Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I'm sitting on 35 million cbills...

I might spend them all on Direwolves, just because of the savings and I'll never be able to afford to master it any other time.

WHAT DO I DO GOONS!?

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Endbuster posted:

I'm sitting on 35 million cbills...

I might spend them all on Direwolves, just because of the savings and I'll never master it any other time.

WHAT DO I DO GOONS!?

Buy robots you find fun to play

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

sarmhan posted:

4 ASRM4s actually have better DPS than 3 ASRM6s- 11.48 vs 9.69. So if you have the hardpoints its generally better to get the increased DPS and narrower spread at the cost of alpha damage and increased heat.

The 6s have better sustained (which in a brawler is what I care about) since 4s are a lot more heat for the same weight/1 more slot.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Coolwhoami posted:

Buy robots you find fun to play

I do love my 100 ton death platforms. Guess I'll pony up soon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

The 6s have better sustained (which in a brawler is what I care about) since 4s are a lot more heat for the same weight/1 more slot.
You have it backwards- 4ASRM4s is actually 1 fewer crit. Obviously if you don't have 4 missile hardpoints it's not even a consideration.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
That's what I meant I just worded it poorly.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sard posted:

I'm going to regret asking this, but: Does anyone have the Mauler, especially the MAL-1R(R)? What's special about the model compared to the regular ones, and how well does it work as a fast assault SRM6+A boat? Still on the side of not upgrading to it, but I'm curious.

Well, no matter what, it's not fast, but I like the idea of 4x ASRM6.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Clan decks just got upped to 260.
I don't think this is needed at all...

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Sup I just started a new account to check out the steam release and racked up my 14.7 mil cadet bonus

The game doesn't seem too bad

I get that stormcrow is the best medium right now, but I kind of want to rebuild my old Centurion CN9-AL with the three large lasers and/or a wubcada
Is nostalgia going to lead me into a lovely place????? Or does nobody care? I'm going to get all caught up with the goons in-game when I get a chance (this weekend???)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tujague posted:

I get that stormcrow is the best medium right now, but I kind of want to rebuild my old Centurion CN9-AL with the three large lasers and/or a wubcada
Is nostalgia going to lead me into a lovely place????? Or does nobody care? I'm going to get all caught up with the goons in-game when I get a chance (this weekend???)

AL's pretty alright. If you have fun with it, roll with it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Tujague posted:

Sup I just started a new account to check out the steam release and racked up my 14.7 mil cadet bonus

The game doesn't seem too bad

could try this from metamechs:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=6ecb6e754ecf7cd6348db43f07892f48286e8479

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
SRM answer 4s have better cooldown and less heat and they focus tighter with Artemis, almost pinpoint. On an Atlas or Rhino it might not matter so much but for the mediums that can fit 4 missile hardpoints I think the 4's win out.

I use 4s+artemis on the MoM and use 6's on the menturion/loyalty cent. I also use a bigger engine on the MoM I think 360.

e: MoM is the as7-s cuz ddc is DaD and probably does 6s better

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The AL doesn't run anywhere near that hot to justify all those loving heatsinks and 3LL :psyduck:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
What is the number of TBR/ACH you can you fit in a 10 man with current weight restrictions in the reg que?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, you can just swap down to a standard 255 and cut some heatsinks like so:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=4017a38f416d3bd24b27355d5c439149ac3e0e20
A lot more survivable.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015
I had some fun with one of the moronic volunteer moderators on the MWO forum and just got an email from GM Patience telling me I should not grief the moderators. Who is this chucklefuck?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Yea, you can just swap down to a standard 255 and cut some heatsinks like so:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=4017a38f416d3bd24b27355d5c439149ac3e0e20
A lot more survivable.

I'm using this right now http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=0303d5076bd5151326639799c8cf07d8fba1267e

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ezekeel posted:

I had some fun with one of the moronic volunteer moderators on the MWO forum and just got an email from GM Patience telling me I should not grief the moderators. Who is this chucklefuck?

Welcome to every official online gaming forum ever.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

DancingShade posted:

Welcome to every official online gaming forum ever.

So true. The most self-righteous delusional pricks I ever dealt with in my life were cops and internet mods. No clue whether it is the prospect of authority attracting the worst people or the job turning normal guys into arseholes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gonna buy me a king crab. Which should I get? I like large guns, being bad at assaults and long walks on the beach at 47.9 kph.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/219035-ntex-owes-lowtax-100m-cbills/

funsies

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No, don't post any context. We all understand this and it is in now way confusing to outsiders.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

sebmojo posted:

Gonna buy me a king crab. Which should I get? I like large guns, being bad at assaults and long walks on the beach at 47.9 kph.

Triple 0. 4xUAC5s or 2xAC20 at your leisure.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Or just get the banshee and get cored in 3 hits because it doesn't have assault structure bonuses and has a huge centre torso :toot:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

sebmojo posted:

There's something about King Crab butts that compel me to shoot them in the rear CT every time.

Ezekeel posted:

So true. The most self-righteous delusional pricks I ever dealt with in my life were cops and internet mods. No clue whether it is the prospect of authority attracting the worst people or the job turning normal guys into arseholes.

qft and don't forget FPS game server admins. I got banned from sub.io in PGS within 2 days of first playing there because I muted some sperglord who wouldn't stop raging all the time named Cole and he apparently cried to the admins about it.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 6, 2016

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

TheParadigm posted:

Of thunderbolts to get, which are the best 3 right now?

everything but the 5s.

9s = 3 * ER Large
9se = 3 * Large Pulse
5SS = 7 * medium pulse

edit: poo poo i just gave away my CW deck.

havent heard a peep fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 6, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

liquidfire posted:

everything but the 5s.

9s = 3 * ER Large
9se = 3 * Large Pulse
5SS = 7 * medium pulse

edit: poo poo i just gave away my CW deck.

The 5S is fine with the generalized quirk pass and probably more fun than the 9S. It's not as "oh god avoid it" as before for basic-ing (and the 9S is not the PPC hellion in CW it used to be.) SRMs work now and there are solid 2xSRM6A+LL builds that are fun to run on it.

A lot of people seem to have the Top Dog now and if you want two others 9SE and 5SS are probably your better two.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 6, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

Maulers will also be available in a few weeks and they're pretty great.

If you buy a variant with an XL engine though tear that poo poo off immediately and go STD all the way.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm trying to make the awesome a good mech and may have made a few potential breakthroughs involving spamming the poo poo out of large pulse lasers. The big challenge is getting that particular variant to elite so I can use it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Commoners posted:

I'm trying to make the awesome a good mech and may have made a few potential breakthroughs involving spamming the poo poo out of large pulse lasers. The big challenge is getting that particular variant to elite so I can use it.

Dude straight up wait until they rescale it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Commoners posted:

:thumbsup: I've been saying for weeks now that the LPL is the best weapon in the game without question.

edit-- next time someone in the brown sea calls you out for being an rear end in a top hat, use this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gtFF9fpnvk

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 6, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

can someone do a brief effortpost on how not to suck at assaults?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Commoners posted:

I mastered the Awesome using the -8Q, the -8T, and the -8R.

The Q used the 4x PPC build until that got scaled back a little (I now use either 2xPPC+2xLPL, or 2xPPC/LPL+5xMPL), but oneshotting some mechs with an alpha never gets old. :laugh:

-8T could be handled with 4x LPL (I prefer this one), 2xLPL+3xMPL, 5xMPL 2xASRM6, or 5xMPL 2xLRM15. For the last build, don't be a bad and hang back; you are supposed to advance while firing the lurms. They're there to piss off targets out of wub range, but once they're in range or you're out of missiles, switch to wubbing. The cooldown quirks are downright insane.

For the -8R I did something like 2xLL/LPL 4xASRM4 (or 4xASRM6, depending). You can't facetime like an Atlas, but you make pretty good fire support and the missile quirks make you nasty. Don't stuff it with LRM15s despite the quirks for it.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Join a goon queue with Randy, suicide at the start of the game, and study his Daishi play.

serious answer: I'd also like to read about how to do assault because given the weight restrictions, you gotta do a lot of work for your team every single game in order to make hogging up all the team's available tonnage worthwhile.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

1. Don't pub drop.
2. Goon drop and make sure everyone knows you're an assault because hopefully they will follow you.
3. You are the Push. Don't push alone, see 1 and 2.
4. You will be focus fired, torso twist and roll damage and while under focus fire attempt to spread damage, don't worry about dealing it because presumably #2, if You can snap fire do so.
5. Be vocal in mumble. You don't need to be yell boss but if you are going to push call it out so you don't go in alone.
6. don't run LRMs.
6.5. Be Randy. Run good builds, hit R, and know how to aim. Aim for the weak points.

7. It would be helpful to know the assault you want to run because many play differently.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 6, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The 5SS has all those range quirks and it's actually better at large lasers than pretty much any other robot in IS, you can put all 3 in the right torso and they are all up high too so it peeks like a motherfucker. At one point when I was doing a lot of clan wars for ACES I was going to just buy 3 and use them as my drop deck.

3 large lasers, 3 medium pulse and a std 275 5dhs and AMS with 1.5 tons of ammo. Peek and poke all day long.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

sebmojo posted:

Your build and the robot you are using matter wayyyyy more than with any other class. If you take a mediocre assault you are really screwing your team because that is so much lovely tonnage that could have been a good robot. This is also why taking LRMS on an assault is so bad, you are taking all that armor and structure and leaving it out of the real fight.

You need to know all the maps already too, if you don't know the map well you are going to take a wrong turn and get lost or hang back for too long figuring out where to go and then you'll get ganked by a light. So play heavies for a while to learn all the maps before going to assaults. Atlas is an exception to this since it's faster than most of the other assaults, but you should be a really good SRM brawler via centurions or the missile hunchback before driving the atlas.

Don't peek unless your mech is specifically fantastic at it, (peeking over the tops of a hill in a stalker is fine, peeking the tunnel on crimson straight with a direwolf or crab is a bad idea). You are much better off letting the other guys peek into you and blowing the poo poo out of them that way, especially since they are usually eating so much lead they can't see to fire back. Also given the wide stance and arms that most assaults have you are only going to be shooting half your guns if you peek a corner, whereas if you are reacting to the other guy peeking he's eating your entire alpha.

You have to pick your moment to push, if you lead out a push and no one follows you then, whelp, you have to wait until everyone is obviously going before committing.

Lastly, you are a bully, if you know there are two injured heavies around the corner and you have any armor at all then you should just push in and kill them. Especially if your in some kind of 1v1 standoff you need to just shove it in there as hard as you can.

Washout fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Update about my computer situation for those who were interested (because I had been talking about it quite a bit the past week):

I am giddy like a schoolgirl. The game is so fluid now! I feel like I can brawl, head shot, and torso twist effortlessly now! I am getting a minimum of 60fps on Viridian Bog. I feel like I have arrived. It's like a night and day difference from my laptop.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Now I understand why it's called the arctic cheater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Just installed this and played a few games with some goons - I blew up a lot, but in a fun way :v:

the best bit was in my last game where we were playing skirmish on a forest map and the entire enemy team decided to rush the beach, leading to a goon being reduced to repeatedly saying ".... who does that?!" while we get carefully removed from the map one by one

• Locked thread