Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Been thinking of trying this again after getting burned out playing like 14 hours a day every day during winter break last year. Did they ever make it so we could gently caress with the simulation like we were trying to do with RGR? Or add any sort of depth to the world that gives you a reason to play once the neato factor of zooming around in space wears off?

Helter Skelter posted:

Go nuts. Worst case, you get blown up and have to pay the insurance rebuy on your ship. Since you're just in the starter Sidewinder, this will be next to nothing. If this brings you down to actual nothing, getting a fellow goon to help you out with a cash injection to get you back on your feet (or, you know, if you just feel like having some extra money) should not be difficult.

Unless they've changed this in the past year owed bounties are taken from your cash when you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

<Zhor> So hey, I just got interdicted in Cherets by a dickhead named CMDR Lord Bamber
<Zhor> He was flying a Fer de Lance, interdicted my tiny little travel Adder and splatted me without a single challenge
<Zhor> If anyone is in the area, you might wanna put the fear of Goon into him

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I take it he didn't sheathe his lightsaber and bow to you before your fight.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Smartarse. I mean that he yanked me out of supercruise and laid into me with C2 rails without saying a word.

There're a ton of players in Cherets trying to do that bounty hunting community goal I'm guessing he's getting his jollies by interdicting less-equipped players in the system.

He looks to be running a Stealth de Lance - he didn't have shields and kept disappearing off my radar.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
My friend and I both hauled 16 tons of fireworks to Cherets. He did his first, and I followed about 30 minutes later. However, I'm in the tier above him for some reason. I guess Braben likes me more!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Helter Skelter posted:

Mostly the key to not getting scanned on docking is "don't take forever to dock". Silent running is wholly unnecessary 98% of the time (the other 2% being military outposts), but whatever floats your space-boat.

If you don't have an active mission which involves smuggling. If you do, it's virtually impossible to not get scanned in a high security system at the moment because space cops crawl up your rear end constantly. Even though I didn't have illicit cargo, I was literally scanned within 5 seconds of dropping out of supercruise each time while the mission was active. It was crazy and they'd try to interdict me continually. So much so it actually made it tough to get close enough to get destination locked to drop out in the first place.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Even if you're taking smuggling missions, not getting scanned is a relatively trivial task. The constant interdictions are certainly irritating, though.

If anyone is interested, I'm totally willing to stream one of my Robigo runs from start (from Robigo, I'll spare everyone the trip out) to finish, explaining what I'm doing and answering any questions as I go.

E: Start time would likely be around 7pm PST and end ~9pm.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Helter Skelter posted:

Even if you're taking smuggling missions, not getting scanned is a relatively trivial task. The constant interdictions are certainly irritating, though.

It used to be that way, but it certainly isn't now. There would have been literally no way I could have not been scanned even if I tried. Probably because I was in a high-security system but literally, I was scanned a second or two after dropping out of supercruise at a station each and every single time without exception. There would have been absolutely no way I could have avoided it. I know how to boost into slots and avoid scans (I did it all the time before) but this was different and I can't imagine the system I was in was a complete unicorn.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Smartarse. I mean that he yanked me out of supercruise and laid into me with C2 rails without saying a word.

There're a ton of players in Cherets trying to do that bounty hunting community goal I'm guessing he's getting his jollies by interdicting less-equipped players in the system.

He looks to be running a Stealth de Lance - he didn't have shields and kept disappearing off my radar.

Please tell me that diamond frogs hasn't turned into this e-honor crap.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

slidebite posted:

If you don't have an active mission which involves smuggling. If you do, it's virtually impossible to not get scanned in a high security system at the moment because space cops crawl up your rear end constantly. Even though I didn't have illicit cargo, I was literally scanned within 5 seconds of dropping out of supercruise each time while the mission was active. It was crazy and they'd try to interdict me continually. So much so it actually made it tough to get close enough to get destination locked to drop out in the first place.

As soon as an NPC decides they want to interdict you, if you then drop out of supercruise (doesn't matter where) before they started their actual interdiction, they will always spawn right on top of you.

You can avoid being scanned in those circumstances by quickly shooting the cop to interrupt their scan. Or you could forcequit the game because this behavior is clearly broken

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

slidebite posted:

It used to be that way, but it certainly isn't now. There would have been literally no way I could have not been scanned even if I tried. Probably because I was in a high-security system but literally, I was scanned a second or two after dropping out of supercruise at a station each and every single time without exception. There would have been absolutely no way I could have avoided it. I know how to boost into slots and avoid scans (I did it all the time before) but this was different and I can't imagine the system I was in was a complete unicorn.
I'm telling you, I've been doing these runs multiple times a week since Horizons dropped, with my most recent trip being an 8-stop run from 17 Draconis last night.

When you drop out of supercruise at a station and see a cop drop in next to you like that, jump back to the main menu and come back in (you don't need to kill the task as there's no combat timer when they pop in like that). There, no more cop.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Please tell me that diamond frogs hasn't turned into this e-honor crap.

What e-honor? I'm not mad or anything, I'm out maybe half a mil in unclaimed bounties and ~25K in a travel Adder insurance.. while I have 26mil in the bank. I piss away more money trying out ship fits.

I'm just saying that I know plenty of goons who love PVP and since obviously this guy is looking to pick a fight, well, let 'im have one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm telling you, I've been doing these runs multiple times a week since Horizons dropped, with my most recent trip being an 8-stop run from 17 Draconis last night.

When you drop out of supercruise at a station and see a cop drop in next to you like that, jump back to the main menu and come back in (you don't need to kill the task as there's no combat timer when they pop in like that). There, no more cop.

Last time I got scanned it was in an outpost (which shouldn't have cops), as I was about to touchdown on the pad. He didn't jump in as I was coming in, like right I was about to land I see the red text and the message that I'm being scanned. I dont know if I could have reacted fast enough to combat log when my natural instinct was to try and get my landing gear in again to boost away.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Last time I got scanned it was in an outpost (which shouldn't have cops), as I was about to touchdown on the pad. He didn't jump in as I was coming in, like right I was about to land I see the red text and the message that I'm being scanned. I dont know if I could have reacted fast enough to combat log when my natural instinct was to try and get my landing gear in again to boost away.
Military outposts absolutely do have cops and are complete assholes about scanning you on the pad or just as you're about to touch down. You absolutely can avoid getting scanned at them (be fast, use silent running, and enter the hangar as soon as you touch down), but any dropoffs at such should be saved until the end of your run due to the risk.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Speaking of bounty hunting in empire, anyone know a good spot with a high RES? Ive been going to Uigiviir(?) since its not that far from a station but I dont know if its supposed to be pitch black all the time and in a corner of the gas giant that forces me to loop around a fair bit at constrained speeds to get to the station.

i know the exact HiRES you're talking about because I used to go there. When the ring rotates it will be blocked from the sun and a nightmare. I found that more often than not the action was happening outside of the rocks anyway.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Just bought the base game on Steam.

Bought Horizons with the discount for existing players.

Immediately got a refund for the base game on Steam, saved $20 on Horizons.

lol nice job, :frontear:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VirtualStranger posted:

I'm not sure what you want them to do, either they require some kind of assholish verification system in order to get the discount or they just assume that their customers are not going to be dishonest jerks. Or they could not sell the game on Steam.

The actual correct solution probably would have been not pretending that Horizons isn't an expansion / DLC but that boat has sailed.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

good job buddy way to stick it to the man :bravo:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also, does the hud color change mod in the OP still work? The default color doesn't seem as sci fi to me as a cool blue does.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

:shrug: Good job, I guess. Kind of a dick move imo.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also, does the hud color change mod in the OP still work? The default color doesn't seem as sci fi to me as a cool blue does.

Yes

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
my x52 (not pro because blue LEDs) comes in today. does anyone have any tips and tricks? i've never used a joystick and/or throttle before.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure what you want them to do, either they require some kind of assholish verification system in order to get the discount or they just assume that their customers are not going to be dishonest jerks. Or they could not sell the game on Steam.

The actual correct solution probably would have been not pretending that Horizons isn't an expansion / DLC but that boat has sailed.

If you bought the game at launch, and then bought Horizons when it was released, that's $100 right there. The game as it stands now, content-wise, is worth maybe half that at most. If you look at the list of content updates that have actually been announced for Horizons it consists entirely of basic gameplay features that should have been there on launch day.

After this "season" of updates is finished at the end of this year they're probably going to charge full game prices yet again for the next year.

I don't see why it's unfair of me to save money now while I can.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just buy the 15 buck original and waited for horizons to drop eventually when the season actually progressed. I doubt you'll get your account locked for something like this, but if they do a cross search on the key they just got returned and see that it was applied to an account beforehand they might just lock you into a hellbanned state.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just buy the 15 buck original and waited for horizons to drop eventually when the season actually progressed.

I think this is what I'm thinking of doing.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

deadlyrhetoric posted:

my x52 (not pro because blue LEDs) comes in today. does anyone have any tips and tricks? i've never used a joystick and/or throttle before.
They work best if you put one hand on the throttle and the other hand on the joystick.

Hope this helps!

(the X52 has a HAT on the back of the throttle, I heard people like to map their thrusters to that)

VirtualStranger posted:

It's a bit shifty. If the situation were reversed, would you be so blasé about it?

You could've saved money on Horizons legitimately by just waiting for a sale after all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

VirtualStranger posted:

gently caress you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VirtualStranger posted:

If you bought the game at launch, and then bought Horizons when it was released, that's $100 right there. The game as it stands now, content-wise, is worth maybe half that at most. If you look at the list of content updates that have actually been announced for Horizons it consists entirely of basic gameplay features that should have been there on launch day.

After this "season" of updates is finished at the end of this year they're probably going to charge full game prices yet again for the next year.

I agree with you entirely on all points! You're still being dishonest. That's fine but don't expect anyone to think you're cool for figuring out a way of cheating the system.

In your situation I would have just bought the core game and then waited the 9 months or whatever until Horizons is on sale and actually has content and bought it then. I only bought Horizons because I have enough disposable income that I can easily afford to waste it on video games and I was tempted by the black friday skins offer, and I already bought into the main game ages ago because of the prerelease discount and freebies.

Nobody who is interested in playing the game should buy Horizons now unless they're happy with paying for the mere possibility of new content rather than an actual enchanced game experience. Or if you're the sort of person who would legitimately enjoy just zooming around in a buggy and launching it down canyons for the hell of it.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VirtualStranger posted:

That's.... a really drat short list for $60, even setting aside that being able to craft ammo (or a non-fucktarded ammo system) and a character creator are things that should've been in since the word go.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

haha the steam thread is all about abusing their refund process get over yourselves

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

haha the steam thread is all about abusing their refund process get over yourselves

I don't understand the thought process behind telling a person who doesn't support X behavior that there are other people who do support X behavior and therefore the former group should actually be okay with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shine posted:

I don't understand the thought process behind telling a person who doesn't support X behavior that there are other people who do support X behavior and therefore the former group should actually be okay with it.

Like you don't sneak some grapes when you go to the grocery store or like flat out steal videogames from nice developers :rolleyes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zigmidge posted:

:nallears:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You two are really reaching if you think that's what I said.

e: ^^ never stop

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

You two are really reaching if you think that's what I said.

e: ^^ never stop

Feel free to paraphrase or go away.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

It means nobody gives a poo poo about some 20 dollar loophole, let's move on because this thread is actually helpful when you aren't super offended by someone.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Helter Skelter posted:

Oh believe you could do that, actually getting out of your game to avoid a cop scan simply never occurred to me and seems sort of crazy to need to do that, but yeah that should work until they make a 15 sec hold like how if bad guys are in the area .
Thanks for the info.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zigmidge posted:

It means nobody gives a poo poo about some 20 dollar loophole, let's move on because this thread is actually helpful when you aren't super offended by someone.
That's cool and all but he felt the need to come in here and start bragging about how great he is for abusing Steam's refund policies rather than talking about the game, hence the negative responses. We'll be helpful if someone asks something that needs to be answered and isn't pointless bragging. You're also the only person who thinks this is fine so maybe you are the one who should get out?

e:

slidebite posted:

Oh believe you could do that, actually getting out of your game to avoid a cop scan simply never occurred to me and seems sort of crazy to need to do that, but yeah that should work until they make a 15 sec hold like how if bad guys are in the area .
Thanks for the info.
You can also just shoot them or fly behind them to break line of sight and they'll stop the scan. You'll get a minor bounty if you shoot them but you can usually jump out immediately, particularly if you've submitted to an interdiction.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 6, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Shine posted:

Feel free to paraphrase or go away.
To do the opposite of this:

Zigmidge posted:

Statement: abusing the refund process is prolific. Opinion: Don't be down on people who abuse it. Position: I am defending those who abuse the refund process. Implication: Abusing the refund process is good. Potential Assumption: You have also done it, don't be a hypocrite. Overall fallacy: hypocritical, you're leveraging abuse against a thing we like why shouldn't we not like abusing it?

This thread has plenty of people who honest-to-goodness like Elite Dangerous despite it's bare bones nature. For a variety of reasons, either they see the potential, got spurned by Star Citizen and are now choosing a remarkably similar actually-release-version game or enjoy space trucking/space madness exploring etc. etc.
By abusing the system for personal gain you are taking money away from the developers (and the support network IE Steam in this case) which hampers the games development time and thus slowing down what it may become. Doing so for any reason other than personal profit is dishonest. Yes, E:D Horizons in it's current state has a price tag that doesn't match it's contents which is why plenty of us are telling people to take advantage of the $15 discount. E:D on it's own is easily worth $30-40 so it's a good deal regardless. No one's suggesting to abuse the system because, uh, we like this game.

Or to be succinct: 'get over yourself... yourself.'

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a decent new player starting guide? I read the OP and the one there was taken out for being outdated. I did skim the past few pages of the thread and saw some suggestions for a scoop thingy to refuel from stars, a power plant, and maybe a new hyperdrive? There's some tutorials I've been watching on youtube for basic controls and I started watching a "how to do easy missions" one this morning, but I'm just checking out what's available.

Also is it worth getting the expansion now or should I wait until I get the hang of the basic controls and game before complicating things further?

Second also, is there a way to set up different sensitivities for mouse x-axis and mouse y-axis?

For now at least it's kinda fun to fly around delivering tiny boxes in the starter ship while listening to ambient and atmospheric stuff.
There's a new bundle of words for newbies over in the PGS thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&pagenumber=120&perpage=40#post454586213
I'm going to add mission stuff to it once I log in an refit my viper 4 for all-out missioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I asked about that steam refund thing but didn't actually do it because I liked the game enough that I felt Horizons was worth it. Also, I won't steam refund games I think are good.

Although I will say I was considering gifting Horizons to a friend so I'm not quite sure how that would work out.

• Locked thread