Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Because of a lovely combination of apartment network and ISP I'm unable to open the correct ports/get a static IP for connecting to my Plex media server from the outside. So I can't get it to connect to the Plex servers, and have a double NAT loving it all up (as far as I can tell- I've already contacted my ISP but they've refused to open the ports on their side because they think Plex is :filez:).

Are there any workarounds for this, or is Cloud Sync/copying ahead of time the only options for streaming when I'm traveling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just use a DDNS service like dnsexit or something to take care of the static IP issue. In terms of the double nat/port bullshit, what open ports do they allow? You can change the Plex server port to be whatever you want. They can't disallow everything, I know those condo places have some weird poo poo going on but someone there is running a web server, needs to VPN or something.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Complain random online game isn't working and tell them their support said you need port x forwarded (can be valid for that game). Then just set plex to that port.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ok, I'll give these a shot. Thank you!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is the double nat on your end? It seems strange that they'd have that configured that way by default. I understand a bit more not enabling upnp I guess but it seems weird that everyone would be in a double nat

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm not the most networking-savvy so I'm not sure... my apartment is wired with ethernet, so I have my router plugged into that. My router is reporting an external IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, but whatismyip.com is reporting my IP as 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have upnp enabled on the router (it's a Netgear WNDR3400v3 if that makes any difference), and I've also forwarded port 32400 for my Plex media server (a Mac Mini). The Plex support pages are saying this is a double nat situation.

I've tried port scanning the IP that whatismyip.com is returning with Network Utilities, but can't find any open ports. I tried setting forwarding for 32400 on the inside and 80 on the outside, and the media server said it was able to connect fine but then when I tried to connect back using plex.tv from my phone it wasn't letting me.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

slomomofo posted:

Because of a lovely combination of apartment network and ISP I'm unable to open the correct ports/get a static IP for connecting to my Plex media server from the outside. So I can't get it to connect to the Plex servers, and have a double NAT loving it all up (as far as I can tell- I've already contacted my ISP but they've refused to open the ports on their side because they think Plex is :filez:).

Are there any workarounds for this, or is Cloud Sync/copying ahead of time the only options for streaming when I'm traveling?

the only way i can think of getting to your plex server without using a 3rd party would be to use softether with nat traversal
https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto/6.VPN_Server_Behind_NAT_or_Firewall/1.Dynamic_DNS_and_NAT_Traversal

that being said if you can't open ports it isn't "real" internet and you should and complain and or switch isp's

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

log into your router and look up the IP address of its WAN port. If you see an address in the 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x range (both of which are private) it means that the device your router's WAN port connects to is doing NAT. So your router is as doubling that up.

What happens if you take a device and plug it directly into the apartment Ethernet? Will it work, and do you have the router just to give you wifi?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I've tried connecting the server directly to the wall but wasn't able to find an open port. I'll try that again this evening when I get home, and I guess just do a port scan again using Network Utility (unless there's a less brute-force option?). The router is just for wifi access for my iPhone/iPad/etc.

I've never heard of SoftEther before, Perplx- sounds very interesting, and I'll keep that in mind if removing my router from the chain doesn't work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slomomofo posted:

I'm not the most networking-savvy so I'm not sure... my apartment is wired with ethernet, so I have my router plugged into that. My router is reporting an external IP of 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, but whatismyip.com is reporting my IP as 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. I have upnp enabled on the router (it's a Netgear WNDR3400v3 if that makes any difference), and I've also forwarded port 32400 for my Plex media server (a Mac Mini). The Plex support pages are saying this is a double nat situation.

I've tried port scanning the IP that whatismyip.com is returning with Network Utilities, but can't find any open ports. I tried setting forwarding for 32400 on the inside and 80 on the outside, and the media server said it was able to connect fine but then when I tried to connect back using plex.tv from my phone it wasn't letting me.

A lot of ISPs specifically block 80 inbound because they don't want you to host regular websites. So that isn't helping you.

You're not going to find any open ports when directly connecting because if your ISP is already doing some form of NAT, the default configuration should (hopefully) be zero open ports from the actual WAN IP (24.x) to the private IP they assign you (10.x). In your shoes, if your ISP specifically hates Plex and you are stuck double-NATing, I would do this:

*Leave plex running on port 32400 on the machine it is on
*Set up port forwarding on your router to map some popular game port that they will forward (maybe 27015?) from the 10.x IP space to your 192.x IP space
*Ask your ISP to forward that same port (27015) to you

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. Lesson learned: never tell support your true intentions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is it the ISP or is it the apartment blocking ports?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How does plex handle multiple versions of the same film?

I have 2 copies of a movie, one is a regular 700mb rip and the other is a 4.6GB HD rip. I only see one entry in Plex when I go to view my list of movies.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

I have 2 copies of a movie, one is a regular 700mb rip and the other is a 4.6GB HD rip. I only see one entry in Plex when I go to view my list of movies.

I'm not sure how it behaves, but I've noticed it put a little icon on the picture of the film in the web interface if there were multiple versions. I never investigated what that did, though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
One of the drop down buttons on the left let you choose to play from a specific version. Not sure if Plex ever chooses by itself to play a lower quality one or if it always transcodes the HQ one.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Should have the number 2 in blue on the artwork, if it doesn't the media scanner is only seeing one file for some reason. It's functionally the same as how optimized versions work.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Laserface posted:

There are a couple of options. If you don't do anything both films will be lumped together and it will have a orange "2" on the poster.

If you want them separate, just click in to the detail, hit the ellipses and go to "split apart". I generally do this when I have a regular & a 3D movie. I also change out posters for one of the movies too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

suddenlyissoon posted:

There are a couple of options. If you don't do anything both films will be lumped together and it will have a orange "2" on the poster.

If you want them separate, just click in to the detail, hit the ellipses and go to "split apart". I generally do this when I have a regular & a 3D movie. I also change out posters for one of the movies too.

I also do the "split apart" option for extended/director's/alternate cut of films. The metadata that Plex scrapes almost always has posters and stuff specifically for those different versions too.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I can confirm when you make an optimized version of a video (i.e. for mobile), when you do an offline sync of that, the optimized version is sent directly to your device. No more waiting for the server to convert! Saved me a ton of time before my last road trip.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I just realized there's a good 40 movies that Plex isn't seeing. Is there a quick way I can identify which ones and add them to the library?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What if plex is identifying stuff wrong?

I have a bunch of snowboarding films that are being either not labelled or incorrectly labelled. is there any way to correct them? I delete/skip downloading nfo files and name the files myself when I move them to the snowboard film directory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Go into the plex web interface and if the file is listed but wrong, you can go into it and edit the information by hand (or so different keyword lookups to try find it on the external Dbs it uses)

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

EL BROMANCE posted:

Go into the plex web interface and if the file is listed but wrong, you can go into it and edit the information by hand (or so different keyword lookups to try find it on the external Dbs it uses)

This is everything thats wrong with plex. If it loses your edited info, (maybe you move everything to a new HHD) then you have to re enter the data all over again.

plex needs to support local metadata.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It really does, especially given the headaches I've had with the scrapers this week. All my stuff has metadata on it from couch potato or sonarr, it's a crying shame it goes ignored.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Cornjob posted:

This is everything thats wrong with plex. If it loses your edited info, (maybe you move everything to a new HHD) then you have to re enter the data all over again.

I have done so much Sort Title poo poo with big franchises and set so many posters to the kind of poster I want that starting fresh would be horrible. Sign me up for local metadata storage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing I'll say is, the trakt plugin for plex is faaaaaaar better than the kodi one for me. I had nothing but problems with that one, but the plex one installed and I've not noticed it since and it always syncs my watches back and forth perfectly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cornjob posted:

There's step-by-step instructions to achieve exactly this, which is just a complicated way of saying "copy the user data" as with many programs.
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

e: you can also do regular backups of the data. I'm not sure what you're saying it can't do.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If poo poo isn't identified correctly or missing,
change the order of agents to identify them and then refresh your library.

Problem will mostly fix itself from this.

Once it had been misidentified, it doesn't get checked again (same hierarchy /same reason). This is because of "local media assets"
see Plex support url: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201035758-Set-the-Agent-Order

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 10, 2016

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Khablam posted:

There's step-by-step instructions to achieve exactly this, which is just a complicated way of saying "copy the user data" as with many programs.
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System

e: you can also do regular backups of the data. I'm not sure what you're saying it can't do.

It still requires one to start fresh when starting with Plex. I already have my library sorted to my liking with local data, and plex wont look at it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Cornjob posted:

It still requires one to start fresh when starting with Plex. I already have my library sorted to my liking with local data, and plex wont look at it.

In your attempt to shift your argument, I feel you're not even making a point at all.
What manner of media library manager / streamer / anything doesn't require you to "start fresh" when you're first using it?
What won't plex "look at"?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Local metadata.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Local metadata in what format? Because it seems to pull embedded metadata out of video files just fine in my (admittedly limited) experience.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can't you just restore from your system backup if you put in a new hard drive?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Local metadata in what format? Because it seems to pull embedded metadata out of video files just fine in my (admittedly limited) experience.

I' assuming .nfo files. I personally don't use local metadata and just have Plex fetch everything for me and my experience has been fine. As an aside, I got PlexPy up and running my server and I love all these extra statistics :allears:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Nfo and image files.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Khablam posted:

In your attempt to shift your argument, I feel you're not even making a point at all.
What manner of media library manager / streamer / anything doesn't require you to "start fresh" when you're first using it?
What won't plex "look at"?

My issue was, and is, plex' inability to recognize locally stored metadata, such as nfo files. I love plex, but this particular issue is a source or frustration.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

On a similar note, is there a way to make Plex re-examine a single movie? It keeps thinking that the original 1990 ninja turtles movie is the remake. I've corrected the data in Plex and the movie is labeled with the year, but it keeps giving me the wrong info and posters.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Athenry posted:

On a similar note, is there a way to make Plex re-examine a single movie? It keeps thinking that the original 1990 ninja turtles movie is the remake. I've corrected the data in Plex and the movie is labeled with the year, but it keeps giving me the wrong info and posters.

1. Click on the movie to open up the entry
2. Hit the ellipses button (...) and choose 'Fix Incorrect Match'.
3. Plex will think for a moment and give you a list of movies it thinks are matches.
4. Pick the correct one off the list.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
If I wanted to setup a User for my brother to access my movie library from over the internet which user type would be most appropriate; Friend, Managed User, or Home User? I have a hard time understanding the difference from the walkthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
edit: :toot: my first double post!