Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

H110Hawk posted:

Seems like you have your head on straight, though I would make sure there are clear goals outlined for you. I would make them start your benefits Day 1 (health, vision, dental, 401k, vacation accrual, etc.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria

Benefits start day 1.

Overall I think I lose about 3k in benefits if I move, but the previous employer said end of year bonus will land me net positive. Hard to count on future money that's not guaranteed but I'm still not out much if bonuses are weak. Add the 5k raise next year and I'm back ahead.

What I'm working out is the difference in work experience and what it does for my career in the future. Current job is slow, monotonous, easy. It looks fantastic on a resume ($$finance network security$$) but I'm not really building skills or getting hands on experience. Previous job is fast, creative, hard, and I was building a wealth of applicable career skills while getting satisfaction from my accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Benefits start day 1.

Overall I think I lose about 3k in benefits if I move, but the previous employer said end of year bonus will land me net positive. Hard to count on future money that's not guaranteed but I'm still not out much if bonuses are weak. Add the 5k raise next year and I'm back ahead.

What I'm working out is the difference in work experience and what it does for my career in the future. Current job is slow, monotonous, easy. It looks fantastic on a resume ($$finance network security$$) but I'm not really building skills or getting hands on experience. Previous job is fast, creative, hard, and I was building a wealth of applicable career skills while getting satisfaction from my accomplishments.

Take it, gently caress it.

I would negotiate a goal to double your raise. "Look, I'm really serious about growing my abilities and responsibility here. I want a goal which will prove to you I am worth double the raise."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

And its time to job hunt. Just got laid off because newjob just lost its biggest client that I was hired to support.

I hate job hunting so very much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

And its time to job hunt. Just got laid off because newjob just lost its biggest client that I was hired to support.

I hate job hunting so very much.

Where do you live?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

H110Hawk posted:

Where do you live?

DFW area. But I want to relocate out of the south so very very much, lol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

DFW area. But I want to relocate out of the south so very very much, lol.

Dfw might be the easiest place to find a job in the entire country. Next time avoid msp work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

Dfw might be the easiest place to find a job in the entire country. Next time avoid msp work.

Actually was a direct hire, but it wasn't an MSP, it was a hosting provider type company that was trying to compete with Rackspace.

Not expecting huge problems finding a new job, but it never hurts to reach out in every possible direction. Might hit true gold via a fellow goon.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Server small

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

There's no guarantee that your marketable skill now will be marketable ten years from now. If you got a job as a petroleum engineer because it was lucrative you're quite possibly looking at unemployment right now because oil is cheap as hell. If you joined the masses getting law degrees 20 years ago to make bank you might very well be making less than you did when you were waiting tables. Taxi driver? Hope uber doesn't exist in your city or you're about to take a massive pay cut to work as a contractor. College Professor? You probably won't get tenure, but if you're lucky you *might* remain employed part time.

This assumes that industry trends aren't observable and that people can't add to and improve their skillset. Right now, it's fairly obvious the way the industry is going with respect to things like virtualization and SDN. I work with customers whose network engineers are stuck in the 90s and have made themselves obsolete because they never bothered to learn about things like routing protocols and LACP. Do you think doctors and lawyers can just sit there with the same body of knowledge they learned in med school and law school? No, they have to keep up with their industry. Even union workers are required to learn new equipment, techniques, and technologies, and usually also become certified in them.

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 6, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If I get another person telling me their salary requirements for a job that is, at most, one step above helpdesk are at least 85k+ a year...:shepicide:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Kashuno posted:

If I get another person telling me their salary requirements for a job that is, at most, one step above helpdesk are at least 85k+ a year...:shepicide:

West coast US?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Check the job posting. I've applied for a lot of "network engineer" jobs with demanding responsibility descriptions/requirements, only to have the hiring manager tell me in the interview that I'm over qualified and they're looking for someone willing to take $40k.

HR people are terrible at understanding IT jobs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

West coast US?

Boston. I mean, yeah, you should expect a bit more income than compared to somewhere in the midwest or something but when you start the conversation with "Well, ideally I'd be somewhere between 90-105k a year but could go as low as 85" we are both wasting our time.

KillHour posted:

Check the job posting. I've applied for a lot of "network engineer" jobs with demanding responsibility descriptions/requirements, only to have the hiring manager tell me in the interview that I'm over qualified and they're looking for someone willing to take $40k.

HR people are terrible at understanding IT jobs.

This isn't a bad idea. HR tried to change it 3-4 times before posting it, which were shot down by both myself and the IT manager. Now I'm wondering if they changed it without consulting us at all :ohdear:

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 6, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

If you can't find anyone with the salary you're offering it might not be the applicants that are crazy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

If you can't find anyone with the salary you're offering it might not be the applicants that are crazy.

I don't think people who are A+ certified with one relevant job in their job history and are applying for a pretty entry level position are worth 85k+ :shrug:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Kashuno posted:

HR tried to change it 3-4 times before posting it, which were shot down by both myself and the IT manager. Now I'm wondering if they changed it without consulting us at all :ohdear:

Not unprecedented. I worked for a place where we needed a new Desktop Admin. They wanted to post the description of a Call Center agent because it'd be cheaper. We fought, we lost. It was a poo poo show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

I don't think people who are A+ certified with one relevant job in their job history and are applying for a pretty entry level position are worth 85k+ :shrug:

I agree, but every job posting here, they give a salary scale right on it saying based on experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

A person with one relevant job in their experience sounds like someone qualified for a job one small step above entry level.

Maybe you should post the job requirements.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kashuno posted:

Did you ask them what salary they were looking for first or was that their counteroffer? If you asked them what salary they wanted and they gave you that figure, did you tell them to gently caress off or did you actually tell them what you were offering? Have you never negotiated a salary before?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Not unprecedented. I worked for a place where we needed a new Desktop Admin. They wanted to post the description of a Call Center agent because it'd be cheaper. We fought, we lost. It was a poo poo show.

Had the IT Manager talk to HR about the job description and turned out this was the problem; a lot of "1-2 years experience" and "x is a plus" became "5-7 years experience" and "x is required." The job posting they ended up listing is something that I'm unqualified for and it would be a position under me. I am really enjoying our new HR person.

While I'm on the subject, this thread has me feeling like I'm possibly undervaluing myself? I took over as sysadmin here not too long ago after our previous sysadmin left, and am making just over 60k a year. I'm A+ certified with an Associates in compsci, so not especially field relevant.

anthonypants posted:

Did you ask them what salary they were looking for first or was that their counteroffer? If you asked them what salary they wanted and they gave you that figure, did you tell them to gently caress off or did you actually tell them what you were offering? Have you never negotiated a salary before?

They started out that high, I told them what we're offering. And nope this is my first time talking salary and interviewing people!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Kashuno posted:

While I'm on the subject, this thread has me feeling like I'm possibly undervaluing myself? I took over as sysadmin here not too long ago after our previous sysadmin left, and am making just over 60k a year. I'm A+ certified with an Associates in compsci, so not especially field relevant.

I got $55k/yr as a "Sysadmin" (glorified AD Account Jockey. No other responsibilities.) in your area about 5 years ago. It depends on what you're actually doing/responsible for now.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

psydude posted:

This assumes that industry trends aren't observable and that people can't add to and improve their skillset. Right now, it's fairly obvious the way the industry is going with respect to things like virtualization and SDN. I work with customers whose network engineers are stuck in the 90s and have made themselves obsolete because they never bothered to learn about things like routing protocols and LACP. Do you think doctors and lawyers can just sit there with the same body of knowledge they learned in med school and law school? No, they have to keep up with their industry. Even union workers are required to learn new equipment, techniques, and technologies, and usually also become certified in them.

I don't believe you. :colbert: What exactly do you do if you're a network engineer and don't understand routing protocols? And LACP? Really? Port binding has been a thing since the 90s.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DigitalMocking posted:

What exactly do you do if you're a network engineer and don't understand routing protocols?

Loooots of static routes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Had the IT Manager talk to HR about the job description and turned out this was the problem; a lot of "1-2 years experience" and "x is a plus" became "5-7 years experience" and "x is required." The job posting they ended up listing is something that I'm unqualified for and it would be a position under me. I am really enjoying our new HR person.

They started out that high, I told them what we're offering. And nope this is my first time talking salary and interviewing people!

loving called it. If I applied for that position and you told me I'd be making less than 60, I'd tell you to go pound sand and be pissed you wasted my time.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

loving called it. If I applied for that position and you told me I'd be making less than 60, I'd tell you to go pound sand and be pissed you wasted my time.

:agreed:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Benefits start day 1.

I personally dont think taking a pay cut would be worth it but it seems like you really want to go back. Are you able to study at all during your boring monotonous job? Couldnt you just keep making good money and study for certs and do projects that help you out and then move on? Thats kind of where I am at with my current gig. Its slow and boring but every once in a while something comes up and in the meantime got a cert and am working towards a couple more.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

KillHour posted:

Unironically probably a good idea to contact the candidates and let them know what happened and apologize, unless you want to develop a reputation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

Unironically probably a good idea to contact the candidates and let them know what happened and apologize, unless you want to develop a reputation.
BCC the director of HR on every reply

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I personally dont think taking a pay cut would be worth it but it seems like you really want to go back. Are you able to study at all during your boring monotonous job? Couldnt you just keep making good money and study for certs and do projects that help you out and then move on? Thats kind of where I am at with my current gig. Its slow and boring but every once in a while something comes up and in the meantime got a cert and am working towards a couple more.

Both jobs offer opportunities for certs. I've got N+ and CCNA, and I need S+ before June to keep the N+ active. Boring job approved a 1 year CBTNuggets sub and will pay for 6 tests this year. It's hard to stay motivated to study though since I don't do anything else. Previous job now offers 3 hours a week to disconnect from phones and support to study, and even without this I managed to get the CCNA in my spare time at that job.

The one thing I'd be bummed about losing is current job is footing the bill for VCP in July. I don't really want to get into virtualization, more of a networking kinda guy, but was going to use that to grab more money at my next job regardless of if I used it or not.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

KS posted:

The typical answer is a digi usb over network device and secure the dongle in a fire suppressed area. Make sure your property insurance covers the dongle.

Since it's out of business, that changes the picture. there are emulation packages for most types of dongles. You need to figure out what type of dongle it is to get specific software recommendations.

Its a Safe Net Sentinel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you ever get in the situation where you're wondering "How can this many people be so stupid," it's probably not them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Both jobs offer opportunities for certs. I've got N+ and CCNA, and I need S+ before June to keep the N+ active. Boring job approved a 1 year CBTNuggets sub and will pay for 6 tests this year. It's hard to stay motivated to study though since I don't do anything else. Previous job now offers 3 hours a week to disconnect from phones and support to study, and even without this I managed to get the CCNA in my spare time at that job.

The one thing I'd be bummed about losing is current job is footing the bill for VCP in July. I don't really want to get into virtualization, more of a networking kinda guy, but was going to use that to grab more money at my next job regardless of if I used it or not.
I still wouldnt do it but its your choice obviously. If they really wanted you back they would be willing to part with more money so that you wouldnt be taking a pay cut to go back. It's only what a $5k difference? If they missed you as an employee that badly they should be able to come up with the difference. Plus the fact that the guy got all butthurt when you left the first time, makes it seem like he'd be a dick to work with.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This will scale wonderfully!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kirios posted:

This will scale wonderfully!

And yet I have physically seen this in a config before... :cry:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We have four static routes in our core that irritate me every time I see them...and yet I'm leaving this job after January 31st so I really don't bother to actually throw them into OSPF. *shrug*

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Vulture Culture posted:

BCC the director of HR on every reply

I like this idea

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

KillHour posted:

If you ever get in the situation where you're wondering "How can this many people be so stupid," it's probably not them.

Unless it's american politics

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CloFan posted:

Unless it's american politics
beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations on wiki or knowledge base software? My current company doesn't even have a ticketing system aside from the single user Zendesk setup I've created for myself to enter in tickets. My boss, who has actually done a great job with documentation overall, has a huge file cabinet filled with printed out screen shots and hand written notes on everything. I'd love to get that in a digital searchable form somehow. I've used MS service center in the past but that seems like overkill and I dont think I could convince him to pay for it.

Is confluence what I want here or are there any halfway decent open source alternatives out there? This would be for strictly in house IT use so it doesn't need to look pretty.