Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

He's old friends with Kentaro Miura. When they were young they would do these manga camp things where they would sit around brainstorm and draw manga in probably tank tops and underwear in some ratty apartment with no a/c but who knows just speculating. Got this from some little comic Miura or darkhorse put at the end of a berserk volume. In the same comic or maybe a different one he also said beserk was at least originally supposed to be a combo of rose of versailles and fist of the north star. good choices.

That's an awesome descriptive and telling image to think of but it also makes such perfect sense. (Speaking about both manga camp with miura and the inspiration for berzerk).
By the way, new chapter of Kaiji is out. Be sure to check it out if you are a fellow Seinen afficionado of great patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TheFallenEvincar posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

ANIME IS GOD GOD IS ANIME :anime:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world still reading this lol
gently caress, why is someone out there drawing fanart of the lovely essay I wrote back in highschool

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

That's an awesome descriptive and telling image to think of but it also makes such perfect sense. (Speaking about both manga camp with miura and the inspiration for berzerk).
By the way, new chapter of Kaiji is out. Be sure to check it out if you are a fellow Seinen afficionado of great patience.

Just read it. I like this new crazy kaiji who has embraced the spirit of gambling. I am also liking the concept of one poker. It is a game that will definitely lead to a lot of despair + metaphors. gently caress, I mean we already have those crazy statues of people as 200 million yen poker chips. FKMT is the master.

In the end, all I want is for Kazuya and Kaiji to be best friends.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, the Monster Tidbits 2 Omake was pretty amazing.

Was that a reference to The Thing?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the superior political satire to that guys manga is the world is mine cause it's got a giant rear end loving bear that some crazy, gay?, old dude tries to kill. Also some burtal rear end loving murders and when I say brutal I actually mean it in the rarely used in manga discussion way, so real brutality that actually kind of made me feel sick as in ill. Not like berserk where guts brutal chops like 5 dudes in half and I'm like that was fuckin sick.

honestly ive havent read much of this guys manga and maybe suicide island is good I dont know got enough poo poo to read but poo poo holyland sucked balls. If this guy was telling the truth about having been in a number of street fights he must have got his rear end kicked every time because he gives so truly questionable advice. At one point he suggests backing yourself into a corner against a karate street fighter to stop them from using round kicks? Like dude, now you're in a corner with no where to go so whoa he can't use round kicks now he will just use other kick or just punch you in the face cause you are not really going to be able to dodge or create distance because you are in a corner. gently caress. also when the wrestler explains that he is better when fighting on grass or sand because on concrete and asphalt if he can't shoot low or whatever on takedowns cause he will scrap his knees. hahaha what!!! just wear jeans dude. or scrape your knees cause the alternative is getting knocked the hosed out. also the mc becomes an elite fight via uhhhh literally lots of shadow boxing(just 1 2 lol), kicking a pad with the same kick for a few hours one time, and read probably a tkd book and practices doing a spin side kick. then he uses that side kick to beat some super good high school kendo stick fighter or whatever. it's funny as gently caress. you see, he could hit the kick but due to distance he could not be hit severely with the stick + knocks the guy out with one blow. he also does some dopey rolls to increase and close the distance but uhhhh I guess you can't swin a kendo stick enough to hit a target bellow waist height. this shits all just funny coming from a manga that is supposed to be realistic hahaha. oh yeah he also did 100 push ups everyday.

the real reason I dropped it was because all the characters where garbage and the king of trash town was the mc. drat did he suck. just terrible. he reminds me of the mc from eden: it's an endless world, which is a manga that I also believe is worthless. I also really like talking about manga I vehemently disliked.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 6, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suicide Island is mostly okay, though it has some seemingly questionable views on women/gender roles. Like, there seems to be this implied message that the MC couldn't be happy in real society because he wasn't fulfilling his destined role of being a hunter who returns to his mate after each hunt.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
March Comes In Like A Lion anime.

Produced by SHAFT, directed by Akiyuki Simbo.

I... don't know how to feel about this, actually. I'm not sure SHAFT or Simbo's usual stile would fit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

Dungeon Meshi is real good. Not holy balls amazing, like let's say OPM, but reaaaaaaallllll good.
factually incorrect

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
We're really calling him Simbo now? Ugh.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Finished reading the first half of Planetes via the Dark Horse Omnibus, it was fantastic. I really like the way Yukimura handles spiritual and psychological stuff in his works.

Outside of a few translation errors/typos this was a great release... fifteen bucks was a steal for this. Seriously, the artwork on high quality paper looks gorgeous.

Can't wait for the second half to come out in May.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

I... don't know how to feel about this, actually. I'm not sure SHAFT or Simbo's usual stile would fit.
simbo with an nhk budget and airing during the daytime?

lol you crazy, thats gonna be incredible

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol simbo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

simboooooooooooooooooooooooo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Simbowns

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

i am extremely excited.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

crazy shaft backgrounds and poo poo while rei goes into his own head during a match of shogi, its gonna be epic

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the superior political satire to that guys manga is the world is mine cause it's got a giant rear end loving bear that some crazy, gay?, old dude tries to kill. Also some burtal rear end loving murders and when I say brutal I actually mean it in the rarely used in manga discussion way, so real brutality that actually kind of made me feel sick as in ill. Not like berserk where guts brutal chops like 5 dudes in half and I'm like that was fuckin sick.

honestly ive havent read much of this guys manga and maybe suicide island is good I dont know got enough poo poo to read but poo poo holyland sucked balls. If this guy was telling the truth about having been in a number of street fights he must have got his rear end kicked every time because he gives so truly questionable advice. At one point he suggests backing yourself into a corner against a karate street fighter to stop them from using round kicks? Like dude, now you're in a corner with no where to go so whoa he can't use round kicks now he will just use other kick or just punch you in the face cause you are not really going to be able to dodge or create distance because you are in a corner. gently caress. also when the wrestler explains that he is better when fighting on grass or sand because on concrete and asphalt if he can't shoot low or whatever on takedowns cause he will scrap his knees. hahaha what!!! just wear jeans dude. or scrape your knees cause the alternative is getting knocked the hosed out. also the mc becomes an elite fight via uhhhh literally lots of shadow boxing(just 1 2 lol), kicking a pad with the same kick for a few hours one time, and read probably a tkd book and practices doing a spin side kick. then he uses that side kick to beat some super good high school kendo stick fighter or whatever. it's funny as gently caress. you see, he could hit the kick but due to distance he could not be hit severely with the stick + knocks the guy out with one blow. he also does some dopey rolls to increase and close the distance but uhhhh I guess you can't swin a kendo stick enough to hit a target bellow waist height. this shits all just funny coming from a manga that is supposed to be realistic hahaha. oh yeah he also did 100 push ups everyday.

the real reason I dropped it was because all the characters where garbage and the king of trash town was the mc. drat did he suck. just terrible. he reminds me of the mc from eden: it's an endless world, which is a manga that I also believe is worthless. I also really like talking about manga I vehemently disliked.
I can understand a lot of this but through all of Eden's weird dumb poo poo I still take offense at calling a series that produced this completely "worthless"

Lookit that dog go. Good dog

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
eden is perhaps one of the most astoundingly terrible series with some of the nicest art to accompany its worthlessness

a handful of "great" pages don't save that 126-chapter travesty

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's interesting because I remember Eden being quite good for the first two thirds. It was an interesting look about war in a semi-dystopian future and then how war hosed up the survivors. Then the last third turned into some kind of weird trans-humanism plot I didn't care about. Am I thinking of some entire other series?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sweet, first new Witch Craft Works after a pretty long while.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Pierson posted:

That's interesting because I remember Eden being quite good for the first two thirds. It was an interesting look about war in a semi-dystopian future and then how war hosed up the survivors. Then the last third turned into some kind of weird trans-humanism plot I didn't care about. Am I thinking of some entire other series?

nah thats pretty much eden. It's meandering and slow paced and not much happens in it. But I feel that pacing is sort of deliberate and it works for what it is.
What violence and depravity there is is very dispassionate and in your face. Very brutal. Ending was super strange though, not sure what that was.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I started reading it because of the artwork and general premise but it just got really boring and I don't think I've tried to pick it up again after the 1st 20 chapters or so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Sweet, first new Witch Craft Works after a pretty long while.

It would be nice if Takamiya could meet a sane person. But no, he enlisted the help of the sanest people he knew and one of them speaks via hand-puppet and lives in his ceiling to watch him sleep. The other has an enormous shrine to her cousin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wild Horses posted:

nah thats pretty much eden. It's meandering and slow paced and not much happens in it. But I feel that pacing is sort of deliberate and it works for what it is.
What violence and depravity there is is very dispassionate and in your face. Very brutal. Ending was super strange though, not sure what that was.

That's the thing. I binged the whole series over a short period and I can tell you right now that the brutality and carnage on a regular basis meant to never expect any character besides the mc to live more than 10 chapters. Like it was absolutely expected. And then, one of the last chapters, they literally were just like "it all comes down to dicks and pussies"

They literally create a giant space penis cannon to shoot a wad of jizz made up of human consciousness into a wormhole vagina. That is not hyperbole or sarcastic in any way

The character writing is crap, hell they gave one character a straight up happy ending and only brought them back specifically to kill them off, like "whoops, let me fix that mistake!"

It is a garbage series with wasted good artwork

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 7, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Didja read The World is Mine? It's basically the same but with more anti establishment 'amerikkka' hate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It would be nice if Takamiya could meet a sane person. But no, he enlisted the help of the sanest people he knew and one of them speaks via hand-puppet and lives in his ceiling to watch him sleep. The other has an enormous shrine to her cousin.

Witches be crazy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Wild Horses posted:

Didja read The World is Mine? It's basically the same but with more anti establishment 'amerikkka' hate.
Naw.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I can understand a lot of this but through all of Eden's weird dumb poo poo I still take offense at calling a series that produced this completely "worthless"

Lookit that dog go. Good dog

eh, this is manga lot's of wacky poo poo is to be found. I'd say that dog is average. here is a real good dog in manga

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

eh, this is manga lot's of wacky poo poo is to be found. I'd say that dog is average. here is a real good dog in manga

My dog could beat up your dog

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ringo Roadagain posted:

i can't read that poo poo

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Wild Horses posted:

President of the US got a strong ending in that one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've read all of the Boku Dake manga and I just watched the ERASED pilot, and I swear I don't remember him actually having a superpower that kicks in at any life-threatening event. As far as I can remember, the extent of his situation was that he was hopping back and forth between childhood and adulthood. Can someone refresh me: has this power ever manifested past the first chapter, for something other than hopping between the two major time periods?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

ANIME IS GOD GOD IS ANIME :anime:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world still reading this lol

even all the people translating it hate it & no one was upset when it went on indefinite hiatus again

his other series are way better. he's incapable of writing new personalities for protagonists, they all act exactly the same and when it approaches morality or politics you can tell the writer thinks he's way smarter than he is

gay devil fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 8, 2016

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Boogaleeboo posted:

President of the US got a strong ending in that one.

The entire world (is mine) got a strong end.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the thing. I binged the whole series over a short period and I can tell you right now that the brutality and carnage on a regular basis meant to never expect any character besides the mc to live more than 10 chapters. Like it was absolutely expected. And then, one of the last chapters, they literally were just like "it all comes down to dicks and pussies"

They literally create a giant space penis cannon to shoot a wad of jizz made up of human consciousness into a wormhole vagina. That is not hyperbole or sarcastic in any way

The character writing is crap, hell they gave one character a straight up happy ending and only brought them back specifically to kill them off, like "whoops, let me fix that mistake!"

It is a garbage series with wasted good artwork

The intro chapters and what it seems to promise for the story/world still hooks me to this day and I will always be disappointed by what we actually ended up getting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

even all the people translating it hate it & no one was upset when it went on indefinite hiatus again

his other series are way better. he's incapable of writing new personalities for protagonists, they all act exactly the same and when it approaches morality or politics you can tell the writer thinks he's way smarter than he is

The translator for it lately is a garbageperson though. Tons of translator comments in the margins most of them creepy as gently caress or just unnecessary at best.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Golden Kamui has been on a tear with the last couple of chapters. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/golden-kamui-r16663

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

Golden Kamui has been on a tear with the last couple of chapters. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/golden-kamui-r16663

Ah, awesome, I had completely forgotten about that series after reading the (at the time) couple chapters that were translated.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Argue posted:

I've read all of the Boku Dake manga and I just watched the ERASED pilot, and I swear I don't remember him actually having a superpower that kicks in at any life-threatening event. As far as I can remember, the extent of his situation was that he was hopping back and forth between childhood and adulthood. Can someone refresh me: has this power ever manifested past the first chapter, for something other than hopping between the two major time periods?

Yes it has. You just don't remember the first few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

L-O-N posted:

Yes it has. You just don't remember the first few chapters.

Yeah, it triggered a few times in the most tense moments