Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
In regards to /r/starcitizen's Oculus thread:

Star Citizen's balk at paying $600 for a tangible good.

Truly if you can't get the citizen's to buy it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Young Freud posted:

What the gently caress is this "not backer funded, but subscriber funded"? It's all the same pot of money.

There are extra-dumb dummies who pay 15bux a month to help meet Sandi's minimum "front-of-camera-time" quotas. They get literally nothing for it other than some jpegs of jpegs to hang in their hangar and access to a special forum.

Supposedly this money is kept separate from regular retards' money, but I doubt it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I keep what little fiat currency I still have in boxes in vents, so my mortgage company can't find it and take it away.

Better hope your agent isn't a citizen.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Are you posting from Oregan? Should we send snacks?

I'm not in Oregon any more, but I would still love some snacks.

e: I just realized what this makes me sound like. I used to live in Oregon. I am in no way associated with those retards freezing their balls off in Burns.

double e: I do really like snacks though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bait and Swatch posted:

If English isn't Matilda's first language, why does [gender pronoun here] use the word ilk? It doesn't seem like a word that would be common.

It won't. And it's not a term that's even commonly used in the English language; let alone by someone who claims to be in Germany.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

A fan creates a valedictory celebration of the achievements of 2015.

"We are the heroes of our time..."

1.07 :eyepop:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bait and Swatch posted:

Step right up to see this next one ladies and gentlemen, truly the wonders of the 'verse never cease. It is sure to :gonk: and :stonk: you. I have titled it :yikes: Brought to you by SCforum member Zealot:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/310241/the-sickening-and-heartbreaking-truths-of-the-fourth-stimpire

"Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will."

You left an awful lot out friend.

A Typical Star Citizen posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:hawaaaafap:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Question for the history buffs:

Although 38 Studios collapse was kind of a big deal, it didn't have a community quite like whatever the gently caress the Star Citizen community is.

Are there any historical examples of a project of this size, and with this many emotionally invested potential customers, failing?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Although 38 Studios collapse was kind of a big deal, it didn't have a community quite like whatever the gently caress the Star Citizen community is.

Are there any historical examples of a project of this size, and with this many emotionally invested potential customers, failing?

Well the big one that comes to mind is that whole German debacle seventy or so years ago...

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Wookie Bouquet posted:

The problem is its a device not a jpeg of a device

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wookie Bouquet posted:

They need to hire Chris Roberts to do a livestream endorsement. He could fumble on the keyboard, put it on backwards, then drop it onto what's left of his balls, and they'd sell out in 6 minutes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

Age Of Conan was pretty bad back in the day.
You had super serious ROLE PLAYERS who always had loving HEAVY HEARTS for some reason and they got shafted good and proper in the early days by getting tea bagged over and over again by normal people PVPing.
The forums were amazing and very similar to Star Citizens.

It is with a heavy heart that I, King Grogheart clasp my hand to my heavy heart along side my wife Queen Gwynnytits and her heavy heart as we heavy heartedly take another heavy teabagging while trying to use the walk command at all times

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
That part just made me kinda sad :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Well the big one that comes to mind is that whole German debacle seventy or so years ago...

The greatest teabagging of them all

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Someone should tell him that CIG are not using the Cryengine, but are using the Starengine.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Oh how far we've come since then

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Amazing. That 4th Stimpire whipped around from being creepy serial killer poo poo back around to being hilarious because it was so over the top.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Age Of Conan was pretty bad back in the day.
You had super serious ROLE PLAYERS who always had loving HEAVY HEARTS for some reason and they got shafted good and proper in the early days by getting tea bagged over and over again by normal people PVPing.
The forums were amazing and very similar to Star Citizens.

It is with a heavy heart that I, King Grogheart clasp my hand to my heavy heart along side my wife Queen Gwynnytits and her heavy heart as we heavy heartedly take another heavy teabagging while trying to use the walk command at all times

Age of Conan did release, though. Even though it''s mostly poo poo. I was thinking about a time a project just died in the cradle.

I know Jumpgate Evolution died. The forums were similar to SC's, but nobody had money invested, and the customer count was not as high. I suspect Everquest Next will never come to light, but I'm not sure about their community. I doubt it's stellar, but I've never seen anything quite like the star cultists. This collapse is going to be the must-see-TV of 2016.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bait and Swatch posted:

Step right up to see this next one ladies and gentlemen, truly the wonders of the 'verse never cease. It is sure to :gonk: and :stonk: you. I have titled it :yikes: Brought to you by SCforum member Zealot:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/310241/the-sickening-and-heartbreaking-truths-of-the-fourth-stimpire

"Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will."

Still there. Still not probated. I wasn't joking when I said that clearly CIG and I have different definitions of toxicity.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

Age of Conan did release, though. Even though it''s mostly poo poo. I was thinking about a time a project just died in the cradle.

I know Jumpgate Evolution died. The forums were similar to SC's, but nobody had money invested, and the customer count was not as high. I suspect Everquest Next will never come to light, but I'm not sure about their community. I doubt it's stellar, but I've never seen anything quite like the star cultists. This collapse is going to be the must-see-TV of 2016.

Tabula Rasa is probably the closest to that scenario that I have been involved in, oh and Hellgate

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Still there. Still not probated. I wasn't joking when I said that clearly CIG and I have different definitions of toxicity.

Has the subtle hint of agony in pink

holy moley don't google that

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Tabula Rasa is probably the closest to that scenario that I have been involved in, oh and Hellgate

Hellgate was an odd beast. For some reason, I really enjoyed it, and I was bummed when it went down. Warframe is extremely similar, but somehow bored the poo poo out of me.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can someone find me a quote from croberts or sandi admitting that this alpha is a full fledged game? I want to prove a point to someone.

The official response:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Scruffpuff posted:

Silent Hills is up there

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikatana#Development

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bait and Swatch posted:

If English isn't Matilda's first language, why does [gender pronoun here] use the word ilk? It doesn't seem like a word that would be common.

I use “ilk”… :sweden:

…then again, I have probably had more formal English education than Sandi has, so that might be the reason.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 7, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

Hellgate was an odd beast. For some reason, I really enjoyed it, and I was bummed when it went down. Warframe is extremely similar, but somehow bored the poo poo out of me.

Same here, sort of, it was poo poo but OK poo poo, if you know what I mean.
Tabula Rasa was odd, it had all the role playing dudes getting very serious then one day it was pretty much 'Going to space brb' and everything was gone :lol:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Now that's a good one. This is playing out so similarly it boggles the mind.

Chis Roberts has already made his customers his bitch, though, so he made good on Romero's promises all those years ago.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

The official response:

Derek, sit back in your chair, open your image and read it, if you cannot read it it means we cannot read it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Banshee: Introduction & Prologue

quote:

However, the captain was dead. The captain, in his light marine suit, was electrocuted by parts of the ship's wiring. The other two assistant pilots were locked in their seats, which was malfunctioning and turning around and back at high speeds. They were unable to escape, and as the turning force increased, they were flung off the seats, ripping them fresh from their arms and legs. They were left at the back of the bridge room, screaming. The other pilot was given the luxury of being decapitated by a malfunctioning door after only a few seconds, but the other one was subjected to brutal and miraculous reconstruction methods by the ship. The wires also malfunctioned, and the sparks were able to stem the bleeding. Without any arms or legs, the crewman was unable to move. If decapitation and infection wouldn't kill him, the eventual black hole would.

The window then cracked, and the room was quickly decompressing. The crewman's helmet was flung to the boarding platform, and it would be unbearable to grab it. It would also take force to place on, and without any arms or legs to carry out the task, the crewman would burst from all the pressure. It would be a slow and painful way to go. He could already feel his body start to expand, and also the sense of losing oxygen. His only escape was by placing the helmet on and launching himself into space, but he was alone on the ship, and all the other crew, as he saw down the corridor, were dead. The shining, white livery was now stained with blood and corpses, and the lights were now flickering. He would just have to hope something would happen. It was 20 kilometres from jump point. If it didn't happen within 20 seconds, he would be brutally twisted and turned, still alive. An explosion catapulted the helmet to him, but he was still unable to put it on.

10 kilometres from jump point. The ship was now starting to feel a small gravitational pull. Its speed was increasing. 1 km/s. 1.4 km/s. 1.9 km/s. 2.3 km/s. And to the horror of the crewman, the ship was torn apart by the force of the jump point. Blood was then released from the explosion, and severed uniforms assisted the creation of the debris of the ship. There was nothing left of it. It met the same fate as the planet, as did the rest of the crew. The one crewman was the last survivor of the proximity collapse. It was over. There was nothing left. The remains of the ship were then sucked in to the jump point, along with the remains of it. It would be catapulted to another galaxy.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts is About To Make You His Whale

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

this is loving killing me :perfect:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
At the SQ company meeting
On their hands - a dead star
And ooh, the plans that they weave
And ooh, the sickening greed

At the SC company party
On their hands - a dead star
The sycophantic slags all say:
"I called it first, it's all Derek's fault!"

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the physics and ui
Double pack with a photograph
Extra Track (and a tacky badge)

A-list, whale list
"Scam them, Scam them!"
"Scam them, Scam them!"
(sadly, THIS was your life)
But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to...

SC, SQ, RSI
"Fleece them!, Fleece them!"
(sadly, this was your life)
But you could have said no
If you'd wanted to
You could have walked away
...couldn't you?

I touched you at the mocap
You had no real way of knowing
In my heart I begged "please, take me with you...
I don't care where you're going..."
But to you I was faceless
I was fawning, I was boring
Just a child from those ugly new houses
Who could never begin to know
Who could never really know

Best of! Most of!
Satiate the need
Slip them into different sleeves!
Buy both, and be deceived
Climber - new entry, re-entry

World tour! ("media whore")
"Please the Press and bribe the rest
(THIS was your life...)
And when it fails to recoup?
Well, maybe:
You just haven't earned it yet, baby

I walked a pace behind you at the mocap
You're just the same as I am
What makes most people feel happy
Leads us headlong into harm
So, in my bedroom in those 'expensive new houses'
I danced my legs down to the knees
But me and my 'true love'
Will never meet again ...

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 7, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Can someone find me a quote from croberts or sandi admitting that this alpha is a full fledged game? I want to prove a point to someone.

Sandi Gardiner posted:

And I think there is enough of the game out and its being optimized. I see a lot of games and try them and I am just plain and simply Bored. For $45 we are a steal! There's plenty to do for that amount and tell me which game out there in the world hasn't been late??? You want a s**** game or do you want to wait? Thing is companies aren't showing it as they go. If GTAV had been open development or Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 people probably would have been doing the same thing they are to us and they've certainly taken more than 3 years for their game! Everyone voted for more, no-one wanted a $10Million game. That doesn't buy you much. There aren't more talented people out there for the CryEngine - we have the best. Want to ask the German team or Paul Reindell or Mark Abent or Sean Tracy or a genius at CryEngine what they think of Chris' coding? He re-wrote a bunch of the code to make it do what it does now that hasn't been done before! Like I said, I am one of the best in the world at what I do and I know something great when I see it. The pupil to planet video is absolutely mind-blowing and I haven't seen any other game out there that appeals to me more than that did when I saw it. 2.0 as the bugs are fixed is also amazing and I've had more fun playing that than I've ever had playing Elite.

RSI Refund Denial posted:

The development of the game is proceeding steadily, and a substantial part of the promised game offering dozens of gameplay hours has been made available to the backers in early release versions (see further detail below).

RSI Refund Denial posted:

While a substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available, we acknowledge that delivery of some game elements has been delayed due to expansion of Star Citizen’s scope.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

You left an awful lot out friend.

That guy should legit be on a watchlist.

I did like this bit though:

quote:

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor

Most open development ever

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, seriously where is that fanfic somebody posted that had Ben Lesnick being the warlord who's actually in charge and Chris as his fearful toady?

This one? :nws: https://np.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3qkoud/derek_smart_fanfiction/ :nws:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

D_Smart posted:

The official response:

Thank you but eventually he seemed quite level headed, not entirely stupid but not really believing about them burning through money. *shrug*

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

STAR CITIZEN: A substantive part of the promised gameplay is now available...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Man, I had forgotten about my completely libelous review of Derek Smart's Universal Combat:

http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/completely-libelous-review/1/

what a fantastic opening line:

quote:

Universal Combat is one of the first games produced solely for sex offenders.

• Locked thread