Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Evil Fluffy posted:

I so very strongly pray that Carson ends up quoting a Gundam series like how Herman Cain quoted Pokemon. Elections need more anime.
Sieg Zeon! :hitler:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't "vegan steak" just going to be a mash of something like black bean or tofu?

I think it looks disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

But that's the trip-up. Popehat wasn't talking about the actual actions, just the rhetoric. So people can waltz in and diss the actions as whimpy and low-energy while also decrying the words as bad America-hurting words.

Yeah the Brookings Institute on NPR the morning before he announced what he was going to do, basically called him a wimp, and at the same time, "he can't do crap :smug:"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

The laws his EO concerned, yes. But come on, we know the speech was about wider gun control in topic as well.

This terrible rights-based attitude is such a slippery slope. Next thing you know he'll be droning American citizens or pushing for more restrictions on what people on an unaccountable no-fly list can do. Oh wait.

Mass shootings aren't worth doing anything about, so the efficacy of thoughts and prayers don't really come into it for me. And I value not creating victimless possession crimes aka prohibiting and confiscating handguns (which is what it'd take) over avoiding handgun violence. So nah on both.

Let me know when Conservatives want to actually do something other than 'Our Thoughts and Prayers are With You'. Oh, quick thought, these are the same motherfuckers that thought bringing a Snowball into the Capitol Rotunda was proof that Climate Change was wrong, and that a 1950s era change to the State Motto made us a Christian Nation.

Maybe when conservatives stop stirring up extremists and stomping their feet and pitching a fit you can actually have some grounds to actually establish valid criticism other than 'LOL you're retarded'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Let me know when Conservatives want to actually do something other than 'Our Thoughts and Prayers are With You

They don't. According to second amd advocates, the problem with violence in America is everything but guns. Guns are the one thing that are not causing gun violence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

The laws his EO concerned, yes. But come on, we know the speech was about wider gun control in topic as well.

"Sure, Obama isn't doing anything unconstitutional or illegal, but we all know he was thinking it! Just look at him!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also there is massive support for violating the Constitution on guns, so don't trot out that OBAMA WISHES HE COULD VIOLATE THE LAW when Obama is actually trying to salvage that loving amendment.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

The actual lesson, which is being demonstrated aptly, is that it's pointless to try to reason with gun people and instead you just have to go around them in order to actually do worthwhile things. Their whining means it's working.

An appropriate response to all gun chat would be to empty quote this; every time.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Radbot posted:

Uh, how are people entitled to "the pursuit of happiness"? Is this another "I can't tell the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution" thing again?

And his BOOTSTRAPS manifesto is hilariously bad advice if you're not a ditch digger. I can't even imagine what a lovely life I'd lead if I volunteered for every project I could be apart of in the corporate world, or if I believed that "there are no bad jobs" so I would never advance my career.

There seems to be a built in assumption that everyone's main goal in life is career success and money. Personally while those things are important to me free time is much more important, happiness to me will never involve 80 hour work weeks even if it were the best job in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

An appropriate response to all gun chat would be to empty quote this; every time.

We could go argue it over there but our brave gun owning friends are so adverse to debate they hid their current events thread.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

MaxxBot posted:

There seems to be a built in assumption that everyone's main goal in life is career success and money. Personally while those things are important to me free time is much more important, happiness to me will never involve 80 hour work weeks even if it were the best job in the world.

There is no point to money if you don't have any free time and energy to enjoy it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

We could go argue it over there but our brave gun owning friends are so adverse to debate they hid their current events thread.

Can an admin un-hide it?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think I can see it. it shows up as an untitled thread. I'm on an older browser and locked down computer that probably is blocking a script.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Geoff Peterson posted:

:qq: But please, tell me more about how I'm not a real progressive because I don't really care about the poors. I never tire of seeing the impoverished trotted out as props for ideological purity circlejerks. :qq:

I'm not going to sift through every point you tried to make in that burbling tide of logorhea. The important thing here is what a loving crybaby you evidently are about anyone disagreeing with you. Have some self-respect, jesus.

I agree that providing higher education options that avoid the opportunity cost of taking four years off the job market is important. However, since I'm not as malignantly insecure as you appear to be, my favored solutions are things like "make college schedules compatible with working students' needs" and "pay student living expenses," not "second-class college for second-class citizens."

Don't cry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Can an admin un-hide it?

Oh it's just lamely hid, they made it have a blank title so you wouldn't know what it is unless you post there.

Oooh shots fired:

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Oh it's just lamely hid, they made it have a blank title so you wouldn't know what it is unless you post there.

Also it is not a debate thread but an info thread. Lincoln's Wax is smart enough to know gun debate loving sucks and leads to dumb drama and lovely details.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not a debate thread because everyone agrees about stuff there. There's a term for it...

In fact posting in favor of gun control is bannable iirc.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

I've never wandered in there until now but holy gently caress those people are unhinged.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Also it is not a debate thread but an info thread. Lincoln's Wax is smart enough to know gun debate loving sucks and leads to dumb drama and lovely details.

No theyre cowards.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As impeachment isn't enough with AL just voting him back in, is there any way to get this shitheel disqualified from ever holding office again?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

As impeachment isn't enough with AL just voting him back in, is there any way to get this shitheel disqualified from ever holding office again?

Disbarment proceedings, but good luck with that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Dead girl or live boy, and even then, who knows.

Haha check out this good as hell idea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

It's not a debate thread because everyone agrees about stuff there. There's a term for it...

In fact posting in favor of gun control is bannable iirc.

lol. This is like calling an information hotline cowardly because they just answer questions about the law instead of having some poor zoning clerk debate the merits of public housing with you over the phone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

The GOP (with the exception of Trump who argued against it in a speech yesterday) thinks that Obama faked crying when talking about kids dying from gun violence.

Like there are already competing theories breaking down did he apply pressure with his thumb wipe to force the tear ducts to leak, did he have raw onion, did he have water on his thumb that he applied there, etc etc etc

lol at trump trolling everyone all the time, even the republicans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

lol. This is like calling an information hotline cowardly because they just answer questions about the law instead of having some poor zoning clerk debate the merits of public housing with you over the phone.

You act like I can't read the thread and see that this is bullshit.

mandatory lesbian posted:

lol at trump trolling everyone all the time, even the republicans

Actually he's doomed now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Oooh shots fired:

it is literally as easy as hitting the page numbers to post in it, this is like, you know, i've seen a lot of lame things on this website but this is def up there in dumb poo poo that accomplishes nothing

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

You act like I can't read the thread and see that this is bullshit.

Maybe they changed the rules, I haven't been following it lately. After dumb details it was for a long time info only and legal clarification, debate over how boohoo mad you were would get the thread closed.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Trump is currently feuding with Samuel L Jackson about whose golf is worse and this is an actual sentence describing events in the 2016 presidential election

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe they changed the rules, I haven't been following it lately. After dumb details it was for a long time info only and legal clarification, debate over how boohoo mad you were would get the thread closed.

I post unhinged rants from there in the chat thread after every news item involving guns rises to the top of the cycle.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Quorum posted:

There will never be an acceptable meat substitute until we can grow actual meat in tanks; all other options are made less appetizing by attempting to imitate meat. Soy and mushrooms can both be delicious in other contexts.

It doesn't have to be better than meat to succeed tho, it just needs to be better than the other meat substitutes on the market.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Obama's speech was pretty retarded and not at all surprising coming from him. https://popehat.com/2016/01/05/president-obama-and-the-rhetoric-of-rights/

Remember when Dems tended to be more skeptical of expansions to the no-fly list? Instead of like almost all dems in the Senate voting to expand it to guns? Good times.

Reminder that the popehat crew stridently believes in The Bell Curve and that black people are intrinsically inferior to whites. So if you think that may color his take on the actions of the black president, well...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trump has golfed with Bill Clinton. Bill has golfed with Obama. Therefore Trump has golfed with Obama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that the popehat crew stridently believes in The Bell Curve and that black people are intrinsically inferior to whites. So if you think that may color his take on the actions of the black president, well...

Aren't they goons as well?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Shakugan posted:

I'm very fortunate to be in a position of extreme privilege with regard to college since I have a full tuition waver and stipend at an Ivy, but that's why I'm so conscious of people who don't want to be here, shouldn't need to be here, and are taking on soul crushingly huge debt solely because society places an unnecessarily large value on degrees.

If I understand this correctly, what you're saying is that because you are receiving higher education at an elite institution for free, you are in a unique position to see why other people would not benefit from higher education. We shouldn't try to extend educational opportunity to everyone. Or, at least, extending educational opportunities to everyone who wants them would be nice, but is distinctly a secondary priority. The better and more realistic goal is to reverse the national obsession with self-improvement through education, and fundamentally alter the labor market calculation that makes employers demand a bachelor's degree to fill jobs that really only require the education represented by a high school diploma. So that, in effect, many more people will become okay with getting only a limited education and then working in a menial capacity.

I want to reiterate the first point I made, which was that in 1900 a grammar school education was considered sufficient for the overwhelming majority of people. You can find The History of American Education: A Statistical Portrait at the NCES website. In 1900-1910 only something like 10% of 14-17 year olds were enrolled in the public schools. After the end of child labor, high school enrollment and graduation rates began to soar, and by the 1970s it was firmly entrenched as the default minimum level of attainment for economic participation. Those rates steadied around the point where they could probably only be increased if the safety net were expanded to the point that nobody at all had to drop out to work. Or if something were actually done to address racial disparities in education, the economy, and society which lead to dramatically higher dropout rates among minorities. Not holding my breath on either count.

Not coincidentally, around the same time that high school graduation was reaching the saturation point in the 1960s and 1970s, higher education enrollment and graduation began a strong, continuous upward trajectory. This is still going strong, which is why the proportion of the population holding bachelor's and graduate degrees is the highest it's ever been and shows no sign of slowing, in spite of the tremendous debt load we're seeing. So we're talking about a broad-based social trend towards more and more education for all that began a century ago in the 1910s.

If I wasn't being unfair with my read on your position, and feel free to correct me if I was, what is your proposition to stop this trend? What policies do we implement to do it? You're talking about a drastic alteration in how people see and prioritize education. Also, is it even desirable to make more people spurn higher learning in favor of merely vocational training? Also, I don't see how this is a more realistic approach to the issue. We're agreed that the emphasis on higher education from both students and employers shows that the current K-12 model is insufficient. This leads me to think that we should extend public education. There are a few ways to do this that I can get into, but the most straightforward and the one that's already been put on the table by politicians is to make higher education free or at least more affordable. You disagree, and your proposal is that rather than make tweaks to education, we must somehow make radical changes in society at large. I don't even know how that could be done.

Changing the subject to to your comment about how extended education is actually unnecessary and K-12 would be enough preparation for the world if our system did a better job of teaching, how do you propose to increase the amount of content that students learn without increasing instructional time? Alternatively, what content are we to eliminate from the curriculum to make room for more relevant instruction? What would the new content of that instruction be? The proposals currently on the table from the school reform movement consist of high stakes math and literacy testing, which in effect means a curriculum based on math and literacy plus whatever else we can cover in the short gaps between--this is and has been a fairly poo poo way to run schools and it's already coming out of favor, so I think we can just disregard it. I'm curious about your alternative.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Aren't they goons as well?

No idea, just know that the one who goes by Clarkehat loses his poo poo on Twitter on the regular when someone calls him on that tired bullshit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fried Chicken posted:

It doesn't have to be better than meat to succeed tho, it just needs to be better than the other meat substitutes on the market.

Sure, if you're going to go by the same standards that would make the Green Party a success. Meanwhile most people would consider "like 1% of the population even wants this thing" a failure.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The only people who don't want you to go to college are Republican's and people who will one day run as a Republican, but post on the internet instead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't even bother trying to use meat substitutes. If I want a burger or something just use a portobello mushroom. Things are delicious and can very easily take the place of meat if you have even the slightest culinary capability.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only get a dog from a reputable dealer of dogs. Else the dog will spend half its existence trying to hump your guns.

Gun owners do enough gun humping as it is, the dogs are redundant.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Radbot posted:

And his BOOTSTRAPS manifesto is hilariously bad advice if you're not a ditch digger. I can't even imagine what a lovely life I'd lead if I volunteered for every project I could be apart of in the corporate world, or if I believed that "there are no bad jobs" so I would never advance my career.

It's hilariously bad advice in general, and predicated on a fundamentally naive view of the world. I'm pretty sure if I had followed any of his advice I'd be working in a Walmart right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's hilariously bad advice in general, and predicated on a fundamentally naive view of the world. I'm pretty sure if I had followed any of his advice I'd be working in a Walmart right now.

It's predicated on the American Dream.

Oh wait you said fundamentally naive view already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

I don't even bother trying to use meat substitutes. If I want a burger or something just use a portobello mushroom. Things are delicious and can very easily take the place of meat if you have even the slightest culinary capability.

I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but I'm willing to concede that may just be that I don't have a good recipe for them.

I do substitute puréed cauliflower for mashed potatoes though, and that's great.

• Locked thread