Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

A good player would pay attention to his minimap and keep an eye out for bombers. :smug:

oh, im very aware of the bombers
too bad you can't do jack poo poo about 152 knot turn on a dime midway bombers since every manuever you take is just one second of adjustment from the bombers before they make a perfect run on you

at least the torps are slower and no more perfect parallel torps on manual drops now, and barrage fire makes stacking the TBs on each other really risky, i mean I can dodge them in a DD much better now since its not the virtually 0 arming distance, super fast and perfectly parallel torps drops of OBT, but I feel the pain in my Amagi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Hazdoc posted:

poi poi poi poi poi

Fix'd it

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I really love how he declares the Cleveland the lord saviour of all ships ever and that battleships have no chance against it.

I eat Clevelands for breakfast with the Kongo and Nagato btw.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

oh, im very aware of the bombers
too bad you can't do jack poo poo about 152 knot turn on a dime midway bombers since every manuever you take is just one second of adjustment from the bombers before they make a perfect run on you

at least the torps are slower and no more perfect parallel torps on manual drops now, and barrage fire makes stacking the TBs on each other really risky, i mean I can dodge them in a DD much better now since its not the virtually 0 arming distance, super fast and perfectly parallel torps drops of OBT, but I feel the pain in my Amagi

In all fairness, I believe that those who make it to high tiers with carriers are probably better players too. A bad player grinding carriers can't do poo poo at tier 7 and above since at those levels AA is pretty effective and BB players are usually more aware of how to deal with TB's by then. Therefore I can easily believe that at tier 8 and above, gently caress sky cancers!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Posting to say that the New Mexico is an extremely good ship, one of the best in the US BB line

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Huh, my Mikasa from the ornament contest came with a week's worth of premium.

Also still haven't heard back from support, guess they're still hung over from new years'.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Pacra posted:

Posting to say that the New Mexico is an extremely good ship, one of the best in the US BB line

but.. but.. have you not seen the video earlier? It can't even pen a cleveland at close range. Its a side upgrade from the New York, clearly!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
haha, played some of my new mexico hunting for DD kills, and I hit some glancing shots on a furutaka, and they ricocheted. But he was sharply angled. I put the next ones higher, and into his deck, citadeled through the bow. BITCH PLEASE

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

haha, played some of my new mexico hunting for DD kills, and I hit some glancing shots on a furutaka, and they ricocheted. But he was sharply angled. I put the next ones higher, and into his deck, citadeled through the bow. BITCH PLEASE

please post your .wowsreplay for NTRabbit's benefit. He can spend a few hours studying that shot and finally be able to sink cruisers at point blank range.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Hazdoc posted:

:rolleyes: yeah, a low quality video with buggy interface and turrets facing the wrong way when they fire. I'm definitely going to take that at face value.

I get really lovely quality with Fraps for some reason and switched to MSI Afterburner where it was much better. Fraps bogged down the computer too which was odd because it is not that large of a program but ended up being a hog nonetheless. I switched to AB years ago though.

Of course he can always post up the raw replay and people can tear it apart frame by frame looking for some conspiracy too.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I don't know why everyone's all up in arms. NtRabbit is exactly the type of battleship I love seeing in my destroyers/cruisers... as long as he isn't in my division, he's just like the majority of the players in the game, completely unaware of where to aim. Old news.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

demonR6 posted:

I get really lovely quality with Fraps for some reason and switched to MSI Afterburner where it was much better. Fraps bogged down the computer too which was odd because it is not that large of a program but ended up being a hog nonetheless. I switched to AB years ago though.

Of course he can always post up the raw replay and people can tear it apart frame by frame looking for some conspiracy too.

The method that FRAPS uses to record video is basically garbage compared to more modern choices like (Afterburner/Shadowplay/DxTORY) which take advantage of built in encoders on your GPU to do the job transparently with no performance loss.

You do still need a hard disk with enough throughput to handle the recording, depending on the quality level you choose, but so long as you are recording to a disk different than the one you have your OS on you'll rarely if ever see issues.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That would explain why it is garbage then.. thanks for clearing that up!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

demonR6 posted:

All that getting the replay would confirm is that he aimed very poorly and fired into a part of the Furutaka that was sharply angled, guaranteeing ricochets. Shells that strike armor at a 30 degree angle or lower will always bounce. 30 degrees to 44 degrees is a RNG chance of the shell managing to normalize and pen, with obviously a better chance the better the angle. 45 degree angle hits and wider will never bounce, and always attempt to penetrate the armor.

He may have gotten unlucky with a bunch of rolls for attempts to normalize and failed, but he could have simply avoided even taking that chance by firing into the bow of the ship or even into the deck. Another shell property is break-through, where a shell automatically pens, no matter the angle of impact, if the steel thickness it faces is 1/14.3th the caliber of the AP shell. Superstructure is almost unarmored, meaning a thickness of around 1-5mm, so most shells autopen it, and BB AP will almost certainly never get armed from passing through superstructure, meaning overpens. Decks are also fairly unarmored, especially at the lower tiers, meaning he could have achieved break-through from a deck hit, allowing him a chance for his shell to pass into the center of the ship and drop into a citadel, or just defeat enough armor to arm and explode for a normal pen. Rarely do shells overpen from bow to stern, even against DDs.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's hard for me to see in that video what happened, I can barely tell when he shot other than the incapacitation message that popped up. Maybe MREBoy can get us one of those crazy tracers he was working on and we can see the shell travel..

Your explanation makes sense to me now and the more detail about it helps.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm all alone on this flank, and their slow ships are still far away. Might as well dump my short reload torps and see if I can catch some poor DD unaw-- OH HAI :commissar:

We never even saw each other, poor bastard (also playing a Mahan) was just really unlucky :D

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
I loved the gnevny, it felt like a minekaze but with guns instead of torps. You could quickly dodge CAs if you came to close. But the ognevoi feels completely different. I've run into random torps because its so slow. I guess its more similiar to the Kiev and I need to change game style to be more of a long range sniping rear end hole.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hazdoc posted:

Shells that strike armor at a 30 degree angle or lower will always bounce...Another shell property is break-through, where a shell automatically pens, no matter the angle of impact, if the steel thickness it faces is 1/14.3th the caliber of the AP shell.

Which of these two things is true?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Over-match is the exception to the "always bounce beyond the critical angle" rule.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I've come to the conclusion that carrier gameplay isn't for me. Eh, at least you get the plane kills together fast with the fighter-setup Bogue. Had a match right now with me and a Hoshou vs another Hoshou and a strike-setup Bogue. 47 plane kills and first Clear Sky I've ever gotten. Even got a divebomber kill on a near-dead Omaha. 2600xp 170k credit daily on a fighter loadout is kinda funny.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Phanatic posted:

...both of them?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

demonR6 posted:

It's hard for me to see in that video what happened, I can barely tell when he shot other than the incapacitation message that popped up. Maybe MREBoy can get us one of those crazy tracers he was working on and we can see the shell travel..

Your explanation makes sense to me now and the more detail about it helps.

I give you - Tracer Type ORL (for Obvious Red Line)

http://www.mreboy.com/wows/res_mods.zip

Just for giggles I put the No Smoke version in there too, you just have to navigate down the folder structure till you find the actual files (i.e. \World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.5.2.1\particles\trails) and rename it if you want to use it.

Install is just dropping it into your WoWs folder, it may prompt to overwrite Trail_smoke.dds

And in further news, I may have figured out the files that make up the 3 types of anti-aircraft fire. Colored laser AA anyone ? :getin:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Honestly, this is one of the few games where I don't have any trouble figuring out where my shots are going.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Phanatic posted:

gee, i wonder

quote:

no matter the angle of impact
hmm

Breakthrough doesn't even take the angle at which it strikes the armor into account. It's straight up a test of steel thickness vs shell caliber. If the steel thickness is 1/14.3th of the shell caliber or less, the shell penetrates without making any checks. So, a 127mm shell achieves breakthrough on armor of a thickness of 8.8mm or smaller. This is important, not only with regards to the normalization check and ricochet mechanics. The armor will be treated as, say, 8.8mm with the breakthrough, when if it was 9mm, the shell could impact at 45 degrees and then make a penetration attempt after some normalization. However, since the shell is hitting at an angle, it must defeat more than just 9mm of armor (I'm not doing the math right now, ugh), which also assists in arming the AP shell and avoiding an overpen scenario. If a shell achieves breakthrough, its also going to be much less likely to get armed as it passes through the ship than a shell that made a penetration check when it struck the armor.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

I give you - Tracer Type ORL (for Obvious Red Line)

http://www.mreboy.com/wows/res_mods.zip

Just for giggles I put the No Smoke version in there too, you just have to navigate down the folder structure till you find the actual files (i.e. \World_of_Warships\res_mods\0.5.2.1\particles\trails) and rename it if you want to use it.

Install is just dropping it into your WoWs folder, it may prompt to overwrite Trail_smoke.dds

And in further news, I may have figured out the files that make up the 3 types of anti-aircraft fire. Colored laser AA anyone ? :getin:

HAHAHAHA I can't wait to try this. And lasers fit right in with super anime hentai FOG ships! Well they don't but gently caress it, lasers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-battles-season-3/

Biggest takeaways from the new ranked season is that the final matchmaking tier is now 1-10. Faster queues and more bad players to feed on (or make up your team, oh my!). Top reward is the same as last time, 100 type 3 camos, 10 mil credits, and the Jolly Roger flag, along with a slew of flags. Every new rank carries a reward, including some of the new flags, and one step has a day of premium time attached. Rank 3 is 3 million credits again. Rank 10 is no longer irrevocable. T5-6 for the early tiers again, but T7-8 starts earlier, at Rank 15.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/ranked-battles-season-3/

Biggest takeaways from the new ranked season is that the final matchmaking tier is now 1-10. Faster queues and more bad players to feed on (or make up your team, oh my!). Top reward is the same as last time, 100 type 3 camos, 10 mil credits, and the Jolly Roger flag, along with a slew of flags. Every new rank carries a reward, including some of the new flags, and one step has a day of premium time attached. Rank 3 is 3 million credits again. Rank 10 is no longer irrevocable. T5-6 for the early tiers again, but T7-8 starts earlier, at Rank 15.

Wait.. what? Rank 10 is no longer irrevocable? Meaning if we reach it and start losing, we can go back down the ranks again?
Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will never reach rank 1. :cripes:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Today I learned you can report bots in Co-op mode for being bots.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
With the new buffs to torpedoes, I may be sinking a grand in doubloons on retraining my Shimakaze captain to the Fubuki for this season. I'm not keen on rebuying a Benson, though I'll see what I can do in the Amagi before I make that decision. I much prefer DD play in ranked to BB or CA play. I need cash if I want to take the Mogami out, which is another choice.
No, I'm not going to even consider free exp'ing to a Lexington for ranked. gently caress CVS

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CVs aren't great in Ranked anyways. The tiers fall in the period where they're weakest, and most teams mainly stick together in a reasonably close block, meaning overlapping AA coverage.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, I think I just hit peak pubbie. Look at the average damage of this specimen. Guy managed to throw a match because even with the whole team telling him to go back to base and decap (while he was the only one close enough) for over a minute, he just kept going along the map boder doing nothing. At the time, were 9 vs 2 in terms of ships still on the field. :suicide:

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 6, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Do ranked games give more XP/Credits or something? I mean on top of the rank rewards.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

Do ranked games give more XP/Credits or something? I mean on top of the rank rewards.

Not really, but each point of damage you deal is a greater percentage of damage to enemies, and every match is a multicap game. There's a lot more chances to earn experience and in greater numbers, so if you typically do well, you'll see more XP and credits as a result.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

saihttam posted:

I loved the gnevny, it felt like a minekaze but with guns instead of torps. You could quickly dodge CAs if you came to close. But the ognevoi feels completely different. I've run into random torps because its so slow. I guess its more similiar to the Kiev and I need to change game style to be more of a long range sniping rear end hole.

The Kiev is way better. It flies along at like 42.5 knots, and you have 50% more guns than the Og. Plus if you do come around an island and ambush a dumb BB or Cruiser, you get to Peter North them with a full 10 torp barrage.

I had a game in it last night where everyone was trying to kill me (probably because of the dumb Myoko mission) and I think I took one hit from the hundreds fired at me. Sank two cruisers and did a total of like 70k, and I didnt even think it was that good of a game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Whoever decided a mission to kill a rare class that can control the terms of the engagement and disengage if they want with no recourse was a good idea should be defenestrated right onto whoever decided keeping the ability to see when there is a giant island in the way or your are literally in the middle of a smoke screen, and that guy should be onto the guy who decided to sell the flavor of the month premium destroyer with a tiering decision that just so happens to leave gremyaschy drivers without their ship but a very similar ship available if you just go to the store.

What I'm saying is I don't know if the osha safety color tramp stamp cruiser is actually worth fighting off every kill stealing mouth breather for destroyer kills.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

Whoever decided a mission to kill a rare class that can control the terms of the engagement and disengage if they want with no recourse was a good idea should be defenestrated right onto whoever decided keeping the ability to see when there is a giant island in the way or your are literally in the middle of a smoke screen, and that guy should be onto the guy who decided to sell the flavor of the month premium destroyer with a tiering decision that just so happens to leave gremyaschy drivers without their ship but a very similar ship available if you just go to the store.

What I'm saying is I don't know if the osha safety color tramp stamp cruiser is actually worth fighting off every kill stealing mouth breather for destroyer kills.

oh please dds are easy peasy kills
...if you're a guy who plays tons of DDs yourself and runs around in a fletcher doing bad things to bad DDs

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

oh please dds are easy peasy kills
...if you're a guy who plays tons of DDs yourself and runs around in a fletcher doing bad things to bad DDs

I try to do that but every single loving DD on the night has been hiding up the rear end of at least one if not five ROF cruisers. Nobody wants to get in a DD duel they just want to make a showcase of the most profoundly hosed mechanic in the game.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

DD kills really aren't that bad. Just pick them up when you can, you have two months. Eventually you'll get weird games like today where I had four DDs suicide into my Battleship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, today's just extra bad, I can even drive a stock fuso up on a destroyer just to have somebody with an odd number of grandparents finally figure out the left mouse button right before my second salvo comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Two of those Devastating Strikes were DDs that closed on me at <5km while I had my guns pointed at them.