Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're not worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Martytoof posted:

Wait really?

Oh maybe that's when it comes out of Beta then and I've been waiting for no reason :mad:

edit: So I'm not sure why I can't access it. I'm in the beta program but it's not an available service for me :(

It's been in private beta. Public beta starts the 15th.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Oh hey, in annoying UI changes news the 9.2 update removed the ability to just "make available offline" tracks.

Now you have to add it to your Apple Music library whereupon the little "download" icon appears in the top row of the three dots popup window. Gone is the textual button.

Good choice, Apple. Now it's 2 steps instead of one. Downloading it used to also automatically add the track to your music library. Guess that was too intuitive and easy.

Removing a track also requires 2 steps. Press "delete" and then select delete from Apple Music or remove download.

Sigh.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

beefnoodle posted:

It's been in private beta. Public beta starts the 15th.

It works in the Sonos app but to be honest, I think I expected some sort of integration with the regular Music app. Accessing it from Sonos feels just a tad bit awkward, but hey, it works. I can't seem to access playlists, as in search for playlists that have certain keywords in them from within Sonos and apparently albums cut out near the end of songs and switch over to the next.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, how can I get my live Pearl Jam bootlegs back on my iPhone? They play fine on my computer, but just play the studio version on my iPhone. Syncing playlists individually with the tracks on it doesn't seem to move any physical tracks to my phone either.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It doesn't seem possible; I have a ton of songs that select some terrible re-recording or cover and there's no way to force it to upload the master copy.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah, Apple Music's metadata matching is bad. You can't even get the master copies synced to your phone via iTunes with iCloud Music Library turned on, because iTunes assumes you'll just download what you want from your device. You can use Apple Music without iCloud Music Library, but that removes a lot of the advantages of a streaming service in the first place (no collection feature or synced playlists.)

Despite this, Apple Music might still be the best option if you want to mix non-streaming files. Spotify's local files support has been, and will continue to be a disaster (plus I had these matching issues there too), and Google Play Music might still not be able to shuffle correctly in 2015.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was having that issue before too, here's the solution I found. Delete the song from your icloud library, and reupload it. Make sure you do it on it's own, as when you do batch stuff it gets confused way more easily. I had a bunch of NIN stuff that was live showing up as the studio versions, and various remixes, all doing this and that fixed it.

Make sure you completely delete it from icloud though. Otherwise it won't force the re-scan. Also your mileage on this may vary.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You know what's totally loving awesome? It's totally loving awesome when Apple Music decides to, for the second time, delete your entire god drat loving saved library when you're on a plane ride.

I mean, look, the icon in the top right says this album has been saved and clicking on it gives me this message telling me right loving there that the album has been saved to my phone and asks if I want to delete it.

But, when I try to play any of these songs I get told to connect to a loving data connection. What the gently caress is the point of having these songs downloaded to my iPhone, if I need a loving data connection to play the songs?

Oh but no, it's a buggy piece of poo poo because for other songs it randomly works, even though the message says I need a data connection. Even though it doesn't say I have these songs downloaded to my iPhone. These songs were all saved to my iPhone at some point, by the way. I never deleted them so I don't know why they just randomly loving deleted. None of the other songs in this album are playable. This is literally the only song from this album that will play.

Since I'm on a plane in flight I should probably turn Airplane Mode on, right? Look what loving happens when I turn Airplane Mode on. Look what happens when I turn it off.

What the gently caress. Seriously what the gently caress.

e: vvv Yeah my subscription has been canceled and I've asked for a complete refund because gently caress this. I could understand my saved music disappearing one time while I'm on a flight, but now it's happened twice and what the hell is up with the app in those last pictures I've posted. vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 19, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
There's legitimately 0 reason to use Apple Music over Spotify unless you're living and dying with my girl T.Swizzle. And even then, just buy her music and put it on your phone. At this point, I'd go so far as to use a 3rd party music player like Albums or Ecoute or something instead of Music.app -- it's that bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I chose to go with Apple Music because it integrates better into iOS apps. If I want to play Spotify music while I use my Jogging app I need to worry about whether my jogging app is going to stop playback of my Spotify app or something like that. I'd rather not subscribe to two streaming apps, one for my iPhone and one for everything else, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll fix this stupid stuff.

I'm also experiencing the weird download bug as described above and it's super frustrating. I'm still giving them my business, especially now that I have Sonos integration, but it's not all roses.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Gotta love the awesome tech support.

"Eric, before anything else, please do understand that it is not possible to save songs from your Apple Music to your device as it is just a streaming service."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Boris Galerkin posted:

"Eric, before anything else, please do understand that it is not possible to save songs from your Apple Music to your device as it is just a streaming service."

Oof, that is bad :(

You know how emailing Tim sometimes gets things fixed? I wonder if emailing Eddy Cue might help for some of this.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Two things that Apple Music does for me (that Spotify can't do) are smart playlists and editable tags. It's a small thing, but I appreciate being able to edit the dates of the compilation/remastered album to fit my smart playlists. Spotify used to allow this, but for some reason stopped. This makes working with local files a heartbreaking experience.

If I weren't so personally invested in smart playlists (and if I didn't have like $80 in iTMS credit) though...

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 19, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MrBond posted:

Oof, that is bad :(

You know how emailing Tim sometimes gets things fixed? I wonder if emailing Eddy Cue might help for some of this.

Too bad I'm not a ~tech blogger~ so my email would probably go ignored.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Email Tim Cook's email anyway. Someone reads it because people have emailed it in the past for issues with support or apple stores and gotten callback/email reply. I don't think the issue will be fixed immediately but it is good to make someone up the chain realize that these sorts of issues are costing them customers. I search for music to listen or click on browse playlist so it works for me but there are times it's been buggy or things haven't worked right that get me thinking I should switch back to Spotify or give Google Play Music a whirl.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am not a ~power user~ by any means but Apple Music's feature set has worked fine for my needs and I haven't had any major issues with it.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, it is obnoxiously buggy, but it's still better than other streaming services. I've always used iTunes, so that integration is delightful. I can actually store more than 10k songs, and their catalog seems much better than others'.

It's just that using the phone apps is a painful experience. That and the annoying matching problems I mentioned earlier that I understand have plagued the service for a long time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just tried it on my iPad on 9.2. Anything that I've marked as available offline plays, even if I'm in airplane mode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As someone who's spent quite a bit of time in the past two weeks on the phone with Apple Music tech support, I can confirm that the Apple support people don't know a single loving thing about their own product.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't know why people expect more from Apple Music. Apple is notorious for being horrible at web-based services and it's being worked on by the team that did Beats Music - a service we all ignored. I don't get it. I really don't. There's no reason to expect this service to be good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Beats and liked it a lot. They took out some of the stuff I liked on Beats, though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A concert DVD of Taylor Swift's 1989 tour released today for Apple Music subscribers. I suspect they're about to get a bunch more (trial) subscribers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know why people expect more from Apple Music. Apple is notorious for being horrible at web-based services and it's being worked on by the team that did Beats Music - a service we all ignored. I don't get it. I really don't. There's no reason to expect this service to be good.

I mean I think I can expect Apple Music to not do the stuff I showed it did in my post a few above.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I sent these same pictures to the iTunes Support people I've been emailing (which is a different one every time so I don't understand why they keep introducing themselves) and I also cc'd Tim and Eddy and called them out in my response and I got a response back from iTunes Support and it's bad. Like, really really bad.

"I'm not sure who Tim or Eddy are, but again I'd like to apologize for the confusion on behalf of our previous advisor."

:cripes:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You have to call them by their internal names: T-dawg and Dynamite Eddy.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
The support people are probably contractors living in India.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
They're also probably handling support for other products from other companies at the same time, and their training was probably a pamphlet and a computer with Google as the homepage.

Tech support is almost never worth your time, except for companies to use as a gauge for the most common complaints. Strangers on the Internet are more qualified.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bass Bottles posted:

They're also probably handling support for other products from other companies at the same time, and their training was probably a pamphlet and a computer with Google as the homepage.

Tech support is almost never worth your time, except for companies to use as a gauge for the most common complaints. Strangers on the Internet are more qualified.

Sometimes problems from tech support will bubble up to engineering or management if enough about the same ones come in, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen if they're messing up basic facts in this case.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Apple gets a good portion of its tier 1 support staff from it's college program. It's a pretty sweet gig as far as a college jobs go. My roommate got $11/hr, holiday pay, cheap business internet(since she worked from home), health insurance benefits, 401k matching(lol), and a massive discount on apple products.

It's only a year-long contract though and I don't think there's any way to directly continue working at Apple through it, so there's probably always a bunch of noobs.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
Just started the three month trial of Apple Music Family Sharing account and I've hit my first speed bump.

My dad is the primary account with his Visa info set up. But we're all adult children in our household with existing Apple accounts and purchases. I've my MasterCard set up on mine. But it's started affecting my new purchases.

I went to buy an app on my iPhone and it asked for my dad to put in his own password. Then I attempted to buy the same app on iTunes on my MacBook and it asked for my password, but charged my dad's Visa.

I can't seem to set my MasterCard as my primary card for purchases now. It has to be with my dad's Visa.? I've lost my independence with my Apple account. Has anyone else run into this problem Is the only way to stop this for me to leave the Apple Music Family Sharing account?

This isn't a big problem for the rest of the family though. My dad and myself are the only two family members that really buy apps, etc.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's how family sharing works. Easiest solution is to buy iTunes gift cards and redeem them on your account so when you make purchases it pulls the funds from that.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Yeah very annoying. I am the master on my family's account (siblings and parents, no children or anything). I just don't even ask for the money back since they maybe purchase $20 of stuff a year all combined.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Aaannnnddd I'm out. I've had it since day one, as well as Spotify, and for what I do I like Spotify better. Yes I like T Swift, and yes I like my iPhone, but for making playlists that just work, Spotify just seems to run smoother between the desktop and IOS app. Besides, I already own the T Swift stuff I like, I'll just sync with my MacBook Pro.

Also, the discovery feature of Spotify is way better, as are their pre built playlists.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Every radio station except Beats 1 will require a subscription next week. This is funny because since iTunes Radio was cut to ribbons for the Apple Music launch it wasn't worth paying money for.

Back to Pandora I go.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Every radio station except Beats 1 will require a subscription next week. This is funny because since iTunes Radio was cut to ribbons for the Apple Music launch it wasn't worth paying money for.

Back to Pandora I go.

I know they're discontinuing iAds, but has Apple made a statement about the radio stations? I've seen a lot of speculation, but if you've got a link to something that would be nice.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

I know they're discontinuing iAds, but has Apple made a statement about the radio stations? I've seen a lot of speculation, but if you've got a link to something that would be nice.

Buzzfeed has this:

quote:

"We are making Beats 1 the premier free broadcast from Apple and phasing out the ad-supported stations at the end of January,” an Apple spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. “Additionally, with an Apple Music membership, listeners can access dozens of radio stations curated by our team of music experts, covering a range of genres, commercial-free with unlimited skips. The free three-month trial of Apple Music includes radio.”

[...]

On Wednesday, BuzzFeed News reported that Apple’s iAds division — which sold advertising to be displayed within iOS applications — was shutting down. iTunes Radio’s move from ads to subscription is directly related to that, a source familiar with the situation confirmed.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

flosofl posted:

Here's a MacRumors article with the email

What sucks is that they're also killing the radio stations for iTunes Match subscribers. That was like.... half of the reason I paid for iTunes match, which just renewed for a full year lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks. And drat, that sucks. I use the radio quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only radio stuff I ever used (being able to manually make stations based on specific songs/artist/albums you put in yourself) got cut when they launched Apple Music so I don't care.

• Locked thread