Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

boom boom boom posted:

Since you called Gundam stupid, no.

It's good modeling but the show is not good. Except the pro wrestling one and even then eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I'm honestly baffled as to how someone can read Captain Carrot as a ubermensch leading his society as a dictatorship. I mean yes, he's a guy who's basically supposed to become king by divine right, but what actually happens is that he deliberately avoids that fate at every turn in order to continue as a public servant. He's not perfect by any means (I recall that he doesn't believe in contraception) but unless there's an interview or something I'm not aware of I don't see any reason to believe that he's some sort of authoritarian wank material on Pratchett's part, rather than just part of an interesting setting.

I read it more as inherently more able to lead by nature of his birth. Which pisses me off. Same as the Diamond king, Troll nature is derivative of the stone they are made of.

Like I said, I'm just bitter. I just don't like the idea of a city state who's future prosperity is based on personality than sytematic stability. There is nothing in Ankh Morpork that will keep the place running after Vetinari dies. The corruption in the police force will return as soon as Carrot is forced out of office (after Vimes is dead). Even if they manage to get someone to take their place, you still have the grandson conundrum: Once your great king (say, Louis VIV) has died, his son can carry on but the son of his son will never have known the effort in creating the structures of his powers and exercises his powers without respect to stability. So Ankh Morpork is actually doomed, and it's all the fault of Carrot and Vimes for not establishing a good democratic system.

edit:

Xlorp posted:

Snuff represents a dramatic departure from stated ethical principles and racks up a comical body count of really bad and black-clad evildoers. Everyone who is not them enjoys it tremendously in service of the plot device.

Oh no! You've given me an excuse to run through the greatest hits again. The best part about harebrained theories is they can be re-analysed at any time.

Cool!

DS9 and Pratchett? It's like I'm a teenager again!

edit 2:

oh yeah, and the worst diorama ever!

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 6, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bad Moon posted:

It's good modeling but the show is not good. Except the pro wrestling one and even then eh.

You should read Gundam Sousei. It's a manga that recounts the true story of the creation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's pretty crazy what happened behind the scenes to create such an important anime

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 6, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bad Moon posted:

8th MS Team and Stardust Memory are both good shows if you like military sci-fi drama stuff. I'm really only a fan of the UC timeline Gundam stuff since it's the closest to an actual scifi canon with less shonen in it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

El Estrago Bonito posted:

8th MS Team and Stardust Memory are both good shows if you like military sci-fi drama stuff. I'm really only a fan of the UC timeline Gundam stuff since it's the closest to an actual scifi canon with less shonen in it.

If you liked those, you should check out Gundam Thunderbolt. It's another One Year War sidestory, the first episode just came out, and it's amazing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

If you liked those, you should check out Gundam Thunderbolt. It's another One Year War sidestory, the first episode just came out, and it's amazing.

It's on the official gundam.info account

https://youtu.be/MVAlkOHdNME

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Another problem with the idealism in Star Trek is that it says, "If we had no scarcity, we'd all agree with each other." That means that there's no room in the Federation for (major) ideological conflict or outright war, even though wars routinely happen in Star Trek. It's just that those wars are fought with other species. It basically means that there's only one right (human) ideology, so once we all have enough food, we'll all know the Right Morality. It's sort of like the nerd social fallacy where if your friend Alice doesn't like your friend Bob, then obviously one of them must actually be a Bad Person.

Going by this thread there will be wars fought between the factions holding B5 or DS9 to be the objectively better show and people executed because they didn't agree with a regime's current assessment of the worth of the Gundam franchise. Low level guerilla warfare will be fought by sects defending their one true interpretations of plots and fictional characters.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

boom boom boom posted:

You should read Gundam Sousei. It's a manga that recounts the true story of the creation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's pretty crazy what happened behind the scenes to create such an important anime

Still looks inferior to Full Metal Panic :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How is it that people have been talking about military sci-fi anime and nobody has yet mentioned Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which is the one undeniably good anime in existence that just so happens to have a really bad title.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Illvillainy posted:

Are they any decent Hy-Gogg and Kampfer ones (i.e the two best OYW Zeon MSs besides the Zaku II)?

Word. The two stompyest MSs

boom boom boom posted:

important anime

hummmmmmmmm

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Jonny Nox posted:

I read it more as inherently more able to lead by nature of his birth. Which pisses me off. Same as the Diamond king, Troll nature is derivative of the stone they are made of.

Like I said, I'm just bitter. I just don't like the idea of a city state who's future prosperity is based on personality than sytematic stability. There is nothing in Ankh Morpork that will keep the place running after Vetinari dies. The corruption in the police force will return as soon as Carrot is forced out of office (after Vimes is dead). Even if they manage to get someone to take their place, you still have the grandson conundrum: Once your great king (say, Louis VIV) has died, his son can carry on but the son of his son will never have known the effort in creating the structures of his powers and exercises his powers without respect to stability. So Ankh Morpork is actually doomed, and it's all the fault of Carrot and Vimes for not establishing a good democratic system.

You do realise that both Vimes and Vetinari are setting the city up so it can outlast them, right? Vimes trains cops so they can train others. I mean, if you believe that the second either of them die then everything goes to poo poo again, then what stock do you put in a "good democracy" that could get corrupted equally as quickly?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Outside of robots and spaceships, Gundam doesn't really have much sci-fi stuff. People generally dress normally and drive regular cars.

This above all else is ultimately what keeps me from liking Gundam outside of G Gundam. A very small number of the bad guy mechs and none of the good guy mechs look like they actually belong in the world the shows take place in. Which is okay for a campy romp like G Gundam, but when it tries to be all series war story or shonen power fantasy it takes me right out of the show.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

You guys must live in an alternative universe than me. The Force Awakens is great. DS9 is bad. B5 is great. GW is bad. Mantic is also kind of bad but also really wants to be good but they are focusing their terribly limited resources on a zombie skirmish game rather than expanding their current lines and fixing their terrible customer service.

If you don't like DS9 you are stupid and also wrong.

How can you like B5 and dislike DS9 when they're basically the same? Without the huge sudden rush to finish and terrible final series on another channel that B5 got saddled with tainting DS9.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taear posted:

If you don't like DS9 you are stupid and also wrong.

How can you like B5 and dislike DS9 when they're basically the same? Without the huge sudden rush to finish and terrible final series on another channel that B5 got saddled with tainting DS9.

Because DS9 is, while not quite a rip-off, is obviously 'inspired' by B5. The B5 universe is also just more interesting than Star Trek's.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I enjoyed B5 at the time, but have later come to realize that B5 is really only made good by the ambassador characters (Andreas Katsulas RIP, Peter Jurasik, and Mira Furlan) and their assistants. None of the human characters are in any way compelling, well-acted, or well-written.

Still, the series managed to do a loooot with a shoestring budget, so kudos there.

Also I don't really understand the whole nerdargument of "nuh uh, B5 is better! nuh uh, DS9 is better!" Guess what? It is possible to like both of them despite their similarities!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Snuff represents a dramatic departure from stated ethical principles and racks up a comical body count of really bad and black-clad evildoers. Everyone who is not them enjoys it tremendously in service of the plot device.

Snuff is, unfortunately, the moment where Pratchett's illness affects his work. The writing is atrocious - it's like a well-meaning fan wrote the book for him. It's almost entirely overblown expository dialogue and every character "reads" very differently to his previous books as a result.

I still enjoyed the story he was trying to tell but ugh. Very sad.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Drone posted:

Also I don't really understand the whole nerdargument of "nuh uh, B5 is better! nuh uh, DS9 is better!" Guess what? It is possible to like both of them despite their similarities!

Hmm... No, I think you have to pick one then knife fight to the death for it's honour. That's how we've always played it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drone posted:

I enjoyed B5 at the time, but have later come to realize that B5 is really only made good by the ambassador characters (Andreas Katsulas RIP, Peter Jurasik, and Mira Furlan) and their assistants. None of the human characters are in any way compelling, well-acted, or well-written.

what the gently caress kind of person doesn't like bruce boxleitner and doesn't think richard biggs - who had to lip read everyone else in his scenes because he was basically completely deaf - didn't always give a fantastic performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWqCaa3nWc

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Broken Loose is right about everything except Fury Road.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Milky Moor posted:

what the gently caress kind of person doesn't like bruce boxleitner and doesn't think richard biggs - who had to lip read everyone else in his scenes because he was basically completely deaf - didn't always give a fantastic performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWqCaa3nWc

Bruce Boxleitner is fine. Captain Sheridan is boring.

Though not as boring as Sinclair I guess.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i haven't seen TFA

thanks for listening guys.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drone posted:

Bruce Boxleitner is fine. Captain Sheridan is boring.

Though not as boring as Sinclair I guess.

i find it hard to criticize sinclair given that michael o'hare was apparently dealing with pretty intrusive paranoid schizophrenia (delusions, hallucinations, etc) during his time on the show. this is why he left after season 1.

it makes the episode where those two conspiracy guys induced hallucinations in sinclair kind of unsettling, to say the least.

the b5 cast really had a lot of difficulties. but that's part of the appeal of the show. everything stacked against it, and b5 still managed to tell the story they wanted to tell.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is absolutely amazing since JMS has since proven to be a giant pile of poo poo. I have no idea how someone whose writing I have since found so bad did something so good. He's not like, Lucas levels of turn gold to turd, maybe more Kevin Smith? I really loved the B5 as a kid (I can remember watching the pilot as a wee kid and it was loving amazing), but I think it's a bit of a different story than DS9 so I don't really have the two eternally battling in my soul.

I wish Crusade had found a home instead of getting crapped on but maybe that's for the best. Or maybe it did come back and was total poo poo.

edit: although to be fair to the prequels I think if he had a good team able to say no it had a good heart of a story and it made tonnes of money anyway

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i think it is because JMS put every single idea he had over, what, two decades into B5 and everything else has kind of felt like a bit of a rehash since then. at least, that's the impression i've got from seeing some of his stuff since B5 - it's like he'd just completely tapped his creative well.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Broken Loose is right about everything except Fury Road.

This is really hosed up and I will die on this hill unless you reveal that you really meant to say that Fury Road is better than I said it was

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Broken Loose posted:

This is really hosed up and I will die on this hill unless you reveal that you really meant to say that Fury Road is better than I said it was

sorry I probably confused you with whoever was slagging off Fury Road, my eyes sort of glazed over there for a while

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Fury Road being lumped in with Jurassic World is the moment I ordered Exterminatus on this thread.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Fury Road was okay, I guess. Not a patch on Mad Max 2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I had to Google what Fury Road is because I don't give a poo poo about movies

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
DS9 is better than B5 only because B5 had such lame scripts and bad acting and ugly design. B5 had very cool ideas behind it and the story (without the weird time compression that happened in season 4 for other reasons) was also neat. But B5 did not have Garak so there's no real way to argue that it was better.

Edit: you should all just read and post in the Trek threads, either the GBS or the TVIV one. Remember, this is the thread for XWing and Gundam.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

Fury Road being lumped in with Jurassic World is the moment I ordered Exterminatus on this thread.

Whoever loving said that is worse then Hitler.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Due to Imperial Bureaucracy the Exterminatus will take several centuries to arrive and obliterate the terrible posts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Helicon One posted:

Due to Imperial Bureaucracy the Exterminatus will take several centuries to arrive and obliterate the terrible posts.

Due to the warp it came in too early and that's why we needed a second death thread made.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

drat thats dramatic

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Phoon posted:

drat thats dramatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcSuAhbtIFg

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, it's not canon. Like I said. Everything before the Disney buyout, except the movies, went into the garbage can. Where it belongs. Flowers

When I started scrolling down I assumed this was a weed-mech or something.

I don't understand what is and isn't handsome anymore.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
I should watch Ping Pong one of these days. I adore Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bongwizzard posted:

When I started scrolling down I assumed this was a weed-mech or something.

I don't understand what is and isn't handsome anymore.

Oscar Isaac is handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just how much is the anime industry paying boom boom boom to constantly shove their terrible dorkbots into this thread?

• Locked thread