hell, even spellskite will stop Slayers Stronghold enabled t2 kills cold.

Like the deck engenders a fear in opponents far beyond what is reasonable. I've had a guy Fulminator me , then K command hitting the amulet, picking up the fulminator, then fulminatoring me at least twice more. He was playing wildly scared the whole time, like at any moment I'd topdeck the win. I never had more than 4 mana in play at once.

I don't want that fear to cause the ban.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reminder that mcmagic just won a bet with legacy grandmaster black potus and also that you're pants on head retarded if you think the 3/4 with no immediate value and no immediate game win on untap is going to do anything

You can cast a removal spell, exile a creature and get a token with it which is relevant in a format with creatures that have effects that require them to hit the GY. Terminating finks, wurmcoil, ravager to get them exiled is immediate gain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

You can cast a removal spell, exile a creature and get a token with it which is relevant in a format with creatures that have effects that require them to hit the GY. Terminating finks, wurmcoil, ravager to get them exiled is immediate gain.

Jund doesn't want either player to have a loving hand by the point in time you're talking about

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Yes, the 4 CMC spot is a flex spot, for other cards that are much better that this card. Like P&K, Olivia, Huntmaster and Baloth. the floor on that bet is so low that it shows you have no confidence in it. It could be a 1 of in a SB that never gets played. I would bet that it doesn't show up in a Jund top 8 list of a GP, Pro Tour or SCG Open for the next year. That is much more reasonable.

Honestly I'm not confident that Jund will show up in a top 8 in the next year. The format is moving to a place where Jund itself is less powerful than it was. Bloom, Tron and the new Eldrazi deck are very bad for Jund.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Exiling Ravager does nothing.

jassi007 posted:

Honestly I'm not confident that Jund will show up in a top 8 in the next year. The format is moving to a place where Jund itself is less powerful than it was. Bloom, Tron and the new Eldrazi deck are very bad for Jund.

If there isn't one Jund deck in the Top 8 of a GP, PT or SCG Open then the bet is void.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Exiling Ravager does nothing.

Wrong, modular requires ravager to hit the GY. If it exiled the effect doesn't happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Wrong, modular requires ravager to hit the GY. If it exiled the effect doesn't happen.

How would that possibly happen if you're playing against someone who has even the slightest idea how to play affinity?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

How would that possibly happen if you're playing against someone who has even the slightest idea how to play affinity?

I'm still correct, if it gets exiled the modular effect doesn't happen. :)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Booklegger posted:

Your list of interactions is utter bullshit. Bloom's turn 2 kills involve Hive Mind significantly less than 10% of the total times it t2s. Primetime is very interactable.

Hell, even spellskite will stop Slayers Stronghold enabled t2 kills cold.

Like the deck engenders a fear in opponents far beyond what is reasonable. I've had a guy Fulminator me , then K command hitting the amulet, picking up the fulminator, then fulminatoring me at least twice more. He was playing wildly scared the whole time, like at any moment I'd topdeck the win. I never had more than 4 mana in play at once.

I don't want that fear to cause the ban.

Someone did that math and Bloom has a ~20% T2/T3 win rate, which corresponds pretty closely to where Storm was at when it got hit with a ban. I think you're going to have a tough time if the main argument in favor of the deck is "well you can terminate Prime Time." The deck has 2 win conditions, both of which are set up to be impossible to interact with.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I'm still correct, if it gets exiled the modular effect doesn't happen. :)

Yeah and if my opponents all concede cause they are too scared to play me I win all my matches... That's about how relevant that interaction is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Look mcmagic's probably 100% right on this one, can you guys just take this to PMs or something if you want to keep the slapfight going

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jund doesn't want either player to have a loving hand by the point in time you're talking about

Yeah this was kinda my entire point. Neither play should have much of a hand by the time you play this guy so you'd rather have Olivia, who untaps and wins the game, Huntmeister who untaps and wins the game, or helicopter parents who untap and present a huge wall, not a 3/4 who needs other specific cards and even if you do have those card he makes a 2/2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

IDK if it's been said here before but the card you should look for in Modern Jund from this set is Oath of Nissa.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope to understand this game well enough to predict anything as boldly as McMagic. I can't even predict my opponents turns.

Anyone else ever come up with a plan on your opponent's turn, forget about that plan entirely on your own turn, begin a new, worse plan that includes the cards from the better plan but used in a worse way, and then feel like an idiot when you realize the weight of your punt?

I keep a punt counter on top of my libray to remember to slow the gently caress down.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mcmagic posted:

IDK if it's been said here before but the card you should look for in Modern Jund from this set is Oath of Nissa.

You don't think it's a problem that it can't hit removal spells?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

End of Life Guy posted:

I hope to understand this game well enough to predict anything as boldly as McMagic. I can't even predict my opponents turns.

Anyone else ever come up with a plan on your opponent's turn, forget about that plan entirely on your own turn, begin a new, worse plan that includes the cards from the better plan but used in a worse way, and then feel like an idiot when your punt is revealed?

I keep a punt counter on top of my libray to remember to slow the gently caress down.

I'm not all that great and I don't understand the game all that well. This is just a no brainer.

little munchkin posted:

You don't think it's a problem that it can't hit removal spells?

That is definitely a downside to it. I still think it will see at least a little play though.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 5, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

Anyone else ever come up with a plan on your opponent's turn, forget about that plan entirely on your own turn, begin a new, worse plan that includes the cards from the better plan but used in a worse way, and then feel like an idiot when you realize the weight of your punt?

I lose games all the time because I formulate a brilliant, game-ending plan, then forget what I'm doing and do the exact wrong thing by the time it's my turn.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reminder that mcmagic just won a bet with legacy grandmaster black potus and also that you're pants on head retarded if you think the 3/4 with no immediate value and no immediate game win on untap is going to do anything

I mean jund has played 2BR 3/3 flyings with no immediate value v:shobon:v.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

suicidesteve posted:

I lose games all the time because I formulate a brilliant, game-ending plan, then forget what I'm doing and do the exact wrong thing by the time it's my turn.

I have a similar process for trying to win and subsequently losing games, except I skip the first part of coming up with a good plan and just go straight to doing the exact wrong thing no matter what. It's very reliable so far.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

I mean jund has played 2BR 3/3 flyings with no immediate value v:shobon:v.

It does threaten to win after untap more so than this new 3/4.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I have a similar process for trying to win and subsequently losing games, except I skip the first part of coming up with a good plan and just go straight to doing the exact wrong thing no matter what. It's very reliable so far.

Play aggro, turn dudes sideways. Because it needs no brains or plans, you never need to worry about making the wrong play. :smug:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think Cletus's incidental anti-ravager/anti-persist clause isn't nothing at least.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 5, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I think Cletus's incidental anti-ravager/anti-persist clause isn't nothing at least.

Much more relevant in standard where it could be a replacement for Anafenza against Rally or Nantuko Husk decks after Rally rotates... It does hose that pretty well.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If that Processor deck ends up being as good as people say it is (haven't played it yet), I wonder if Jund players will start turning to Abzan a little more. Abzan has a lot better hate options out of the board than Jund does. Leyline of Sanctity, Stony Silence, etc. all seem pretty good against that deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

If that Processor deck ends up being as good as people say it is (haven't played it yet), I wonder if Jund players will start turning to Abzan a little more. Abzan has a lot better hate options out of the board than Jund does. Leyline of Sanctity, Stony Silence, etc. all seem pretty good against that deck.

I think if you are playing either deck in full the price of switch from jund to junk or vice versa is pretty nill.

I have been playing switching between jund and junk a lot lately. Just depends on how much you like lightening bolt, terminate, kolo, and cheap sweepers out of the board. Junk is for sure a lot easier to play in my opinion.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Leyline of Sanctity blanks their discard and little else so that's not super good. Stony Silence on the other hand is ok, but if they anticipate it and side out some of their relic effects it's not going to be doing much.

And neither of those stop the deck from just dropping efficient fatty after efficient fatty.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003
I figure this thread has more "better" players than brew house.

What removal/discard package so you goons think would be ideal for GP Oakland? I'm running esper Dragons

Currently in running:

4 duress
3 ultimate price
1 complete disregard
2 crux
2 utter end
3 foul tongue

Currently have a hard time with ramp

2 transgress sideboard?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Leyline of Sanctity blanks their discard and little else so that's not super good. Stony Silence on the other hand is ok, but if they anticipate it and side out some of their relic effects it's not going to be doing much.

And neither of those stop from just dropping efficient fatty after efficient fatty.
It blanks Oblivion Sower too as well as the ability to repetitively use Relic or Scrabbling Claws, not to mention Wasteland Strangler isn't great against Tarmogoyf or Lingering Souls anyways. I haven't gotten a chance to play against it yet, but it doesn't really seem like its more efficient than Jund/Junk without the processing ability.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 5, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
nm

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tarmogoyf and Lingering Souls aren't very good against the 6 relic deck though.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Artbook spoiled how the 'plot' ends again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'm 100% correct that McMagic is between 20% and 80% correct.

e: also wow that's really dumb. They won because they used fire. Jesus wept, Wizards, fire Creative.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 5, 2016

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hello Magic thread. I have recently been given the Meren Commander deck as a gift. I began tinkering with it, and found I have some rules questions.

1. If I have Meren and 3 creatures out and the opponent wipes the board, do I get 0 or 3 experience counters?
2. I have Catacomb Sifter and Sakura-Tribe Elder on the battlefield. I sac the Elder to search for a land. Do I Scry 1 before or after the searching for a land?
3. I target the ETB effect of Duplicant at someone's Commander. He chooses to move it to the command zone instead. What is the P/T of Duplicant?
4. Also on Duplicant, is the card permanently exiled that it hits with the ETB effect when Duplicant dies?
5. My opponent controls Vigor and a 1/1. I swing with a 4/4 Trample and he blocks with the 1/1. Am I allowed to assign 1 combat damage to the 1/1 and the rest to the player, or do I have to assign all 4 to the creature?
6. My friend is playing Ezuri, Claw of Progress He plays a Bonehoard with 3 creatures in the graveyard. Does he get an experience counter?

I think that's everything

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
This 4/4 non-flash non-self targetting split clique seems really nice:

Probably a better 4-drop than Cletus in modern or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

seems good in standard and good in modern eldrazi if that continues to be a real deck

e: fu zones

• Locked thread