Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm disappointed that no one at all commented on shooting 7 red dice out of an A-wing. Clearly I have to up my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Strobe posted:

I'm disappointed that no one at all commented on shooting 7 red dice out of an A-wing. Clearly I have to up my game.

We're all quietly stifling our erections.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bottom Liner posted:

I need Kylo's command shuttle fiercely. FFG PLEASE

Kylo Ren (-5 SP, Crew upgrade)
"Whenever you perform an attack that fails to damage the defender, either discard one [SYSTEM], [MODIFICATION] or [CREW] upgrade; or suffer 2 damage. This card has a negative squadron point value."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Otisburg posted:

"Whenever you perform an attack that fails to damage the defender, either discard one [SYSTEM], [MODIFICATION] or [CREW] upgrade; or suffer 2 damage. This card has a negative squadron point value."

Kylo Ren (1 sp, Crew upgrade)
If your opponent has either Han Solo(Crew) or Han Solo(Pilot) they must immediately discard it

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Otisburg posted:

Heh, I was thinking:

Kylo Ren (2): After you perform an attack against an enemy ship, you may suffer 2 damage to cause that ship to suffer 1 damage.

So, exactly the same as Darth Vader, just not as good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Both of those are dumb.

Kylo Ren, 5 pts
"Once per round, before you reveal your dial, you may choose an enemy ship at range 1 and reveal its dial. If the revealed maneuver is red, you may assign that ship a stress token."

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Kylo Ren (1 sp, Crew upgrade)
If your opponent has either Han Solo(Crew) or Han Solo(Pilot) they must immediately discard it

What do you think happens if you discard a ship card? O.o

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Strobe posted:

Both of those are dumb.

Kylo Ren, 5 pts
"Once per round, before you reveal your dial, you may choose an enemy ship at range 1 and reveal its dial. If the revealed maneuver is red, you may assign that ship a stress token."

Is the joke here that Kylo Ren is terrible?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

admanb posted:

What do you think happens if you discard a ship card? O.o

"...Replace all "Han Solo" pilot elements (base token, card) with "Chewbacca" pilot elements. All other upgrades/titles deployed to the ship remain the same. Discard any "Chewbacca" upgrades that are illegal due to unique restrictions. When attacking a ship with the Kylo Ren [crew] upgrade, before the "roll dice" step Chewbacca may place one die on the "crit" result. That die may not be further re-rolled or modified."

E: I realize, of course, that's WAY to much :words: for an upgrade card, but we're just havin' fun cloud talking here.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 5, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

admanb posted:

Is the joke here that Kylo Ren is terrible?

The joke is he looks in your head and feeds on anger/fear/stress because the effect of that is to either make every ship in range 1 maneuver like it's stressed, or else you get to pick its maneuver. Goodbye K turns, stalls, sloops, and trolls.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Kylo Ren (0) - Once per game you may whine pitifully about how your list is stronger than your opponent knows.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just picked up the VII Core set and holy poo poo am I pumped to play this. I have yet to read through the full thread but I plan on just getting cool ships to play with friends and maybe think about doing competitions.

I was thinking of new ships they could add, like the V-Wings, Missile Boats, Assault Gunships, TUGS, the Uglies, Skipray Blastboats, etc. I also hope they think of adding additional objectives like Golan Platforms to blow up, cargo containers to inspect/defend, etc.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just picked up the VII Core set and holy poo poo am I pumped to play this. I have yet to read through the full thread but I plan on just getting cool ships to play with friends and maybe think about doing competitions.

I was thinking of new ships they could add, like the V-Wings, Missile Boats, Assault Gunships, TUGS, the Uglies, Skipray Blastboats, etc. I also hope they think of adding additional objectives like Golan Platforms to blow up, cargo containers to inspect/defend, etc.

:evilbuddy:

I got the core set and briefly thought I'd moderate my commitment by sticking just to Ep VII stuff. Couple weeks later and I have done several big lot purchases and trades out of other games that I'm hoping I can get some Epic Play in with the cruiser and raider I got on order.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I also hope they think of adding additional objectives like Golan Platforms to blow up, cargo containers to inspect/defend, etc.

They've done some of these in scenarios included with the large-based ships like the Millenium Falcon, and I think there are some in the Aces boxes as well.

edit: there's a list here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Strobe posted:

Cluster Missiles?

I'm not convinced that 4 dice then 3 dice is better than 5 dice straight up in most cases; getting to defend twice is a negative - but double the chance of token spending is a positive.

Still, Prockets are cool and good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

Cluster Missiles?

I'm not convinced that 4 dice then 3 dice is better than 5 dice straight up in most cases; getting to defend twice is a negative - but double the chance of token spending is a positive.

Still, Prockets are cool and good.

Prockets plus Opportunist on Jake supported by Jan. It was 7 dice in one roll, with TL and focus (and Guidance Chips).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

Prockets plus Opportunist on Jake supported by Jan. It was 7 dice in one roll, with TL and focus (and Guidance Chips).

OK yeah that's good poo poo.

Getting Opportunist on a high-PS pilot is a trick though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

OK yeah that's good poo poo.

Getting Opportunist on a high-PS pilot is a trick though.

I was running Jan with TLT and Squad Leader, along with Garvin with Decoy. Jake also had Juke. Jan fired the TLT to strip tokens, Garvin fired second (at PS 7) and gave his focus to Jake, who got his focus and adjusted position. Ideally he'd have a full suite of actions (evade, TL, focus) to take the shot, and since Opportunist triggers against ships with no tokens, Juke also results in more unavoidable damage.

I think if I ran it again I'd swap Juke one of either PTL, Predator, or Outmaneuver (honestly, Predator most likely), but it has the potential to just melt anything up to 6 health reliably and do serious damage to anything on the board. It's absolutely possible, with a little luck (and a bump, because Jake can do that at PS 7 to aces), to throw more hits than Soontir is literally capable of surviving even on a perfect roll.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Strobe posted:

I was running Jan with TLT and Squad Leader, along with Garvin with Decoy. Jake also had Juke. Jan fired the TLT to strip tokens, Garvin fired second (at PS 7) and gave his focus to Jake, who got his focus and adjusted position. Ideally he'd have a full suite of actions (evade, TL, focus) to take the shot, and since Opportunist triggers against ships with no tokens, Juke also results in more unavoidable damage.

I think if I ran it again I'd swap Juke one of either PTL, Predator, or Outmaneuver (honestly, Predator most likely), but it has the potential to just melt anything up to 6 health reliably and do serious damage to anything on the board. It's absolutely possible, with a little luck (and a bump, because Jake can do that at PS 7 to aces), to throw more hits than Soontir is literally capable of surviving even on a perfect roll.

Isn't Garven PS6? How is he shooting before Jake?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ro5s posted:

Decoy lets you swap your PS with another friendly ship at range 1-2.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ro5s posted:

R2D6 and VI presumably.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

R2D6 and VI presumably.

R2-D6 and Decoy, because otherwise Garvin can't benefit from Jan's Squad Leader.

It's a Rube Goldberg machine of a list but it's fun as hell.

I could probably come up with a flowchart, but it'd be like fifty different steps. The end result is to have Jake holding a focus, TL, and evade with no stress while at range one of an enemy with no tokens. It's difficult, but not impossible.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 6, 2016

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just bend over and sacrifice your wallet now. I bought my first starter last week and within ten days I've already had to upgrade my carry case to hold all my ships.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Game is still a billionty times cheaper than 40k or Flames of War. And everything is already painted!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ghetto wormhole posted:

Game is still a billionty times cheaper than 40k or Flames of War. And everything is already painted!

This, honestly, is a bigger issue than the price for me. If I want to try a different ship it even a whole new faction I can just grab it while I'm at the store.

No painting time, no building time, no extra rulebooks needed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Hopefully it doesn't come out looking like hot garbage.

(a few hours later)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

They've done some of these in scenarios included with the large-based ships like the Millenium Falcon, and I think there are some in the Aces boxes as well.

edit: there's a list here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

So fantasy flight has a mission builder(?) on their site, has anyone had experience with that or other custom missions? I'd love to play some scenario type missions (I should look closer into the co-op campaign which is super cool) once I do the ones that came with the expansions/core set

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I hope you guys are as excited about guidance chimps as I

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

(a few hours later)

That is loving sweet! Those colors and lines are so crisp.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

oh my god they're real

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ConfusedUs posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm actually glad these simian helpers are coming on a ship that might be valuable to mini-swarm. For a point more, it feels like TIE Adv. Prototype offers some advantages over the FO, and with that nice 1pt title might be worth running 4 or more? IDK not an expert, but probably gonna nab 4 b/c why not?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, I just got back from a STORE LEAGUE™ where I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing.

First of all, I have no idea what MOV is or how to calculate it, which is good because I forgot my phone and could not access the internet! Fortunately while my opponent was calculating up MOV the guy responsible for organizing the league (which I did not actually know started today and I joined on a lark!) quickly interjected that it didn't matter, wins were 3 points and losses were 1, draws 2, fly casual. The prizes are an alt-art Vader, an alt-art Gunner, and... Extra Munitions tokens? I don't give a poo poo. I'm just there to fly some wangs. Anyway.

Girlfriend demolished folks and went 2-0 in her league games. I only managed to get in one, and it was harrowing, but I did win, so I'm 1-0. The guy from the smaller shop whom I know best, who is pretty good, is not only out to a 2-0 start but is in my schedule of games (everyone got four opponents, seeded at random), and though I don't care exclusively about winning I would like to win... so I'm worried, sorta. (This is the guy who ran 3 shuttles and Omega Leader and had me on the ropes for a bit. With what is essentially a joke list.)

Only league game I played was against a naked Firespray + Carnor Jax + Soontir Fel, and I just straight up outflew him from the jump. He left Soontir way too close to Han Solo, and with Gunner and Han working in tandem eventually ate a tremendous attack (hit/hit/crit/crit) that crippled him, and Poe easily finished him off. Poe dodged Carnor effectively, T-Rolled into position, and promptly evaporated Carnor Jax. At this point, he has a naked Firespray with 2 hull left, and I have Han with full hull and 3 shields, Poe is shieldless but full hull.

Then I accidentally flew Han off the map.

Then Poe rolled double blank on two straight combats.

I managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (after nearly doing the exact opposite), and I'm glad, because I would've kicked myself hard for losing that match.

I played a casual game against my Empire-loving friend and utterly annihilated him with Han and Poe; he flew Vader, Soontir Fel, and Carnor Jax, and I managed to destroy Vader in a single salvo from Han (hit/crit/crit/crit) while Poe neatly killed Carnor again - a recurring theme. I would barrel roll out of range 1 from him, Focus, then move + Boost back into arc, and then I don't spend the token because ha ha I'm Poe Dameron and then Carnor dies. The End. Poe and Han at nearly full health versus a solitary Soontir felt like a formality, and essentially was. I think he just badly misplayed the beginning of the game, since he was trying to joust a guy who had absolutely zero interest in doing that (and then promptly murdered Vader in a single attack, which was admittedly just horrible luck for him to roll three blanks but seriously who stays in range 1 of Han with Gunner?). He later wound up using my Han and Poe list against a guy who ran a StarViper with Guri, a Z95 and two Scyks, and he mysteriously bodied him. :confuoot:

It seems like Empire dominates the lists of the guys at the bigger shop, and Soontir Fel is in about half of the lists fielded; I'm feeling pretty good about Gunner Han, but I can totally be swayed on PTL. Considering Predator on him instead, since it does not change the cost at all and I find myself Evade+Boosting rarely as Han. (I do K-Turn a bunch, though.) I get that Han generally doesn't "need" actions, but that Evade totally helps me tank through otherwise-irritating lists (the guy I'm worried about facing runs a bunch of accuracy correctors and advanced targeting computers and I just fuckin' hate 'em) and Boost on the Millennium Falcon just feels really good. Predator, though... Predator I think I'm legit switching in.

Now, to get a copy of Predator...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It comes in the Defender and the K-fighter.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

It comes in the Defender and the K-fighter.

Or if you primarily play rebels and are patient, Predator comes with the Ghost.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, all this talk of people with like six stores that play X-Wing and league tournaments and stuff just makes me depressed that I have like three other people I get to infrequently play with.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the two nice, clean, well lit FLGSes with ample play space in my area does a pretty popular "Flightpath Fridays."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

One of the two nice, clean, well lit FLGSes with ample play space in my area does a pretty popular "Flightpath Fridays."

There are two local game stores in my area, as in really local, the cleaner and nicer of which has tried to organize X-Wing (and Dice Masters) events before but nobody shows up, so it was basically the owner paying for a tournament kit that he then later just parceled out to a few interested people. The less clean place has also been trying to organize stuff but, again, no dice. On a good day there you can get three people playing, including myself. Both store owners have relayed that X-Wing does sell fairly decently for them, it's just apparently none of the people buying it are interested in playing anywhere but home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kai Tave posted:

There are two local game stores in my area, as in really local, the cleaner and nicer of which has tried to organize X-Wing (and Dice Masters) events before but nobody shows up, so it was basically the owner paying for a tournament kit that he then later just parceled out to a few interested people. The less clean place has also been trying to organize stuff but, again, no dice. On a good day there you can get three people playing, including myself. Both store owners have relayed that X-Wing does sell fairly decently for them, it's just apparently none of the people buying it are interested in playing anywhere but home.

Start a local X-wing facebook group. Go to each store and tell them to pimp the facebook group to anybody that comes in and buys X-wing stuff. That's what sucked me into the local events.

• Locked thread