Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

darealkooky posted:

who ever says this episode is bad/not as good is a fool

It certainly wasn't bad, but I can't think of anything interesting to say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

It was definitely a 'weaker' episode but yeah it's not bad, hey it even had some character development in there. And Pen Pen.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Episode 9 is one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. The action sequence at the end is just so fantastic, I love everything about it.

Episode 10 is rather obviously inspired by 70s super robot anime, even more so than the series overall. The "concept brought up casually early on in the episode turns out to be the key to defeating the monster of the week" is a very common episode formula for shows of that time.

I've heard many express that these middle episodes are their least favorite part of the show, and I can understand why, even if I don't agree with it. The main plot takes a back seat in favor of more traditonal monster of the week stuff, and while I personally find it engaging I can understand that some find it frustrating.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The monster of the week stuff is good if only because it helps set up what the sense of normalcy of this new life is for Shinji, Asuka, and Rei. The kind of edenic state before the second half reveals that Pen Pen was an Angel this whole time and kills literally everybody.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It certainly wasn't bad, but I can't think of anything interesting to say about it.

it's a rly important episode in the overall series pacing

yeah it doesn't have any big fancy robot fight scenes and it's mostly slice of life stuff but there needs to be an episode where the good guys have an easier time so all the times they ~dont~ hit that much more effectively

also asuka is bae & she needed another episode that's got a big focus on her to balance out the first seven that were all rei/misato focused

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think it's easier to sit back and appreciate these episodes for what they are on repeat watches. it's easy to understand why someone on their first watch might be eager to see the plot come back

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Magma Diver was a necessary episode, in that it starts to really show what's at stake and the kinds of decisions being made on a daily basis.

In "Dance Like You Want to Win", they drop a bomb and it's joked about. "Welp, we're going to have to redraw all the maps". In contrast, in Magma Diver, if this operation failed, they were ready to drop the same kind of bomb into the volcano, sinking the entirety of Japan and killing themselves and however many million others in the process, because of what it could potentially trigger.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man, I haven't watched the previews on these discs and that was a mistake:

Farscape
Shadow Raiders (never heard of it)
Orphen
Arc the Lad
Nadia: secret of blue water
And an ADV gently caress yeah, anime DVDs! Promo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ha! Misato doing the Gendo posetm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started watching this show finally and the blu Rays are unbelievably pretty. I'm going to be making a truckload of GIFs this weekend once I catch up :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've always wondered why Ritsuko was scuba diving in LCL at the start of the show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I've only watched he first episode but I'm already emotionally drained experiencing everything again and knowing the fate of NGE.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some bits of Magma Diver are interesting, the stuff about finding an Angel in its embryonic state comes up again later and the 'thermal expansion in heat' scene at the end always gets a lol out of me, so it's not all bad.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

One of the things I absolutely love about NGE is how restrained they are about what they explain. None of the technobabble gets explained, the origins of the angels is never explained, with contradictions galore like this one being an embryo in a volcano, and later one coming in from outer space.
And it's good, because in the end none of that matters. It's about how the characters act and react to the situation they face.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone hasn't played the non-canon PS2 game where they explain everything in excruciating detail

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I wanna speedrun NGE64

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

why isn't there a game that's just xcom but you play as gendo and you're in charge of nerv

do I have to start a kickstarter

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't want to be Gendo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's just misunderstood

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

I've always wondered why Ritsuko was scuba diving in LCL at the start of the show.

I thought it was the purple coolant stuff, but either way it's probably because priority #1 at NERV is to kick back and have some fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One thing I noticed about Magma Diver that I don't think I ever have before: Shinji is actually disappointed that Asuka is fronting the mission and is about to volunteer to take over when she starts refusing, only Rei gets in first.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

One of the things I absolutely love about NGE is how restrained they are about what they explain. None of the technobabble gets explained, the origins of the angels is never explained, with contradictions galore like this one being an embryo in a volcano, and later one coming in from outer space.
And it's good, because in the end none of that matters. It's about how the characters act and react to the situation they face.

yeah. this is why i tell first timers to go with the flow because the show increasingly operates as pathos driven. all you need to understand the show's basic arc is the capacity for human emotion

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Oh, yes. One of the things this series does exceptionally well is ambiguity, and treating the "divine" as this incomprehensible force that can only just be prevailed against, even in lighter moments like now. Dance Like You Mean It is one of my favorite episodes, and Magma Diver is pretty good too. Both episodes emphasize that Misato is much, much better at her job than a lot of people give her credit for, and now that all the pilots have met, more personality traits emerge now that they're bouncing off one another: Asuka is super competitive and pushy, and quick to dismiss what she doesn't understand, and tends to project these qualities onto others, particularly Rei (who doesn't look like she even knows what competitive means); Shinji acts a lot more normally and indicates that he's a little more into piloting 01 than he lets on, and Rei displays god-tier passive aggression to Asuka's goading. It feels like things are hitting their stride.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

darealkooky posted:

why isn't there a game that's just xcom but you play as gendo and you're in charge of nerv

you wouldn't be Gendo, Misato is the ground-level tactical genius who orchestrates basically every last-minute save in the series

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Yeah that's what's great about Misato, are early scenes give you the impression she's a total mess and you wonder how the hell she has that job, but then it turns out that it's because she's extremely competent.

I'd play the hell out of a Misato simulator: Balancing saving the Earth, looking after two angsty teens and (most importantly) making sure you have a constant supply of beer in the fridge.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if i remember correctly the series was originally conceived of as having shinji and misato as co-main characters. that feeling kind of disappears by the time EoE rolls around, and in Rebuild it's obviously not the case, but i think it's a helpful lens for understanding the TV show

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

That does make sense, Misato definitely feels like a co-lead in places in the early stages of the show.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

darealkooky posted:

Fun fact, the original X-COM started out as, essentially, an unlicensed fan game of an old Gerry Anderson show called UFO, about an international organization called SHADO whose purpose was stopping alien infiltrators before they could invade and harvest all of our precious internal organs.

Hideaki Anno clearly watched UFO at some point and enjoyed it quite a bit, as Evangelion has several Aesthetic and stylistic homages to the series, the must obvious being that Eva's opening is a riff on UFO's opening titles.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 7, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, not as much as the second Big O OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyM5hbbBhRY

There are tons of Gerry Anderson influences in Evangelion, which isn't really surprising as his stuff was pretty popular in Japan and had an influence on the early giant robot genre.
Things sort of went full circle when Shoji Kawamori did a design for the recent Thunderbirds CGI series.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 7, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

Fun fact, the original X-COM started out as, essentially, an unlicensed fan game of an old Gerry Anderson show called UFO, about an international organization called SHADO whose purpose was stopping alien infiltrators before they could invade and harvest all of our precious internal organs.

Hideaki Anno clearly watched UFO at some point and enjoyed it quite a bit, as Evangelion has several Aesthetic and stylistic homages to the series, the must obvious being that Eva's opening is a riff on UFO's opening titles.

That opener is amazing. Any idea if the show lives up to it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That opener is amazing. Any idea if the show lives up to it?

It's very lo-fi and 70's British but still has some genuinely unsettling episodes. The costumes are pretty lol-worthy though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think my favorite influence on NGE is Ramiel being based on the random shape monster things from 2001's Stargate sequence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2001 did not invent the shape of "octahedron", so that seems like kind of a stretch to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It doesn't seem unlikely either though.

My favourite obscure reference it the code number they use for an Angel (604?) in episode 4 was the same as the code for the presence of the virus in The Andromeda Strain, and uses the exact same computer font.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This might have to be taken to the main Eva thread, but SEELE is literally run by evil versions of the Monolith, who are trying to cause humanity to devolve. NGE's very premise is related to 2001. I don't really see how it would be unlikely for Ramiel to be a reference, especially when they're "octahedrons" used in such similar ways.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I had no idea about UFO, that's really interesting.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you wouldn't be Gendo, Misato is the ground-level tactical genius who orchestrates basically every last-minute save in the series

gendo would work better imo because he's the one that has to answer to stuff like the UN & the mysterious council of dudes in rainbow chairs while misato is 100% concerned with just making sure nerv does their job properly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All Gendo actually does is sit behind a desk, smile knowingly when something goes right and go 'all according to keikaku'

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

E: I'm dumb, misremembering which episode it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

darealkooky posted:

I had no idea about UFO, that's really interesting.

It gets pretty deep too, Edward Straker (the main character) is basically a nicer version of Gendo and part of his character arc involves his family life falling apart.

• Locked thread