Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Takoluka posted:

have you ever played animal crossing

This is a seriously good point that is making me reconsider my opinion of Amiibo Festival, but I'll still never buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Rexroom posted:

Anyway, here's more analyst babble: NX to be released in the holiday season, expected to "launch" on the third quarter of 2017, starts to generate profits in third quarter of 2018.

How does something release a year before it launches?

Edit: never mind - I misread "the" as "this."

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Takoluka posted:

have you ever played animal crossing

Animal Crossing is a game where things aren't super fast, you at least have a lot of options and can do almost whatever you want. Go fishing, annoy neighbors, collect sea shells, visit another town, etc...

The Amiibo Festival game is like Animal Crossing if you can only move in straight lines and have to wait to take your turn and the ending is random and no fun is had.

Animal Crossing is fun and chill. Amiibo Festival is a poorly planned board game.

Also, to those speculating on closed doors presentations of the NX, in E3 2005 they showed the Wii (which was probably still called the Revolution at the time) behind closed doors at E3. At that time the "photo" of the system still showed those 4 available colors we never got. However, it wasn't a secret they did so. They told people they were showing it behind closed doors.

So much speculation.

Lastly, we're too far into the Wii U lifecycle and we haven't gotten a full fledged single player 3D Mario game (like Galaxy). If there is one I'm sure it has been sent to the NX. I love Super Mario Maker, but 3D Marios (like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy) are the best to me!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't understand people who think 3D World isn't a fully fledged 3D Mario game.

It's not necessarily single player, but next time they release another major 3D platformer I hope it's also multiplayer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

greatn posted:

I really don't understand people who think 3D World isn't a fully fledged 3D Mario game.

It's not necessarily single player, but next time they release another major 3D platformer I hope it's also multiplayer.

Because jumping more than once doesn't make you go higher!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
3D World is a fabulous Mario game. It has a ton of levels too!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

greatn posted:

Yeah I don't see them making a game like 64/Sunshine or Galaxy ever again.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I'm making this up but I'm pretty sure Miyamoto said something about wanting better/more powerful hardware before doing another Galaxy/Sunshine/64 style 3D Mario

Spellman
May 31, 2011

greatn posted:

Well, that they were putting a 3D Mario game on the 3DS became the launching point for why they didn't just bring Galaxy to the system — they wanted to make something that made sense for the device. Super Mario 3D Land was a smart way to put a somewhat 3D Mario game on a mobile device.

So we got what was supposed to be a game that bridges the gap between 2D and 3D Mario games. Things like fixed cameras, the goal pole, and the timed levels make it a completely different experience. But for some reason they brought that style of game to the home console. Maybe they thought it would be a better fit for 4-player co-op, but it's kind of disappointing for people who wanted to see the next Galaxy (or Sunshine!).

I don't think the people who really like Galaxy games wanted this style of gameplay to steamroll over the star-collecting 3D games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spectacle Rock posted:

The Amiibo Festival game is like Animal Crossing if you can only move in straight lines and have to wait to take your turn and the ending is random and no fun is had.

You're thinking of Monopoly.

I've had plenty of fun with amiibo festival with my friends, and we've even found enjoyable instances of tension, since the Stalk Market exists and there are (sometimes) spaces on the board worse than Bowser spaces. Also, the minigames are very enjoyable, especially the island escape game.

It's definitely not for everyone, though. If you're a bunch of 20-somethings looking for serious competition, you're not finding it there. If you're babysitting your niece and nephew, or hanging out with your Animal Crossing-enjoying friends who think Digby and K.K. are cool dudes, then you're gonna have a good time.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Both Galaxy 2 and Super Mario 3D World are great Mario games and I would gladly play a sequel in either of their styles. I think I like 3D World a little bit better though. It just felt a little more fun and fast paced than Galaxy 2 did.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Galaxy was pretty near 3D World anyway. With a few exceptions that have a large area, most of the stars railroad you down a string of unique planets that are small and directed, and you can almost never get a star out of sequence if it isn't the one you chose. Even Sunshine didn't let you "sequence break" like that as much. I'd go with Mario 64 freedom, Sunshine art direction/theme consistency, Galaxy controls and gravity shenanigans, and 3D World's level variety and multiplayer.

If you have an emulator and a partner, the 2-player Mario 64 mod is pretty fun to experience the game in a new way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M33-zPQRzY

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I vastly prefer linear platforming levels of Galaxy and 3D World than the more open stages of Sunshine and 64. I want more 3D Worlds.

That being said, I'd also play a remaster of Mario 64 that had art assets that looked as good as 3D World

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Electromax posted:

Galaxy was pretty near 3D World anyway. With a few exceptions that have a large area, most of the stars railroad you down a string of unique planets that are small and directed, and you can almost never get a star out of sequence if it isn't the one you chose. Even Sunshine didn't let you "sequence break" like that as much. I'd go with Mario 64 freedom, Sunshine art direction/theme consistency, Galaxy controls and gravity shenanigans, and 3D World's level variety and multiplayer.

If you have an emulator and a partner, the 2-player Mario 64 mod is pretty fun to experience the game in a new way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M33-zPQRzY

Magical things happen over netplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_x723lqyF4

Also you can install this on an actual Wii and play on that if you have a homebrew enabled Wii!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

IDK, Galaxy gives me chills sometimes it's so cool. When I hop into a level in 3D World, I'm just kinda playing it and it is evoking no emotional response from me. Everything is beautiful and clean and nice but I know I'm going to be in the level for a minute 30, there's gonna be a secret room with a P-switch halfway through the level, and I'm gonna have to stop and touch the screen or blow on the mic to make a platform come to me.

I like breaks in the action, where you can just stand around soak in the atmosphere. Or like, low-key poo poo like the levels where you pull Mario around on those gravity wells with the cursor, that stuff was really neat and tense sometimes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, it's "all of the above" for me. I loved 3D World, the Galaxies, 64, and heck even Sunshine mostly. I'd take a new one of any of them, though I guess gun to the head I'd like a new Galaxy/64/Sunshine only because we just got a 3D World which followed the also-excellent 3D Land.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah I just want Nintendo to make both 3D Land/World games and 64/Sunshine/Galaxy games. They're both really good in their own ways.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just want a Mario FPS game where he blasts the gently caress out of Toads.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waltzing Along posted:

I just want a Mario FPS game where he blasts the gently caress out of Toads.

Not quite blasting the gently caress out of Toads, but...

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The turnip shooting parts in Captain Toad are really fun.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
miyamoto said that he won't make super mario galaxy 3 until the earth is cleansed of sin

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Whatever the NX turns out to be I want them to name it either the "Nintendo Entertainment System" or the "Super U".

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I want the New Super Nintendo

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just saw a news article posted on Facebook that Nintendo is set to unveil their new console in the summer and begin selling it in the fall.

Due to a weird computer setup I can't link it here. The article is on comingsoon.net.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
All main series Mario games are incredibly epic

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Name it the Wii UX

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RyokoTK posted:

3D World is a fabulous Mario game. It has a ton of levels too!

I mean, it has Mario, Luigi, the little guy - it's all in there!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The NX will have the official name of the WooWii.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it's gonna be WowWii cause that's what you'll say when you play it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nintendo's next console, the WowWii ZoWii.

It comes with free Pavement songs.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Funky Valentine posted:

Nintendo's next console, the WowWii ZoWii.

It comes with free Pavement songs.

New Pavement songs or just old ones?

Ah what the hell I'd be down either way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Great, Nintendo's next console has a key demographic of hipster dads.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

codenameFANGIO posted:

New Pavement songs or just old ones?

Ah what the hell I'd be down either way.

Unfortunately, they could only license everything that wasn't Slanted and Enchanted.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
the nx will be named konamii

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking about renaming MYSELF Nintendo NX.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

VideosGame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Don't do it!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

VideoGames posted:

can't wait for you to come out

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

VideoGames posted:

Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

enojy posted:

Great, Nintendo's next console has a key demographic of hipster dads.

Sweet.

• Locked thread