Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait wait wait. The FF7 remake is gonna come out in episodes?

Yeah. They decided that it'd be unfeasible to faithfully translate the content of a lengthy PS1 game to the detail and fidelity of a gen 8 title in a single release, so they're releasing it as multiple games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
$10 dollar per episode, lols.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

From the impression I got, more like $60.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ten bux for the honeybee Inn dlc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They never said episodic, and there's literally an example of how that would work in the FF13 trilogy of game length that people don't seem to remember.

Mass Effect series is basically "episodic" except with less actual story content than a typical FF game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
"Divided up into parts" does not necessarily mean episodic but potato, potato. What I'm leery about is that they will almost certainly add and remove stuff and the fan situation is going to be a poo poo storm at least for a little while.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bloodychill posted:

"Divided up into parts" does not necessarily mean episodic but potato, potato. What I'm leery about is that they will almost certainly add and remove stuff and the fan situation is going to be a poo poo storm at least for a little while.

an easy way to avoid this is to not give a gently caress about the "fan situation"

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

ATB system featuring battles with the contestants lined up on either side of the screen taking shots at each other dutifully when their turn came up, ridiculously jarring and annoying random battles with nonsensical enemies that have no context whatsoever in the game world or in nature, and etcetera.

Call me old-fashioned, point at the rose-shaded glasses perched on my nose if you must, but I like these things. I know it's probably best for a FF7 remake to modernize its approach, but gently caress you if you don't want to be attacked by a Cannibal House while walking through a slum, buddy.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The "fan situation" is that they're all terrible, all the time and FFVII being episodic doesn't change that fact at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The real reason to be worried is that squeenix did episodic before and it was called deus ex the fall

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

an easy way to avoid this is to not give a gently caress about the "fan situation"

Exactly. It is also extremely important to remember that the "fan situation" is often misunderstood as representing a majority when the reality is that only represents whoever the loudest idiots are on YouTube, various social networks, and "gamer journalism". Literally just a tiny handful of people compared to the millions that will play this game and not say a word about it other than to their friends and family.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 6, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Before it was announced, the fan situation was just bitching about how SE is turning down the chance to print money with a remake. Being genuinely happy and hopeful about a Major Corporation's Decision is a sign of weakness among gamer circles.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
So what's the consensus on Final Fantasy Explorers? I don't think I've spotted a thread for it yet.

I have a trip coming up 2 days after it releases and I'm hoping to buy it and play it for the plane ride if it is a reasonable and fun hunting game clone.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Final Fantasy IX's Steam Page is up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840

It initially said the release was later this month but it is now Early 2016.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait wait wait. The FF7 remake is gonna come out in episodes?

The remake's head staff have said it will come out in parts. They also said the parts will be fully featured games for what it's worth.

Will they be large standalone RPGs like the .Hack series or a way to get smaller pieces of a new game to players within their lifetimes like the Half life 2 Episodes? We'll probably find out in a couple of years. When Square-Enix is being incredibly vague and evasive about the contents and scope of a newly announced game, it's probably a good idea to assume that they just have a ramshackle demo build to appease fans/investors and they're really not sure how about the scope of the final product or how the minute to minute gameplay will be like.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

corn in the bible posted:

The real reason to be worried is that squeenix did episodic before and it was called deus ex the fall

Well, if we go by stuff they published but didn't develop, they also did Life Is Strange, so it swings both ways really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.

Fuckin' sold.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.

Fuckin' sold.

Lol at jump rope being one of the bullet point features.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Square is probably doing the episodic thing because they know that most buyers just want to replay the first few Midgar parts they remember from 20 years ago. If that doesn't go over well they can just cancel the rest of it and still make some nostalgia bux.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

Lol at jump rope being one of the bullet point features.

For the discerning masochist gamer.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Electromax posted:

Square is probably doing the episodic thing because they know that most buyers just want to replay the first few Midgar parts they remember from 20 years ago. If that doesn't go over well they can just cancel the rest of it and still make some nostalgia bux.

This is a joke right? You cannot possibly believe this.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hype for the great parts of Midgar like:

Battling that loving house
Squatting for wigs
Battling that loving house (redux)
Climbing 60 sets of stairs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I have to say that FFIX stuff sounds pretty rad, I definitely feel like I could give the game another chance and probably like it a lot more than I did when it first came out.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

What do you think the odds are of them removing the ability to one shot Grand Dragons with the lvl5 Death spell in the steam version?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

What do you think the odds are of them removing the ability to one shot Grand Dragons with the lvl5 Death spell in the steam version?

I'd be shocked if they actually did anything to the game besides sharper graphics and the booster abilities.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

This is a joke right?

Yes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'd be shocked if they actually did anything to the game besides sharper graphics and the booster abilities.

Sold.

It'll be nice to have a great traditional RPG in my Steam library, it's all indie and experimental stuff or boring AAA messes.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Sold.

It'll be nice to have a great traditional RPG in my Steam library, it's all indie and experimental stuff or boring AAA messes.

Keep in mind, that's just me speculating based on the other PSX Final Fantasies on Steam. The one caveat with IX is that it has never had a previous PC port, so it's slightly more possible they'll meddle with in game stuff, but still unlikely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The FF7 Steam port actually did make changes. They fixed the magic defense bug for example which is the first time they did that. It's entirely possible FF9 may have minor adjustments but I wouldn't expect anything significant.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The FF7 Steam port actually did make changes. They fixed the magic defense bug for example which is the first time they did that. It's entirely possible FF9 may have minor adjustments but I wouldn't expect anything significant.

Huh, I did not know that. Was anything in-game changed for FF8?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

Huh, I did not know that. Was anything in-game changed for FF8?

Not that I'm aware of. The original PC port had some minor changes (letting you play Chocobo World for one IIRC) but I think the Steam was just Cloud/Boosters/ect.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FanaticalMilk posted:

Keep in mind, that's just me speculating based on the other PSX Final Fantasies on Steam. The one caveat with IX is that it has never had a previous PC port, so it's slightly more possible they'll meddle with in game stuff, but still unlikely.

In the case of Grand Dragons, all that they would have to do is increase its level up one tick. As far as closing exploits go, I cannot imagine that being too difficult. I do not actually view Grand Dragon farming as an exploit but SE might.

Of course, the deadline to ship the port might have been so tight that any changes like that were declared off of the table due to time constraints alone. SE clearly looked at the top complaints of FF IX, decided on which ones were "must haves", and made sure to include those but beyond that it may have been all graphics and compatibility work. No one really complains about being able easily one shot Grand Dragons so I cannot imagine it being a priority.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Why would they do that? It's not a bug or anything.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Why would they do that? It's not a bug or anything.

See my latest post.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I imagine they do not consider that an exploit, since you know, they programmed the enemy encounter and all, so they knew you could kill it at that level easily enough

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like all the FF's have enemies like that where they're really buff and there's something you can do to trivialize them for grinding purposes, they are very friendly to that sort of gaming

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope they make you climb all 500 sets of stairs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

See my latest post.

I'm sure they're really concerned with closing the exploit of killing something really easily in a single player RPG. Hopefully they'll also fix the exploit of ice spells doing extra damage to fire enemies as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sure they're really concerned with closing the exploit of killing something really easily in a single player RPG. Hopefully they'll also fix the exploit of ice spells doing extra damage to fire enemies as well.

drat.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

like all the FF's have enemies like that where they're really buff and there's something you can do to trivialize them for grinding purposes, they are very friendly to that sort of gaming

Yeah, that is true. I kinda figured it was unlikely but I thought I would throw it out there and gauge the goon consensus.

Fister Roboto posted:

Dang dude. Relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
steiner's thunder slash has like a 0% chance to hit pretty much all (with a few exceptions) enemies in the game, due to a bug in the way the move was programmed or something

that's probably one of the things that could be fixed