Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I stayed at my brother's place the other day to help him out with a project fixing up his house. When I went to the fridge to make us some lunch I discovered what his $150 a month grocery bill consisted of: the only things he had in his fridge were a couple loaves of wonder bread, butter, and about 4 pounds of unseasoned cold cut turkey. His freezer had a few boxes of chicken nuggets and a bag of fries. His pantry had nothing in it aside from some dried pasta, the greasiest potato chips known to man, and pre-made dinner rolls. I offered to go out and get something because there was no way in hell that I was eating any of that bland crap, but he refused and made a turkey and bread sandwich that he microwaved for about two minutes.

I was surprised to see the butter in the fridge as he hates putting butter on anything. Asked him why he had the butter and he told me that it makes a good snack sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

Olives, capers, anchovies. Ok, three things I can think of offhand, but nice things that add their own flavour too.

Incidentally, you can make a puttanesca sauce using those three things plus tinned tomatoes, chilli, garlic, and basil -- all of which are basic store cupboard ingredients. It takes about 10 minutes (maybe 15 with prep time?) and if you refrigerate it you have decent ready meals for a couple days. Got me through university without having to resort to chips and microwave pizza like some of my housemates.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 1, 2016

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I have eaten fast food and only fast food for 80% of my meals for the last 15+ years ever since I was 4. Still alive, OP.

Also I'm not fat because when I get full I stop loving eating even if half the meal is remaining. I get full easily.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AdorableStar posted:

I have eaten fast food and only fast food for 80% of my meals for the last 15+ years ever since I was 4.

Wow, does your dad own a McDonalds or something?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Your time of carefree eating will soon be coming to an end...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AdorableStar posted:

I have eaten fast food and only fast food for 80% of my meals for the last 15+ years ever since I was 4. Still alive, OP.

Also I'm not fat because when I get full I stop loving eating even if half the meal is remaining. I get full easily.

Please get some good health insurance once you turn 25 if you plan to continue this pattern of fast food consumption.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

AdorableStar posted:

for the last 15+ years ever since I was 4. Still alive, OP.

Thread consensus: "Short-term effects vary, but invariably once you hit middle age a lifetime of fast food will catch up with you."
AdorableStar: "I'm 19 loving years old, and nothing bad has happened, or will happen, to me old man."

:rolleye:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Captain Bravo posted:

Thread consensus: "Short-term effects vary, but invariably once you hit middle age a lifetime of fast food will catch up with you."
AdorableStar: "I'm 19 loving years old, and nothing bad has happened, or will happen, to me old man."

:rolleye:

This is respectable. Achilles' choice. He's chosen the short, glorious life over the long, boring life!

Edit: His name will live on forever in history, like the Super Size Me guy. What's his name, again?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly AdorableStar.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DARPA Dad posted:

How has this guy not managed to kill himself: http://www.theramenrater.com

The guy who invented instant ramen lived to be at least 95 and ate it every day. But then Japanese people seem to live longer than white people generally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

The guy who invented instant ramen lived to be at least 95 and ate it every day. But then Japanese people seem to live longer than white people generally.

Being short correlates with longer life I think. Also most of the common Japanese diet is quite hard to get fat off I think.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i was wondering when this thread would hit the point of obsessive posting where the goon foodies would turn out crazier than the guys eating nothing but chicken nuggets and page 14 seems to be the magic number

People still can't get over the fact that you can eat a bad diet and not immediately die. Peasants in most of the pre-modern world ate incredibly awful diets, especially in Europe. Old stale bread, milk, maybe some lovely leftover cut of meat from your lord a few days a year. You washed this down with gallon after gallon of small beer--barely fermented starch water that's basically a shot of liquid carbs with maybe 1.5% alcohol. European peasants frequently lived to their 60s if a contagious disease or bacterial infection didn't strike them down early. They often spent many of those years in poor health but what we consider diseases of a bad lifestyle were just assumed back then to be what happened to people after 30. Though they didn't get fat because there just wasn't enough food unless you were a gentleman or rich burgher.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Woolie Wool posted:

rich burgher.

mmmm... rich burger

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That you won't immediately die and that it's how poor peasants lived are not really good reasons to defend weirdos with lovely diets in order to attack the people who find this bizarre. It's a pretty reasonable reaction in the modern first world where we have easy access to a varied and balanced diet and don't have to live like peasants.

If given a choice between someone who lives off chicken nuggets and someone who is completely baffled by that and wonders how anyone can survive like that, it seems obvious which is worse. Sure the Irish poor lived off potatoes and beer, but they had no choice and it was a lovely way to live, which makes it really strange when people choose to live like that now.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Why does it have to be "attack or defense"? I find strange diets very curious and interesting. The minimum variance in a diet that won't give you deficiency diseases is an interesting question.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

There's nothing strange about it. I mean, certainly it's bad, but lots of bad things in the world are easily explicable. Let's start with junk food itself. Junk food is not your great grandfather's stale hardtack. It is carefully engineered by food scientists backed by the resources of massive corporations to elicit immediate, intense gratification for the broadest selection of people possible, and cravings for more such gratification in the future. Junk food is often compared to drugs because it basically is a drug, it hijacks the brain's reward pathways. Coca-Cola is the ultimate junk food product. Gourmands wonder in complete bafflement why anyone would drink it, it is a crude, aggressive sugar bomb. It is also probably the most widely recognized and consumed brand on the entire earth. An entire postcolonial theory of "Coca-Colonization" has been named after it. Junk food is destroying cuisines across the world, thousands of years of tradition worth of food as an art form is being erased by sugar, salt, and hydrogenated oils, and nobody can stop it. The obesity and junk food epidemic goes far, far beyond shut-in nerds, it's everywhere, on every continent, affecting billions.

Now we look at the people most likely to fall into bad eating habits--often socially alienated by bad family situations, low socioeconomic status, terrible jobs, mental illnesses (especially autism spectrum disorders), etc. They sense (not always wrongly!) that friends, family, and society at large do not value them, and in turn devalue and often resent (or even despise) society back. The things that people suggest as ways to break out of the junk food pattern often hold little, zero, or even negative value to these people. This leaves a massive psychological hole where basic human emotional needs are not being met (and even the biggest super sperg in the world is an inherently social creature who suffers in total isolation, despite his protestations to the contrary), and what is there to fill this gap? Junk food. The gigantic mountain of not-quite-art we call "media". Actual drug drugs (though most nerds likely have no way of acquiring heroin, thank god :ohdear:). In the end it's basically all the same--prolefeed, pre-digested, no-effort kitsch that provides immediate, cheap enjoyment and keeps those alienated from society, family, life, and themselves by the cold machinery of late capitalism from falling into complete despair and madness, or deciding they've had enough and revolting.

Do you really think sharing your favorite slow cooker recipes with a low-income 310 lb. working mother one (inevitable) catastrophic illness away from permanent destitution or a shut-in so psychologically damaged that he's completely given up on life will stop their downward spiral? It will not. They will not care, they have nothing left to care about, except not getting fired for her and not being thrown out by his parents for him, in the back of their minds they may even think they might as well die because they're the living dead. They will die young, alone, and miserable because they are surplus humans in a world that values capital more than human life. But the prolefeed doesn't judge them. If she thinks Jesus will make the lottery ticket she buys every week a winner this time, and he believes [insert name here, I'm not up on anime] is really singing that sappy image song (written at 3 AM on a coke bender by an anonymous 33-year-old male studio musician) for him, and supersized fries make them both feel good in a superficial way when they eat them, you will not convince either of them otherwise.

Or I guess you can continue to make fun of nerds while profiting at the expense of working-class people struggling with obesity and addicted to junk food, in both the global north and south, who made your First World life with all that wonderful food you eat (a substantial portion of it likely imported under exploitative and unequal trade agreements) possible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a lot of sympathy for people with eating disorders, poors and sad-brains addicted to junk food, kids raised by lovely parents and so on. Their diets and situations are just sad. What I will never stop mocking are middle class suburbanites who's parents spoiled the gently caress out of them and stunted their pallet around age 4 and now make a huge fuss around food and have made their child-tastes a proud part of their identity and get super defensive at the suggestion they maybe grow as a person a little and work at acquiring some new tastes. Not just for their health, but so their friends and family don't have to deal with petulant fussy eaters every time a group meal or dinner out comes up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I don't think it's reasonable to assume the majority (or indeed, even a major portion) of people that have bad diets have mental health issues.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
20% of adults in the US have had a mental illness in the last year. I don't think they'd be underrepresented in a group of really picky eaters.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Anne Whateley posted:

20% of adults in the US have had a mental illness in the last year. I don't think they'd be underrepresented in a group of really picky eaters.

I'm sure they make up a portion, absolutely. However, Woolie Wool's rant is pretty much assuming that nearly all people with awful diets have some sort of mental illness that affects their diet choices. There are plenty of people with poo poo eating habits who can be comfortably grouped under "I have no idea how to cook", "I don't have time", or "this is what I grew up eating."

I'll give you an example - By all accounts my paternal grandmother was an amazing cook and my dad really didn't eat out a lot when he was growing up, part of the reason being that they were somewhat poor.

HOWEVER

The food he ate? Ukrainian farm food. Perogies, sausage, bacon, sour cream, cabbage rolls and root vegetables. Lots of meat, lots of fat, lots of dairy, light on fresh veggies. If you're out working in a field all day that sort of caloric intake is probably useful but my father is a physician, not a farmhand. If he didn't change his diet (which he did pretty much the second he left home and had to fend for himself) he'd be on his second or third heart attack at this point, like my uncle.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 7, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There've been a whole bunch of people even just ITT who've explained their backgrounds and why they eat like poo poo, and only one of them was a terminal sadbrains who is unable to feel any joy in life and that wasn't brought on by the inevitability of medical bills lol. They ate like poo poo as kids, so now they eat like poo poo as adults. I'd bet you anything so did their parents.

Culinary traditions are something handed down within families in most of the world, and a lot of times just by the women of the household; and even back when everybody had to cook their own food that didn't mean everyone was any good at it. It just takes one household who can't or won't feed their kids right for whatever reason to produce generation after generation of grown rear end adults who won't eat their vegetables and it won't stop until someone comes into the family who starts feeding the kids right. Eating McDonalds, or, y'know, bread, is not going to stop you from watching your kids have kids of their own or teaching them that the kitchen is the place where you store sauce packets, or boil beef and potatoes into a thick gray paste every day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's true cooking with my granny when I was a kid was what basically said to me "yeah you can cook stuff and eat it and it's great".

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I basically steamed a buncha brussel sprouts and broccoli last night and ate almost only that for dinner to offset this thread. Although they where salted and buttered... mmm

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I still find the behaviour of the girl who lives entirely off chicken nuggets to be strange, and it's not because of class warfare.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I basically steamed a buncha brussel sprouts and broccoli last night and ate almost only that for dinner to offset this thread. Although they where salted and buttered... mmm

I always thought I hated brussel sprouts because my parents told me that they were disgusting (same with all vegetables really). Then someone who loves them cooked them for me as an adult, and I discovered how very delicious they are (assuming they aren't boiled into mush). Now I eat them regularly (and fart a lot more).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Enfys posted:

I always thought I hated brussel sprouts because my parents told me that they were disgusting (same with all vegetables really).

This frustrates me to no end. A friend of mines sister is married to a guy who hates fish. Fine, you're allowed to hate fish. But he insists on refering to it as "yuck-fish" to his kids, and makes a big show of how disgusting he finds it whenever his wife tries serving it at home. Guess how his kids feel about fish! Why would you sabotage your kids ability to profit from a super-healthy food just because you personally don't like the taste of it? Christ, what a moron.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

the kitchen is the place where you store sauce packets

Hahaha, holy poo poo my childhood. A magical drawer filled with ketchup packets, mustard packets, BBQ sauce in a variety of colors and shapes from all the fast food places around town. It was a wonderland of sugar and artificial coloring that made food taste awesome.

But, seriously, thank god those times are over. A spice rack beats the poo poo out of that drawer, hands-down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like my jars of sauce because it's easy to put it on a bit of rice and eat it. I make my own sauce for proper meals but it's good to just have a jar of sweet and sour knocking about if you only use a tablespoon full at a time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sockmuppet posted:

This frustrates me to no end. A friend of mines sister is married to a guy who hates fish. Fine, you're allowed to hate fish. But he insists on refering to it as "yuck-fish" to his kids, and makes a big show of how disgusting he finds it whenever his wife tries serving it at home. Guess how his kids feel about fish! Why would you sabotage your kids ability to profit from a super-healthy food just because you personally don't like the taste of it? Christ, what a moron.

Hell, if I were married to someone who insulted food of mine they won't even eat themselves, I would be looking for a date with a decent person. Someone who will actually help me raise our children.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

OwlFancier posted:

I like my jars of sauce because it's easy to put it on a bit of rice and eat it. I make my own sauce for proper meals but it's good to just have a jar of sweet and sour knocking about if you only use a tablespoon full at a time.

No, no, you don't understand. When you're poor, you collect handfuls of ketchup and sauce packets from the fast food places you eat every day of the week. That way, on the rare occasion when you bake some french fries at home instead of buying them from burger king you don't have to spend 99 cents on a bottle of ketchup from the store. Since this is rare, you inevitably end up with a drawer filled with year-old mismatched packets of honey mustard and Arby's sauce.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Enfys posted:

I always thought I hated brussel sprouts because my parents told me that they were disgusting (same with all vegetables really). Then someone who loves them cooked them for me as an adult, and I discovered how very delicious they are (assuming they aren't boiled into mush). Now I eat them regularly (and fart a lot more).

This has happened to me with beets and brussel sprouts. It's funny, because the only things I didn't end up liking were things that neither of my parents liked -- and now that I've been trying those things, it turns out I actually like most of them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

No, they turned you against beets? That should be considered neglect.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Cooking for yourself is a great way to get over things you don't like. Turns out when you pay and put effort into making something yourself, you're more inclined to give it a fair shake. Brussel sprouts are/were the only food that would actually make me gag to eat (that I've actually put in my mouth anyway), but it turns out fried with some lardons and chestnuts they are good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

No, no, you don't understand. When you're poor, you collect handfuls of ketchup and sauce packets from the fast food places you eat every day of the week. That way, on the rare occasion when you bake some french fries at home instead of buying them from burger king you don't have to spend 99 cents on a bottle of ketchup from the store. Since this is rare, you inevitably end up with a drawer filled with year-old mismatched packets of honey mustard and Arby's sauce.

Oh I do that as well, but they tend to end up in my pocket in case I go somewhere that charges you for them.

And yes I end up chucking them because I never use them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Woolie Wool posted:

There's nothing strange about it. I mean, certainly it's bad, but lots of bad things in the world are easily explicable. Let's start with junk food itself. Junk food is not your great grandfather's stale hardtack. It is carefully engineered by food scientists backed by the resources of massive corporations to elicit immediate, intense gratification for the broadest selection of people possible, and cravings for more such gratification in the future. Junk food is often compared to drugs because it basically is a drug, it hijacks the brain's reward pathways. Coca-Cola is the ultimate junk food product. Gourmands wonder in complete bafflement why anyone would drink it, it is a crude, aggressive sugar bomb. It is also probably the most widely recognized and consumed brand on the entire earth. An entire postcolonial theory of "Coca-Colonization" has been named after it. Junk food is destroying cuisines across the world, thousands of years of tradition worth of food as an art form is being erased by sugar, salt, and hydrogenated oils, and nobody can stop it. The obesity and junk food epidemic goes far, far beyond shut-in nerds, it's everywhere, on every continent, affecting billions.

Now we look at the people most likely to fall into bad eating habits--often socially alienated by bad family situations, low socioeconomic status, terrible jobs, mental illnesses (especially autism spectrum disorders), etc. They sense (not always wrongly!) that friends, family, and society at large do not value them, and in turn devalue and often resent (or even despise) society back. The things that people suggest as ways to break out of the junk food pattern often hold little, zero, or even negative value to these people. This leaves a massive psychological hole where basic human emotional needs are not being met (and even the biggest super sperg in the world is an inherently social creature who suffers in total isolation, despite his protestations to the contrary), and what is there to fill this gap? Junk food. The gigantic mountain of not-quite-art we call "media". Actual drug drugs (though most nerds likely have no way of acquiring heroin, thank god :ohdear:). In the end it's basically all the same--prolefeed, pre-digested, no-effort kitsch that provides immediate, cheap enjoyment and keeps those alienated from society, family, life, and themselves by the cold machinery of late capitalism from falling into complete despair and madness, or deciding they've had enough and revolting.

Do you really think sharing your favorite slow cooker recipes with a low-income 310 lb. working mother one (inevitable) catastrophic illness away from permanent destitution or a shut-in so psychologically damaged that he's completely given up on life will stop their downward spiral? It will not. They will not care, they have nothing left to care about, except not getting fired for her and not being thrown out by his parents for him, in the back of their minds they may even think they might as well die because they're the living dead. They will die young, alone, and miserable because they are surplus humans in a world that values capital more than human life. But the prolefeed doesn't judge them. If she thinks Jesus will make the lottery ticket she buys every week a winner this time, and he believes [insert name here, I'm not up on anime] is really singing that sappy image song (written at 3 AM on a coke bender by an anonymous 33-year-old male studio musician) for him, and supersized fries make them both feel good in a superficial way when they eat them, you will not convince either of them otherwise.

Or I guess you can continue to make fun of nerds while profiting at the expense of working-class people struggling with obesity and addicted to junk food, in both the global north and south, who made your First World life with all that wonderful food you eat (a substantial portion of it likely imported under exploitative and unequal trade agreements) possible.

lol america really is going to destroy all of humanity

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

I had a roomate a few years back who claimed he didn't like vegetables. Having a hard time coping with the idea that he wrote off an entire category of food which contains nutrients that your body wants/needs, I made it a point to make him some properly cooked and seasoned vegetables. Turns out he just didn't like unseasoned vegetables that have been boiled to mush, and his diet quickly shifted to include lots of veggies.

I am a firm believer that unless you have gotten sick off of a particular food and your body has developed a taste aversion, "not liking" most any food is just something you have convinced yourself of. It could be a symptom of having a poorly prepared version of that food, or that a 6 year old you decided you hate it for whatever reason and you're too much of a baby to eat it again as an adult.

Food is nutritious and your body wants the nutrients, whether it is vitamins, minerals, and antoxidents in fruits and veggies, protein and raw calories in meat, or whatever else. Refusing broad categories of food because of some perceived ickiness is, in my opinion, incredibly closed minded and childish behavior.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

om nom nom posted:

I am a firm believer that unless you have gotten sick off of a particular food and your body has developed a taste aversion, "not liking" most any food is just something you have convinced yourself of. It could be a symptom of having a poorly prepared version of that food, or that a 6 year old you decided you hate it for whatever reason and you're too much of a baby to eat it again as an adult.

Are you saying it is impossible to simply dislike the flavour of certain foods? Cause that's a pretty dumb thing to say.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subyng posted:

Are you saying it is impossible to simply dislike the flavour of certain foods? Cause that's a pretty dumb thing to say.

Every taste is acquired.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subyng posted:

It might be, like enough to refuse to eat food with it in there? I used to HATE cilantro, but I just brute-force ate a bunch of great stuff with it and now tolerate it fine. You might not love everything, but I think with some work you can tolerate any food. Other humans are doing it, even enjoying it, and we've all got the same equipment.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Subyng posted:

people have different tastes but also some people will flat out never eat vegetables or go throw up if they're told a meal they just praised to the heavens had mushrooms in it.

this thread hasn't been great at distinguishing between opinionated and pathological, sorta like lovely cooking is somehow now the fault of kkkapitalists preferring stocks to people, people with suboptimal eating habits are apparently a blank sheet to project whatever your personal issues are onto

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

kkkapitalists preferring stocks to people

A good pantry should always have a lot of stocks. You can throw together a soup with any old poo poo laying around.

• Locked thread