Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Aunt Beth posted:

Three disks for Windows drives under RAID 5
Seven for the database in its flexcone
Nine for striped scratch doomed to die
One for the CE on his dark throne
In the studio basement where the shadows lie
One Buffalo to sync them all, one NAS to find them
One NAS to bring them all and with the LDAP bind them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I stumbled across this checking out a series of reports in Mutiny.

If it's green, it's no problem!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Aunt Beth posted:

Holy moly.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I hate it when other people do a shtick i started better than I do (no i don't, the Ring Verse is fuckin awesome)

Now, aunt beth, translate it to Black Speech :D

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
A ticket came in:

quote:

I'll be hosting xyz.com going forward. Please set the nameservers to ns01.abc.com and ns02.abc.com and change the A record for xyz.com to 12.34.56.78

Excuse me sir I don't believe you understand how DNS works.

If I set it to your nameservers I can't set the A record and to make it even better, their nameservers don't even have *any* records for xyz.com. Yay companies that do webhosting with no idea how the basics work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why don't you just change the nameservers and let them deal with the poo poo? It's not longer your problem.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Looks like I'm next (possibly) on the list to get my Top Secret (with Polygraph) clearance. Which should be a fun year of background checks, polygraphs and financial statements.

The joys of government contracting. I've heard from my coworkers who have that it's a bit of a nightmare.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Looks like I'm next (possibly) on the list to get my Top Secret (with Polygraph) clearance. Which should be a fun year of background checks, polygraphs and financial statements.

The joys of government contracting. I've heard from my coworkers who have that it's a bit of a nightmare.

There was a job posting at the Federal Government that I entertained that said it would take about 8 months to get the security clearance required to do the job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pr0digal posted:

enjoy getting your poo poo hacked by the chinese in like 10 years time

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ChubbyThePhat posted:

There was a job posting at the Federal Government that I entertained that said it would take about 8 months to get the security clearance required to do the job.

I worked a government contracting job for about 2 years and my clearance processing still hadn't cleared by the time I was let go due to issues with our contract.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spankmeister posted:

enjoy getting your poo poo hacked by the chinese in like 10 years time

My mom works for the National Park Service so that ship has already sailed and been sunk. I didn't get a letter but from what she told me some of my info got grabbed in the OPM breach.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pr0digal posted:

My mom works for the National Park Service so that ship has already sailed and been sunk. I didn't get a letter but from what she told me some of my info got grabbed in the OPM breach.

That was a fun letter to get in the mail. My info was part of that breach as well, resulting from a background check I had done to coach little league of all things. The only comfort I have is knowing that probably 3/4 of Americans identities has been stolen or compromised already. Why do we use a social security # as a password and an ID #? Our whole system of authentication and authorization in this country needs overhauled.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I also have a clearance from my government and I'm pretty confident my stuff will never leak because those intelligence guys are like a black hole, everything goes in, nothing ever comes back out. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

go3 posted:

Client called, natives enjoyed New Years Eve a little too much and celebratory gun fire came through the roof and hit 2 feet from their server. Currently devising armor plating for server/network closet.

Texas, y'all.

Aunt Beth posted:

These are both just amazing :allears:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:v: Bing is down.
:geno: Sure is.
:v: I need Bing.
:geno: Sorry.
:v: Fix it!
:geno: 'Kay.
(2 minutes later)
:v: It's back! Was that you?
:geno: Sure was. Have a nice day.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 6, 2016

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A 3% reduction in force came in...

... and resolved two open tickets for a user who was difficult to pin down, because she was part of the 3%

Also futzing with Varonis on its trial showed that on 1/2/16, around 2 million file events occurred. Since we only had around 300-500 on the other vacation days, now I get to find out what in the actual gently caress happened.

All hail Varonis in that it can find this stuff, it just takes time to run a query that generates 2 million results.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

KillHour posted:

:v: Bing is down.
:geno: Sure is.
:v: I need Bing.
:geno: Sorry.
:v: Fix it!
:geno: 'Kay.
(2 minutes later)
:v: It's back! Was that you?
:geno: Sure was. Have a nice day.
That goes both ways, though.

:v: Why aren't class schedules automatically being loaded into executives' schedules?
:geno: Because they're sent out as Outlook calendar invites, and a person has to accept an invite for it to appear on their calendar and sync to their phone. If they decline the invite or ignore it, it's not going to show up.
:v: I'm holding you personally responsible for fixing that!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The Macaroni posted:

That goes both ways, though.

:v: Why aren't class schedules automatically being loaded into executives' schedules?
:geno: Because they're sent out as Outlook calendar invites, and a person has to accept an invite for it to appear on their calendar and sync to their phone. If they decline the invite or ignore it, it's not going to show up.
:v: I'm holding you personally responsible for fixing that!

Pass the buck and step out from the middle.

"Dear Exec,

This :v: person wants to be a delegate for your calendar. At your request I can provide authorization for :v: to schedule appointments for you. Let me know if this is something you want implemented."

The real problem with taking credit for fixing Bing (or whatever else you didn't actually do) is you're #1 on their list if it breaks again. And if whoever DID fix it can't, you're on the hook with that user and there's nothing you can do about it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Not pissing me off: tried Fiddler for the first time today, drat thats a nice tool for troubleshooting all kinds off web stuff. Its basically a sane svctraceviewer.

We've had a long-running quarrel about where a contract mismatch in a service actually occurs, and I was able to capture a request and point at the wrong SOAP-Action in 5 minutes. Also to trap a request, edit the header and then see it complete ok to verify beyond any doubt.

What are some other must-have troubleshooting-tools you lot use?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

God I'm an idiot today.

Manager: Please give John Doe external access to [Application].
Me: (adds John Doe to AD group for external access) Done!
John Doe: I still can't access [Application].
Me: ... Turns out you don't have an account for it. Just external access for if you had one.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Kind of pissing me off today: HR declined to do a salary review this fiscal year.

I love where I work, but it's sticking in my craw to be 15% under what I can get elsewhere.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, Microsoft was responsible for breaking Bing, so...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Hahaha, this place. The company that handles our SAN sent a quote for a service renewal. I took the PO to the director to sign off on.

:v: Do we really need this? We've paid this before, why are we paying it again?

Yes. Yes we do. Let me explain annual service agreements, friend.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

Hahaha, this place. The company that handles our SAN sent a quote for a service renewal. I took the PO to the director to sign off on.

:v: Do we really need this? We've paid this before, why are we paying it again?

Yes. Yes we do. Let me explain annual service agreements, friend.

Well people usually want to make sure they aren't wasting money for a service they aren't using. If you aren't sure investigate into the undocumented. Nothing wrong with calling up a company and going "Hello this is Larches, I just started at %company% taking over for %previous person%. I received a bill and don't see your company documented. Can you go over what you do for us?"

They should be happy to tell you (since you basically said tell me why I shouldn't cancel the contract, but nicely). If they were heavily involved previously they are usually very happy to go over everything to keep business. You are a new face, maybe you have your own person you want to bring in.

Obviously switching SANs in a huge ordeal, keep with the current provider for that. My boss asks if we really need a company if the name isn't intimately familiar. It's just good practice to trim unneeded services, or to look into replacing them in the coming year.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A spooky ticket came in:

Six months ago we took away a company phone from a staff (Susie) because it wasn't used enough to justify paying for. I deactivated the line with Verizon and we don't own the number anymore. I wiped the phone and gave it to another staff to replace theirs (so it got a different SIM).

This morning at 2 AM, my supervisor gets a text from the number saying "Hey Dave", which is his name. He thought it was from Susie because he still recognized the number. So a few hours later he texted back "is there something I can help you with?". In response, the number said "How are you?"

Today he asked Susie about it and she was clueless. So they both came to me. I have absolutely no idea how that could have happened. Everything I can think of is too much of a coincidence to make sense. Even if I assume someone is playing some prank, I don't know how it would be possible. :iiam:

Dave just texted back asking who it was and went home for the day, so I guess I'll check in tomorrow to see if he figured it out.

edit: I'm really hoping it texts back "This is Susie" :aaa:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
A new laptop came in. Nice, a T450 ultrabook! Finally they're not going the cheapest option.

Cool, RHEL 7.2 is out, I'll give that a test drive. I'll make a bootable USB.

Hm, USB imagewriter is not working. I'll use the console. "dd RHEL_7.2.iso > SDB"

Why did my PC shut off. OH COOL SDB IS MY SYSTEM DRIVE FOR SOME UNFATHOMABLE REASON.

Lucky I had a recent backup on a Seagate external!

"g: is not formatted. Would you like to format it?"

SHOULDA BOUGHT A BUFFALO.

(MFT all 0's. Backup MFT trashed. Disktools saved my backup, after 4 days of restoration, with 6 files lost: including my email archive)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

pixaal posted:

Good advice

I see myself doing this a lot in the future. Turns out we HAVEN'T paid for this before, at least directly. I've got to spend tomorrow figuring out which MSP installed the damned thing.

Anyways, I had a terrible fright, guys.

I was cleaning out and organizing my desk.

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

:negative:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I see myself doing this a lot in the future. Turns out we HAVEN'T paid for this before, at least directly. I've got to spend tomorrow figuring out which MSP installed the damned thing.

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Lord have mercy...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Larches, if there's any justice in the world, one day you will be able to go here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-Smashed-In_Buffalo_Jump

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Lolin irl

Its like a ghost that follows you

Back, ghouls!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

And the Buffalo, never syncing, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the dusty shelf of Spares just behind my cupboard door;
And its drives have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the LED o’er him blinking throws its shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted—nevermore!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUCfX1P1ik

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Elsewhere, the CE starts laughing maniacally...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's a technological severed horse's head.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

Now, aunt beth, translate it to Black Speech :D
The only snippet I could quickly find online:

Crash SAN notbacktūp, crash SAN GOTO 02,
Crash SAN noreplika, ugh virtual-iscsi extantpool

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DigitalMocking posted:

Kind of pissing me off today: HR declined to do a salary review this fiscal year.

I love where I work, but it's sticking in my craw to be 15% under what I can get elsewhere.

gently caress HR, make it your boss's problem. "Hey boss, I want a raise, this is how much I did for the company recently (money/hours saved by your actions if you can come up with a ballpark estimate at all), this is how much I want. What do you think?"

HR knows gently caress-all; they should not have anything to do with your salary. Your boss on the other hand has the ability to fight for you if he thinks you deserve it. If he decides not to, that will tell you something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Well, the nice thing is that now you can have a bonding experience with your new underling and ask if he'd like to go to the range with you after work for target practice.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

to go to the range with you after work for target practice.
A few years ago a previous employer was in the final stages of decomming all their distribution hubs for switches. They all were used by coworkers to for ballistic testing. 3Com equipment does not hold up well to shotgun fire, by the way.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

But the buffalo's back the very next day
The buffulo's back, they thought he was a goner
But the buffalo's back, he just couldn't stay away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Check with your new henchman underling minion co-worker to see if there are any more on the premises you should be aware of, and deal with them appropriately :toughguy:.

• Locked thread