Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a video game and all you're doing is making electricity flow through circuits in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm skipping cutscenes and the combat's fun, bite me. Not even up to Pulse yet. :colbert:
Don't skip the one when you return.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Nanomashoes posted:

It's a video game and all you're doing is making electricity flow through circuits in different ways.

when you think about it isnt the human experience just electricity flowing through neurons in different ways

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

when you think about it isnt the human experience just electricity flowing through neurons in different ways

You forgot the chemicals that the electricity is converted in and out of, but seriously don't be a baby about being mean in a video game.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

You forgot the chemicals that the electricity is converted in and out of, but seriously don't be a baby about being mean in a video game.

Really it's the power fantasies where you are effecting positive change that are the most dangerous, when you think about it.....

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Really it's the power fantasies where you are effecting positive change that are the most dangerous, when you think about it.....

positive charge

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Charge my balls and tell me you love me

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love you

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this was my favorite part of metal gear solid

not saying which one because...does that even matter?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

The Orange Mage posted:

this was my favorite part of metal gear solid

not saying which one because...does that even matter?

I'm guessing Volgen and Raikov?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and I really love my character's lines when I use some of the robot weapons, especially the timing on them. Using a circular beam saw provides "Parental Discretion is Advised" as he lights it up before using it on whatever poor smuck I'm fighting. Using a big rear end sword that's basically a superweapon has him say "Mind if I cut in?" as he moves in, which is really fun when using it to open combat, since the animation almost looks like you're trying to sneak up on them in your giant robot, and since it will nearly oneshot most enemies.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm both slow and wrong because I'm posting about Final Fantasy XIII in this thread in the year two thousand and six-teen, but man it is so goddamn satisfying to juggle enemies with Launch. :allears:

I'm skipping cutscenes and the combat's fun, bite me. Not even up to Pulse yet. :colbert:

I wound up not skipping cutscenes because after a while I think I developed stockholm syndrome and started thinking of it like resident evil and if you look at it where it's supposed to be intentionally obnoxious and overly anime then it's actually kind of funny. The sequel does it even better, especially the ending. I actually like 13-2's ending because I just could not stop laughing the whole time. I still have to buy Lightning Returns now that it's on steam :suicide:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh I've seen the whole game before in LP form, it's how I came to be interested in the combat rather than falling for internet hyperbole. :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

And it's theorized that "sentience" is just the delay between stimuli and our mostly-unchanging logic circuits kicking in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Playing Xenoblade Chronicles X and I really love my character's lines when I use some of the robot weapons, especially the timing on them. Using a circular beam saw provides "Parental Discretion is Advised" as he lights it up before using it on whatever poor smuck I'm fighting. Using a big rear end sword that's basically a superweapon has him say "Mind if I cut in?" as he moves in, which is really fun when using it to open combat, since the animation almost looks like you're trying to sneak up on them in your giant robot, and since it will nearly oneshot most enemies.

My favourite is the Classic (Shulk's VA) voice will scream "YOU CAN ALL BURN!" When using the Phoenix backpack weapon. It generates a large sphere of fire that nukes everything around you.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
This is less a specific game and more of a general observation, but I really like when games that have post-ending gameplay have little momeents and things to point out that yes, things have happened and you're not just replaying a specific moment in time.

Like I just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and the first thing I get hitting continue after the credits is a cutscene about one of the character's daughters grieving over her fathers death, which occured in the finale setpiece, and the other villagers commenting on what they should do now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mokinokaro posted:

And it's theorized that "sentience" is just the delay between stimuli and our mostly-unchanging logic circuits kicking in.

Neuroplasticity yo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Nanomashoes posted:

That's why Mass Effect games are the best when you go full Renegade. The devs went to such lengths to show how terrible you are including showing people being burned alive and I'm there waiting for a choice to make things even worse.

The same goes for Star Wars: the Old Republic where the evil choices on the Dark side are so bad that even your Sith masters are terrified when you're taking them, it's entertaining.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Picked up This War Of Mine on the Steam sale, and it's both great and incredibly depressing. Basically it's a war game focusing on the innocent victims, and you have to scavenge materials, medicine, and resources in order to survive.

After about a week, my characters were all about to starve, and I ended up robbing an elderly married couple just to survive. After I did, my characters ended up with severe depression and guilt, and I ended up turning off the game because geez. :smith:

I'm also pretty sure that this was one of the lightest transgression I could have made in the game.

Also got Darkest Dungeon, which is not as heavy on the heartstrings, but still pretty grueling when your characters kill themselves out of hopelessness. The overly grimdark tone kind of eases it up a bit though.

edit:
On a less soul-crushing note, in Ark: Survival Evolved you can commit suicide by eating your own poop. Also, everything about Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad?

ElectricWizard has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jan 5, 2016

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ElectricWizard posted:

You can commit suicide by eating your own poop.

You can do that? I think I've seen a thousand or so snuff films in my time in that case. :metis:

edit: Oh man, the Metis smilie is gone? :smith:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Neuroplasticity yo

The theory is that our actual thought patterns stop developing around a certain age.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Been on a shmup kick lately. I was playing Raiden II and I always loved how when you shot down enemy aircraft they crash into the ground with a very satisfying explosion and leave a huge crater. What's really cool is if they crash into a house or tree those get taken out as well. You can also drop your nukes on houses and trees to achieve the same effect. It's one of the reasons why I love Raiden II so much. That and the toothpaste laser.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Speaking of arcade shooters, I loved how in VARTH: Operation Thunderstorm, bombs aren't some incredibly rare resource that needs to be hoarded and will inevitably go unused until it's too late. Your bombs regenerate over time, and you can even wiggle the stick to charge them faster.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Nuebot posted:

I wound up not skipping cutscenes because after a while I think I developed stockholm syndrome and started thinking of it like resident evil and if you look at it where it's supposed to be intentionally obnoxious and overly anime then it's actually kind of funny. The sequel does it even better, especially the ending. I actually like 13-2's ending because I just could not stop laughing the whole time. I still have to buy Lightning Returns now that it's on steam :suicide:

LR is so bad that it's good as a comedy. In the opening cutscene there's a battle and Snow or whatever his name is (tall, blonde douchey guy) goes, "drat you, Lightning!" It sounds so forced and it's such a non-threatening phrase to use in the middle of a huge, intense fight that I laughed for a good 5 minutes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There's a mission in Rebel Galaxy in which your space ship is surrounded upon detection of an item, around an asteroid field. What you're supposed to do is fight off this massive fleet, then pick up the item.

Unless, of course, you trigger the detection, get as far away from the item as you can, and trigger your warp (travel) engines. Instead of spawning around the asteroid field, it spawns it in a circle around where you are. Since you're at travel speed, the game practically spawns the enemy fleet in a circle five minutes behind you. Make a comically slow turn at warp speed back to the item, pick it up, and boom, mission complete.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MGS5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhWaQ9Z3O8

You can still do this.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MisterBibs posted:

There's a mission in Rebel Galaxy in which your space ship is surrounded upon detection of an item, around an asteroid field. What you're supposed to do is fight off this massive fleet, then pick up the item.

Unless, of course, you trigger the detection, get as far away from the item as you can, and trigger your warp (travel) engines. Instead of spawning around the asteroid field, it spawns it in a circle around where you are. Since you're at travel speed, the game practically spawns the enemy fleet in a circle five minutes behind you. Make a comically slow turn at warp speed back to the item, pick it up, and boom, mission complete.

If I'm thinking of the same mission, there's already a smaller fleet (of a different but also hostile faction) guarding the object, yeah? I think I got blown up the first time after clearing the smaller fleet out and getting ambushed by the bigger one. So on the next try I just flew in, swiped the item and boosted straight out of there. The massive fleet warps in and the two sides started fighting while I made off with the goods.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Away all Goats posted:

If I'm thinking of the same mission, there's already a smaller fleet (of a different but also hostile faction) guarding the object, yeah? I think I got blown up the first time after clearing the smaller fleet out and getting ambushed by the bigger one. So on the next try I just flew in, swiped the item and boosted straight out of there. The massive fleet warps in and the two sides started fighting while I made off with the goods.

I don't think so, I was speaking towards the Illuminated folks ambushing you as you go to an asteroid to pick up a piece of your AI in revenge for you using a robot to steal something earlier.

"Average" difficulty my white rear end.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I miss MGS5. I started experiencing horrible slowdown and lag to the point where I couldn't aim, run, or anything else properly, so I just shelved it for a bit.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Magazines are the best item in the game and I won't hear anyone argue otherwise

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Age of Decadence is a great game, with the premise that you're essentially a random dude in a Rome-like society trying to claw your way to the top. You are not some great hero capable of more than anyone else, and if you try to play it like a typical RPG you're going to die, a lot. What makes me post in this thread, though, is just how many specific scenarios have their own special death message. There is a generic one, but it took me a while to find it because so many places where it's possible to die have their own little stories of your horrible demise to tell you:

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I know it's late, but I just picked up The Witcher: Wild Hunt during the Steam sale, and (no spoilers) during a side quest in the first village you're in, you can simple not do a quest and let some hapless NPC die (peacefully) from some wounds, or you can brew a potion that might cure her, or cause her a horrendously painful death. Right before turning in the quest I save-scummed out of habit, in case she ended up dieing, only for the completion dialogue to state that while my character gains the potion's effects instantly, since the NPC is a vanilla human, it will take a few days to see if it helps or harms her.

TL;DR: Witcher 3 knows about save-scumming, and trolls the poo poo out of you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dialogue in the quest explains that outright. It's neat, but not a save scum thing. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The best savescum guard will always be the gambler in Jade Empire whose head explodes if you win too many times consecutively.

Plus the entire meta-plot of Undertale. Flowey taunting you for reloading after killing Toriel and then sparing her, demoralizing Asgore by telling him how many times he's killed you, the Neutral ending boss using savestates to gently caress with you, etc.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I will never understand devs putting anti-savescum stuff into the game. As a savescummer writ large, savescumming is the result of the dev / game doing something wrong to make the act worthwhile in the first place. Remove the offending problem, and you remove the pressure to savescum.

Content: It's really not a Little Thing, but I love that the X-COM sequel is predicated on the players of the first game losing. Turns out, accepting nonsense like :xcom: results in losing, which as a savescummer I never experienced. I mean, names on the memorial wall is the sign of a a Bad X-COM Player.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Jan 6, 2016

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

MisterBibs posted:

I will never understand devs putting anti-savescum stuff into the game. As a savescummer writ large, savescumming is the result of the dev / game doing something wrong to make the act worthwhile in the first place. Remove the offending problem, and you remove the pressure to savescum.

Not always, some people just like to savescum just to ensure they do everything the "right" way, when that might not be the point of the experience. It's like trying to read all the branches of a choose-your-own-adventure book at once.

Edit: Every time I savescummed in X-COM I counted it as a loss, personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Not always, some people just like to savescum just to ensure they do everything the "right" way, when that might not be the point of the experience. It's like trying to read all the branches of a choose-your-own-adventure book at once.

This.

Savescumming is the vast majority of the time players not wanting to accept the consequences of a mistake. There are things that encourage savescumming (like random chance dialogue choices or whatever) but the majority of the time it's the fact that going back to to things 'right' is a natural instinct for a lot of people. (That is, as a fun side note, the core idea behind All You Need Is Kill/Edge of Eternity. The author was inspired by the fact that he'd keep reloading a save over and over until he got the best possible outcome.)

The only way to prevent savescumming is to make it impossible or to make a game where the player can never make a mistake.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

Not always, some people just like to savescum just to ensure they do everything the "right" way, when that might not be the point of the experience.

Thats what I'm saying. "Not the point of the experience"? Nonsense. Remove that, give me the Right Way we both know I want (and as a player, inherently deserve), and suddenly I don't have to savescum anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Thats what I'm saying. "Not the point of the experience"? Nonsense. Remove that, give me the Right Way we both know I want, and suddenly I don't have to savescum anymore.

So you... want a game where it impossible for you to a mistake, fail or have any negative consequence at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

Edit: Every time I savescummed in X-COM I counted it as a loss, personally.

It's leaving your finger between the pages and when you see you made a choice that kills you and jumping back