Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
you are all sinners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Actually Matt, at the point you tapped out you wouldn't have even seen the guy doing the whole Moon thing. YOU probably thought the final boss was the Akatsuki leader but no! The Akatsuki leader's plan, which he enacts from his position in City of Lost Children, is that he's a lost apprentice of The Boss and has decided that The Boss' will to him/prophecy about him was to become a saviour and enforce world peace through the threat of nuclear annihilation (also killing The Boss).

But it's not him, and it's not the moon guy either. Instead it's a legendary dead guy who the moon guy was pretending to be, who through various means ressurects himself and becomes god.

BUT IT'S NOT HIM EITHER, because that guy triumphs only to get Backstaged in the last 12 chapters by a loving Space Alien (also a tar monster that lives in the alien's armpit).

There are more space aliens in the two canon films.

Thus was Naruto, the manga about ninjas. And wizards.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm told woolie didn't like cartoony villains but then recommends cross bone gundam

Woolie reminds me of animesuki

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Please post about good shounen cartoons like hunter x hunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhmyWT-_0U

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Depths posted:

Please post about good shounen cartoons like hunter x hunter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhmyWT-_0U

another cartoon woolie doesn't like

what a terrible woolie

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rodyle posted:

BUT IT'S NOT HIM EITHER, because that guy triumphs only to get Backstaged in the last 12 chapters by a loving Space Alien (also a tar monster that lives in the alien's armpit).

And like the best aliens, it bursts out of his chest without warning, just instantly kills him and picks up the reins in a single page.

It was worth reading the one-shot with Naruto's daughter that came after though, where Naruto misses his own coronation as Hokage when his daughter does an ancient ninja sealing technique head-first into his balls.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

Actually Matt, at the point you tapped out you wouldn't have even seen the guy doing the whole Moon thing. YOU probably thought the final boss was the Akatsuki leader but no! That guy's plan, which he enacts from his position in City of Lost Children, is that he's a lost apprentice of The Boss and has decided that The Boss' will to him/prophecy about him was to become a saviour and enforce world peace through the threat of nuclear annihilation (also killing The Boss).

But it's not him, and it's not the moon guy either. Instead it's a legendary dead guy who the moon guy was pretending to be, who through various means ressurects himself and becomes god.

There are more space aliens in the two canon films.

Thus was Naruto, the manga about ninjas. And wizards.

Just to be clear literally none of this is a joke.

I actually genuinely like what Naruto does with 'ninja', I like that they kinda take the whole idea that ninjas are mystical and weird and go balls out with "YEA gently caress IT HERE'S A NINJA THAT TURNS TO BUGS AND HERE'S A NINJA WHO PUT EYES IN HIS ARM FOR POWER AND HERE'S A loving ALIEN LADY WITH HORNS WHO'S A NINJA" and it kinda...works? Like it's not the greatest anime ever but I genuinely think if it wasn't so terribly dubbed and terribly full of some of the most filler-est filler to ever be filled it'd have a better rep than it does.

Also yea the Naruto's daughter one shot is great because Naruto's daughter is 1000x better than Boruto ever will be. She's a beast mode kid who had to be calmed down from literally wanting to murder her brother for breaking one of her toys, to the point where she used her magic eye poo poo to find him and Naruto had to come take the death blow for him to keep him from getting murdered by his little sister.

gently caress Boruto where's the Himawari movie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

what a terrible woolie

A shameful Woolie.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I actually genuinely like what Naruto does with 'ninja', I like that they kinda take the whole idea that ninjas are mystical and weird and go balls out with "YEA gently caress IT HERE'S A NINJA THAT TURNS TO BUGS AND HERE'S A NINJA WHO PUT EYES IN HIS ARM FOR POWER AND HERE'S A loving ALIEN LADY WITH HORNS WHO'S A NINJA" and it kinda...works? Like it's not the greatest anime ever but I genuinely think if it wasn't so terribly dubbed and terribly full of some of the most filler-est filler to ever be filled it'd have a better rep than it does.

Yeah, I also think if Naruto had been good instead of bad people would've liked it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

A shameful Woolie.

Yeah, I also think if Naruto had been good instead of bad people would've liked it.

Well my point was it was good as a concept, just the anime being bogged down in filler and lack of effort hosed it up. I think Naruto the manga is super solid

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The more I think about the Big 3, the more I appreciate Araki's posture towards JoJo as a series.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also yea the Naruto's daughter one shot is great because Naruto's daughter is 1000x better than Boruto ever will be. She's a beast mode kid who had to be calmed down from literally wanting to murder her brother for breaking one of her toys, to the point where she used her magic eye poo poo to find him and Naruto had to come take the death blow for him to keep him from getting murdered by his little sister.

gently caress Boruto where's the Himawari movie

This is stupid and you're stupid for liking it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Naruto the manga is super solid

It's not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

This is stupid and you're stupid for liking it

fair

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Hunter x hunter is so rad

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think Naruto the manga is super solid

No, no no no, nobody said that.

There are concepts, characters, even ARCS that I like, but the SERIES? gently caress the series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well my point was it was good as a concept, just the anime being bogged down in filler and lack of effort hosed it up. I think Naruto the manga is super solid

Indeed if the execution had been better, people could have enjoyed Naruto. The same can be said about One Piece but that's what happens when you ask to make x pages of manga under threat of execution and have no way to back down and end up forced to draw poo poo out for thirty chapters. And then another 200 once you've finished doing their wake up routine and actually begin the missions!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Indeed if the execution had been better, people could have enjoyed Naruto. The same can be said about One Piece but that's what happens when you ask to make x pages of manga under threat of execution and have no way to back down and end up forced to draw poo poo out for thirty chapters. And then another 200 once you've finished doing their wake up routine and actually begin the missions!

One piece is actually good though?

(The manga, not the anime)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One Piece feels like a series that has been treading water (heh) for a while now, much like Hajime no Ippo.

fuckin ippo just kiss the girl punch that aloof dick learn how to not get punched in the face all the time just dooooooooooo iiiiiiiiit

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll accept mockery for thinking Naruto's manga isn't bad, but One Piece is good and I'll hear no other arguments about it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
One Piece is a manga of broken hopes and failed potential.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

One piece is actually good though?

(The manga, not the anime)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'll accept mockery for thinking Naruto's manga isn't bad, but One Piece is good and I'll hear no other arguments about it.

I'm going to leave you two to think on how One Piece compares to Naruto when the discussion was how Naruto could've been great if it wasn't for all the filler.

I'm sure you'll both be able to suss out the answer.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And same, Naruto.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And unlike Naruto, which at least concluded, One Piece will shamble on forever not doing any of the cool things it sets up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One Piece is a pulp rear end pulp comic, it will go on forever, doing some cool things but never knowing the meaning of pacing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Naruto manga pre-time skip is loving awesome though. :colbert:

Most of the problems in the series kick in during part two.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm reading punk hazard right now and one piece is currently good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also for some reason 'oh poo poo ninjas' made me laugh really hard in a commentary about a naruto game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dexie posted:

The Naruto manga pre-time skip is loving awesome though. :colbert:

Most of the problems in the series kick in during part two.

Everything up to and including that Kaiju battle between a sand monster and that sick rear end Yakuza boss Frog was pretty great.

Frogs are cool, and Naruto has a really strong frog game.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Dias posted:

what a terrible woolie

Well, don't forget Hunter x Hunter was made for TV.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The whole Maddentown conversation is out of this world.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It was a pretty good podcast up 'till that point, some good laughs and sensible chuckles all around but reaching Maddentown made me do a spittake at a fast food joint, stellar stuff, I think this podcast might be my Big Favorite.

Also my opinion on Naruto is that the last six to eight years of the manga were pretty garbage, the anime is unsalvageable and that Naruto has been on a stark improvement ever since Naruto ended.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just finished the podcast. Liam said Awakening went too anime with war when the last non-remake FE literally involved in a goddess powering up Ike's sword to finish off another goddess. Why, Liam, why are you a dumb 21 year old

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like Naruto okay

the timeskip up until pain's defeat was pretty much a giant wall of terrible though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tae posted:

I just finished the podcast. Liam said Awakening went too anime with war when the last non-remake FE literally involved in a goddess powering up Ike's sword to finish off another goddess. Why, Liam, why are you a dumb 21 year old

did he say which parts of it were too anime, i think i missed them talking about it because i was too busy playing the fire emblem in question while listening to the podcast

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lets hang out posted:

did he say which parts of it were too anime, i think i missed them talking about it because i was too busy playing the fire emblem in question while listening to the podcast

There was a conversation where Pat asks about war and Liam said every single Fire Emblem game is "realistic" about war except Awakening, apparently having never played a single Fire Emblem game with that comment.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Fire Emblem was never not anime, who the gently caress has ever thought it was anything remotely resembling realistic

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tae posted:

There was a conversation where Pat asks about war and Liam said every single Fire Emblem game is "realistic" about war except Awakening, apparently having never played a single Fire Emblem game with that comment.

lmao holy poo poo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TriffTshngo posted:

Fire Emblem was never not anime, who the gently caress has ever thought it was anything remotely resembling realistic

remember when the war of the roses was resolved when henry tudor deployed pegasus riders

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Liam has bad opinions.

Should i start with the 08th team and war in the pocket? what should i watch after those two?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Depths posted:

Liam has bad opinions.

Should i start with the 08th team and war in the pocket? what should i watch after those two?

G Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Don't read the reactions to #FE.
Or better yet watch this big dumb spoiler.