Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That first courtyard attack is such a bastard ambush too. There are crossbowmen trying to light explosive barrels, fast dogs with faster attacks, and while you're managing those two, SURPRISE! Pursuer smokes in behind you and the only warning you get before catching a curse-stab in the back is his Darth Vader breath. It's amazingly dickish. :allears:

I can't get him to come back there though. I went up the ladder to try a plunge attack but he disappeared. I thought he just left like he does but I still hear the breathing every time I pass the place.

If he despawns you have to rest at a bonfire for him to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah when I ran up there the first time I nope'd the hell out of there to go use a flask or something and he despawned :(

edit: oh was referring to the Forest of Last Giants spawn on the platform, not Last Bastille

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think that the first Forest spawn is specifically a one time only deal, even if you go to a bonfire. But if he leaves in Things Betwixt/Bastile/Iron Keep, a bonfire will make him return.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's a one time deal in the forest

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I didn't know the Pursuer was supposed to spawn on that platform. I saw the eagle pass overhead, but he didn't drop down to murder me when I climbed up.

Instead, the mob of hollows playing dead did his job of spooking the gently caress out of me when they all got up and flanked me when I went after the grenadier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you leave the platform while the pursuer is spawned, he disappears forever from that arena

also man these falconers have such a poor drop rate for sunlight medals. I'm way too high in soul memory to get any hit for coop tho, so it's pretty much just this or ng+

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you leave the platform while the pursuer is spawned, he disappears forever from that arena

But he didn't spawn at all for me, that's the weird thing. Do you miss out on anything if you don't kill him there?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think you only miss out getting his soul and his ring a little earlier than usual.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

But he didn't spawn at all for me, that's the weird thing. Do you miss out on anything if you don't kill him there?

He drops a ring that you'll get later anyways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

there's a pause between the eagle flying overhead and the pursuer dropping down. if you dropped down inbetween the eagle flying over and the pursuer dropping, he'll just not show up I think

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love that Pursuer gets a dramatic entrance reminiscent of an Armored Core trailer; airdropped in by helicoptereagle, slowly raises his head, and his red sensor eye flashes before striking an aggressive pose.

Then you dodge to his left and never, ever get hit. When he shivers before launching curse souls at you just walk right up to him and they go over your head. He's less threatening than the Blood Starves Beast.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, thinking about it, I may have backed down from the ladder when the eagle flew overhead. Oh well, no big loss anyway since most of Fallen Giants is easy enough.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Then you dodge to his left and never, ever get hit. When he shivers before launching curse souls at you just walk right up to him and they go over your head. He's less threatening than the Blood Starves Beast.

The Pursuer might be my favorite boss so far, though that's not really saying much. Reminds a lot of DMC3 Vergil: you fight him multiple times, and his patterns are simple enough to figure out but still fast enough that you shouldn't get complacent.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Your left, his right I mean. Although HIS left is probably easy too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Your left, his right I mean. Although HIS left is probably easy too.

He's a got a shield bash, but I imagine taking that to the face is better than his quick right swing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

If you circle him counter-clockwise you don't even need to roll, but you don't know that the first time so you spend all this effort dodging his poo poo. That's actually how most souls bosses are and I don't even consider it a weakness.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

When I go towards his left I recall getting bashed by his shield but I remember rolling under his sword arm for days

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

argondamn posted:

If you circle him counter-clockwise you don't even need to roll, but you don't know that the first time so you spend all this effort dodging his poo poo. That's actually how most souls bosses are and I don't even consider it a weakness.

yea I noticed a lot of bosses where I'd just walk in a circle around them in my last run of dark souls 2

that doesn't seem to be the case with most bloodborne bosses, but I've not played the previous games enough in recent memory to be sure if you could get away with it or not. tho I bet you could with most bosses in demon's souls for sure

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Circle strafing was the premier strategy for King's Field 1 and 2 on PSX so it's just staying true to its source material

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do you get anything special for beating the pursuer at all his bonus locations in SOTFS?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You get attacked by a bunch of hollows afterwards if you consider that special.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I enjoy watching him power up into super-saiyan for his little black screaming cotton balls so I can casually walk behind him and beat him within an inch of his life with a small mace.

Haven't found all of him yet though.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Playing through SOTFS, having a blast and I like this game a lot but fuucckkk shrine of amana so so much

Guess I'm bringing a shield next time I load up the game (just ragequit after dying just before the third bonfire)

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Krowley posted:

Playing through SOTFS, having a blast and I like this game a lot but fuucckkk shrine of amana so so much

Guess I'm bringing a shield next time I load up the game (just ragequit after dying just before the third bonfire)

you can thin that group out a lot by pulling the archdrake guys with a bow. i'm guessing you're doing that already though?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
And while you're at it, snipe the magic users as well. You can also make the Cyclops drop into a pit if you shoot at it from across the gap.

Basically, bring a bow and arrows.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm avoiding shields this play through and have been slamming people into oblivion with a great sword. I'm avoiding magic too.

I would like to pick up a bow to deal with especially tricky situations (this Amana talk reminded me of my vanilla play through). I was thinking about using a poison bow so I don't have to continuously buy poison arrows, but the Dragonrider Greatbow can't be enchanted with poison! Should I even worry about making a poison bow or is it better to upgrade a bow normally and use poison arrows? Or is the DRGB garbage? I was thinking about it primarily because I can buy it from Straid now and it looks cool. I'm making a strength dude with enough dex to use whatever bow is the sweetest.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The Dragonrider Greatbow is a great bow (:v:) and what I used exclusively on my first, Str-based, playthrough. You're going to love it, go for it! Also yes, wheel and deal for all the poison arrows!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm avoiding shields this play through and have been slamming people into oblivion with a great sword. I'm avoiding magic too.

I would like to pick up a bow to deal with especially tricky situations (this Amana talk reminded me of my vanilla play through). I was thinking about using a poison bow so I don't have to continuously buy poison arrows, but the Dragonrider Greatbow can't be enchanted with poison! Should I even worry about making a poison bow or is it better to upgrade a bow normally and use poison arrows? Or is the DRGB garbage? I was thinking about it primarily because I can buy it from Straid now and it looks cool. I'm making a strength dude with enough dex to use whatever bow is the sweetest.

Don't think you can infuse any bows with poison.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I noticed there are some dex-based greatswords.

Also, are those greatbows strength-based? If so, I guess maybe I should use one instead of my lightning short bow that I have been using. Although I already cleared shrine of amana, so...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Snak posted:

So I noticed there are some dex-based greatswords.

Also, are those greatbows strength-based? If so, I guess maybe I should use one instead of my lightning short bow that I have been using. Although I already cleared shrine of amana, so...
Bows are always useful. And yes, most greatbows are str-based.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

you can thin that group out a lot by pulling the archdrake guys with a bow. i'm guessing you're doing that already though?

Mostly been playing a dodgy guy with dual poison bandit knives, and a mastodon great sword for big bads

Guess I'll be burning some titanites on a bow. Darkbow maybe?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Krowley posted:

Mostly been playing a dodgy guy with dual poison bandit knives, and a mastodon great sword for big bads

Guess I'll be burning some titanites on a bow. Darkbow maybe?

well sure, but don't feel obliged to upgrade a bow if you don't want to. the idea is more to pull a couple of archdrakes away from the casters so you don't have to fight the whole group at once.

unless you're planning on sniping the casters as well. in that case you'd obviously want an upgraded bow

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

any bow is fine, just get it up to +10; don't forget raw if you upgrade a crossbow

iron/heavy are also fine for your primary shot, since McDuff never runs out. bring an appropriate element or poison in the second slot and you're good to go

really persnickety jerks like the last sorceress at the end of the stairs in the Undead Crypt or several casters in the Shrine of Amana require a Hawk Ring to lay into them

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

unless you're planning on sniping the casters as well. in that case you'd obviously want an upgraded bow
You can snipe the casters with 4 wooden bolts and the +4 heavy crossbow you get somewhere, no need to upgrade anything if you don't want to.

It helps, obviously, but don't feel compelled to if, say, you have 10 dex and don't plan to increase it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 6, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

Do you get anything special for beating the pursuer at all his bonus locations in SOTFS?

They usually drop titanite and are often guarding pretty good treasures.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Huh, Heide's Tower of Flame was a lot shorter than I expected. Turns out that spear-wielding Heide Knight is basically a mini-boss, and I eventually learned that rolling past him during his jump-stab is pretty much the only way to kill him nice and quick.

The Dragonrider and the guard dragon by the cathedral were much easier than expected too. Of course, I should've expected From to put the NPC summon sign right by the easier boss to fool you into thinking that the other mist gate has the easier fight considering they already did the same with the Last Giant and the Pursuer...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

Huh, Heide's Tower of Flame was a lot shorter than I expected. Turns out that spear-wielding Heide Knight is basically a mini-boss, and I eventually learned that rolling past him during his jump-stab is pretty much the only way to kill him nice and quick.

The Dragonrider and the guard dragon by the cathedral were much easier than expected too. Of course, I should've expected From to put the NPC summon sign right by the easier boss to fool you into thinking that the other mist gate has the easier fight considering they already did the same with the Last Giant and the Pursuer...

How do you make it past the dragons breath? I tried running flat out first time going up and he gets me I tried waiting and he gets me. He sucks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Reason posted:

How do you make it past the dragons breath? I tried running flat out first time going up and he gets me I tried waiting and he gets me. He sucks.

I'm gonna guess "kill the dragon".

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Reason posted:

I started sprinting once it started moving then timed a side-roll towards a leg at the end, hoping that the fire breath won't track. Thankfully it didn't, and its stomps were weak poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
DS2 has a few enemies with stomp attacks, but they are telegraphed SO early it's really easy to avoid them if you aren't just button mashing and are managing stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

I'm gonna guess "kill the dragon".

I was having trouble getting past the breath part where he just breathes fire before you even get to him. lol git gud