Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Baronjutter posted:

You are way over thinking mirror universe. the time-line split happened when, like WWII? None of the characters should have mirror versions of each other. The whole thing is a joke (that got kinda played the gently caress out).

Presumably the mirror universe has some kind of spooky connection with the "regular" universe, and all kinds of amazing coincidences happen in both of them so that there are things like direct counterparts of main characters.

Oh, and if there was a "split", it happened way before the twentieth century. In the mirror universe episode of Enterprise, the mirror characters look over the classic literature in the prime-universe Defiant's library, and find that the broad strokes of the plots are the same, but the characters were all total wusses. (Except, for some reason, for Shakespeare.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Tujague posted:

Mirror Universe Darmok and Mirror Universe Jalad at Mirror Universe Tenagra

Mirror Universe Boothby

Mirror Universe Tard Aliens who look for things to make us go

Ill poo poo

Mirror Universe J can set things right with a click of his heels.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
mirror universe characters are all transparent n boring but friggin mirror universe vic fontaine cameo is funny as hell

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ambrose Burnside posted:

mirror universe characters are all transparent n boring but friggin mirror universe vic fontaine cameo is funny as hell

First thing Mirror Universe Kira tried to do was nail herself. :confused:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rejutka posted:

First thing Mirror Universe Kira tried to do was nail herself. :confused:

Her mirror trait is being totally narcissistic, to reflect the fact that Kira Prime is all about duty and doing what's right for Bajor and its people.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

BottledBodhisvata posted:

...Rom, who plays a halfling and is also a terrible roller.

The actor who plays Rom happens to be such a skilled dice-roller that he couldn't convincingly roll badly, so he rolled the dice with his left hand.

50/50 no one will get this joke

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Harveygod posted:

The actor who plays Rom happens to be such a skilled dice-roller that he couldn't convincingly roll badly, so he rolled the dice with his left hand.

Of course I got your baseball joke. What, do you think I'm not some kind of massive nerd?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Harveygod posted:

I, too, have read through the Fun Facts of all the DS9 actors on IMDB. A couple of my favorite things:

*Wallace Shaw literally has no sense of humor, his shtick was apparently developed by others based on some of his natural emoting
*Chase Masterson was selected as everyone's favorite female Trek character in several yearly magazine polls, considering how minor her character is I can only imagine Terry Ferrell and Nana Messenger were really pissed about that
*Everyone called Mark Alaimo "the neck" on set

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I literally had no idea who those people were until I Googled them. Does that mean I'm not a true star trek fan?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kitchner posted:

I literally had no idea who those people were until I Googled them. Does that mean I'm not a true star trek fan?

No, it means you're normal, what are you doing in this thread

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

If you googled "Chase Masterson" like I had to to remember she was Leeta, and you clicked on her Wikipedia link, then clicked on her article's "talk" pages, you'd see the sad/hilarious drama of Chase herself creating sockpuppets and using Wikispeak-Fu to keep her birthday off her article's page. Because surely without that piece of data, nobody would have ever clued in on the fact that this:

Is a woman pushing 53. Keep fighting the good fight, Chase aka Helicon Arts Cooperative aka smokefree aka Cubert aka Somaterec aka noirfilms. Nobody will ever know!

(Equally amusing is the drama of wikipedians enthusiastically calling her past employers for her tax forms and travelling to her highschool libarary to find her old yearbooks so they can have a citable source of her birthday)

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I unironically hope JJtrek 4 is some mirror universe poo poo if only because I want to see people get into earnest arguments involving the phrase "alternate reality mirror universe"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Would.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Same.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Man, that smile.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What is it about a man in jorts and white athletic ankle socks that you all find to be so irresistible?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

shadow puppet of a posted:

What is it about a man in jorts and white athletic ankle socks that you all find to be so irresistible?

His winning personality.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crosspost from lifehack thread that shows world-wide approval of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
ensign gomez is a babe

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Bea Nanner posted:

ensign gomez is a babe

I was trying to remember who you were talking about and then I totally recalled it

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

I was trying to remember who you were talking about and then I totally recalled it

i saul what you did there

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bea Nanner posted:

ensign gomez is a babe

Would spill tea all over her.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Do Ferengi even have regular sex? Don't they get off through their ears?

The gently caress are Leeta and Rom doing together

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do Ferengi even have regular sex? Don't they get off through their ears?

The gently caress are Leeta and Rom doing together

Their ears aren't their dicks dude, presumably they have dicks too.

Its not as bad as you make out, basically imagine that instead of being in your arse, the male prostate was the ears, and that by rubbing those ears you could come close to orgasm, but you still had a dick that you used for sex.

See its not that bad.

Then imagine you sit in bars and you pay women to stimulate your prostate in front of everyone in the bar.

OK now it's bad.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Quick somebody post that gif of the Grand Nagus tugging Quark's ear.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Crosspost from lifehack thread that shows world-wide approval of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

for years, the gamma quadrant has always "felt" orange to me

Synesthesia? In my vagina?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CharlieWhiskey posted:

for years, the gamma quadrant has always "felt" orange to me

Synesthesia? In my vagina?

I actually associate Cardassian space with the color orange, because their ships are that rust orange color, where as the Gamma quadrant is purple due to the color theme of Jem'Hadar ships.

e: Likewise, the Romulan Empire is green, the Klingon Empire is red (Not like the exterior of their ships, but the interior lighting, LCARS, etc. Or whatever Klingons call their version of LCARS. L'qOs or something. Which sounds like lacrosse. Whatever.)

And the Federation has the white and blue thing going on.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 7, 2016

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What I always thought was weird is that the Cardassians build their ships in the shape of their flag. It's kind of a neat design, though I'm sad that so many ships lack nacelles. Nacelles make ships more visually interesting, I think, and like you have to devote a whole big chunk of hull just to a propulsion module, which gives the ship a feeling of verisimilitude in its appearance. Insofar as that's possible in classic space opera, anyway.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
I finished ds9 and it was very good and i cried.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Are Cardassian ships the shape of their flag, or is their flag a warship?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Clark Nova posted:

Are Cardassian ships the shape of their flag, or is their flag a warship?

That should be a Klingon thing.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kesper North posted:

What I always thought was weird is that the Cardassians build their ships in the shape of their flag. It's kind of a neat design, though I'm sad that so many ships lack nacelles. Nacelles make ships more visually interesting, I think, and like you have to devote a whole big chunk of hull just to a propulsion module, which gives the ship a feeling of verisimilitude in its appearance. Insofar as that's possible in classic space opera, anyway.

What's weirder is that all the Federation ship's look aerodynamic. I mean since all these ships are constructed in space and their shape makes no overall difference to the ship, you can make it any shape you want.

Even, you know, a giant cube.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also from Memory Alpha:

"In Rom confesses that he has had too much oo-mox by himself. This seems to be one of the few references to masturbation in the history of Star Trek."

God Rom you're such a loser, if you were rich you could just have women do it for you in every public place you attend.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what was this quote from Damar

something like "my family needs an alcoholic this generation and I will fill that role"

what ep is that

I tried to google it but all I can find is alcoholism help resources

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kitchner posted:

What's weirder is that all the Federation ship's look aerodynamic. I mean since all these ships are constructed in space and their shape makes no overall difference to the ship, you can make it any shape you want.

It's uhh because warp field dynamics require curved ship shapes or something? Really, they've abandoned all consistency in ship design except for general aesthetic themes. That's why I liked the two nacelles thing, it builds limitations that you have to work around later, and that friction is where cool ideas often come from.

But it's Star Trek and I should really just relax.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Gotta have style.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

what was this quote from Damar

something like "my family needs an alcoholic this generation and I will fill that role"

what ep is that

I tried to google it but all I can find is alcoholism help resources

I don't recall him saying anything quite that on the nose, but he's pretty laissez-faire about his drinking problem whenever Weyoun pouts at him about it and that is pretty much all of season 6 and 7.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Gotta have style.

My brother gers irrationally pissed off that whenever you see two ships in a classic star trek stand off that they are both the "right" way up.

It always gets to him that the Romulan warlord doesn't decloak and it's upside down or something.

I told him it's because all the space compasses they have show which way is "up" but that just makes him even angrier.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's only polite to orient your vessel along the orbital plane of the nearest star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That would still have ships spinning like tongo wheels. Its galactic plane or nothing. The orientation is established by the galaxy you are in.The spiral arms make it clear what should be the direction of travel as well as the correct x-axis to line up along.

• Locked thread