Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

That's pretty interesting, usually people say the opposite and consider WoR to be the weak part of the game due to its aimlessness and more annoying dungeons.

I actually liked the sense of aimlessness as I thought it reflected the setting pretty well: "well, the world exploded and all hope is lost, where do we even go from here?" Dungeons definitely were more annoying though, especially compared to how lightweight they generally were in the first half of the game. gently caress that magic-only tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Things like "magic is overpowered" in FFVI is why I always did natural abilities only run. It's how I discovered how OP Gau is, and how like half the cast completely fall off the murder wagon in the WoR.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm one of those that also prefers WoR, though that's probably because I'm a fan of open-world games in general and WoR is the closest FF ever gets to that until Final Fantasy Bro Trip comes out in 2024.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What bothers me about the WoR is that it's short on character moments (due to needing to account for 14 characters who may or not be in the party) and it's also when the gameplay balance completely falls apart and devolves into spamming the strongest spells. The absence of structure also makes the final boss feel lacking in build-up, you just decide to go fight Kefka and then that happens. I like the ideas behind it but it was probably too much for Square to deliver on at the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

I'm one of those that also prefers WoR, though that's probably because I'm a fan of open-world games in general and WoR is the closest FF ever gets to that until Final Fantasy Bro Trip comes out in 2024.

So is Lightning Returns just selective world or something? Never really understood the line, especially when MGS5 came out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Mega64 posted:

World of FF??????????????????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Square-Enix's cloud based company, Shinra Technologies has been dissolved.

Press Release pdf from Square-Enix:
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20160106_01en.pdf

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gologle posted:

Things like "magic is overpowered" in FFVI is why I always did natural abilities only run. It's how I discovered how OP Gau is, and how like half the cast completely fall off the murder wagon in the WoR.

I could never pull off the bum rush.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Square-Enix's cloud based company, Shinra Technologies has been dissolved.

Press Release pdf from Square-Enix:
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20160106_01en.pdf

Well, they managed to accomplish a whole lot of nothing before being dissolved. Not even sure where they were really trying to go with that, either.

Tenzarin posted:

The first time I played I never really used magic. So I just had Sabin and Gogo bum rushing all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You don't have to do the motion. Just double tap directions.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Augus posted:

What bothers me about the WoR is that it's short on character moments (due to needing to account for 14 characters who may or not be in the party) and it's also when the gameplay balance completely falls apart and devolves into spamming the strongest spells. The absence of structure also makes the final boss feel lacking in build-up, you just decide to go fight Kefka and then that happens. I like the ideas behind it but it was probably too much for Square to deliver on at the time.

I think it works a bit better in deciding to storm Kefka's tower. You've gotten the band back together and everyone generally has faced their inner demons and come out on top and everyone is at their strongest since they all know Ultima. It's time to put down the guy who is literally killing our world. Even the open nature part of it reminds me of the part of Chrono Trigger after you bring back Crono and Gaspar gives you that list of quests that preps you to face down Lavos.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

V-Men posted:

You've gotten the band back together and everyone generally has faced their inner demons and come out on top and everyone is at their strongest since they all know Ultima.

Someone's projecting. We didn't all have time to grind Cactuars in the desert highlands of wherever the gently caress.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

FFX-2 question, how do I get more Sphere Break coins? I'm currently in chapter 2 but a friend warned me that I should practice Sphere Break because of a tournament later on but no one in Luca Stadium wants to play since I don't have "enough coins".

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

V-Men posted:

I think it works a bit better in deciding to storm Kefka's tower. You've gotten the band back together and everyone generally has faced their inner demons and come out on top and everyone is at their strongest since they all know Ultima. It's time to put down the guy who is literally killing our world. Even the open nature part of it reminds me of the part of Chrono Trigger after you bring back Crono and Gaspar gives you that list of quests that preps you to face down Lavos.

I mean I think that throwing literally every side quest in the game at you right before the final dungeon is one of the few big weak points of Chrono Trigger so...I dunno, whatever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

Someone's projecting. We didn't all have time to grind Cactuars in the desert highlands of wherever the gently caress.

honestly i remember it only taking like an hour to do it but then again it's possible i stopped after giving relm all the spells since she was my fav character

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
her magic stat, so beautiful, brings tears to my eyes seeing it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can't understand Relm. The only thing I found interesting about her was her being Shadow's daughteru Aeris dies and she, like me, also liked Interceptor, because he was a huge adorable puppy dog, a working livestock guarding breed like they used to make em back in the old country.

Seriously, why does she have the best magic stat in the game over Terra, literally a horrific gene monster born from dance sparkles.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I like her theme

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Gologle posted:

Gau is only OP if you set arbitrary restrictions on yourself. In a normal game he's trash.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

gigglefeimer posted:

Gau is only OP if you set arbitrary restrictions on yourself. In a normal game he's trash.

In a "normal game" apparently all your character know all the good spells, so actually, he's just as good as anybody else because if you aren't using spells in a regualr run of FFVI then lol bud.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Txn posted:

FFX-2 question, how do I get more Sphere Break coins? I'm currently in chapter 2 but a friend warned me that I should practice Sphere Break because of a tournament later on but no one in Luca Stadium wants to play since I don't have "enough coins".

Go to Djose Temple and watch the cutscene there, it should direct you to the desert where you can start digging up coins.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

You don't have to do the motion. Just double tap directions.

No way, It looked how you had to do Zangief moves in Street Fighter 2, aka loving impossible.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, it's true, you don't actually have to do the motions, you can double tap. I believe you always could? Don't worry, I didn't find out until my third playthrough of FF6 myself, which was also the playthrough I learned that all of Sabin's good moves are magic so you actually want to make him a Fist Wizard as opposed to just a regular physical monk.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Electric Phantasm posted:

Go to Djose Temple and watch the cutscene there, it should direct you to the desert where you can start digging up coins.
Wait, you can only get coins in the desert? Time to waste even more time it seems

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

Lightning Returns is openworld

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

Seriously, why does she have the best magic stat in the game over Terra, literally a horrific gene monster born from dance sparkles.

Because she's the descendant of a long line of magic people (and a ninja.)

Tenzarin posted:

No way, It looked how you had to do Zangief moves in Street Fighter 2, aka loving impossible.

Yep. Double tap works just as well as the actual motion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

I can't understand Relm. The only thing I found interesting about her was her being Shadow's daughteru Aeris dies and she, like me, also liked Interceptor, because he was a huge adorable puppy dog, a working livestock guarding breed like they used to make em back in the old country.

its bc her special was broken in a bad way so they gave her good magic to compensate, or at least thats what i choose to believe

either way going through kefkas tower annihilating dudes with a 10 year old girl never stops being funny and good to me

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Relm is not a member of the true Aryan race of Magi, her bloodline technique was reduced after centuries of mixed breeding.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Gologle posted:

In a "normal game" apparently all your character know all the good spells, so actually, he's just as good as anybody else because if you aren't using spells in a regualr run of FFVI then lol bud.

In a normal game most other characters have better specials, stats, or equipment so he's trash. Grinding for Rages is a waste of time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Hahaha you're so bad at videogames :allears:

I'm not sure why, but all this talk reminds me of Symphony of the Night. Fighting moves in an RPGlike I guess.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hahaha you're so bad at videogames :allears:

I'm not sure why, but all this talk reminds me of Symphony of the Night. Fighting moves in an RPGlike I guess.

Ok there was only one Zangief move that basically the same as bum rush, could never do it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Symphony of the Night's special moves were legitimately hard to do though, and that's if you knew they even existed. The only one I could reliably do was the three fireball/one big fireball teleportation attack. Sword familiar was out of my league, to say the least.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

Symphony of the Night's special moves were legitimately hard to do though

:allears:

You guys are giving me an ego!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mandatory lesbian posted:

honestly i remember it only taking like an hour to do it but then again it's possible i stopped after giving relm all the spells since she was my fav character

Cactuars were chump change. The easy place to grind magic experience was that island with invisible behemoths. Those dudes are super vulnerable to death magic, Mog just needed to shake his booty to kill them instantly.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Count me among the people who can't do SOTN inputs worth a poo poo. Doesn't help that without those spells Alucard's gameplay is just so bland and it makes me just want to play Aria or Circle again.

And the closest things to fighting games I've played are Smash and Dissidia so :shrug:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I got a second copy of SotN on Xbox Live and it's impossible to pull some of the spells off reliably on the lovely xbox 360 controller. I could do them all reliably on the good ol' PS1 controller.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
When I saw the news about a FF7 remake, I was pretty excited. The game was great, and a lot of people were really hoping for a remake of the game on modern-generation technology. It made me want to play the game again, so I got it on Steam when it was $5 rather than dusting off my PS1 discs and going blind looking at the enormous pixels. It all went very well, and I thought that there could be a lot of things that Square could do to improve the game and yet keep the same story and characters, but that it would necessarily have to be a very different game for ti to actually be any good.

And then I made the mistake of going to a Reddit subforum where I found out that what a lot of people (well - a lot of people posting on Reddit that obsess over a 20 year old video game) want is literally a remake of the same exact game - with the same game mechanics, ATB system featuring battles with the contestants lined up on either side of the screen taking shots at each other dutifully when their turn came up, ridiculously jarring and annoying random battles with nonsensical enemies that have no context whatsoever in the game world or in nature, and etcetera. I mean...yeah; the game was awesome 20 years ago; but wanting a developer to spend millions of dollars just on graphics and voice acting to make the literal same game 20 years later sounds like a good plan? Lol. I certainly did enjoy playing it again after so many years, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that some things could be improved upon. I'm not a fan of the whole idea of an episode-type release, but to be honest I think I like it better than a game plus pre-planned DLC and a bogus "season pass" package. Aside from that - it seems pretty sweet.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

:allears:

You guys are giving me an ego!

Sucks the Solid Snake move does the best damage and all your special moves mean nothing!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

And then I made the mistake of going to a Reddit subforum where I found out that what a lot of people (well - a lot of people posting on Reddit that obsess over a 20 year old video game) want is literally a remake of the same exact game -

Before the last trailer came out, I'd amused myself imagining SE just making an exact reproduction of the PS1 game - jerky, simplistic animations and all, just with HD, AC quality models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait wait wait. The FF7 remake is gonna come out in episodes?