Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was a failure for the rest of the world because they started it.

It was a success for the U.S. because we ended it.

Totally alone.

Seriously.

It was won on D-Day with zero help whatsoever from anybody but American infantry.

The real truth is that it was a success for the U.S. because we hung back until most of the world powers had wrecked each other, then jumped in on the winning side. That way, we got to win a war and come out as the only powerful country still standing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

The real truth is that it was a success for the U.S. because we hung back until most of the world powers had wrecked each other, then jumped in on the winning side. That way, we got to win a war and come out as the only powerful country still standing.

We also got a rather significant amount of help from said wrecked nations. Though really a ton of the heavy lifting in Europe was done by Russia.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was a failure for the rest of the world because they started it.

It was a success for the U.S. because we ended it.

Totally alone.

Seriously.

It was won on D-Day with zero help whatsoever from anybody but American infantry.

This except American economy. Without that the noble worker's war on the eastern front would've been very different. Millions more of them would've starved without evil capitalist food aid and they'd never have made it to Berlin without our massive lend-leasin' welfare.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We also got a rather significant amount of help from said wrecked nations. Though really a ton of the heavy lifting in Europe was done by Russia.

Oh, I know, when it comes to winning the war. But because we had no home front (except Hawaii, I suppose), our economy and infrastructure were unaffected or even boosted. So when it was over, we were the most powerful country more or less by default.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Instead, it is counterproductive and weird.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Nah it's pretty much abuse. If a small child is upsetting you and your only recourse is assault, you've got issues.

DeusExMachinima posted:

This except American economy. Without that the noble worker's war on the eastern front would've been very different. Millions more of them would've starved without evil capitalist food aid and they'd never have made it to Berlin without our massive lend-leasin' welfare.

It's possible that "America single handedly won the war" can be complete bullshit while "The USSR single handedly won the war" can also be bullshit. If someone wanted to make a macro of a US sailor handing off some cargo to a Soviet dock worker to get all patriotic over, I don't think anyone would complain :shrug:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
"I was spanked as a child and I turned out just fine." - A Person Who Advocates Inflicting Physical Violence On Children

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I saw a right wing fwd fwd fwd featuring Vilerat pop up in my timeline.

There's some irony on that

https://twitter.com/Rene_gadeCowboy/status/684522021695307776

e:

Renegade Cowboy ⚓️ ‏@Rene_gadeCowboy 28s28 seconds ago
"how about you F off and worry about your own tweets"

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 6, 2016

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

FuzzySkinner posted:

I saw a right wing fwd fwd fwd featuring Vilerat pop up in my timeline.

There's some irony on that

https://twitter.com/Rene_gadeCowboy/status/684522021695307776

e:

Renegade Cowboy ⚓️ ‏@Rene_gadeCowboy 28s28 seconds ago
"how about you F off and worry about your own tweets"

"I knew Sean Smith. Sean Smith was a friend of mine. Sir, you're no Sean Smith."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Double Jeopardy. I haven't read that much about it, so there could be relevant details I'm missing, but from what I remember they were convicted, served a sentence, got out, then a federal official said "nope, I found a federal law that has a mandatory minimum, so back to jail you go!" It's a pretty sketchy way to keep someone in jail. Of course, that doesn't justify the reaction, and the people in jail have outright said "we don't support this protest." It's pretty obvious they were just looking for an excuse to screw with the feds.

From what I've read: arson on federal lands has a five-year minimum sentence, the trial judge said that was too harsh and sentenced them to a few months, the prosecution appealed because the trial judge refused to follow the law, and every higher court that looked at it went "are you crazy, they set fires that nearly killed someone, why are you ignoring the law" and gave them the proper sentence.

It's not double jeopardy to appeal an unlawful verdict and get a higher court to sentence the defendant according to the law.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FB fwd about the yallqaeda people

quote:

Bundy Refuge Takeover.

As a local businessman, pastor and member of our community, I was invited to join a group of men and women to go into the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters to meet with the people involved in the refuge standoff. As we approached refuge headquarters, we drove past the media vans with their huge satellite dishes on top some with camera lights still shining on people being interviewed. We were allowed past the vehicles blocking the lanes winding down the hill to the small cluster of buildings that make up the refuge headquarters.

Inside the old stone building in a small office area, we introduced ourselves to Ryan Bundy, Shawna Cox and one big, tattooed dude known as "Buddha" who I was later told is a bodyguard for one or both of the Bundy's. We weren't searched or even patted down. (I thought it best to leave my firearms at home but at least one of our group was packing.) We explained that rather than listening to the rumors and succumbing to the fears running wild in our community, we wanted to hear from them personally as to what was going on and what they wanted to achieve.

They thanked us for coming, Shawna proudly announced they had come up with a name and mission statement for their group. People for Constitutional Freedom, I believe is the handle they've tied to this operation. (To think that no one had formed that into words prior to the occupation surprised me. This really does seem like a fluid, fly-by-the-seat-of your pants operation.)

So, after some general talk about the day's events, Ryan Bundy began a short course on the United States Constitution and the forefather's limitations on the federal government particularly as it pertains to landownership. He explained that the role of federal government is, with the exception of the 100 square miles making up Washington D.C., only to dispose of property and land not to possess it. The discourse seemed sound with some of their own interpretation of who exactly should own the land thrown in whether that be state, county or private ownership.

Bundy also told from their perspective the story of the struggles they went through with the federal government on the family ranch in Nevada. He laid out the events and decisions they made that led them to the 2014 standoff that also made national news. Cox shared about an event in Utah where she saw the federal government allegedly abuse their power to remove a widow's cattle from an area the government wanted to designate a National Monument. Albeit all from their perspective, you began to see the motivations behind the group.

Individuals of the occupying group came and went from the tiny room during our stay of slightly over an hour. They ranged in dress from the latest, pseudo-military camouflage jacket to a sport coat. No one seemed particularly on edge or overly nervous. The guy in the camo jacket did stay at the door behind our group for a time before entering into the office and even into the conversation from time to time.

Ammon Bundy, evidently finished with the media blitz and whatever else a revolutionary leader does with his days, came in, shook the hands of several of our group and listened attentively to some suggestions as to how they might overcome some of the negative reactions within our community and possibly get their message out in a more succinct way. He made some notes on a sheet of plain paper lifted from a nearby table.

The biggest piece of advice I added to the discussion, more for our communities' benefit than theirs, was suggesting they actively address the rumors physical threats encircling our county. (The fact that our public schools had closed for the week seemed to genuinely surprise them.) There are many rumors of individuals, their families or government property being threatened with attack but with no substantiation. The fear in the community seems irrational or at least it would be if everyone sought to determine the legitimacy of the threats. Substantiation seems to be lacking as the small-town rumor mill spins somewhat out of control.

One of our group suggested having a meeting with some of the leaders and influencers in our community to help the locals understand their history and what they wanted to accomplish. Ammon, when asked if he could go into town for a meeting, almost looked surprised and and said he had "been all over the county today". He didn't seem to see why not. I'm not sure he knows how many rooms the FBI has booked in the small town of Burns.

As the impromptu meeting wound down, I asked if I could pray for them. They were more than willing and hats came off all around the room. I prayed just as I had prayed in every public place since this national event began in our isolated county. I asked for their personal protection, for wisdom in handling the situation, for restraint and level-headedness on both sides and that their voice be heard which I believe is their primary goal. The prayer seemed to be received gratefully.

Am I a convert? No, they are still breaking the law even if just for trespassing but I do feel I understand their position as well as our constitution much better. I also feel much better about the safety of our community. And, whether I agree with the course of action, I hope the message does get out. Our federal government seems to be so far past the authority our constitution gives it that just the idea of reigning it back into the role the founding fathers gave it does seem pretty radical. Government overreach is taken more seriously when it causes an individual's medical insurance premiums to rise than when it affects the economies of families and communities in the middle of nowhere.

Where in the heck is Burns, Oregon anyway?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargatron posted:

Every generation has the notion of "those loving kids" ruining everything and being entitled. This is not a new concept.

Now the big thing to do is use "Millenials" in a derogatory fashion by older people. It's so loving witless.

Boomers tend to do it at a greater rate to cover up how they are the most worthless self centered draining generation ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

"I don't agree with these guys but I agree with these guys."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Jesus. Already? That was loving fast.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

"I knew Sean Smith. Sean Smith was a friend of mine. Sir, you're no Sean Smith."

The worst was when some anti-Hillary ad put words in the mouths of the victims, having them complain about the Benghazi hearings from beyond the grave. The assumption was that of course they'd support this endless political theater.

VitalSigns posted:

From what I've read: arson on federal lands has a five-year minimum sentence, the trial judge said that was too harsh and sentenced them to a few months, the prosecution appealed because the trial judge refused to follow the law, and every higher court that looked at it went "are you crazy, they set fires that nearly killed someone, why are you ignoring the law" and gave them the proper sentence.

It's not double jeopardy to appeal an unlawful verdict and get a higher court to sentence the defendant according to the law.

It's definitely not double jeopardy in the literal sense. However, at least this time there's some clear reason for the protest beyond "I don't wanna pay taxes!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This one is related to the Philippines, so I need to give some quick backstory here. The presidential race is on, and one of the most popular candidates is the mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte. He has a lot of cheerleaders, from all sides, because he runs one of the cleanest and most livable cities in the country. However, even my liberal friends have a blind spot for the horrible things he does, because they somehow manage to spin these into making him look badass. There's a lot of terrible surrounding him, but the one specifically relevant here is that he has ties to armed vigilante groups that kill suspected criminals, is suspected of funding or even running them, and has openly expressed sentiments supporting them.

I can see why he appeals to some people because there are some cool things he supports no other politician in the Philippines openly does, like gay marriage and federalization, buuuut... it's one thing to have a friend who supports him, and another who flat out writes about the merits of extrajudicial killings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lol: Literally "to fight crime, you have to become crime" with bonus Are Chilren.

e: And of course there's right wing memes that miss the point of that original quote.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 6, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FuzzySkinner posted:

My grandfather served in the Army during WWII. I asked my father if he ever said anything to him about it or he ever mentioned what he did over there.

"Nope. Just kept quiet."

It always feels like the loudest "ARR TROOPS" types are people that have never served. Every serviceman and woman I've met were extremely humble people.

It's the same thing with my grandpa. He served in the Navy and was on an aircraft carrier that got kamikaze'd, but we only heard about that through others, and when people did interviews with him. He got to go on a trip to DC to go to the WW2 memorial two years ago, and while surrounded by a bunch of other vets, he apparently talked everyone's ear off about the war. The volunteers told our family "He told so many amazing stories!" we were like "What? He never told us any of them." I suppose a lot of military guys don't really feel like non-servicemen can relate.

Argue posted:

This one is related to the Philippines, so I need to give some quick backstory here. The presidential race is on, and one of the most popular candidates is the mayor of Davao City, Rodrigo Duterte. He has a lot of cheerleaders, from all sides, because he runs one of the cleanest and most livable cities in the country. However, even my liberal friends have a blind spot for the horrible things he does, because they somehow manage to spin these into making him look badass. There's a lot of terrible surrounding him, but the one specifically relevant here is that he has ties to armed vigilante groups that kill suspected criminals, is suspected of funding or even running them, and has openly expressed sentiments supporting them.

I can see why he appeals to some people because there are some cool things he supports no other politician in the Philippines openly does, like gay marriage and federalization, buuuut... it's one thing to have a friend who supports him, and another who flat out writes about the merits of extrajudicial killings.

Isn't the southern part of the Philippines the most dangerous area? I've visited Manila once, and have several Filipino friends, and all of them say "stay the hell away from the south islands. You'll get kidnapped." It wouldn't surprise me that someone like that would come from there.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Isn't the southern part of the Philippines the most dangerous area? I've visited Manila once, and have several Filipino friends, and all of them say "stay the hell away from the south islands. You'll get kidnapped." It wouldn't surprise me that someone like that would come from there.

Yes, it is, but it sort of feeds into the legend that this candidate has built insofar as Davao City has a reputation for being safe despite being on the island that has the most activity from Islamic insurgents, Maoist insurgents, and general criminality.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

So I wonder if whoever made this actually saw First Blood

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SpeedyCow posted:

To be fair, I don't think whoever made that movie saw First Blood.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Eh, I can agree with this, so long as you put the spanking into context. I was spanked all of once in my life. I was four years old, I unbuckled my seatbelt in the car, my mom pulled over swatted my rear end twice, then after I calmed down she sat me down and explained to me why what I did was dumb as hell.

It probably could have been done without the spanking, but knowing the kind of kid I was, the lesson wouldn't have stuck nearly as hard as it did.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SpeedyCow posted:

It doesn't matter if you've seen first blood it only matters that you feel what Rambo is: a metaphor for American greatness, rising again like a phoenix from the ashes of vietnam.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Technical Analysis posted:

Eh, I can agree with this, so long as you put the spanking into context. I was spanked all of once in my life. I was four years old, I unbuckled my seatbelt in the car, my mom pulled over swatted my rear end twice, then after I calmed down she sat me down and explained to me why what I did was dumb as hell.

It probably could have been done without the spanking, but knowing the kind of kid I was, the lesson wouldn't have stuck nearly as hard as it did.

The message would be far more direct if she just slammed on the brakes.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

The message would be far more direct if she just slammed on the brakes.

Soooo, you're against spanking but in favor of disciplining children by potentially giving them severe head injuries?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Willatron posted:

Soooo, you're against spanking but in favor of disciplining children by potentially giving them severe head injuries?

Did I stutter?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If your child takes off their seatbelt the appropriate thing to do is throw on the handbrake and turn the wheel to the left real fast.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Technical Analysis posted:

Eh, I can agree with this, so long as you put the spanking into context.
I'm sure people sharing that kind of images always "put it in context" when they cause physical pain to their children.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
kill the child and make a new one whenever they make a mistake, they are not of good genetic material if they don't follow your orders exactly to the T

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have spanked my children. Kids, especially in the 2-4 range, just aren't particularly rational. You can correct, you can reason, but at a certain point they need to be corrected in a way that reaches them. A swat on the hand or the butt works. It doesn't have to be a ceremony of punishment like pulling down the pants or getting a switch. Just a quick swat.

Also, there's a spectrum of correction imo. Spanking or any sort of pain is really on the far side of it. It should be reserved for the most necessary situations because if it's used for less, there's nowhere else to go from there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

If your child takes off their seatbelt the appropriate thing to do is throw on the handbrake and turn the wheel to the left real fast.

Nah, what you do is deliberately create a messy crash that they die in. They'll never unbuckle their seat belts ever again after that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"Terrified parent punitively strikes child before better judgement reasserts itself," is substantially easier for me to relate to than "terrible parent utilizes lifelong program of physical attacks in order to cow child into obedience."

e: obviously the appropriate course of action is to stare at the child, shriek wordlessly, stomp on the gas, and drive directly into the nearest immovable object

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RabbitWizard posted:

I'm sure people sharing that kind of images always "put it in context" when they cause physical pain to their children.
Some of them are terrified that there's a secret army of socialists that want to throw them in prison for even using physical force to restrain their child from running out into the street, so they go hard in the other direction.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

RabbitWizard posted:

Hey now, I'm sure when the kid acts out and they are angry and frustrated that will apply an appropriate amount of calm, controlled force that couldn't possibly cause harm.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've seen the 'Obama fake tears' thing from people on the right in the Freep thread, but I've only seen it from people on the far left on my own facebook, in the form of "if he had those tears genuinely due to domestic gun crime, he should be in constant floods due to all the children he droned and murdered by proxy in Syria" "yeah, I bet he had onion on his fingers"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

I used to be you had to have two trained psychologists administer a test to determine psychopathy. Now it's just "did he do a thing from a pop-body language book!?"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have spanked my children. Kids, especially in the 2-4 range, just aren't particularly rational. You can correct, you can reason, but at a certain point they need to be corrected in a way that reaches them. A swat on the hand or the butt works. It doesn't have to be a ceremony of punishment like pulling down the pants or getting a switch. Just a quick swat.

Also, there's a spectrum of correction imo. Spanking or any sort of pain is really on the far side of it. It should be reserved for the most necessary situations because if it's used for less, there's nowhere else to go from there.

The people who post memes like that aren't really defending that kind of thing, though. They're usually defending stuff like, "when my pa was angry we used to get the belt and we turned out just fine! <punches 8 year old>"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wouldn't be surprised if all Presidents, except maybe Ford (because he didn't actively try to become President)* and Carter (because come on)*, have been psychopaths. It's not really material.

* I realize that, to the public eye, this is also true of Frank Underwood.

* Carter's convincing lifetime of acting like a man of integrity and honest conviction might just mean he's the biggest psychopath of all.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 7, 2016