Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Il!? Are they going to switch exclusively to Italian shows?

Maybe Kojima had a new job lined up all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

But Ms Carr explained the three bars were chosen because the new channel is founded on three principles which underpin everything it does.
"The first is 'make me think'... The second is 'make me laugh'... The third, the exclamation mark, is 'give me a voice', which is what we will do for young people," she said.

gently caress OFF

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got really excited a moment until I read the other half of that sentence.

Having not read the book although knowing a bit about the napolionic wars, War and Peace was amazing. The production values are through the roof and it is very beautiful in cinematography and set/location filming. The costumes are great and the cast is good.

First episode established the characters and set the scene with a nice battle sequence. Really looking forward to the other 5 episodes.

I made a thread for it because i saw no discussion of it in tviv, then I remembered to check this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758871

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

gently caress OFF

That is some high quality marketing-ese.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

I'm just looking at my Ideal DVD's on the shelf and feeling incredibly sad all of a sudden :smith:.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

The joke is that that quote comes directly after the comparison to W1A and their shiting marketing-ese speak.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

drunkill posted:

Having not read the book although knowing a bit about the napolionic wars, War and Peace was amazing. The production values are through the roof and it is very beautiful in cinematography and set/location filming. The costumes are great and the cast is good.

First episode established the characters and set the scene with a nice battle sequence. Really looking forward to the other 5 episodes.

I made a thread for it because i saw no discussion of it in tviv, then I remembered to check this thread.

I think his "second half of the sentence" was referring to the guy calling it a fantasy series (which it is not)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the whole thing is a post-ironic deconstruction of the media and they're going to release a secret camera documentary series in a few months time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

I think his "second half of the sentence" was referring to the guy calling it a fantasy series (which it is not)

Nope, the 2nd biggest Invasion of Russia and the climax of the Napoleonic Wars is not fantasy, despite how silly the people looked. I didn't look too much into it, but at the time I assumed it was some Fantasy series called War And Peace.

I'm watching the old BBC War And Peace on YouTube and my god is so so terribly dry. Fantastic looking but so very very stilted and dry.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rondette posted:

gently caress OFF

See the thing is they could probably have done that even with the three bars motief but the thing is far too uneven with the BBC Text. It ether needs to be bigger than the text (I suggest, then, making it vertical and 86'ing the excalmation point) or matching in size with the BBC Boxes.

But at this point I'm convinced that working at BBC Three is akin in finding yourself in a Kafka story so...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

Dear gosh. One would think that people in the British culture-related thread, at least, would be able to recognize someone being dry. I even asked for no spoilers on a 150 year old book at the end.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Rondette posted:

But Ms Carr explained the three bars were chosen because the new channel is founded on three principles which underpin everything it does. 
"The first is 'make me think'... The second is 'make me laugh'... The third, the exclamation mark, is 'give me a voice', which is what we will do for young people," she said.

:barf:

Channel branding makes me want to take a lye bath. Everyone involved in this belongs in the bin.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Megazver posted:

Dear gosh. One would think that people in the British culture-related thread, at least, would be able to recognize someone being dry. I even asked for no spoilers on a 150 year old book at the end.

I thought you were very funny.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the latest in the Death of a Pramface SaGa; BBC 3 gets a new logo and god is it both ugly and stupid.

Oh well, it'll all be online soon and nobody will ever hear about it again.

I'm sure going to miss watching the same dozen episodes of Family Guy and American Dad over and over.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

netally posted:

I'm sure going to miss watching the same dozen episodes of Family Guy and American Dad over and over.

I watched one of those Reggie Yates documentaries off the back of this thread (the body building one) and was really impressed. I only knew of him from Release the Hounds but he is a really good interviewer.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought you were very funny.

EH, I'LL TAKE IT.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

netally posted:

Under/Over on it being disconitnued on Iplayer?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm kinda sad that BBC3 is totally getting the bumpoff, because it means the BBC will forever now just be Doctor Who, Eastenders and Strictly.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Jon Snow seems drat angry talking to some conservative US wingnut about guns. Even used the word "nutters" which confused the chap no end

e: drat, Jon Snow updating the gun death statistics in real-time while talking to that guy. Savage.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm kinda sad that BBC3 is totally getting the bumpoff, because it means the BBC will forever now just be Doctor Who, Eastenders and Strictly.

There will still be 4, showing hour long uncut sleigh rides, etc and that floppy haired art critic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Megazver posted:

EH, I'LL TAKE IT.

Oh I was legit serious. The downside of text is that you can't tell if that (or even this :timfoil:) is sarcasm.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This is why we have helpful image macros to go alongside, apparently.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

drunkill posted:

Good OP, will check this out. Also Tuppence Middleton is a funny-as-gently caress name, good on her parents.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If this isnae the perfect time tae watch Sarcasmaholics Anonymous again, I dinnae what is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcOfFeKXcd4

"...Was that sarcasm?"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rondette posted:

I watched one of those Reggie Yates documentaries off the back of this thread (the body building one) and was really impressed. I only knew of him from Release the Hounds but he is a really good interviewer.

He is awesome. Hoping he gets picked up by another channel and not stuck on online hell.

Still, doesn't redeem the channel that brought us Hotter Than My Daughter. Youths :argh:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm glad Tattoo Fixers is back. Caught it by accident on holiday last year and it's just great.

It amazes me how many people think tattoos of loving stick people are a good idea. Or hashtags. Terrible portraits are the best ones though. And the people who can't resist silly joke tattoos and regret it

Fake edit: that's stick people loving I mean there. And pissing, or anything else you can think of. If it's lewd or crude, someone has got a picture of a stick man doing it somewhere on them

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the latest in the Death of a Pramface SaGa; BBC 3 gets a new logo and god is it both ugly and stupid.

its UPSIDE DOWNNNNN

Is my reaction. drat that's awful.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Jon Snow seems drat angry talking to some conservative US wingnut about guns. Even used the word "nutters" which confused the chap no end

e: drat, Jon Snow updating the gun death statistics in real-time while talking to that guy. Savage.

I thought you meant the other Jon Snow and got really confused

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rarity posted:

I thought you meant the other Jon Snow and got really confused

He's a good sport about that, but it must be tiresome as gently caress. He did an AMA a few weeks back and every second comment was "you know nothing huehuehue".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

To be fair it was always that. This is them admitting to such.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So did anyone watch that episode of Come Dine With Me that's gone viral due to the rather ungracious way the last host behaved? I'm gonna go see if Jane really was deserving of that (rather hilarious and extremely cringeworthy) nasty diatribe or not.

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin...e-a3148671.html

quote:

There may be a £1000 cash prize at the end of every episode, but generally people go on Come Dine With Me for a bit of fun and healthy competition.

However, the opening episode of the new series came to a dramatic conclusion when losing contestant Peter told winner Jane to leave his house in a shocking rant.

Reading out the results, Peter said: “In fourth place… is me. You won, Jane. Enjoy the money, I hope it makes you very happy.”

He continued: “Dear lord, what a sad little life, Jane. You ruined my night completely so you could have the money, but I hope now you spend it on some lessons in grace and decorum because you have all the grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres on.”

When shocked contestant Charlotte interjected saying, “I don’t get it”, Peter retorted: “Well you wouldn’t, let’s be honest. There’s nobody in there, love.”

Ouch. If that wasn’t bad enough, Peter ended his softly-spoken tirade by saying: “So Jane, take your money and get off my property.”

Update your diaries: if you want your dinner party to end with a bang, there’s one person you really need to invite.

edit-it's episode 1, series 37.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come-dine-with-me/on-demand/61824-002

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
finished watching the first series of luther last night and it was absolutely mental

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was only a matter of time before they got to the dude who has to ruin things. Points to general society for it lasting that long though. I mean that is just well, rude.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Not sure who the co-presenter was on that Restaurant's tricks program, but dear lord she's terrible. She takes every opportunity to reiterate every point with "So, you're telling me..." as if she's dealing with some complicated science. The show would be half the length if she wasn't talking.

In fact I'm pretty sure I'd seen her before, calling up some poor customer service rep to ask them about some obscure ingredient in one of their foods and then rolling her eyes when they couldn't help her.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DrVenkman posted:

Not sure who the co-presenter was on that Restaurant's tricks program, but dear lord she's terrible. She takes every opportunity to reiterate every point with "So, you're telling me..." as if she's dealing with some complicated science. The show would be half the length if she wasn't talking.

In fact I'm pretty sure I'd seen her before, calling up some poor customer service rep to ask them about some obscure ingredient in one of their foods and then rolling her eyes when they couldn't help her.

I tried watching that. I dunno if it's just because I've worked in restaurant, but it was the most condescending show.

DID YOU KNOW: Upselling is a thing?!! Restaurants actually want you to BUY MORE THINGS?!

Not as bad as the other C4 thing, Burger Bar to Gourmet Star. Where a gourmet chef took on cooks from cafes/burger vans etc. Might as well have called it "Pricks sneer at proles".

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 6, 2016

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I thought it would be quite difficult to work yourself into an outrage about a completely optional luxury but there you go.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I tried watching that. I dunno if it's just because I've worked in restaurant, but it was the most condescending show.

DID YOU KNOW: Upselling is a thing?!! Restaurants actually want you to BUY MORE THINGS?!

Not as bad as the other C4 thing, Burger Bar to Gourmet Star. Where a gourmet chef took on cooks from cafes/burger vans etc. Might as well have called it "Pricks sneer at proles".

All of this, my thoughts exactly.

And the No Fun Allowed Professor, gently caress you mate, I'll order my burger medium if I want

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm actually okay with that kind of show, but mostly because I think its fun to laugh at people that get snobby over that kind of thing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Insert Name Here seems to be a good addition to the pantheon of celebrity panel shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I'm all for equal opportunities but I was a bit thrown by the severely disfigured presenter just popping up on my screen.

He was better than the other two as well.