Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that. Is it just me or did Barker flat out stopped writing good stuff when he parted with splatterpunk and decided to go for bloated mystical urban fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Yeah, from what I remember it's pretty terrible (and makes all the arguments about Butcher's intentions earlier in the thread seem like nothing in comparison), but it has some, dare I say, good ideas and it holds a special place in my heart as it was the first 'mature' book I ever read.

For the people who haven't read The Great and Secret Show (so basically everyone), it's about these two dudes who sort of stumble into godhood who eventually decide to battle via their demi-god kids.

What I like:
-The magic manages to simultaneously be incredibly rare and yet extremely mundane, scientific, mystical and just bizarre.
-Dreams play a huge role in the story.
-It's a story of cosmic proportions that takes place in a small Mormon town, and it really feels like it's been crammed into place.
-It's pretty much the opposite of Butcher's 'everyone in Chicago is straight and white and probably blonde'.
-Fletcher.

What I don't like:
-Rape.
-Incest.
-Magical snakes made of poo.
-Romeo and Juliet.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked one thing about it but can't remember if it's this or another Barker: the final showdown (of sorts) took place in a magically frozen moment of time - the first nuclear test.
I think it was this one but longer Barkers seriously blend into each other in my mind. I always try to read them in hopes he managed to get his Books of Blood groove back and always end up disappointed. I blame whoever told him Imajica was any good.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, that. Is it just me or did Barker flat out stopped writing good stuff when he parted with splatterpunk and decided to go for bloated mystical urban fantasy?

Barker never wrote good stuff. He wrote influential stuff that inspired a lot of people simply because no one else was telling those kinds of stories at that time, but it was never really good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Saith posted:

For the people who haven't read The Great and Secret Show (so basically everyone), it's about these two dudes who sort of stumble into godhood who eventually decide to battle via their demi-god kids.

Hmm... That sounds like something I read years ago when I was in college. I wonder if it...

Saith posted:

-Magical snakes made of poo.

Yep, it was the one with the poo poo snakes. That's when I was done with Clive Barker novels.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Cinder Spires setting would make for a dope strategy game, am I right or very right?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Rygar201 posted:

The Cinder Spires setting would make for a dope strategy game, am I right or very right?

Alternatively I could imagine a pretty great Sunless Sea sequel set in the spires

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really liked Cinder Spires from the start when after almost being shot down Grimm goes to his cabin and just breaks down. That was characterisation I liked.

Other good things about Cinder Spires:
Rowl and cats, I hate cats but they were interesting and fun.
The evil lady, her obsession with manners was cool.
Folly.
The setting.
Airships and airship combat.

The realism of combat. Both airship and normal. It felt well thought out and there were never any real "bullshit" moments.

I mean Auran Marines mostly kicked the poo poo out of anyone they encountered and only the fact that Grims men met and fought small groups saved them.

While predator is OP as gently caress it's still only small and fast and the poo poo they pull off seems reasonable.

Overall a good book. Looking forward to expanding the setting more and more Rowl and Grimm.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I ended up liking Cinder Spires too and the "cost of magic" in Cinder Spires was cool if not exactly all that original. I think it will lend itself to some interesting characters in the future. I'm not a big fan of steampunk usually but I too liked the setting. It reminded me of Final Fantasy IX quite a bit. The spires are like islands in an wastelandish land-sea. The idea of arcologies is cool and that's pretty much what the spires are.

gently caress Rowl. He sucks. gently caress cats.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My question is, how tall are the habble levels? If there are 250 levels and the spire is 10,000 feet high, that works out to about 40 feet. If Landing split that in half, how could the temple of the Way possibly be 4 stories tall? Or am I missing something?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

wheatpuppy posted:

My question is, how tall are the habble levels? If there are 250 levels and the spire is 10,000 feet high, that works out to about 40 feet. If Landing split that in half, how could the temple of the Way possibly be 4 stories tall? Or am I missing something?

It could go through the split.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Despite how the description seem so mediocre I'm really looking forward to Cornells' Who Killed Sherlock Holmes?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I think I'd rather just have read the book about Sherlock's ghost.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

Despite how the description seem so mediocre I'm really looking forward to Cornells' Who Killed Sherlock Holmes?
The first two were good books based on generic premises too. Looking forward to that one.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Rygar201 posted:

It could go through the split.

It doesn't, but it could be that some levels are bigger then others. Im pretty sure hubble morning states it's like 200 feet to the roof.

Maybe there are a few really large ones and the majority is just 20 feet or something?

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I ended up getting The House on Mount Char on a recommendation from someone in this thread, and it was pretty good. There were more descriptions of gory things happening to people than I thought were necessary, but the plot was really neat, the descriptions of super-powerful background characters were kept just vague enough to be tantalizing, and the ending made up for basically any other reservations I had about the book. Give it a shot.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Someone recommend me something to read, please. I'm caught up on the Dresden files, iron Druid, and Peter Grant. I tried The Aeronaut's Windlass but I just couldn't get into it. I think it was too much fantasy for me and not enough real world stuff. Is there a series I'm missing? I didn't really like the one about the IT wizard guy, can't remember what it was called. Oh, and I did like the first 2 libriomancer books. The next one isn't out yet right?

Edit: oh poo poo, it comes out tomorrow! Look at that. Still, if there's something else out there I'll need that for when I finish it.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Daric posted:

Someone recommend me something to read, please. I'm caught up on the Dresden files, iron Druid, and Peter Grant. I tried The Aeronaut's Windlass but I just couldn't get into it. I think it was too much fantasy for me and not enough real world stuff. Is there a series I'm missing? I didn't really like the one about the IT wizard guy, can't remember what it was called. Oh, and I did like the first 2 libriomancer books. The next one isn't out yet right?

Edit: oh poo poo, it comes out tomorrow! Look at that. Still, if there's something else out there I'll need that for when I finish it.

The third Libriomancer has come out already. :confused:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Daric posted:

You could also try Alex Verus

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Daric posted:

Libriomancer book four, Revisionary, comes out on Feb 2

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

He's talking about the paperback of book three, guys.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ornamented Death posted:

He's talking about the paperback of book three, guys.

Whoa people still buy those?

(I kid, I kid)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Daric posted:

Library at mt char is good, a bunch of people were taking about it a few pages ago.

I'm also a fan of the Mathew Swift series.

Edit: fixing phone posting typos

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I see a distinct lack of Craig Schaefer over there - and I'd definitely recommend that over Libriomancer or Alex Verus.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Dang sorry, I searched quickly. Didn't realize the kindle edition was already out. I'll get it tonight.

Edit: alright I got both the 3rd libriomancer book and library at mount Char so that should hold me over for a week or two.

Daric fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2016

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you're not already read any Sanderson I'll give him a recommendation. Not urban fantasy like Dresden and only rarely modern times. Although he has a industrial age trilogy in the works now and a modern day trilogy coming after it. The best thing is he write 2 or 3 books a year. Sanderson Thread here I think I'd recommend the Emperors Soul or The Rithmatist as short stories to see if you like his style. Rithmatist is a little more YA.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I just started Steelheart by Sanderson and its fun so far.

The basic premise is that a a small group of people suddenly develop super powers and they all turn into major assholes and take over the world / kill whoever they feel like. Book 3 either comes out this month or February i think.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daric posted:

Have you read The Rook? I quite liked it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Daric posted:

Everything written by Craig Schaefer is good. His main UF series is Daniel Faust, and the first Harmony Black spinoff book is out in a month/now if you have Kindle First. Also the Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore (2 books) and Pax Arcana series by Elliott James.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Keystoned posted:

Book 3 either comes out this month or February i think.

February 16th is the official date as of right now.

And while its a fun romp and I enjoy it I wouldn't make it my first Sanderson choice as a new reader, it comes off pretty YA.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

M_Gargantua posted:

February 16th is the official date as of right now.

And while its a fun romp and I enjoy it I wouldn't make it my first Sanderson choice as a new reader, it comes off pretty YA.
That's because it is YA

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gygaxian posted:

I'm actually planning on writing a Dresden Files-esque story set mostly in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California and all that, featuring both Catholic and Mormon monster hunter types. Essentially, the Mormons have their own Knights of the Cross, but they're more J Edgar Hoover FBI or Men in Black than holy knight types. And perhaps the pioneer LARPing that Mormon youth do (no seriously, I took part in that, we re-enact a couple miles of the pioneer trek) has some faith-based power in this setting.

If it was me using the southwest as a fantasy story it'd definitely be a western, if you want to make the mormons central have them be the supernatural peacekeepers of the west you main character could be a lawman/mysterious stranger mashup i wouldn't even have him go to other planes or anything the west is a place where people come to settle why not mythical entities as well you could have litteral ghost towns and faerie boom towns and definitely a magical railroad to be robbed.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

The Fool posted:

I'm also a fan of the Mathew Swift series.

Matthew Swift is really good as is the offshoot Magicals Anonymous.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Daric posted:

Mars4523 posted:

Everything written by Craig Schaefer is good. His main UF series is Daniel Faust...

I'm loving the Daniel Faust series so far. I'm halfway through the second book-- but the first one was so good I bought the rest immediately.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bowmore posted:

That's because it is YA

Yeah, Steelheart is good, but think Hunger Games audience. It also has what has become a basic staple of Sanderson books, which is to take a standard plot of fantasy books and turn it on it's head. Like here, it's basically the plot of Heroes, but if after getting their powers, everyone became super villains and made the world a really lovely place. Or in Mistborn, which takes place in a world where the hero from a prophecy had a moment of temptation from the dark forces...and he took it, and now rules with an iron fist. And I love it.

But yeah, you should definitely know going in that this is him distilling that concept for a YA audience. Doesn't mean it's not a fun book, because it is.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Awesome, thanks everyone. I have a lot of books to read now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Daric posted:

London Falling?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I thought Craig Schaeffer's Harmony Black was pretty forgettable.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just started the sequel to London Falling, I really enjoyed the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gilok posted:

I just started the sequel to London Falling, I really enjoyed the first one.

London Falling was a fantastic book, I thought the sequel was noticeably worse.

I just started reading "The Magicians"

It started off a little rocky with the "Teenager wanting Narnia to be real and then gets invited to a magic university," but once you get to the "the reality of magic is way different than he expected," it starts to pick up.