Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

euphronius posted:

The best part of all seven movies is when Vader taunts Luke about Leia and Luke goes completely nuts and bashes Vader down eight his light saber with animalistic fury.

It's amazing.

The best scene is when young Anakin says "hit the nose", which is genius foreshadowing.

The other best scene is when R2 accidentally plugs his USB into a power outlet.

(#3 is the asteroid chase in Clones.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The sound the depth Charges make in that asteroid scene is really cool yeah.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All of you are being idiots. The coolest scenes are on Hoth- why the hell else would everyone be wearing such heavy coats?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best scene is "no...NOO....YOU will die!"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

The sound the depth Charges make in that asteroid scene is really cool yeah.

Even parodies get it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hey buddy. I brought you some blue juice.

( seriously though Aotc looks amazing I love that movie).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

I watched the SEs over the week before TFA came out and the cgi additions aged really badly, and that's why the originals should be available as blu-rays. Also Darth Vader shouts "noooo" when he tosses the Emp in ROTJ.

I watched my Blu-Ray copy for the first time before TFA and that part was so jarring. I hadn't seen RoTJ in over a decade and I could still tell that didn't belong.

"Hey, he's saying 'Noooooo' just like...loving Lucas."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh yeah, fun filmic detail. While thinking about matters, it occured to me that in ESB, the ground is always precarious. Ice, the inside of a space slug, swampy, suspended in the sky...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Filthy Casual posted:

So is Clone Wars 3D any good? I really enjoyed the older animated show that got some run time on Toonami, I dunno if that's a reasonable comparison point.

It's good, but it is unlike the Genndy Tartakovsky traditionally animated shorts, and it takes a while to get warmed up.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I've never seen this before. The sound mixing is loving insane; holy poo poo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The Auralnauts Star Wars/Jedi Party series is legitimately amazing and I honestly don't look at Creepio the same way anymore.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In retrospect, the vast majority of my favorite scenes come from the prequels. Like, everything involving the Nemoidians.

On the other hand, the definite worst scenes in Star Wars are all confined to Force Awakens and Return Of The Jedi. Stuff like the Leia reveal, and Maz.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wow that auralnauts stuff is insane. How old am I that I've never heard of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

On the other hand, the definite worst scenes in Star Wars are all confined to Force Awakens and Return Of The Jedi. Stuff like the Leia reveal, and Maz.

By Leia reveal do you mean the "Oh Leia's totally my sister!" thing with Obi-Wan or where Luke actually goes and tells her?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Wow that auralnauts stuff is insane. How old am I that I've never heard of it.

They finished ep. 4 last month - so don't feel bad. Watch 'em in order to get all the jokes.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

computer parts posted:

By Leia reveal do you mean the "Oh Leia's totally my sister!" thing with Obi-Wan or where Luke actually goes and tells her?

Not speaking for SMG but that entire scene in the Ewok village on the bridge is absolutely horrid. It's a culmination of how bad Fisher and Ford are throughout the whole thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beefstew posted:

The Auralnauts Star Wars/Jedi Party series is legitimately amazing and I honestly don't look at Creepio the same way anymore.

I was shown them the other day and I completely lost it at "Friend Besto".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
OH MY GOD

CREEPIO AND THE SINGULARITY ENGINE

My skull hurts from laughing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The twist is that - and I believe I wrote something about this in the previous thread - the natural love interest for Padme (in a conventional romance, with a love triangle) should be none other than the bumbling but kind-hearted Jar Jar Binks. We've all seen romantic comedies, so we know how this goes.

But after the 'harmonious' ending of Phantom Menace, with the two cultures united through the expulsion of the foreign invader, everything is thrown out of balance by Padme's rejection of this 'natural' outcome. Instead of remaining partners with her fellow senator Jar Jar, she is seduced by Anakin.

Now, at the end of Attack Of The Clones, she and Anakin are united through the elimination of the foreigners. They get off on being the invaders now - and the Geonosians receive graphic, bloody onscreen deaths.

This is why it's the saddened, defeated Jar Jar who votes Palpatine into power. He's trying to bring back that harmony that was lost - but that harmony had always been an illusion.

Wait a second, Luke leaps the gently caress right out of that carbonite pit... What if Jarjar is really the father?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

OH MY GOD

CREEPIO AND THE SINGULARITY ENGINE

My skull hurts from laughing.

That part was loving amazing.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The best scene is when young Anakin says "hit the nose", which is genius foreshadowing.

Not a joke: foreshadowing for what? Haven't seen the movies in a while.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Darth Vader screaming "NOOOOO!" when saving Luke's life is loving unforgivable to me. That scene is my favorite part of any movie ever and for me it's really unlikely it will ever be topped by anything.

Maybe it's been awhile since you've seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOQI-LAEzM

The swelling chorus, the way it tightens in on Vader's face, the way the lightning reflects off his mask, and especially, most especially, the way he looks at Palpatine, turns and looks at Luke and then turns and looks at Palpatine again... it's just my favorite thing. It's the best part of the whole God-damned series. It says everything while saying nothing. It's perfect.

I guess Lucas was worried that we are all too stupid to understand what Vader was thinking. See back in the '70s they didn't have the technology to record someone saying "NOOOOOOO!" so back then it simply couldn't be added, but now that we do have the technology of recording sound and adding it to a movie it was part of the vision all along. But really, how can we expect the audience to understand even that? What if he's just saying "NOOOOO!" because the bolts are zapping him? Or maybe his lovely cybernetic legs were bothering him? It's still so unclear! I think it would be better and more artistic if Vader screamed, "I WILL NOT LET YOU KILL MY SON BECAUSE NOW I UNDERSTAND THE WAY YOU USE AND DISCARD PEOPLE AND HOW THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME AND AS SUCH I HAVE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART AND I AM NOW ANAKIN SKYWALKER AGAIN AND NOT DARTH VADER SO I SHALL LIFT YOU AND HURL YOU DOWN A BOTTOMLESS SHAFT IN ORDER TO KILL YOU SO YOU WILL STOP SHOOTING LIGHTNING INTO MY SON SO THAT MY SON SHALL LIVE INSTEAD OF DIE."

Something like that would really clear up everyone's confusion about Vader's emotional state and motivations at that moment. And thank goodness! Who could possibly have known what he was thinking?

I loving hate that change. Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it. I've never seen a version with it and I never will. It's like if Da Vinci had come back to the Mona Lisa a few years later and said, "You know, I always MEANT for her to have a mustache and, you know, I am the artist. Back when I painted this I didn't have any paint! But now that I do it's time to fulfill my original vision."

I know this is all spergy :argh: -ing but I don't care. gently caress that change. It didn't ruin my childhood or destroy Star Wars but it was 100% unnecessary and detracts from the scene rather than enhancing it.

edit: Then we could call it the Mario Lisa.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corek posted:

Not a joke: foreshadowing for what? Haven't seen the movies in a while.

Jar Jar accidentally gets into a ridiculous slapfight with a servant-droid. Anakin tells Jar Jar to "hit the nose!", and it puts the droid into sleep mode.

At the end of the film, the Gungan and Droid armies get into a pointless slapfight. Anakin 'hits the nose', and all the droids are deactivated.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Oh yeah, fun filmic detail. While thinking about matters, it occured to me that in ESB, the ground is always precarious. Ice, the inside of a space slug, swampy, suspended in the sky...

Hey, that's a good catch. The only "safe" place is on board a ship that's in space.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

homullus posted:

Hey, that's a good catch. The only "safe" place is on board a ship that's in space.

Well, the Millennium Falcon is all put literally falling to pieces.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anakin saying noo is what he says when he does not want something. It's part of his character.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

homullus posted:

Even that's hardly safe. Leaving aside the scenes on Imperial starships, all of the protagonists are always wading through some kind of garbage. Probably the most stable is Dagobah but even that consumes the X-Wing. Hoth has "solid ground" but it'll kill your rear end.

Cloud City is of course superficially safe but is literally a city floating in the sky

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nessus posted:

Even that's hardly safe. Leaving aside the scenes on Imperial starships,

The lack of OSHA on the Imperial ships has been brought up before.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Even that's hardly safe. Leaving aside the scenes on Imperial starships, all of the protagonists are always wading through some kind of garbage. Probably the most stable is Dagobah but even that consumes the X-Wing. Hoth has "solid ground" but it'll kill your rear end.

Cloud City is of course superficially safe but is literally a city floating in the sky

Luke's ok in his X-wing (when he's in space), and he and Leia are fine at the end of the movie.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Interesting note: the entirety of Star Wars takes place in the vastness of space, emphasizing the futility of both the war and the stars

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Those Auralnauts videos have justified the existence of the prequels for me. Got legit hyped to see some of those dance fights.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this in imax laser and holy poo poo, wow. best fidelity cinema experience I've ever had. 3D usually doesn't work for me very well but this was crystal clear and perfect. the blacks were insane - shots of grey ships in space were just stunning. the 70mm scene was really cool, wish there was more of it.

movie still good.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Those Auralnauts videos have justified the existence of the prequels for me. Got legit hyped to see some of those dance fights.

They're all gold, even the other videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

My least favorite thing about the prequels are the shiny, useless objects.

- The silvery SR-41 that Amidala escapes Naboo in
- The electric tubes in the background of the duel of Phantom Menace
- The glowy ball thing Boss Nass holds up at the end of TPM
- The cloners on Kamino, and their architecture
- Tons of sports on TV at the bar
- The Gungan underwater palaces
- The palaces on Naboo
- The looooong chase scenes in traffic on Coruscant in AotC
- Dexter Jettster's 50s diner

None of them mean anything, they're just pretty because the CGI technology allowed it. The politics are pointless, but at least it could have meant something if it were better written. The shiny crap is just in the way, which makes it worse.

I for one approve of shiny useless things in space opera movies. The genre lends itself to visual splendor.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Nessus posted:

Cloud City is Alderaan except with clouds instead of mountains:

Like Lucas says, Cloud City is supposed to be a vision of Paradise. For Leia, it's a return to Paradise--a return to the safety and security of infancy. Notice how from the moment Leia sets down in Cloud City, she's variously doted on and squabbled over by a trio of men who either eerily resemble or literally are her father: Han, Lando, and Darth Vader.

Leia can't help but feel uneasy despite being in such a seemingly wonderful place. She knows it's all an illusion, and that the superficial sense of security she derives from being under the protection of Han and Lando will last only as long as they do. She's dependent on them. Her fate, as always, is in the hands of men. Leia is defined by her fear that Han will abandon her, and by her fear that Lando will betray her.

Indeed, both of the good men in her life end up letting her down, delivering her into the hands of the bad man, Darth Vader. This is the "Hell within a Heaven" Lucas speaks of, which is represented by the hellish carbon freezing chamber hidden in the depths of the heavenly city, where Leia loses everything, and is broken.

It's at this point that Leia realizes she must claim her own heroic identity and free herself from the invisible chains the men in her life have placed upon her destiny, setting her up for the resolution of her arc during the opening act of Return of the Jedi.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Maxwell Lord posted:

I for one approve of shiny useless things in space opera movies. The genre lends itself to visual splendor.

It wasn't visual splendour, though. It was garbage, much in the same way that a Big Mac is garbage next to a well-prepared meal. It's enjoyable on some level, but after the fact you realize it's just poo poo in comparison to what you could've had. The original Millennium Falcon looked so much better and more awesome than that shiny dildo Naboo ship ever did.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Red posted:

My least favorite thing about the prequels are the shiny, useless objects.

- The silvery SR-41 that Amidala escapes Naboo in
- The electric tubes in the background of the duel of Phantom Menace
- The glowy ball thing Boss Nass holds up at the end of TPM
- The cloners on Kamino, and their architecture
- Tons of sports on TV at the bar
- The Gungan underwater palaces
- The palaces on Naboo
- The looooong chase scenes in traffic on Coruscant in AotC
- Dexter Jettster's 50s diner

None of them mean anything, they're just pretty because the CGI technology allowed it. The politics are pointless, but at least it could have meant something if it were better written. The shiny crap is just in the way, which makes it worse.

It all means something, actually.

PT6A posted:

It wasn't visual splendour, though. It was garbage, much in the same way that a Big Mac is garbage next to a well-prepared meal. It's enjoyable on some level, but after the fact you realize it's just poo poo in comparison to what you could've had. The original Millennium Falcon looked so much better and more awesome than that shiny dildo Naboo ship ever did.

What should the Queen's ship have looked like instead? Like the Millennium Falcon? How would that have made any sense on a thematic level?

Why would the ship of a Queen look anything like the ship of a smuggler? Why would the Old Republic, a mythical time of splendor and wealth, look exactly the same as the Empire, a time of run-down degeneracy and artless utilitarianism?

The prequels have a sleek, shiny, 1940's-50's Flash Gordon aesthetic. It makes perfect sense, and I can't think of a single way it could have been executed any better by anyone. It's actually quite audacious of you to be so overt in your contention that the PT's aesthetic is bad primarily because it isn't the same as the OT's. At this point, most people have (smartly) moved on from that line of argument, because of its obvious intellectual vacuity.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 6, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

Without even delving into the themes and ideas having distinct pre-fall and post-fall eras having different ships with wildly different aesthetics reflective of them and showing culture progression, even if backwards, I will just state the chrome and sleek designs of the ships in the PT, in fact, rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

The Falcon has always looked like trash and was intended to look like trash.

• Locked thread