Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gonna be honest, I had a lot of trouble finishing Rickety Rafters my first time because I play with the d-pad controls, which have the grab and run buttons mapped to the same button (X and Y), and I basically have it hard wired into me to always hold down the run button, so I'd always latch on to the vine at the end. :argh:

I disagree with 4-K being bad, 4-K is a lot of fun, but then, the K levels in this game are infinitely more fun if you're trying to go fast and figure out what platforms you can and can't skip. As an example, here's the 3-K speedrun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkAvNsM-Uo

Also the ninja viking baboons are a lot of fun and you can actually make the fight go even faster if you roll into them while they're on the ground with their heads up, which knocks them over and lets you jump on them. You can also pogo them while they're swinging with the hammers if you have Cranky. These guys are such a fun fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ChaosArgate posted:

Gonna be honest, I had a lot of trouble finishing Rickety Rafters my first time because I play with the d-pad controls, which have the grab and run buttons mapped to the same button (X and Y), and I basically have it hard wired into me to always hold down the run button, so I'd always latch on to the vine at the end. :argh:

I disagree with 4-K being bad, 4-K is a lot of fun, but then, the K levels in this game are infinitely more fun if you're trying to go fast and figure out what platforms you can and can't skip. As an example, here's the 3-K speedrun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxkAvNsM-Uo

Also the ninja viking baboons are a lot of fun and you can actually make the fight go even faster if you roll into them while they're on the ground with their heads up, which knocks them over and lets you jump on them. You can also pogo them while they're swinging with the hammers if you have Cranky. These guys are such a fun fight.

That loving barrel shot near the end. :stare:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Crocodile Cauldron :siren:

Today we meet a few new animal buddies, including the best one in the entire game. That's right: Clapper.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 27, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just realized that DKC2 was the first introduction in the series to water in levels. What I mean is, DKC water levels were exclusively water levels. There was no getting out of the water and walking around until DKC2 and its water levels.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've messed around DKC 2, playing aroudn with ideas as they come to me. It's a great game to do it in, and I hope you don't mind if I share some discoveries I've made. If you do I'll stop after this post.

A small but neat thing about Squawks is that when he's carrying the Kongs he's much less maneuverable and drops like a stone. When you control just him, he flies much better.

Also, you're slightly wrong about bonus levels in Animal Buddy levels. There's a level later on where you have to use Squitter the entire time, and a little bit before the "No Squitter" sign there's a bonus level that you're supposed to go to before passing the sign. If you go back after losing Squitter and enter the bonus room, he'll be waiting for you to jump on. So if you do somehow manage to get yourself into a bonus level without one, you're not completely screwed.

And the only Spider-Man game I ever played was Arcade's Revenge and gently caress that game.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I cannot have been the only person yelling at the screen for Artix to just jump into the lava and go get Dixie.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like how part of the trivia game is asking Dixie what her name is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Red Hot Ride was a giant pain in the rear end for younger me. The post checkpoint barrel section was just rough for me because of jump timing loving me over. Interestingly enough, in the SNES version of this level, you can spam Rambi's horn attack and still move the balloon around. This made Rambi's section much easier since you could just impale everything in front of you and plow on forward. Sadly, the GBA port removed this, so attacking with Rambi while on a balloon causes all forward momentum to stop immediately.

And now we get to one of the more frustrating things about DKC2, Squawks. Well, Squawks' wonky hitbox. If you thought the hitbox issues from the first game got completely removed for the sequel, I can assure you that Squawks is probably the biggest example of hitbox issues (and hitbox-induced comedy) still hanging around.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I had forgotten that the victory themes change slightly to fit the level soundtrack wherever you wind up.

Also, yeah, Squitter. I'm one of those people that's completely unfazed by spiders but scared shitless of wasps, and I have a sneaking suspicion that some of Rare's designers are the same way. Krazy Kremland was the kind of thing I'd have nightmares about when I was younger. :ohdear:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I had forgotten that the victory themes change slightly to fit the level soundtrack wherever you wind up.

The death theme too.

When I first played this, it was on a friend's cart. I never figured out why some crocodiles were just platforms, and some made you spring up until I emulated it and played the quiz. I never figured out the Klobber barrels being a different colour either. Being colour blind is annoying.

EDIT: Diddy is not only a bit faster, he also jumps a bit higher. I've come across situations where Diddy can make a jump that Dixie can't. Mind you, I doubt it's something most people will notice. I only figured it out while I was practising speedruns of the game.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 7, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Diddy's better at performing the cartwheel jump as well, although it's not used as much as it was in DKC1.

You're obviously going to go back and get the Hero Coin in Red Hot Ride and missing bonus levels in Squawk's Shaft (I believe there are three bonus levels in it), right?

It took me a while to figure out why the hook-handed Kremling is called Krook. Then I realized it's a play on the old idiom "by hook or by crook." Cheeky Rare.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I believe Artix said he'd go for any missing Kremcoins offscreen since they are used for something in this game. No idea about the Hero Coins since those are optional.

In Lava Lagoon, if you go for the G, you can actually see the invincibility barrel on the other side, which at least lets you know there's a fake wall somewhere. Granted you would have to care about the Kong letters to find out about that.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If he likes, it would be much easier to just use the hidden secret for Krem coins, though that won't help with the DK Coins.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's good that Kazooie is still finding work.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
At 4:52 in the DKCR 3-1 video: Old-School DK in the background made me smile.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
In 3-1 you were making fun of the extra lives and banana coins. Back about 3 years ago Maple Leaf did a co-op LP of returns with 3 other people 2 of which had never played a platformer before. And so when they got to world 5 or 6 there was a fair amount of off screen balloon buying.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I like the "temple guarded by weird creatures that are just hair and teeth" level.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Major_JF posted:

In 3-1 you were making fun of the extra lives and banana coins. Back about 3 years ago Maple Leaf did a co-op LP of returns with 3 other people 2 of which had never played a platformer before. And so when they got to world 5 or 6 there was a fair amount of off screen balloon buying.

So...by playing a very hard platformer with people who have no experience in the genre, in a game that can but really shouldn't be played co-op, you can make the life purchases useful. That's...not exactly a ringing endorsement.

(yes, obviously they give you the option just in case you aren't a great player, but frankly there doesn't seem like a good reason they couldn't have just removed lives altogether sooooo)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've never actually game overed in either DKCR or TF, what actually happens, you get kicked out of the level you're in and have to redo it from the beginning with 5 lives? If that's all, then there's really no reason to keep lives around.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

But artix, without lives what else is there left to collect??????

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

It took me a while to figure out why the hook-handed Kremling is called Krook. Then I realized it's a play on the old idiom "by hook or by crook." Cheeky Rare.

those hook-ended staffs shepherds use are called crooks! his hands might not be long enough for the classical definition but then again, he is a little short

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That boss looked more like a Super Mario Bros. 2 fight than one in a DKC game.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think you guys are a little hard on Donkey Kong Country 1.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Well, compared to 2 it's easy to kind of dismiss it. It's one of those legendary jumps in quality for the sequel like Sonic 2 or Devil May Cry 3 from 2.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 10, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
DKC1 was a great game, though a product of its time. It was absolutely eclipsed by its sequel, which makes it hard to go back.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Did anyone else watch the Itty Bitty Biters level and immediately think of the Critters movies?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Derek Barona posted:

Did anyone else watch the Itty Bitty Biters level and immediately think of the Critters movies?

Unfortunately there was no part in the level where they like combine into a giant ball and chase after you

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Unfortunately there was no part in the level where they like combine into a giant ball and chase after you

Kind of a missed opportunity, really. There totally could've been a point where a giant one busts out of the wall and chases you down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Sea Breeze Cove, Part 1 :siren:

Today I'm joined by Blind Sally as DK makes his way to an aquatic paradise. Not even the seas are safe from his tyranny anymore.

E: We are also, believe it or not, halfway done with the entire LP already. :confuoot:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What I'm getting out of this video is that blind sally and geop need to do a vid together and just sling puns everywhere.

e: I can kind of see why there's no animal buddies, the levels here are the stars. The SNES couldn't do as much and so adding places where you controlled differently helped differentiate parts, and now that levels can transform themselves and poo poo it's not as needed.

But maybe now that they've had two games about DK+pals they could ease into one or two more animal friends. Like I think squitter can't really work anymore but maybe some of the others that are kind of smaller departures like running faster or jumping higher could work...

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 11, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't the biggest fan of this world overall (think they packed too much swimming into it too close together) but the octopus level stands out as neat.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure the reason why the Octopus is so mad at DK and pals is because its the same Octopus that was in one of the beach levels in DKCR and he's just super salty he couldn't kill the Kongs the first time so now he's back for revenge.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You think it has a really good gimmick?

Are you INSANE or just too young not to recognize the true face of terror?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

What I'm getting out of this video is that blind sally and geop need to do a vid together and just sling puns everywhere.

Geop won't return his phone calls.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

FeyerbrandX posted:

You think it has a really good gimmick?

Are you INSANE or just too young not to recognize the true face of terror?

*Switches to Leo and his full health bar*

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

nine-gear crow posted:

Geop won't return his phone calls.

Will he return your phone caws, though?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Derek Barona posted:

I was thinking more Stitch, from Lilo and Stitch.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Irate Eight was one of the hardest levels for me to beat when I played through the game for the first time. The timing gets really tight and you can see there's not much room to maneuver when you're trying to outrun the ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I quickly threw together an Aquatic Ambiance Remix playlist for anyone interested. There are more, so if anyone knows of any good ones, please send me links:

AQUATIC AMBIANCE REMIX PLAYLIST

• Locked thread