Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sneaking posted:

This is the fun, happy kind of OSHA.gif where everyone walks away and nobody ends up in the hospital or the morgue. The Fisher Price of OSHA.

it works on so many levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Halt an catch fire. Love it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sneaking posted:

This is the fun, happy kind of OSHA.gif where everyone walks away and nobody ends up in the hospital or the morgue. The Fisher Price of OSHA.

It's all fun and games until someone ruptures a testicle

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

im glad of it

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

As I was scrolling down at first I thought I was looking at a really close-up picture of a fat dude sitting in a cheap aluminum lawn chair

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Huh, usually the cone shows up after the balls come off.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
*Ring*

Uh yeah Mr. Three-Phase, there's been a bit of an accident, we're going to need you to come in today.

*click*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Somewhere, Victor Frankenstein is shouting "It's alive!!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A Man With A Plan posted:

*Ring*

Uh yeah Mr. Three-Phase, there's been a bit of an accident, we're going to need you to come in today.

*click*

When I was a kid I thought if you cut into an electrical cable electricity would come shooting out of it like a hose.

Now I know that I was actually right, and I feel vindicated.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

*Ring*

*click*

some duct tape and a bit of WD-40 will fix that

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Robo Reagan posted:

some duct tape and a bit of WD-40 will fix that

You're probably more right than you know.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Somewhere, Victor Frankenstein is shouting "It's alive!!"

Even the maddest of mad scientists would look at that thing and go "no loving way". Bringing the dead to life ain't poo poo if the electricity kills you first.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Don't piss off electricity.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Don't piss off on electricity.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

https://youtu.be/_wW6rENTfaU?t=3m30s

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Appropriately labelled for Pepsi products.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

*Ring*

*click*

It's beautiful when it begins to fault phase-to-phase (between the lines). It's like an angel rising. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJAin4Wiw4

Apparently that area was for the static reactive (or static VAR) compensator. Basically you have big capacitor and reactor (electrical, not nuclear) banks you can switch into and out of the power grid. Switching in capacitors contributes a leading power factor (current sine wave is "ahead" of the voltage sine wave) and switching reactors in contributes a lagging power factor (current lags behind voltage). Someone went really bad in that section and caused all hell to break loose.

One of the components was a harmonic filter, and that burned down. Also it looks like the arc that started was in the 13.8kV section but the big arc that it contributed to was in the 230kV section.

Some documentation on the fault and why it happened. Harmonics had a big part to play in what happened.

http://www.redalyc.org/html/2033/203338783008/index.html

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 5, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Oh god a buffet with no sneeze guards.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
At least the old guy has the side guards on his glasses. Young guy has his safety glasses in the correct position too.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Three-Phase posted:

It's beautiful when it begins to fault phase-to-phase (between the lines). It's like an angel rising. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJAin4Wiw4

I love all the cursing and then one of the guys freaking out and yelling "don't go in there" when it stops.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Question about lethality of electricity, guys. At work sometimes I surge test stator coils, and depending on the coil it's anywhere from 2000 to 15000 volts. It's just a larger version of alligator clips sort of, I hook onto the leads coming out of the coils. It's pretty easy to not shock yourself, you have to hold a foot pedal down the whole time to keep it flowing. I asked some people at work but they aren't experts either, however a couple have somehow managed to touch it before and they said it doesn't even really hurt when it touches you. I'm guessing you'd need to know the exact model of the surge tester, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. All I know is it is AC Coils we test(although it may not be AC coming from the tester. I do know it doesn't matter which clamp goes on which lead so I'm guessing it's AC power). Can someone explain the deal with this? I hate being ignorant of things and there also seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. Like the whole "its watts that get you, not volts!" not always being correct.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Question about lethality of electricity, guys. At work sometimes I surge test stator coils, and depending on the coil it's anywhere from 2000 to 15000 volts. It's just a larger version of alligator clips sort of, I hook onto the leads coming out of the coils. It's pretty easy to not shock yourself, you have to hold a foot pedal down the whole time to keep it flowing. I asked some people at work but they aren't experts either, however a couple have somehow managed to touch it before and they said it doesn't even really hurt when it touches you. I'm guessing you'd need to know the exact model of the surge tester, but I can't recall it off the top of my head. All I know is it is AC Coils we test(although it may not be AC coming from the tester. I do know it doesn't matter which clamp goes on which lead so I'm guessing it's AC power). Can someone explain the deal with this? I hate being ignorant of things and there also seems to be a lot of misinformation out there. Like the whole "its watts that get you, not volts!" not always being correct.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here. If it's info on the basis of why you test and what goes on, here's some info:
http://www.existest.com/appnotes/Baker/Teoria%20Surge.pdf
http://www.maintenancetechnology.com/2007/03/dc-step-voltage-and-surge-testing-of-motors/

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
I know these guys are absolute professionals, but mixing:

• High Voltage Power Lines
  • A Helicopter
  • Several Large saw blades dangling from a steel cable

seems like a recipe for youtube greatness.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

Devor posted:

It's all fun and games until someone ruptures a testicle

Probably a good pick for the next thread title.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

fuckingtest posted:

I know these guys are absolute professionals, but mixing:

• High Voltage Power Lines
  • A Helicopter
  • Several Large saw blades dangling from a steel cable

seems like a recipe for youtube greatness.

They use these almost exclusively in the sticks to keep the hydro corridors clear, most land vehicles won't get 100 feet on Canadian Shield muskeg and it's too much labour to do the clearing manually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Can stealing those rolling stairs from Home Despot and putting some wood blocks on top be considered “construction”?

quote:

some guy on Reddit posted:
Not sure if here's the right place for this but our Landlord has stalled for months to fix stairs, gets 3 weeks while we're in mexico and leaves this garbage

So since like July he's been meaning to fix the stairs because they were to narrow. He asked for about 3 days to a week to work on them and we've been out of the house 2 other times for a week and he wouldn't do it. Now we were gone for 3 weeks and he did nothing because he doesn't want to pay to get it done and he's been doing it himself and we just got back and we have this to use. In the few times I went up and down to get the luggage I almost fell twice on this crap. He asked for 3 more days to finish it but I know he's not gonna do that and it's dangerous for my mom to carry my 8 month old sister down that to take my 3 younger siblings to school every morning. I'm not really sure if I can do anything about it but if there is any help would be great.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

That landlord is just begging to be sued.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Just fall down those stairs and sue the landlord.

Now YOURE the landlord.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

JB50 posted:

Just fall down those stairs and sue the landlord.

Now YOURE the landlord.

Yeah but now you have to put wheelchair ramps and elevators in because you need to be able to get to the top floor.

My favorite part is the scrap wood placed on top of round logs.

E: What in the poo poo are those logs doing there anyway? I'm not seeing a single scenario where they don't make this more dangerous.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's still a good couple of feet at least from the top stair of the HD ladder to the platform above. So they built some intermediate steps out of whatever scrap wood was lying around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'built' by stacking them precariously

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Good point. They moved their pile of worthless scrap wood to the top of the new stairs.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here. If it's info on the basis of why you test and what goes on, here's some info:
http://www.existest.com/appnotes/Baker/Teoria%20Surge.pdf
http://www.maintenancetechnology.com/2007/03/dc-step-voltage-and-surge-testing-of-motors/

I wasn't asking a specific question, I was just looking for information on how it all works. Like I said, you commonly hear the whole "it's not volts, but amps that get ya!" thing but I know it's more complicated than that. My job testing the coils just got me wondering about it. I haven't looked at those links yet but I will here shortly. Thanks!

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 6, 2016

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/question501.htm

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I wasn't asking a specific question, I was just looking for information on how it all works. Like I said, you commonly hear the whole "it's not volts, but amps that get ya!" thing but I know it's more complicated than that. My job testing the coils just got me wondering about it. I haven't looked at those links yet but I will here shortly. Thanks!

here's how I think of it:
voltage is a measure of the efficiency with which current travels through material. Impedance of material is reduced at higher voltages.
current is a measure of the efficiency with which a bunch of electrons (called a coulomb) transfer energy & do work.
watts are a measure of actual work done.

stuff people say all the time which never helped me visualize it
Volts times Amps equals Watts - if you break it down to component SI units, things actually cancel out.
various unhelpful analogies about dams, pipes, etc. find one that works for you.

real world examples:
high voltage low current systems - like the electric potential generated by rubbing your feet on carpet in winter (a few thousand volts, a millionth of an amp) - can make massive sparks that make you say OUCH but don't even twitch your muscles. 15k volts and .4ma is a stun gun: throws enough current into your meat sack to seize muscles, but not enough to kill you (usually).

low voltage high current systems - like a car battery - need a wire the size of your thumb to send an appreciable amount of juice anywhere. but there's lots of juice there for ya. enough to weld with if you have heavy leads only a few feet long.

anyway the short answer is that anything can kill you if it seizes the muscles in your heart.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Don't check your gas level with a lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/b4eF3fl.webm

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I guess that's one way to get the snow off your vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's so pretty :stare:

Say Nothing posted:

Don't check your gas level with a lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/b4eF3fl.webm

I like how the person filming is just like "nope"

• Locked thread