Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

fennesz posted:

I just wish they didn't loving throw. NA CS is essentially one big B team at this point.
half of them seem pretty incapable of playing with other people/staying in a team so I don't see how unbanning them would change this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Smol posted:

Not a fan of arbitrarily first offense permabanning people, especially without a clear rule book. Young kids make mistakes - sometimes big ones - and deserve second chances.

Riot games at least got that right - players that show reform have a real process for getting unbanned. For example, Cloud9'scurrent midlaner had a "lifetime" ban for being a toxic ddosing little poo poo, but then he grew up, Riot noticed it, an he got unbanned. Everyone at Volvo on the other hand seems to be too cool to do work like that, so they just throw their hands in the air and do nothing. :shrug:

oh gee guys, maybe we shouldn't have thrown a professional tournament match to gently caress people out of hundreds of dollars and make the sport we're helping legitimize look like a joke. Sorry everybody, sorry. :saddowns:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

2 year ban would have been enough to scare people

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the worst thing about this arguement is i hate everyone that has an opinion on it and wants to share it with the world

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

trying to jack off posted:

the worst thing about this arguement is i hate everyone that has an opinion on it and wants to share it with the world

I think they should unban them, then permaban, them, then bring back that japanese tv show where they roll different kinds of tires and find out which one goes farthest

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I bet none of you guys crying for permanent bans are asking for banning current NA hopes like Skadoodle or s1mple.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Smol posted:

I bet none of you guys crying for permanent bans are asking for banning current NA hopes like Skadoodle or s1mple.

I am.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

RIP NA team, died as you lived (losing games)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Two things get you perma-banned: match-fixing and cheating. I doubt Riot wouldn't perma either of those cases.

I feel like half the reason people are wanting it overturned is because they threw for skins and not real money. I wonder if people would feel differently if they had thrown for thousands of dollars in cash instead. Because effectively that's what they did, it just feels weird because "pixels".

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

No they want it overturned because they're Americans.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Valve has no rights to bar digital Americaans from their digital guns, it's a clear violation of the 2nd amendment.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

Holy poo poo that NA FPL soundboard is way too good. I can't get enough of it

http://zorkz.ovh/nafpl/soundboard/

linked

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://zorkz.ovh/nafpl/soundboard/sound27.mp3

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Valve has no rights to bar digital Americaans from their digital guns, it's a clear violation of the 2nd amendment.

im gonna figure out a way to be the ted bundy of this whole situation

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

So I've been watching cs for about a month now, haven't played it but have a random question. For some reason while watching high-level play I thought of that old Smart Guy episode where TJ confuses/beats a megacomputer at chess by making really dumb moves. Assuming your aim was great and all that, could you make nonsense plays as a "strat" to confuse the other team and win? Not all the time but I just thought of it cuz I never see anyone call plays that are weird.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

So I've been watching cs for about a month now, haven't played it but have a random question. For some reason while watching high-level play I thought of that old Smart Guy episode where TJ confuses/beats a megacomputer at chess by making really dumb moves. Assuming your aim was great and all that, could you make nonsense plays as a "strat" to confuse the other team and win? Not all the time but I just thought of it cuz I never see anyone call plays that are weird.

Nonsense plays happen plenty. Rushing smokes, completely nade-less full rushes. The equivalent to playing like a moron in CS is playing extremely aggressively, i.e. over-peeking and pushing all the time no matter what. It doesn't really confuse an opponent, but it may take them by surprise sometimes.

It essentially is a strat, mostly as a CT, because anything as T goes tbh so long as you can get a pick. Old fnatic on de_inferno was famous for basically unbalancing their opponents as CT by erratically pushing random positions. Inferno is a map where as T you need time to set up your smokes and flashes, so there is scope for CT players to push and flank and mess with your opponent.

Nobody calls these plays weird because they are common enough. Once you've watched 1000 rounds of de_inferno or whatever, it is no longer weird to see a CT push balcony on a buy up, even though it may only have happened 20 times in those 1000 rounds.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

yes watch a snax demo

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

goldblums eyes posted:

could you make nonsense plays as a "strat" to confuse the other team and win?

Never fake a defuse and soon enough you'll have people on T-side complain that you're "doing it wrong" and should have lost the round. :smug:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
There's something beautiful about the banned iBP players touring the country just dominating lovely local LANs with $250 prize pools for the rest of their lives.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

real dilemma posted:

yes watch a snax demo

the difference between the snax and the moron is that snax always manages to push at the exact moment his opponents don't expect it, even if they were expecting it for the last minute

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Playing super poo poo faced last night was fun as poo poo. Glad I now deranked to Gn2 or what ever. Sorry about that slurps!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Never fake a defuse and soon enough you'll have people on T-side complain that you're "doing it wrong" and should have lost the round. :smug:

Never fake defuse. Especially when you have bad aim and you know the plant money will keep you off of a bad buy.

I speak from experience.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thom and the Heads posted:

There's something beautiful about the banned iBP players touring the country just dominating lovely local LANs with $250 prize pools for the rest of their lives.

The 21st century equivalent of a burned out band touring America's bar scene.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
how is cevo these days for pugs? like whats the approximate skill range on those?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Luna Was Here posted:

how is cevo these days for pugs? like whats the approximate skill range on those?

From FetalDave to swag. Varies a lot, from what I've seen.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I might try it out but idk

mm games are just really unfulfilling to solo queue in and I don't have a regular stack of people to play with since i play at really varied times

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sterster posted:

Playing super poo poo faced last night was fun as poo poo. Glad I now deranked to Gn2 or what ever. Sorry about that slurps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dP1DJaQYUM

don't play drunk kids

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
r u srs?

like fr?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I finally fell back to Silver Elite Master, where I was originally placed... five months ago? Or something like that? I was hoping the game would at least keep me in the low Novas, where I was for the past week or two, but it looks like it only happened because we had a long victory streak - one poor performance and it's back to the silvers for the whole team. Not gonna lie, it's pretty disheartening.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

So I finally fell back to Silver Elite Master, where I was originally placed... five months ago? Or something like that? I was hoping the game would at least keep me in the low Novas, where I was for the past week or two, but it looks like it only happened because we had a long victory streak - one poor performance and it's back to the silvers for the whole team. Not gonna lie, it's pretty disheartening.

the new ranking system+lots of new smurfs and derankers is evening out the bellcurve, and pushing former low novas downward. I imagine it will smooth out soon after the sale.

edit: if it makes you feel better, high rank Silver is basically the new GN, and upper GN is basically the new MG-MGE.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh, I'm fully aware. It just looks bad, you know. And it makes me wonder where would I place nowadays if I played the way I played back then.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Luna Was Here posted:

I play CEVO almost exclusively. Stick to average 13+ eff and you'll get good games. Any lobby where you are in the top end of the skill range stay away from.

https://cevo.com/member/224637/?_g=53

I'm east coast, add me if you need a buddy to play some with.

Audax fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 7, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Famethrowa posted:

edit: if it makes you feel better, high rank Silver is basically the new GN, and upper GN is basically the new MG-MGE.

Nova 4 feels like MGE to me, which is where I was before the changes. That said I won about 7 games in a row then lost one, while top fragging no less and deranked to Nova 3. :11tea: The ranking system at the moment is such a loving joke that I don't take it seriously. Whether you go up or down feels totally arbitrary and that is how I'm going to treat it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
e: ehhh

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 7, 2016

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Idk I quit caring about rank. As long as mm puts me with similarly skilled dudes its doing its job

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive been liking faceit because you always get clueless noobs in the game. i dropped 52 frags the other night and the game went into overtime

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Nova 4 feels like MGE to me, which is where I was before the changes. That said I won about 7 games in a row then lost one, while top fragging no less and deranked to Nova 3. :11tea: The ranking system at the moment is such a loving joke that I don't take it seriously. Whether you go up or down feels totally arbitrary and that is how I'm going to treat it.

I think with a bit of time the ranking will calm down.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Rank is the only important thing in cs and anyone who doesn't agree has just bad, OK?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Been getting back into it and im scared of the first loss, going from eagle back to nova 4 will be depressing as gently caress even though i know it means gently caress all in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I went from dmg to mg2 in my first loss, so it won't be that bad. Largemargin has lost countless games with me since the rank shift but is still Eagle for no loving reason (wanker) x

• Locked thread