Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Did they put any of those clips online? It's impossible to search for, which might have something to do with it.

There really wasn't anything substantive with the clips, just some quick action shots and people yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

thrawn527 posted:

...and a CW teen relationship drama.

Please note that this element overwhelms the show at times, especially in the third season.

Also out of all of the (and boy do I mean all) possible romantic parings, the only characters in the Arrowverse who have anything even resembling romantic chemistry are *shudders* Thea and Ollie. Oh and Felicity and Barry but they shut that poo poo down quick (which was dumb, The Flash is a much better tonal match for Felicity's character anyway).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 6, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There really wasn't anything substantive with the clips, just some quick action shots and people yelling.

Throw in an overdone supporting character and that's an entire episode of Archer lately.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Aphrodite posted:

MTV makes dumb teen dramas.

Calling an MTV show a "CW teen drama" is like calling left Twix right Twix.

Well, sure, but I was calling the CW show that, and calling the MTV show an MTV teen drama. It's a super simplistic way of describing it, but people were asking if it was like GoT, and it is absolutely not, nor should anyone have expected it to be. It's an adaptation of some silly fantasy novels which started as a LOTR ripoff (though the show is skipping the one that is the most blatant about that) that's being produced for MTV. Set expectations accordingly.

It's better than Legend of the Seeker, but nothing at all like GoT.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Throw in an overdone supporting character and that's an entire episode of Archer lately.

Archer: LANA
Lana: ...
Lana: ...
Lana: WHAT?
Archer: *some joke referencing an obscure Belgian scientist that has a tenuous connection to the current situation*
Ray: Archer you do realize I'm PARALYZED AGAIN RIGHT?
Archer: Why aren't we doing "Phrasing" anymore because this is an obviously contrived way to make a "Phrasing" joke
Slater: Hey I'm Slater and I'm actually Christian Slater but not actually and I'm in this episode for some reason

[Edit: I love Archer but honestly don't remember anything that happened last season.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 6, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You left out Pam, the worst character now.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

You left out Pam, the worst character now.

Pam: *farts, laughs*
Entire cast: Ugh I can't believe I had sex with you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out that the normal sitcom arc of all characters becoming cartoonish versions of themselves doesn't serve a cartoon well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pam: *eats cocaine, laughs*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Pam: *eats cocaine, laughs*

That's actually what flipped the switch for me.

The sound they used for her eating that season was so loving irritating I couldn't stand it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Been rewatching Frisky Dingo. Now that is a good show. Got cancelled before it could turn to poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

on the other hand literally the only season six episode I remember liking at all is the Pam one

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What was the season that ends with the space station 2-parter? I watched a few episodes of the season after that. Whichever one that is. I think i'm like 3 seasons behind.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

What was the season that ends with the space station 2-parter? I watched a few episodes of the season after that. Whichever one that is. I think i'm like 3 seasons behind.

Space race is s3. You can stop now and miss nothing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a fun little article about how ABC Family/Freeform just can't get rid of the 700 Club. What a bizarre phenomenon.

Can anyone think of another program that airs or aired despite the network's wishes?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I'm not really in a hurry to get caught up.

Speaking of funny shows, I can't wait for It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia to end, because Rob McElhenney is a comic genius and I want to see what else he can do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Charlie: *dresses up in a costume, cries*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Alternatively: Archer Vice is the only season that doesn't really work fully, and it's more disappointment that the opportunity was squandered. It's still fine. The latest season was back to it's best, and it's generally agreed that if Archer Vice was needed to do that then so be it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Here's a thread I made for The Shannara Chronicles, for anyone interested.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Turns out that the normal sitcom arc of all characters becoming cartoonish versions of themselves doesn't serve a cartoon well.

I don't think that's ever worked for any show ever, animated or not (feel free to prove me wrong).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

lelandjs posted:

I don't think that's ever worked for any show ever, animated or not (feel free to prove me wrong).

Its always sunny

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobkatt013 posted:

Its always sunny

Doesn't count, they started off like a step away from being Looney Toons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Its always sunny

Did it, though?

With a few standout exceptions, I feel like that show has gradually degraded in quality since the beginning.

I like the Lethal Weapon sequels a lot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Its always sunny

show got bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I can appreciate why some might think that It's Always Sunny has gotten too "over the top," but in a show where the characters are constantly rejecting the opportunity to change and instead double down on their delusions, I think that becoming exaggerated "cartoon" versions of themselves kind of fits. At the very least, it fits better than in sitcoms where the protagonist learns that lying is bad at the end of every episode, only to revert back to who they were next week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The previous season is one of the best seasons of the entire series.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

thrawn527 posted:

It's partly the former, partly the latter. If no one else wants to, I'll make a thread for it later today. But it's part dark fantasy show about Elves and Demons, and part teen drama on MTV about Elves and non-elves.
Hmmm, that sounds odd so I'll have to see for myself. Mostly cause I get the impression it would (should?) be more of a straight adaptation because I really doubt MTV is gonna give the show 22 episodes a season to faff about like we got with Legend of the Seeker.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sober posted:

Hmmm, that sounds odd so I'll have to see for myself. Mostly cause I get the impression it would (should?) be more of a straight adaptation because I really doubt MTV is gonna give the show 22 episodes a season to faff about like we got with Legend of the Seeker.

I think I read the first season is going to be 10 episodes long. But that's plenty of time to cover the events of The Elfstones of Shannara and explore more character moments.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watched the pilot of Shannara. Once you get over some of the CW/MTV teen drama bullshit, it's pretty watchable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can understand the Archer bashing to a degree, but now I'm starting to wonder if this is a bad gimmick account.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wasn't there supposed to be a live action Star Wars show in the works?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a live action Star Wars show in the works?

Yeah when Lucas was running things. Apparently the scripts were too expensive to shoot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Watching Shannara now. It's hilariously weird seeing a Faking It/Awkward type show where everyone has pointy ears but there's a badass girl taking on a male establishment and that is completely my jam so it's good for now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if the 10 hojillion dollars TFA is making is going to alter that calculus.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

zoux posted:

I wonder if the 10 hojillion dollars TFA is making is going to alter that calculus.

They probably shitcanned all the scripts anyways.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

Did you make it through Season 3? It's not irredeemably bad, but after Season 2 it has to do a whole lot of backpedaling and then generally just has no focus.

It was okay. Good, not great. I rewatched the X-Files episode that was meant to be a kind of finale for the series, but ended up being a standard MOTW episode of The X-Files. Still, it made sense to me this time, because the first time I saw it I hadn't seen any of Millennium.

I remain certain that it could've been huge if it had come out in the post-Lost TV landscape, though it no doubt would've been a much different series.

quote:

Actually on that note, has a show ever done a bigger retcon than MILLENNIUM did between Seasons 2 and 3?

I'm almost certain that there's at least one, but I can't conjure up its name. I'm sure it'll come to me, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i was going to watch shannara but then i saw you can watch aeon flux on mtv.com so gently caress that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

lol at the garbage cgi establishling shots of the opening of shannara

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Netflix announced a couple new shows

A 70s disco show from Baz Luhrmann. But Jaden Smith is in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zejyzr5vW3A

Another royal British drama. Starring Matt Smith/Doctor who

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Q0bJ_zO7w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i'm digging the extra in shannara who showed up in a tshirt and jeans

• Locked thread