Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
1200s are back, baby

http://www.technics.com/us/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess minimum $1500 maybe even $2000+ [and that's for the aluminum model], Panasonic is using Technics as its high end brand and it looks like they did a lot of work on this. The 1200s were so "cheap" for so long because they could just keep one assembly line running with minimal changes and this looks like they did some major work.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat I can't wait to take a home equity line of credit on my house to afford a pair of those.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Not gonna lie, that is a drat sexy looking turntable

I'm just glad my M3Ds are still holding up

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm still rocking the Audio Technica knockoffs / (replica?)

They're dirt cheap at $250 and seem to work okay

lugging wax to all vinyl sets is killing my back though

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I just hope this lowers the price of used 1200s.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

keevo posted:

I just hope this lowers the price of used 1200s.

Aren't they pretty much dirt cheap at this point?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

revmoo posted:

I looked a few years ago and the only ones that were under $500 were absolutely thrashed; bent tonearm, janky speed control etc. and now that replacement parts are dear it didn't seem worth it. Maybe it's changed in the last few years and in markets that aren't SF where literally everyone is a DJ.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

qirex posted:

I looked a few years ago and the only ones that were under $500 were absolutely thrashed; bent tonearm, janky speed control etc. and now that replacement parts are dear it didn't seem worth it. Maybe it's changed in the last few years and in markets that aren't SF where literally everyone is a DJ.

http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia/blog/2014/10/portlandia-throwback-everyones-a-dj

GC has them for $400 all day long. If I could get $800 for mine though I'd definitely trade em and use the cash towards either the Pioneer PLX decks or these new techs. I paid $500 for the set like 7 years ago (such a freaking steal at the time!)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd be interested to see if they feel any nicer than the Numark TTXs that I've gotten so used to. I mean they kinda have to really right? A lot of the 1200s I've played on previously have been old and janky so I can't really compare much, the TTXs are super tight though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mitztronic posted:

The sound cards on macs are pretty good. It's probably not too much to take it into an apple store or authorized repair center, depending on how long you plan to keep it before upgrading.

Depending on what quality, reliability, build, and how long you need it before upgrading, you can get a lovely <$10 USB sound cards that could possibly work.

It's one more piece of gear, one more thing to forget, one more thing to fail, etc. So if you only need it for a week or a month, a cheap one is the way to go, but if you're not going to upgrade for a year you should probably just replace the sound card on your mac.

edit: fixed

Worth the small amount of cash to try it out. Mac is 4 years old plus it's my work's (and they haven't asked for it back yet) Weirdly, I've only recorded on it 7 or 8 times. I have another Mac, but the Wifi on that is busted (I've taken it back twice) that too is 4+ years old so moving it around is a pain. They both still work in other ways and are great.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

Fuuuck no. I'll regularly see a used pair of 1200s going for $1300. Keep in mind a new 1200 was about $400.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

keevo posted:

Fuuuck no. I'll regularly see a used pair of 1200s going for $1300. Keep in mind a new 1200 was about $400.

Which sucks because I do not know where one of my 1200s is. It's been missing for several years. I just haven't pulled the trigger to get a used one. But depending on the price tag of the new ones coming out I may consider buying one because

vanilla slimfast posted:

Not gonna lie, that is a drat sexy looking turntable

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Keep in mind there are different models of 1200s, some are more expensive than others.

I wanna get at least one of the new 1200s because they seem like they'd be really good for digital ripping. That's a pipe dream on my budget though :v:

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Pretty clever of them to announce this today. I'm guessing they'll have a long line as soon as their booth at CES opens tomorrow.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Earlier today a company also unveiled the first newly produced vinyl pressing machines in like 30 years. I'm feeling like fuckin disco stu over here.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since we're on the topic, I've been thinking of selling one of my 1200mk2s. It's got a tonearm issue - something with the anti-skate; the needle will pull off of the record. I tried one of those tests (counterweight full back, no cartridge, moving anti-skate from off to full should force the tonearm to move to the center and then back) and the arm wouldn't move. It's my understanding that this could be anything from a screw that needs tightening to a bent tonearm - although the latter is extremely unlikely since it's been sitting in a case or on my desk for about two years. I had these decks tuned up by one of the top guys in Toronto a couple years ago and they worked flawlessly. He also replaced the cables with these nice braided high-gauge ones. Natch, his rate was steep so I'm wondering if this is something I could try to fix myself instead of going back to him. If not, what do you think a 1200mk2 with such an issue could grab on craigslist?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to The Verge the SL-1200GAE model with magnesium platter and tonearm will be $4000.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

qirex posted:

According to The Verge the SL-1200GAE model with magnesium platter and tonearm will be $4000.

Not sure I believe that.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

If they are specifically marketing to the audiophile community, I'd believe just about any price point

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

revmoo posted:

Not sure I believe that.
It's limited edition though! only 1200 made ever until the next special edition.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well obviously you're going to pay a hefty sum for a PREMIUM MAGNESIUM TONE ARM.

Might give my sister and brother my stantons and buy a set of 1200s. Any news if they increased the torque? That's the one thing i love about the new super OEMs is they all have super powerful motors

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
So $4000 a table for the new technics. Uhhh, guess everyone will be sticking to the used market and super oems!

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

b0red posted:

well obviously you're going to pay a hefty sum for a PREMIUM MAGNESIUM TONE ARM.

Might give my sister and brother my stantons and buy a set of 1200s. Any news if they increased the torque? That's the one thing i love about the new super OEMs is they all have super powerful motors

I don't get the torque thing. Like why would anyone use anything but a pair of used 1200s?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Scratching? Although the torque on the regular 1200s is more than enough.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Getting a turntable that has more torque than the standard SL1200 only really matters if you wanna do some really intensive battle dj stuff but even then it comes down partly to personal preference

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I don't scratch or anything but I prefer the torque of the TTX over a 1200, it's a pretty burly turntable. I can see how some people would prefer something lighter though.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dubplate Fire posted:

I don't get the torque thing. Like why would anyone use anything but a pair of used 1200s?

When I got my stantons it was cheaper to get them than used 1200s and they came with road cases which I use a lot. I've just grown used to how much pull the stantons have compared to 1200 so I prefer it. They're nice tables

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Vinyl is so loving heavy y'all

I'm just gonna get a computer I guess

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Vinyl is so loving heavy y'all

I'm just gonna get a computer I guess

Only people who have no friends use vinyl its cool fam.

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
Had a pair of 1210-M5Gs I acquired brand new for $840. Sold them to a friend for $900 in '09. I've been hating myself ever since. That blue LED and scratch adjust, drool.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think I'm going to trade down from my Vestax VCI-380, I need something more portable and USB powered. I'd hate to lose having 8 cue pads and the XLR connections on the back and the great layout scheme but I think I need the change up.

Can anyone recommend me a great controller older or newer that's USB powered, not extremely large or heavy, works with Serato, and is built to last? I might just end up going with a Pioneer DDJ-SR or something from that line of controllers.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.
So I finally decided to get a controller after spending far too many months messing around on the Algoriddim djay app on my wife's ipad. I went ahead and purchased the gemini G4V since it seemed like the most bang for the buck in the $300 or less price range, however being a total noob I neglected to notice that it has no Serato support, traktor integration seems off unless I just don't know wtf I'm doing setting it up, and virtual dj (which it ships with) seems to be universally universally despised so I'm hesitant to learn on it without having experienced the others first. I'm thinking I'll return it and get a used numark NS6 for around the same price, which should have plug and play support for serato. Any thoughts on how these two controllers compare, and why nobody seems to like/use virtual dj?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Eptar posted:

So I finally decided to get a controller after spending far too many months messing around on the Algoriddim djay app on my wife's ipad. I went ahead and purchased the gemini G4V since it seemed like the most bang for the buck in the $300 or less price range, however being a total noob I neglected to notice that it has no Serato support, traktor integration seems off unless I just don't know wtf I'm doing setting it up, and virtual dj (which it ships with) seems to be universally universally despised so I'm hesitant to learn on it without having experienced the others first. I'm thinking I'll return it and get a used numark NS6 for around the same price, which should have plug and play support for serato. Any thoughts on how these two controllers compare, and why nobody seems to like/use virtual dj?

Return it. Gemini produces bottom of the barrel garbage that only appeals to people who don't have enough experience to know why you don't shop on price alone.

The NS6 is a nice controller that will last you a while, and it will definitely unlock the full version of Serato DJ. I have no opinions on Virtual DJ since I've never used it but I've also literally never seen someone use it live so I'd say stick with Serato or Traktor. The NS6 will definitely unlock the full version of Serato DJ, btw.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I've seen a few people use it live. I haven't seen it blow out or anything, at least no more often than Traktor, but the interface looks pretty confusing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So after 2 years or so, the right channel inputs on both of my DDJ-SX channel 1 and 2 strips have died. Y'know, the useful ones that you can plug decks into or use for line in.

Also shout out to Pioneer UK for not having a contact email.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

88h88 posted:

So after 2 years or so, the right channel inputs on both of my DDJ-SX channel 1 and 2 strips have died. Y'know, the useful ones that you can plug decks into or use for line in.

Also shout out to Pioneer UK for not having a contact email.

Pioneer support is such a poo poo show. The one official repair shop in my city gets awful reviews so everyone I know just takes anything they need fixed to an unofficial one that's actually good, but obviously doesn't cover warranty repairs.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I have several hours on VDJ, serato, and traktor and VDJ is probably my favorite if I'm just loving around. It is different from the other two but gives you more information about the tracks you're playing, counts measures for you, has better beatgrids and is easier to adjust on the fly , but the UI and functionality on Traktor is better. I prefer playing at my friends houses who have VDJ because it's a lot easier for me personally to tell what's going to happen next on tracks I haven't heard before.

Serato is the program that I have on my home computer and I basically can't recommend it.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 10, 2016

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Try out Mixxx ( http://mixxx.org/ ) especially if you're just fuckin' about in your bedroom or w/e. Bunch of user created controller mappings out there as well as the 'officially supported' ones and it is pretty easy to map a controller that isn't in the list. Free, open source and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

apatite posted:

Try out Mixxx ( http://mixxx.org/ ) especially if you're just fuckin' about in your bedroom or w/e. Bunch of user created controller mappings out there as well as the 'officially supported' ones and it is pretty easy to map a controller that isn't in the list. Free, open source and all that

Daaaamn, that's pretty cool. Interesting that you can use it with a timecode setup. Any advantages over Traktor?